Brush picking up colors not in marquee
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Brush picking up colors not in marquee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Brush picking up colors not in marquee

Okay, first off-- I'm pretty much a Painter noob.

So I would very much appreciate your help, gents. Okay, check out the screen shot below:

Check out the downward stroke that I just did. I've got a section of the drawing selected in a marquee (the flesh part on the guy's face). Here's my problem-- when I brush over the area, the brush picks up the colors from the part that isn't selected (in this case, the white/gray colors on the guy's sideburns).

I was wondering if I could stop that from happening? Meaning, I'd like to have the brush lay down browns without picking up whites and grays.

This is Painter X by the way.

Thanks for any help! Sorry if I broke any forum rules or anything-- I don't post often.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

Any brush variant that has blending and smearing characteristics will paint white on transparent areas of a Layer.

The Artists' Oils Blender Bristle is one that, in its default state, blends existing color. Since there's no existing color on transparent areas of a Layer, that's why you're seeing white in the brush stroke.

Try this and see if it helps:

1. On the Property Bar, move the Blend slider to 0%. This will eliminate the blending and the brush stroke may appear darker as it's not mixing/blending with other (lighter) color.

2. To control how dark the brush stroke is, adjust the Opacity slider lower until you get the result you want.
    Save your file frequently in Painter's native RIFF format and for the first save, use File > Save As. Then for following saves, use File > Iterative Save and Painter will automatically add a number at the end of the file name, a new number each time you use File > Iterative Save. Now you'll have a series of numbered versions and if anything goes wrong, you can go back to the last saved version and continue.

The numbered series of files will look like this:

my_painting.rif (first save using File > Save As)
    my_painting_001.rif (second save using File > Iterative Save)
    my_painting_002.rif (third save using File > Iterative Save)

.... and so on.

Also read this tutorial at PixelAlley:

Cheers!

#

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All brushes with Blend in Painter will always A) blend with white or B) Pick up the neighbor colors or the ones at the bottom layer if you have Pick Up Underlying Color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jin, Portus, big thanks for the info and link!!! Much appreciated.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.