Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks

Tonic's sketchbook (4th September, page 5)

As two-month vacation has started, I'm going to improve my drawing skill. From Tuesday, I'm going to draw outdoor works, mainly architecture type and perhaps I'll mix them with fantasy/S-F theme, to make it much more fun. Also, I'm going to improve drawing people, since I'm pretty bad at this

Also, I created this thread not only for sharing works, but to get critiques - I would really appreciate if someone can tell how I could improve my works, what I'm doing wrong and etc. I won't bite

For start, I'll attach few pictures. They're a test exams (I'm not sure if it's named correctly - those works are simulation of real exams to school where I was trying to attempt and still trying). Made in about 2 hours. I've used fineliner, marker and watercolours.
    Last edited by Tonic; September 4th, 2010 at 07:55 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    This is Serapeum. The quote from book said about the Serapeum temple, where you could see the statue of Serapis god. I didn't want to draw a classic architecture and Zeus-like statue, so I tried to make it a bit different :-P

Thanks
    Whoever has readed Frank Herbert, will know what's about It's a Diune and I had to draw a scene which included harvesting machine, convoy, sandworms. It could be sandworm going to attack, eating machine, or convoy attacking sandworm. Whatever you want In this scene you can see that soldiers killed sandworm child. Knowing that, I think you can imagine what's going on. And it won't be nice.

Thanks
    Future town. Nothing less, nothing more. I've used S-F theme and a Matrix motive, where machines were controlling human population size.

Thanks
    Hm, there I had to draw the scene of building defense on icy planet. Perhaps to defense from invasion?

I didn't like it much - mainly because of watecolours. Those green pillars were supposed to be light beams - they had to be brighter than surrounding. And atmosphere would be better if I used green light you can see in other works. Also, mountains are pretty unnatural.

Thanks
    It was a nice book quote from Lord of Ring series - it was describing a Tom Bombadil's house. I gave a fantase scheme and there you have a walking house

That's all, I don't have test exams works more - majority of them were left in my preparation school (it's a tradition, good works are taken by boss, so beginners would have a nice source of inspiration). Luckily, in September all works are photographed and burned to DVDs. As I get them, I'll post there.

Hope you like Also, I'm waiting for critiques!

Thanks
    Rolls Royce. I have no idea which model, the drawing was based on photo I found on net. 50cm x 70cm format, about 4-5 hours.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 919 Posts
    you've got some serious watercolor and perspective skills. *_*
    i can't give eany good critique, but i can say that you've motivated me to get off my ass and get a hang of perspective. :]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by a la bapsi View Post
    you've got some serious watercolor and perspective skills. *_*
    i can't give eany good critique, but i can say that you've motivated me to get off my ass and get a hang of perspective. :]
    Hey, thanks About perspective, a small hint - drawing complex geometrical blocks helps a lot - I think that's where I mainly learned perspective!

Well, about my works, seems that I have more works that I've done when I was preparing to exams, but forgot about them

Sketch with trees - drawn by rotring ArtPen with F size nib (it's a fountain pen for drawing):

Thanks
    The famous Atlantis. Don't bother with violet spill - it was accident

Thanks
    Jack and the Beanstalk:

Thanks
    That's one of projects - as architecture means projecting Also, it's a bit unfinished, it lacks one projection. A pension:

Thanks
    Another project - a public chair, so you would sit in town:

Thanks
    Last drawing - I have a few drawings to photo, but I will do it later. In meanwhile, enjoy

A town (the perspective is kicked to left, but it's caused by bad angle when photographing):

Thanks
    Oh well, I had to draw a lot during vacation, but I've ended with only few works But that's not what I would like to tell - I would like to announce that 10 days ago I've bought a Wacom tablet! Yay!

At begining, I was scaried by first doodles I've made, but after a lot of experiments with Brush creator, papers, layers settings and a lot of other things, I'm slowly getting idea how to work and I'm getting addicted to it, seriously
    A completely different drawing and painting styles, mainly because of layers, opacity and stylus pressure control, suits my taste totally. I don't like a time-taking planning and careful drawing/painting. It seems to take ages.. there, in digital, I can rush into without afraid - undo command, eraser, color, contrast adjustments and a lot of options will help.

Anyway, there isn't much works, since I was focused of tools experiments, but it's better than nothing Let's go!

This is one of first works, made with aerograph pen. It's a submarine inside underwater cave. Pretty speed work, but got me with mood. My dad says it looks like USG Anyway, it's up to your imagination:

After few works, I've concluded that I can't create nice works basing only on paint brushstrokes. Probably it's because I'm rather drawer than painter. So, to get a nice paint, I must firstly draw a drawing, then paint. And so, there we have effect:

Stil, I'm having problems with colours and light. I've said to myself I'm lacking true painter skills and I need to practise. Later, I wanted to draw just for fun. I've decided to use pencil with grain texture and that's what came out:

And drawn a another robot:

As you can see, the imitation of pencil on grain pattern is great!

Next, after improving a bit coloring skill, I've panted this:

I've used paper to make texture. It made robot much more interesting

I've also discovered that using only Dodge and Burn tools can create climax works, there are two examples, made in 5-10 minutes:

On second pic you can see some of fog - I've used pixlart's tutorial of creating Cloud Brush (or sponge, can't remember correctly). If you master this brush, it can give very nice effects!

Next picture shows closely how much I'm used with Cloud brush/sponge and dodge team/paper texture:

Next work was done with sponge&burn and a bit of oily brush. Made in 10minutes, randomly:

I have another two works made by traditional fineliner, one of them is a WIP for COW's beast. I will upload them tomorrow.

Probably buying tablet will become a best investment in my life

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast