The Ice Witch WIP

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Ice Witch WIP

Hi I am really enjoying this Witch concept, She is part oh my project to Witches history book, I already start working on.

So there's some work to do here I am posting how far I am going at date, if it's need it, I can post her sketch although I did some modifications on her face features, were a bit off the eye line and her lips...I hope this time looks better...and there will be some mayor ice blue and green shades ..so the silver white will be my main contrast color....

WHAT DO YOU THINK? DO YOU LIKE IT SO FAR? I am really posting here since I care much the voice and opinion of all artist to get the right idea of improvements and good points to polish them up!

THANKS

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by axelalonso; July 24th, 2008 at 07:39 PM.
    Axel's Gallery Art you?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I think I will add the head of a death wizard, she collects their heads as a trophy or lucky charm...inside crystals to absorb their power...what you guys think?

Axel's Gallery Art you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hm, the head definitely looks like an addition you never planned from the start, like an afterthought - I'd either rethink the entire composition, as she's completely ignoring it (not in a nonchalant way, but in a "there's nothing there" way) right now, or leave it out again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GoldSeven For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldSeven View Post
    Hm, the head definitely looks like an addition you never planned from the start, like an afterthought - I'd either rethink the entire composition, as she's completely ignoring it (not in a nonchalant way, but in a "there's nothing there" way) right now, or leave it out again.
    Good insight ! yes I might get confused the main character and her power since I did get the head idea after the whole composition ! Alright! I will just keep going as it is then ! Thanks so much !

Axel's Gallery Art you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, this is looking like it's coming along pretty well!
    I like how the rendering on the dress is coming.

I'd fiddle around more with the anatomy of the face. Right now the nose is too long, making the mouth too low on the face. The mouth is also too small. Remember that the corners of the mouth line up vertically (more or less) with the middle of the eyes. The hands too could use an anatomy check, especially the fingers on her right hand.

Also, it would be nice to see an indication of where the knee and maybe the foot are under the robe. That way we can get a better idea of how tall she is and it doesn't look like she is floating around without any bottom limbs.

Looking good! Rock on!

...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mute For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mute View Post
    Hey, this is looking like it's coming along pretty well!
    I like how the rendering on the dress is coming.

I'd fiddle around more with the anatomy of the face. Right now the nose is too long, making the mouth too low on the face. The mouth is also too small. Remember that the corners of the mouth line up vertically (more or less) with the middle of the eyes. The hands too could use an anatomy check, especially the fingers on her right hand.

Also, it would be nice to see an indication of where the knee and maybe the foot are under the robe. That way we can get a better idea of how tall she is and it doesn't look like she is floating around without any bottom limbs.

Looking good! Rock on!
    THANKS I will work on that today ! your right that's some anatomy check for sure! and I will post the next one with her leg's indications....although I don't think the canvas can grow more ...never the less I will post like you said so we can see better, Thanks again

Axel's Gallery Art you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think a good anatomy check would help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjacat11 View Post
    I think a good anatomy check would help.
    YuP ! I am working on it as also the legs and hips reference under her cloth ! Thanks for the feed back!

Axel's Gallery Art you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flip the entire image horizontally and some stuff will pop out at you. I think people have already said things about the faces. Build them up slowly, thinking in 3D. The anatomy should be built from the ground up, in other words, think flow, grounding/balance, skeleton, basic muscle shapes, and then add your clothing. As far as the folds go on clothing, take a look at some clothing. Look at your own in the mirror and you can obtain the basics of how it will flow.

Keep at it.

Boston Splinter Cell 36
    Jushra | Purb36 | PartialArtist | Vorp | Kongni

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jushra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jushra View Post
    Flip the entire image horizontally and some stuff will pop out at you. I think people have already said things about the faces. Build them up slowly, thinking in 3D. The anatomy should be built from the ground up, in other words, think flow, grounding/balance, skeleton, basic muscle shapes, and then add your clothing. As far as the folds go on clothing, take a look at some clothing. Look at your own in the mirror and you can obtain the basics of how it will flow.

Keep at it.
    Thanks so much I am posting some edits I hope it add more value to the composition...I take all your feed back and will work on it ! Thank you!

Axel's Gallery Art you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I am posting 3 images;
    1 new Face...hope it works I did the lines and proportions and they match...and when I flip the image does looks fine..maybe it's me if so let me know Thanks!

2-Silhouette's shape of her body over the cloth to get a better folding value and volume.

3- Legs position...is it needed the feet I did it very rough this so if I need to polish I'd like to know, THANKS SO MUCH !

Axel's Gallery Art you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    She's seems off balance and her boobs are high on her chest and too balloony, maybe these will help a bit, and make sure your drapery still expresses the form underneath with the shapes of your folds.

Keep up the good work!

"Today, a young man on acid, realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves... here's Tom with the weather." - Bill Hicks

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sig.NAL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks SOO much You nailed it the off the balance point I was concern about it, I even open her legs but wasn't sure if that was starting to get to common hip line, and taking off some of her personality...the fold will be changed to the new position acting it out already with a a big cover hahahaha! So I am going more for the cross walking leg position it's a better curve pose action ...more feminine I think Thank so much !
    This simplification of my mistake help me lots Thanks you! sorry about the slow posting process, but I had some troubles with my computer all working now so will post soon !...Thank you! : D

Last edited by axelalonso; July 12th, 2008 at 05:04 PM.
    Axel's Gallery Art you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you're welcome it drives all of us crazy when we can see that something's off but don't see what it is. more than happy to help.

Last edited by Sig.NAL; July 12th, 2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: improper grammar
    "Today, a young man on acid, realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves... here's Tom with the weather." - Bill Hicks

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sig.NAL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Soo thanks so much for the look and feed back everybody and also again thanks to KLEVR...you help me to understand best what was also bugging me ....

I am posting what I got now the latest upgrade on the legs position, didn't follow well my design for silky normal dress skirt, so I add the mermaid cut! she will got more silver silk and ice glow dust on her dress....I alway love that glow when I see the snow falling on the ground..although will be more colorful! ..coz she's a witch and they love to show off!

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK....ITS A WIP SO NOTHING ITS DONE YET ...

Axel's Gallery Art you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the entire piece is too bright, for what looks to be a night time sky. She looks like she's hanging out in diffused mid-day sun, but the sun is setting in the background.

Pushing the range of your lights and darks in the figure can help add shape Doing that will also help with the visual focus. It feels like alot of the elements are in competition with one another for the viewers attention.

Right now, my eyes keep bouncing around from her chest, to face, to the crystal to the Ice crystals<---?? around her hands to the skirt to the belt to the lower part of the skirt etc. Making areas darker also means you don't have to spend as much time rendering textures.

Maybe change her eyes so that she is looking directly at the viewer, that will immediately become a stronger focal point since our brains are wired to look at someone's eyes when they are looking at us. It could provide a good resting place for our eyes in an otherwise visually busy piece

here's a paintover showing what i mean . in the lighter areas like on the upper part of her skirt you can still have that cool cloth texture that you have and the scales on the belt. By blocking out some of those details with darker shapes, you don't have to paint every single one of them, while at the same time increasing the effectiveness of those details. It's like when you order a steak at a nice restaurant. At the fanciest ones, your steak is divided into small cutlets so that you can start enjoying the food immediately instead of spending time cutting it

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sig.NAL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    KLEVER! WOW! Thanks so MUCH! you made my day and week....sorry I didn't replay I 'd suffer an accident with my back during this weekend, and couldn't draw or paint at all...I am all better now so i did a quick work on her ...I will also change her eyes...I forgot to do that ...I agree to all you point ...having different details and telling lots of things its' my weakness I always try to get to much into the piece that I don't get the main focal point clear...You are wise my friend Honestly! Thank you! You had helped to get the work on her to another level ...and also for my self!

here's what I did today my 1sth day of free back pain!

Axel's Gallery Art you?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.