Art: After Effects vs. Toon Boom

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: After Effects vs. Toon Boom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

After Effects vs. Toon Boom

Hey there everyone,

I'm starting an animation project very soon and I was wondering which program the forum would recommend: After Effects or Toon Boom.

The project itself is probably going to be more along the lines of a complex animatic rather than a fully animated short. There will be some movement of characters and such but, primarily, its going to be a lot of push ins and pans and so forth and also playing around with the background. I've already started learning more about After Effects (puppet tool and so forth) but I was wondering if anyone thinks that Toon Boom might be better for any particular reason.

Any input would be great.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Howdy Dave,
    Toon Boom Studio is my tool of choice, pretty much exclusively these days. Even so, there are things that it does not do well:
    -- handle many bitmap/jpeg images
    -- blurring anything
    -- rotate the camera

That being said, if you will be drawing your creations (with a tablet of some kind, presumably), and will only be zooming the camera in and out in a sort of faux-3D space Toon Boom Studio can work for you.

I should mention that the far-more-expensive Toon Boom Digital Pro has just introduced true 3D objects. That's not the app I use though, so I can't speak to its ease of use.

In the end, I think the true decision should be based on whether or not you'll be drawing in the program directly, or scanning and importing. Drawing directly in the program is Toon Boom's greatest strength. For scanning/importing I suggest looking elsewhere.

I hope this helps your decision. Rock on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, ToonBoom Storyboard is very good for drawing the frames digitally. But if your scanning in drawings, AfterEffects is a really good choice.
    I dont know too much about ToonBoom, though you can colour straight onto it. Though with AfterEffects you can use Photoshop alongside it.
    Depends what your most comfortable with. Im a lover of AfterEffects at the moment. Theres some great AE tutorials here:

http://library.creativecow.net/tutor...beaftereffects
    http://www.videocopilot.net/

Ive heard Shake is surposed to be really good. Can anyone tell me about that program? My school is forcing people to switch to Shake but Ive been learning AE so Im more comfortable with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, you're pretty much confirming what I originally thought in the first place. The elements that I'm going to be animating are going to be don in photoshop, and possibly illustrator by someone else so it looks like after effects is the way to go.

bendragon- to the best of my knowledge shake handles compositing and color correction stuff. as far as i know, and i could be wrong, its used more to manipulate footage than to do motion graphics or anything like that.

...though i could be mistaking shake with smoke.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ive been given a brief demo on compositing on Shake, but I wasnt sure if it could create a 3d camera like you can on AE. The guy in charge of the computer stuff in my school likes to go power crazy and we have to use Shake for compositing at least. Im not too sure if you can switch a project between AE and Shake?!?!?! Well, this guy also thought the digital painters should use GIMP instead of Photoshop. No chance I tell ye!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there shouldnt be any reason why you cant work with ae and shake together- both programs export media files recognized by non-linear edit programs like final cut.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

after effects toon boom!

Well i do like both. i think toon boon its great, but its not what im looking for if you are new doing any kind of animation i don't think toon boom is your application!
    there´s a new application (opensource) named pencil. http://www.les-stooges.org/pascal/pencil/ its very useful.

i dont use any of them right now! im working with photoshop cs3 new animation option and after effects. watch my latest try here http://ibrahx.deviantart.com/art/pad...final-93097252
    i spend two days doing that. isn't finished yet!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fwah?
    They're switching you onto Shake?
    That's bizarre. As far as I know Apple gave that program the kiss of death in favor of making a new compositing program from scratch.

Shake's an alright program.
    The node system is as powerful as it is unintuitive.
    You can animate in Shake in the sense that it has a keying system and a graph editor. But only just. It's like Zbrush in the sense there's great potential lying just beyond the steep Learning Curve Mountain.

Humm. By 3d camera you mean a parallax effect?
    Shake has a Multiplane node that can do that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've just had a play around with Toon Boom, and I think it's far more user friendly than AE - however, this is because it's nowhere near as complex as AE.

I guess you could go with either for your task really, just depends on which you're more comfortable with.

Members who have read this thread: 1