Sketchbook: Tonic's sketchbook (4th September, page 5)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tonic's sketchbook (4th September, page 5)

As two-month vacation has started, I'm going to improve my drawing skill. From Tuesday, I'm going to draw outdoor works, mainly architecture type and perhaps I'll mix them with fantasy/S-F theme, to make it much more fun. Also, I'm going to improve drawing people, since I'm pretty bad at this

Also, I created this thread not only for sharing works, but to get critiques - I would really appreciate if someone can tell how I could improve my works, what I'm doing wrong and etc. I won't bite

For start, I'll attach few pictures. They're a test exams (I'm not sure if it's named correctly - those works are simulation of real exams to school where I was trying to attempt and still trying). Made in about 2 hours. I've used fineliner, marker and watercolours.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tonic; September 4th, 2010 at 07:55 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is Serapeum. The quote from book said about the Serapeum temple, where you could see the statue of Serapis god. I didn't want to draw a classic architecture and Zeus-like statue, so I tried to make it a bit different :-P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoever has readed Frank Herbert, will know what's about It's a Diune and I had to draw a scene which included harvesting machine, convoy, sandworms. It could be sandworm going to attack, eating machine, or convoy attacking sandworm. Whatever you want In this scene you can see that soldiers killed sandworm child. Knowing that, I think you can imagine what's going on. And it won't be nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Future town. Nothing less, nothing more. I've used S-F theme and a Matrix motive, where machines were controlling human population size.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hm, there I had to draw the scene of building defense on icy planet. Perhaps to defense from invasion?

I didn't like it much - mainly because of watecolours. Those green pillars were supposed to be light beams - they had to be brighter than surrounding. And atmosphere would be better if I used green light you can see in other works. Also, mountains are pretty unnatural.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was a nice book quote from Lord of Ring series - it was describing a Tom Bombadil's house. I gave a fantase scheme and there you have a walking house

That's all, I don't have test exams works more - majority of them were left in my preparation school (it's a tradition, good works are taken by boss, so beginners would have a nice source of inspiration). Luckily, in September all works are photographed and burned to DVDs. As I get them, I'll post there.

Hope you like Also, I'm waiting for critiques!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rolls Royce. I have no idea which model, the drawing was based on photo I found on net. 50cm x 70cm format, about 4-5 hours.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you've got some serious watercolor and perspective skills. *_*
    i can't give eany good critique, but i can say that you've motivated me to get off my ass and get a hang of perspective. :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by a la bapsi View Post
    you've got some serious watercolor and perspective skills. *_*
    i can't give eany good critique, but i can say that you've motivated me to get off my ass and get a hang of perspective. :]
    Hey, thanks About perspective, a small hint - drawing complex geometrical blocks helps a lot - I think that's where I mainly learned perspective!

Well, about my works, seems that I have more works that I've done when I was preparing to exams, but forgot about them

Sketch with trees - drawn by rotring ArtPen with F size nib (it's a fountain pen for drawing):

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The famous Atlantis. Don't bother with violet spill - it was accident

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jack and the Beanstalk:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's one of projects - as architecture means projecting Also, it's a bit unfinished, it lacks one projection. A pension:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another project - a public chair, so you would sit in town:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last drawing - I have a few drawings to photo, but I will do it later. In meanwhile, enjoy

A town (the perspective is kicked to left, but it's caused by bad angle when photographing):

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh well, I had to draw a lot during vacation, but I've ended with only few works But that's not what I would like to tell - I would like to announce that 10 days ago I've bought a Wacom tablet! Yay!

At begining, I was scaried by first doodles I've made, but after a lot of experiments with Brush creator, papers, layers settings and a lot of other things, I'm slowly getting idea how to work and I'm getting addicted to it, seriously
    A completely different drawing and painting styles, mainly because of layers, opacity and stylus pressure control, suits my taste totally. I don't like a time-taking planning and careful drawing/painting. It seems to take ages.. there, in digital, I can rush into without afraid - undo command, eraser, color, contrast adjustments and a lot of options will help.

Anyway, there isn't much works, since I was focused of tools experiments, but it's better than nothing Let's go!

This is one of first works, made with aerograph pen. It's a submarine inside underwater cave. Pretty speed work, but got me with mood. My dad says it looks like USG Anyway, it's up to your imagination:

After few works, I've concluded that I can't create nice works basing only on paint brushstrokes. Probably it's because I'm rather drawer than painter. So, to get a nice paint, I must firstly draw a drawing, then paint. And so, there we have effect:

Stil, I'm having problems with colours and light. I've said to myself I'm lacking true painter skills and I need to practise. Later, I wanted to draw just for fun. I've decided to use pencil with grain texture and that's what came out:

And drawn a another robot:

As you can see, the imitation of pencil on grain pattern is great!

Next, after improving a bit coloring skill, I've panted this:

I've used paper to make texture. It made robot much more interesting

I've also discovered that using only Dodge and Burn tools can create climax works, there are two examples, made in 5-10 minutes:

On second pic you can see some of fog - I've used pixlart's tutorial of creating Cloud Brush (or sponge, can't remember correctly). If you master this brush, it can give very nice effects!

Next picture shows closely how much I'm used with Cloud brush/sponge and dodge team/paper texture:

Next work was done with sponge&burn and a bit of oily brush. Made in 10minutes, randomly:

I have another two works made by traditional fineliner, one of them is a WIP for COW's beast. I will upload them tomorrow.

Probably buying tablet will become a best investment in my life

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This one was a work for front cover competition. Failed

Imprisoned dragon, 1h speedpaint

Ice golem, 1h speedpaint

Er, it was based on one tutorial, perhaps a combination of lama and dog? Again, one hour speedpaint

A sketch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr. Onion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, guys, why is so quiet? I would love to hear any critics or hints for improving my works!

Returning to topic. there is a character concept for a certain game. It was made for contest. Uploaded it a few minutes before deadline, my adrenaline was boiling quite madly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love it man awesome work
    I love the water color washes in the very last one you did
    jedi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    crazy work i love the first water color and your drawing are great

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa, you replied Thanks

Robot:

Weird object:

Ups! Inside temp, screwed nicely the anatomy:

15 min speedpaint, I love it:

Fisher, used the photo as reference:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fungus creature

EDIT: Forgot about WIPs. The first image is a final work. The rest are WIPs.

Last edited by Tonic; October 12th, 2008 at 07:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've used Alchemy fot this work. It's a great software if you have problems with inspiration - I'm going to use it oftenly!

Drawing made in Alchemy. After I made it and look at it, I imagined a space ship that landed on another planet's swamps with junks.

There I add opacity to Alchemy drawing, so I can easily paint over.

Because rough paint over is done, I start detailing, starting from sky and background junks

Ship details

To get a good feeling of space, I've drawn perspective lines

There I added few different photos and fiddled with layer blend modes (Default, Multiply/Gel, Overlay, Screen etc.) and opacity. After getting a satisfing swamp/water texture, I've used Distort feature to match with perspective (there perspective lines helps). Next, I've copied a ship, mirrored it vertically, added Glass Distortion or somewhat, then opacity. The ship's reflection doesn't look great, but that's enough/

There I disabled layer with perspective lines and added few correction to ship reflection

Foreground. The appearance of cat is a must-must

A pretty big leap - I've added more details, textures and contrast. Also, I've added the fog between water and background junks. Not only it's climax, but gives feeling that bacground is a bit further.

Then coloured it, gaining a final work. Also, I've blurried (it's a pretty neat trick, I must admit!) foreground, so it's much easier to focus on main part:

Hope it's useful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice sketchbook! It's been interesting to watch your WIPs.
    You're very good at architecture and environments. It seems to me like your human anatomy skills are not as strong - they're not that bad at all, but it would be nice to see some life drawing, or other kinds of anatomy studies, in here

Edit: I love the fungus creature's design, but I don't think the butterfly has been well integrated in the painting. I know you've blurred it to stress that it's up close in the foreground, but it just seems like it doesn't belong there. If you added some branches and leafs and stuff that were just as much in the foreground, and blurred those as well, I think it would work better. I hope you understand what I mean. Right now the butterfly seems too big and clumsy.

Last edited by munkes; October 12th, 2008 at 02:50 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to munkes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, my anatomy sucks comparing to CA's skilled character painters. That's why I'm going to learn it this year. I will probably start with Loomis books, since he draws great self-real humans (combining comic style with real proportions).

About fungus, yes, I understand you very well and your suggestions sound reasonable, but the problem is that I don't feel that butterfly doesn't belong there. Perhaps I need to practice more with compositing or experiment more to see what's better? I will try with adding more things to foreground next time.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Four new works:

Alchemy version:

Painter version:

15-20 min speedpaint in Photoshop:

Two towers, Photoshop:

Worm, or The End of World if you want :

I think I will move to Photoshop for various reasons. It's better optimized, easier to manage and painting is somehow lighter. Barontieri's brushes are soooo great, I love them and recommend to everyone who likes sketchy and textured brush strokes. Though, Painter has a specific way of mixing colours and has Blend feature which I miss. It's something Photoshop doesn't have, so I won't move in 100%, rather I will use both programs.

Returning to works, I think I need to work more with references and on colors. Especially anatomy. Lately I printed Loomis works, so it's much easier to learn. I must admit Loomis is a great choice for me - not only his works are very nice (clean, simple and dynamic), but he explains pretty well, it's easy to understand him. In next week I'm going to draw anatomy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool environments and great designs. but sometimes your perspective i throwing of. maybe try to paint outside ... landscapes your a hall or the rooms you live in. good work so far

sry for my bad english

cheers lateman

Searching for female mentor! ... will pay with love.

Website COMING SOON!

NEW Sketchbook

Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude what an amazing improvement over just a few months. especially the one you made with alchemy!! its great to see somebody actually taking advantage of this prog. have to try for myself oneday. keep up!!

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank to you both! Lateman, it's just that I didn't bother with perspective since I focused on other things (composition, athmosphere, lightning and colors). Now I think I will start slowly with drawing perspective properly.

I finished today's work. Right now is 1:30 AM, I was sleeping nearly on keyboard before painting, but after I started it, I did wake up The idea and composition came from one hydropix's work (this guy did many stunning works, if you haven't seen them, then I suggest strongly to do it I'm going to learn as much as possible from his works.

As I'm looking at it, I think I need to give more agressive brush strokes - I have feeling that work is a little too soft.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1