Art and marriage?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art and marriage?

I don't know if this has been asked already,
    but recently I've been thinking alot about it lately.

I'm 15, so this is far off, but it's something that I look forward to, and I want
    to try and lay these worries to rest.

I know I want to pursue a career in art and do only that.
    However, I'm wondering, how does one go about marriage?
    Is it common for an artist to marry another artist? Is it a bad idea?
    Is it common to find a spouse who will support such a career?
    Or is the path of an artist a lonely rode?

I don't know if these are stupid questions, and I'm not even sure
    I've gotten my point across, but any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artists are people, they do what people do. They're not tragically misunderstood geniuses who cant connect with "normal" people. They get married, they have friends, they put their pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else.

I would say the ideal partner will support your career. If they dont, then that is a problem and you shouldn't marry them. Pretty simple. Artists marry other artists all the time, but its not a requirement for happiness that both parties must be artists to love and understand eachother.

Of course, before you consider marriage it is my opinion that you are in a well founded career so I would worry about that first before a wedding. You're 15, you have all the time in the world to get married and settle down. Concentrate on your art first and get into a good job. If you meet a nice girl or boy and they are the right one for you, then they should be willing to wait and support you while you get your feet on the ground.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What the hell, dude. You go out, meet people, fall in love, and if you're compatible you get married. You don't pick and choose from a catalogue.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashtonw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a married artist with one child. My advice - get all the training you can before you have children or responsibilities. At my point, I'm not near the level I want to be, and my tracks now delayed for years. I do what I can, and I enjoy my family. So long as you're young now, train and study all you can, and then see where life takes you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not gonna call it a stupid question - but it's really subjective. If you learn how to balance your life it should never matter what your career is in comparison to your personal life really - find the girl/guy of your dreams? If you don't marry them I'm damn sure it'll be for far bigger reasons than artistry.

But hey, there are some artists that move from studio to studio, never really settling down..... there are some artists who prefer being alone.... and that is their choice, obviously they choose not to worry about such things because they want to focus on putting more emphasis on work or something.

Very. Subjective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artists should stick to their own horrible, loathsome kind and not inflict the rest of the gene pool with their deviant mutations.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tmbritton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, ok.
    Yeah, I mean, I'm not worried about getting married right away.
    That actually was a horrible statement I made, dunno what I was thinking.

I think what I meant to ask, is does the average artist make enough
    money to support a family? Or is it a major struggle to have a steady life?

I've just been hearing lately that rarely will an artist make it and
    that it's a crazy struggle to make a living off art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Generally speaking a lot of artists struggle for income. It's sad but true. However the more you push to be at your very best and pursue this venture the easier it will generally be to support yourself. It's not really the sort of job that most people consider as an accounting 9-5 job where you just put some effort into - you gotta push.

So it's some work to be able to support yourself - let alone a family - but it is feasible and quite a few artists do it in some fashion.

I seriously recommend getting a well rounded education though if you can. As I was told when just beginning - it's good to have a backup plan for those rainy days and the more you can do in life, the easier that gets. I didn't listen to them as much as I should have, that's for sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know about your personality, but I feel as though if I were to marry someone who did the same type of job as me, I'd be compelled to compete with him. Which, this could be good and motivating but it might cause too much friction in the long run.

There are other types of people with careers that require creativity, and these people would probably understand and appreciate what you do more, as well as help with the creative process. Like if you were to marry an author or other type of writer, or a musician/composer, or even an architect, etc... So you could get someone who respects your job without competing directly with you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, my advice is to make sure someone you marry supports your interest in art. It is hard to divide time between family and art...you will find yourself short charged easily, so someone who supports your art career is a *must*.

-Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd suggest marrying somebody really, really rich.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I mean obscenely wealthy.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo_zombie View Post
    Haha, ok.
    Yeah, I mean, I'm not worried about getting married right away.
    That actually was a horrible statement I made, dunno what I was thinking.

I think what I meant to ask, is does the average artist make enough
    money to support a family? Or is it a major struggle to have a steady life?

I've just been hearing lately that rarely will an artist make it and
    that it's a crazy struggle to make a living off art.
    It depends on what kind of work an artist does and how dedicated he/she is to her craft. If you are a full time production artist, such as an animator, you can make a very decent living. It is much more difficult, but not impossible, to make a decent wage as a "fine artist". Do you know what kind of art you would like to do for a living? When I was your age I had no idea how many different career paths an artist could take, there are many choices available for you.

I married a very creative person who understands how much discipline and hard work goes into an art career.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For the record, I put on my pants both legs at once. And I yell "whoopAH!" while I do it.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    like my art teacher told me in college, just look around you everything and anything involves art,

examples

look at your furniture, someone designed that
    look at your car someone designed that
    look at your clothing someone designed that

we actually spent 30 miniutes trying to find a exception but for the most part it had some influence with art

as for making money, honestly i dont think well known artist are in it for the money, or a type of living. You actually care about your work, and the end result. Its a powerfull thing when you wont let go of your art work regardless of how much money is offered to you.

Honestly i think artist in general live a better life, have better life. Your always thinking, pushing yourself, creating things, making things look more simple then they are.

pefect example

in art you want to look for basic shapes take away all that detail, and just make it simple for yourself.. i use that same concept with everyday situations, just divide it apart to see the basic situations and just deal with one situation at a time, makes life 1000 times easier

to put this in perspective

ART= a good life

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Focus on training now. If you love art, train, study, learn, and practice. Art isn't something you have to make a living at. Once you've learned enough and seen what kind of creative opportunities are out there, it'll be time to choose some goals. If your artistic goals don't span an entire lifespan, then figure some other way to get money, etc. Remember, Harper Lee only ever wrote one book. That's why I don't care if I ever make a livng at art. For me, it's learning the lessons and being able to teach them myself that's most important, at least for the moment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nintendo Zombie, I'd say study like others are suggesting, and also try not to worry yourself about marrying an artist, so to speak (as someone else suggested I think). You never know what a person will be like with you. They could be a janitor that isn't into the art you're into, but appreciates that you're doing your best. They could be an artist, maybe doing what you're doing, but they're a jerk that puts you down for every mistake you make and every thought you have.

You may have a ways to go (if you so choose), before you settle down with somebody. So much freedom to be had, so I say enjoy it while you can!! ...Of course I'm "ALWAYS" enjoying my freedom, so what am I sayin'? Anyway, and if someone loves you and wants to marry you (and you feel the same), whatever characteristics you both have will be appreciated over time anyway!! Well, for the most part.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly, don't even think about marriage for another...20 years. o_O
    Yeah, that seems good.

But seriously, I'm only 18 and I've gotten plenty of lectures from adults and have seen enough stuff to keep me away from relationships for a good time until I personally feel I'm ready.
    I was working in a club once that was having a benefit dinner/dance/fundraiser, and all of these drunken women, ranging from their 20's-40's kept grabbing me, telling me to not get married, not have children, and stay away from boys; to live my life first and then think about all of that other stuff later.
    Which is true.
    We're not like scientists or doctors or accountants. We can't just read books, say we're learned, and go through our lives reading a few new transcripts of technological discoveries.
    Our craft is more of a constant obsession that is never done and constantly evolving and for a life like that, I think, aside from bogging us down, it wouldn't be too fair to put other people in our environment too early on.
    I actually really LOVE children, but if I'm constantly at my drawing table, and not giving them the attention they need to develop, well...I'd be missing out on a lot. When I do plan on getting [adoption] children, I'll probably make sure I have enough saved up, am in a good position to support others, and slow down or stop my art work to completely devote all of my time on them.

Dating is fine [though i still don't want to do it], because there aren't too many requirements and responsibilities as marriage. I think the ideal guy for me though, wouldn't be an artist, but someone in another creative field, like a musician or something. They understand the hardships and dedication that creative occupations take but since we'd both be doing completely opposite forms of expression, there wouldn't be a sense of competition. D:
    Plus, what could be better than being serenaded with a beautiful piano or violin piece while drawing? D: Nothing.

So. Yes. There's my two cents. D:

25. The Following User Says Thank You to t0po.inc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going with Elwell's idea. Nice thing about RISD is that we have all the rich Brown girls down the street. (at least, in the fall we will)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I enjoyed getting married young and the divorce was...spectacular...I don't recommend scripting your life...that really sucks...

it's just not conclusively evident that married people live happier lives, though, so do what you like

---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know anyone that got marriage right the first time and most of them have kids from the previous marriage, so they have to work 2 jobs just to pay child support and the bills (or 1 job with lots of OT).

15 is sooooo young. Focus on school, and try to go to college even if you don't study art in college, but if you do study art, then that's great too. Take advantage of every opportunity for free and cheap education while you can as well. Get involved with any art programs/classes in your high school, That's one thing I regret that I didn't do. I just wanted to get out of HS so bad, and I missed out on stuff like that.

and finally...
    @Stoat: You mean like this?

A: Because everybody knows that white is the default race.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Samurai_em For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My wife and I are both artists - we met at Art School - it was the only good thing about going to Art School.

We are very happy, but happiness doesn't buy pancakes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, dang, well now I'm totally confused.
    I mean, I've always dreamed of doing art for a living. I love art.
    However, I don't even know if I can make it into college!

Oh well, what happens, happens, for now, I'll take the advice, live life, and draw like a mad man.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Put all these questions in a little box, bury it in the back of your mind with a note saying "Do Not Open util grown up". Till then, have fun.

My work: [link]

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Bradley View Post
    Nice thing about RISD is that we have all the rich Brown girls down the street.
    Man, if that 'B' wasn't capitalized, RISD would be my idea of heaven.

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DSillustration For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DSillustration View Post
    Man, if that 'B' wasn't capitalized, RISD would be my idea of heaven.
    Heh. Not to worry. Noah is totally kidding himself, anyhow. I went to RISD. Brownies didn't like us any more than townies did. A friend of mine once described the area between Angell and Waterman streets, "the only place I've ever lived where cars speed up to hit pedestrians."

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.