Sketchbook: Zap! Book - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Zap! Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few more studies. One of the skull structure from the last imaginefx magazine, was watching tv and tried to quickly squiggle drown the person's features, and lastly a comission I'm working on.

ninjacat11- me too! i can't decide if it'd be more person like, or more creepy monster like in behavior...
    RandalThor-thanks! i saw the beginning of the Swedish(?) version of that show. creepy cool stuff in it.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Dorkthrone is offline The skyline was beautiful on fire. Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The skull structure one is really nice. Kudos to you on that one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More t.v. drawings and some observational shoes.

Dorkthrone is offline The skyline was beautiful on fire. Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The line quality is smooth as always.

Were the colored stuff in the first picture digitally done or did you use markers or something?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great updates I especially love the first shoe sketch, ninja is right, you do have wonderfully smooth and expressive lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ninjacat11- Thank ya! The green were some splotches from a paintube (an accident, but I went with it...) and the blue lines at the bottom were from a crappy scanner. for some reason it does that with colored scans (???).

drewfarr- haha thanks! I think the "expressiveness" comes from the line exercises I do every morning (I don't post them 'cause they're hella boring looking). Basically I draw 3 pages (6 sides) of lines & circles every morning, using mostly shoulder movement (on big paper). It's an industrial design drawing technique I was taught. (although it could apply to other mediums. derh)

Anyways, quick monster painting. Painting (especially digitally) always irritates the crap out of me and I usually end up quitting before I hardly began. I think it's because I get bogged down in color choices. So I here I did it in all grey.

Which brings me to a question, how does one paint over their greys with color in photoshop? I've seen that in tutorials that an illustration often starts off in a greyscale and then color is added once they get the value. Do they paint directly on top or do they do some kind of layer setting? I'm confused. Maybe I'll take my question to a new thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 775 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of times I paint in greyscale and add in color later. Or I wait until later in the painting to mess around and change the colors on various elements to improve the focus. I use a combination of 2 ways, the first being Image > Adjustments > Variations. I typically use Variations to give a greyscale img a base color or rope up different elements with the freehand select tool and variation them as well, then make a new layer set to Color, which is the second way. I usually use a few color layers and build up the tones gently. And sometimes, if the painting is light and needs more value, I use a layer set to Multiply, and I think some ppl use the Overlay layer setting to adjust colors/temps as well.

Hope that helps give you some ideas And btw I love the pencil sketches. I'm amazed at how well you convey values in your drawings. Keep up the good work ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moroi: I usually just paint right on top of it, attempting to use the greyscale as a guideline.

Quote Originally Posted by dierat View Post
    A lot of times I paint in greyscale and add in color later. Or I wait until later in the painting to mess around and change the colors on various elements to improve the focus. I use a combination of 2 ways, the first being Image > Adjustments > Variations. I typically use Variations to give a greyscale img a base color or rope up different elements with the freehand select tool and variation them as well, then make a new layer set to Color, which is the second way. I usually use a few color layers and build up the tones gently. And sometimes, if the painting is light and needs more value, I use a layer set to Multiply, and I think some ppl use the Overlay layer setting to adjust colors/temps as well.

Hope that helps give you some ideas And btw I love the pencil sketches. I'm amazed at how well you convey values in your drawings. Keep up the good work ^^
    I'll have to try that idea sometime. Now I just need to get Photoshop Elements installed on my other computer...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dierat- Thank you! I tried the technique of doing a new "color" layer, I think it worked great for something like this that is so simple. It helped me get a starting point.

ninjacat11- yeah, that's what i thought most artists did. you should try the color layer technique! it seems like a good launching point for me.

I tried adding another layer, "Color", and then after I got the color I wanted I did another layer with some textured brushes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the update on your digital piece, moroi. The textures really help bring out that creature much more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A agree with ninja, the texture looks great. But be careful about the texture sneaking off the edge or over lines. When it does that, it makes the whole thing feel more 2d, like the texture is just an overlay, you know?

Cant wait for the next update :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ugh! i forgot to post i was on vacation without a scanner.
    here are a few from one sb, i'll scan in my others tomorrow. now off to comment!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the nice sketchy feel your pictures have to them. Gives them a sense of kinetics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man. great pencils and so.

congrats. keep on

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.