Sketchbook: Diary of a Noob - Page 2

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Diary of a Noob

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last skull study is really nice! Definitely draw more from life. Draw when you are in a bus or train or at school taking a lunch brake, draw random objects around your house. Draw your hands, draw self portraits through mirror it'll help you so much more than drawing from photo reference. Keep up the anatomy studies. The posemaniac stuff look's great but always remember what you draw from life beats everything else by tenfold because you learn so much more from it. Keep up studying vilppu and take in some Bridgman as well.

All the best.

"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
    -Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Listen to Yousa. Draw from life, and learn from Bridgman and Loomis. Good calls on both.

If you can't find people to draw, go lurk at Starbucks, the airport, at school, the mall's food court, anywhere where there is a constant flow of fresh faces. On good days, the gorgeous girl you're drawing will notice, or maybe the grumpy old man. It all makes for a good story, and a great life drawing outing.

Best advice I was ever given: Push your values further. Darker darks, brighter highlights. If you're using a reference, and you're going to add a detail, like cracks in the skull, go the whole way, make the cracks exactly as you see them, every single one. It helps to draw it exactly the way it is because it stores in your memory for when you get to the point that you can recall just how to render a skull without looking at one. Keep an eye on the proportions as well, and remember that you don't always have to stick with what's 100% shown to you, sometimes the ideal isn't the same as the real... In this case, your leg studies on muscles and bones are good, but a little too stalky and short compared to the originals if I remember correctly! Keep goin', man. Just put in the miles and you'll get there fast. Good stuff in here :]

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Nad, some nice sketches here, its good to see you trying a lot of exercises, variety will keep things interesting... are you following a structured approach to drawing? from a book or something? I think any complete guide to drawing will give you enough variation in exercises to keep things interesting and also cover the topics such as shading and sight seeing etc. Anyways, keep it up dude ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In truth, i'm not trying to distort anything..I'd like accurate muscles and anatomy before I start busting into character work, but I find that as I learn more muscles I forget more of the skeleton formation and alignment![/QUOTE]

The reason that your figures become distorted is you don't actually know where the muscles attach to the bone. You should make sure that you have that in your memory.
    Good stuff by the way.
    =================================
    Sketchbook
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120761

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    RandalThor: Love the Wheel of time Referance! Oh..and no, I'm just kinda winging it and attacking the areas I feel are kinda weak. Also, fishing about the forums for suggestions..theres a lot to find!

HumanNature6115: You're right. And I didn't realize it until last night, when I dusted off my alienthink.com anatomy dvds. I had been drawing loomis's muscle diagrams without thinking about it..but in the dvd's he explains the connections..and it makes SO much more sense now.

Warning! Drinking lots of beer can impair your senses. Please do so before you view my sketchbook!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...17#post1821417

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice body studies!!!
    Keep it up!

My Sketchbook [ACTUALLY UPDATED!]

I have 800 posts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Revamped And Renewed!

MUHAHAHA! Ok! So, under the advice of a few people, I did this torso study in a more realistic style..and also, I hit the anatomy dvds pretty hard. There are a few parts I'm not particularly comfy with..but overall, it seems more...solid, I guess, then most of my anatomy thus far

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Warning! Drinking lots of beer can impair your senses. Please do so before you view my sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An extreme improvement. Continue in your study of the human body, the resources you have are leading you the right way. Consider proportions as well, it seems that his arms are too thin compared to his torso, but I do see people like that and it does make my head turn...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Soft_hands:
    Actually, The arms were what I felt was off about this pic. Ive done the loomis sketches before, and I felt that perhaps there should be more muscle on the sides of the biceps?

In this study..I suppose my MAJOR I learned from were the neck muscles, and that the pec muscles and the upper arm muscle are the same thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, a definite improvement. However be careful with proportions, his head is definitely small for such a torso and as you said his upper arms are weedy for such a large torso. Don't even worry about facial features atm. You'll not see the forest for the trees.

Keep at it, it's nothing but practice baby!

*Tres Cute Sketch Group*
    ---no added monosodiumglutamate!!!---

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm...Well darn. I guess Ill bust out a ruler next time. The ratios are 2 heads for the torso's length, and 3 for the width, right?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wow, much better... the flaws...
    head: I dunno about its size, it seems to be okay for me, though head/body proportion is a weak point of mine, I've watched too much anime in the past
    but the eyes are too far from the nose and a bit too near to eatch other.
    torso: the outer ends of the clavicles are too low, so the shoulders aren't so nicely shaped, the curves are illogical and there's too much from the trapezoid. your previous, strange-scaled upper body had good head and shoulders, but now it's not the case. the breasts are too angular at the bottom and I think I will stop before I become too nitpicking
    arms: well, they're wrong. too slim and around the elbow the curve is just not like this.

it may sounds very harsh, but the not mentioned parts are good shaped it's strange to see such quality difference in a picture. you're improving quickly and I'm no doubt you will draw a really nice body in the near future, you're on the right way

14. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN: haha, thanks. I noticed in the dvd that he had wide, sweeping almost U shaped clavicles, and i didn't. That might be something I should crack open the anatomy book for. As for the face..yeah, I see what you are saying...but I think it gives him an interesting personality :3

The difference I believe from those last two pictures is understanding. In the first picture, I simply referenced my knowlege of the muscles..in this second one, I had some understanding of where they attach to the bone, which helps a ton. I'm still iffy on the abs though. The arms....confuse and confound me. That might be a lack of life drawing thing..but I wish I could see how it SHOULD be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK! Here is a little update from the project I'm working on. Its L from Deathnote (fanart for the girlfriend!)...or rather, his chair. Since the pose he will be in is in a chair, I thought for scale purposes, I should work on the chair first...and UGH...I hate perspective!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you didn't choose an easy pic... L in this armchair, it will be tough...
    the chair is nice, except those not so necessary inner lines/pattern, they're too tricky, but L will hide most of them anyway, right? but the main form is well done, I think.
    perspectivity is very useful and important, I will learn it one day... not my fav either (for the time being, I am obsessed with human anatomy only) I hope it will change when I will be better with it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Riven Phoenix, huh? Same with me, but you're more advanced

Nice drawings (I don't do digital much too ). I really like you're cartoony style, maybe you want to develop that when you're done with realism because you're really good at it. Keep it up!

riven phoenix rulz

My Skecthbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shinin: You're right..those parts are kinda iffy, but I felt compelled to draw them. Some of them will be visible, after all, because of the way he sits in chairs.

Silvenon: Thanks! Thats actually the plan. But I'm no where near the level I need to be to break out into my own stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all! I thought I would post an update for my "L in his Chair" Picture. MAN...drawing a character maquette in perspective is TOUGH. But by and large, its his pose thats killing me, the legs specifically. His camera right arm isn't finished because there will be foreshortening and use of a prop, which will mask some of the anatomy..so I need to get it right NOW.

I appreciate any comments you guys have. I took proportion into account for the top half of the body, but the bottom half..well, thickness etc kind of confuse me in this picture..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work mate, I like the skulls alot!

:
    In the absence of light, dark will prevail.

see my NEW sketchbook[UPDATED] http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=123027
    Trained by...
    http://www.thedrawingstudio.co.nz/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a few thoughts about L in the chair... I tried to collect my thoughts and think too, not just write what I feel, though my "feelings" usually are right, it's a nice ability, I can detect anatomical problems especially if there isn't disturbing clothes or very difficult poses.
    well, the torso seems too big for the legs. L's left leg is tilted, the right one isn't, so the two knees mustn't be on the same line (I dunno what should I call these lines for perspectivity), the right one should be higher.
    I think the legs are too far from each other...

but this is a difficult task and it progresses nicely

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little update on my progress (also going to the WIP section of the forums) I changed some things here and there, and I'm trying to establish a setting..STILL not sure what to add.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good job, it's much better, nice progress.
    the legs are okay for me the feet's pose is great, need some little refinement. the hands are okay. what does L hold in his hand?
    I still think he has upper body, more exactly, a huge chest.
    the chair is great, except the new bottom parts, they have some size and perspectivity problems (you definitely likes challenge, they're curved).
    the desk is a slightly tilted and too near to the chair, causing a tangental problem, the main object need a bit more air, I'm sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK! Since my girlfriend is awesome and was happy with the sketch of L so far...I've got a slightly more free schedule now...So I thought I would do a value study, as I know my values need work. Unfortunately, I find myself having a hard time looking at my values, and the ones on the paper, and telling if they are the same.

You guys might notice I didn't finish the scale...mainly because after a certain point, the pencil lead wasn't getting any darker. I found out that applying fixative to an area so shaded would let me go down some values...but I don't want to spray fixative in my bedroom at 2 in the AM...go figure. Anyway..I have prisma's and other resources to try this out with..but for another time.

(please forgive this picture, the scan quality is low, because tweaking the levels destroys the values i'm trying to present!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are on the right track my friend.
    Learn to put the figure in 3d space.

=================================
    Sketchbook
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120761

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK! This is something of an assignment from an unofficial (well..kinda. I'm not sure, really!) mentor of mine. Basically its a portrait of a person I found. Since I couldn't do one from life, I did this one from a picture reference in the latest ImagineFX magazine.

This one was to be done with only lines, no shading.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook. Almost identical name with mine. Didn't even notice there was one with such a similiar name.

You seem to be developing very fast. I like the faces.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK! I decided to break from the studies and do my own thing for these sketches. Nothing major here...just my attempts at designing unique faces and heads. I have to say, doing sketches like this really helps me figure out exactly where I should focus studies.

From this..I'd say I need to do some portraits of women..and hairstyles. Can you guys pick out the two I had good hair references for? I know I can, lol.

As for the last picture...ugh. Its horrible-ness only appeared to me after I posted it. *hands head in shame*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's so terrible about it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol..the portrait in 55 was set to a skull I very roughly fleshed out before i started drawing this. It was my downfall, as it ended up looking like a caricature >< Even more so....apparently I missed erasing something, because his teeth seem to be jutting out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think nothing wrong with posting "horrible, I know I can do it better" drawings to our own sbs I don't post my every little crappy thing, but once I had only weak quick studies, I posted them and had motivation to post some much better ones soon
    it seems you tend to place the eyes too near to each other on men's faces... and you drew every unimportant little line in #55, so the face became older and sharper (I dunno if it's the appropriate word, my English isn't good enough for such subtle things). but the similarity isn't bad, I think.

among the new faces there's a cutie in the bottomleft area. I'd like to see a more detailed and maybe a tad more realistic woman face, you need draw faces anyway... but it's up to you, of course, it's your sb

EDIT (after reading your new post): I have a feeling you require too much of yourself. it's good that you listen to your own mistakes and are demanding, but it's natural you don't make wonderful things right away. draw instead of thinking and feeling bad _too much_
    (this is for myself, too...)

Last edited by shiNIN; August 1st, 2008 at 03:31 PM.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2