Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Diary of a Noob

Thanks
    Haha, sure will, thanks! So now the battle begins...ADD Vs. ART!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Keep working at it and you'll get better in no time.

Thanks
    OK! I've been hitting the anatomical studies some more (via Loomis) and came up with the front, side, and back views of the legs musculature. In the front..Ill admit it looks a bit stumpy. What can I say..I was eyeballing it. In the back and side, however, I whipped out a ruler for the largest proportions (not the muscles, lol).

I will say that I seem to to be learning more about these studies from the times that I'm defining the shape of the muscles with the angular shading, rather then making the outlines of the muscles. Is that weird? Anyway, I quite enjoyed drawing from the back..but from the side, since I didn't have the landmarks like the top of the hip to work with, I had a much harder time of it.

Lastly...more of a conceptual study here. I've always felt the nose of any given character is something of a signature to an artists style. And...anime nut that I am..I'm searching for a good abbreviation of the nose that represents it well, but presents it in a very graceful, as few lines as possible approach.

OH! as a last note...I discovered a new method for processing sketches in my last post, that I didn't really mention. I KNEW there had to be a process I wasn't using!

Thanks
    OK! This update is more of a work in progress. I got a book on anatomy, and it has more then a couple really nice pictures..so I attempted this portrait, trying not to use smudging. (as I rely on it too much). If it doesn't look like the reference photo, its for three reasons:

1. This sketchbook is titled "Diary of a Noob"

2. I thought I would post this before I put hair on him..as hair is my weakest area.

3. (and most important) Rather then just copy down contours for the outline of the head and placement of the eyes, I tried to apply it to my knowledge of the skull.

Comments are welcome ^^

Thanks
    Ok, good - I'll pick up on the last post there. Good to see that you are working on "realism", as, as I mentioned on another thread, doing anime is of little or no use in improving drawing skills (I am not anti-anime as an artform - but, if you are a beginner as an artist, doing it "teaches" attitudes and approaches which are bad habits, and will severely hinder you, when it comes to drawing or painting just about anything else).

Several points, in no particular order..

If you use hatched shading, make the scale of it considerably smaller than the feature-size - otherwise it reads as edges, rather than shading.

Check your overall proportions - the cranial vault looks a little low to me, the eyes a touch too high on the head in consequence, the mid-face a little long, and the lips and chin a little short. In general, in young adults, eyes are about halfway on the vertical of the head from crown to chin, and hairline to brows, brows to bottom of nose, and bottom of nose to chin about 1/3 each. There is some slight variation from this of course, but the model hits those proportions pretty exactly (I realise you are working more on "anatomically plausible" than on "exact likeness").

Hair's no different from anything else - treat it as masses, don't think of it as individual strands. Squint at your ref, and pay attention to the big shapes, not the details.

Check out James Gurney's 2-part advice on doing hair here:
    http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/20...tring-mop.html
    and
    http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/20...on-secret.html

As general info on portraits, read this article about David Kassan's approach:
    http://www.myamericanartist.com/2007...jon-kassa.html

One technique you might like to try is to use black and white chalk/conte on a mid-tone paper - so that you are drawing by putting in the darks and the lights.

Keep going, lets see more.

Dave

Thanks
    Wow, thanks! To be honest, with the hatching..I wasn't exactly sure how to accomplish the medium tone of the skin, which is why it looks like his skin is made of pinstripes. Originally, I had put down the major shades in those smaller hatched areas, but then realized that I would need to establish a mid tone SOMEHOW so that the highlights would show.

In truth though..I've never been really happy with my shading attempts. I mean..I can get good effect out of smudging if I really put my back into it..but the professional crosshatching effects I see so frequenly in these sketchbooks seem to evade me.

Thanks
    Just a small update today as I mull over weather or not to make those suggested changes to my realism picture..Honestly, Reworking traditional media makes me hurt inside. The eraser dust! THE ERASER DUST!!!

...AAaaaannnyway..Here are some random heads, via the head tutorial in the forums here..Meaning I just drew some random shapes and filled them in with details. I dunno...I think I have a thing for noses or something..

Thanks
    Since the stuff in my last post was more creative then pretty....I did a bunch of profiles. I still need to work on my girls in profile. They just don't strike me as girly enough!

Thanks
    I decided I wanted to take one of my pictures I posted as a sketch earlier as an actual picture, so I thought I would post the lineart I just finished. I don't know though..I always feel unsatisfied with my lineart...like I could make it more...crisp somehow. more cool.

Oh, and this was done using SAI (as my painter X is having a wierd problem..I cant paint on the NON canvas layers!)

Thanks
    ok, something of a HALF post today, as (as per usual) My brain is scattered in a billion different places. Taking some of the comments from before into play, I raised the cranial cap of the profile up a little bit (surprisingly easy with photoshop) and thought..HEY, Ill paint this! 3 hours later...I realize that maybe it would have come in handy to have a full color photo rather then a black and white. ANYWAY..this is what I have so far.

Its worse without the lines ;.;
    Warning! Drinking lots of beer can impair your senses. Please do so before you view my sketchbook!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...17#post1821417

Thanks
    I was sniffing through some sketchbooks and I was inspired to go through the vilppu (spelling?) drawing manual some more. To that end...here is a bunch of cubes, jello bricks, and block forms!
    Warning! Drinking lots of beer can impair your senses. Please do so before you view my sketchbook!

Thanks
    Another update..yay! Lately I've been doing a lot of "Draw this piece" work..so I thought It would be nice to do a whole person, using some of this "Knowlege" ive amassed. SO...I ended up spending about an hour or so in my anatomy referance book. That little muscle area under the arm fascinates me..I need to figure out EXACTLY how to draw it.

I know it relates to the ribcage..just not exactly HOW.

Thanks
    OK! Since I'm going to be working on a bit of a side project for the next 10ish days (girlfriends B-day, gotta make a present!), I decided to make a more advanced study, to make up for the lost time. It took about 2 days of off and on work, and I tried a new technique for the overall drawing method and the sketching.

I found this awesome picture of a skull in my new reference book. Let me know what you think!
    Last edited by Nadesican; July 21st, 2008 at 12:19 AM.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast