Sketchbook: beginning of a long way... (mild nudity) - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff keep it up

My sketchbook:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=132538

"I walk the path of kings and Gods" -Lithiumdawn

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following

4th page, shiNIN's self-psychiatric session continues :)

lithiumdawn: thanks, though I can't do much with such empty phrases, but hey, this post made my sb 4 pages long at least...

4. page! okay, it doesn't mean sooooo much, quality is more important, but hey, I'm here and do my stuff, I'm slow, but determined.

Ahnem Mee: thanks for the visit! yeah, they're pasque flowers too... the one on my reference is a bit different, more hairy and has a dramatic lighting too. here's the original photo. my Love is a hobby photographer, he took the shot. we watch these pasque flowers every spring, they bloom on the nearby hill.

what do you mean, you'd love the animations step-by-step? the results are viewable step-by-step with the appropriate programs, they're animgifs, after all, the process... I don't know the good way for it myself, I just drew, redrew, something like this or did you mean Flash specific drawing methods, maybe? I'm familiar with Flash, both drawing and programming, I sometimes even go below actionscript, bytecode level optimization...

and thanks for your kind words, they did good to me
    but I know I should be FAR MORE productive... I have to learn so much, I can't reach my goals with this pace and I dislike wasting my time. I should draw more (and write less). I wish to, but it's not enough. I don't think about it, I'd go nuts

a little fragment from the failed pasque flower pic, I struggled with it much more, I'm bad at giving up.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

it's a rainy day...

..what a plain umbrella is able to do? my clothes became a bit wet, but my sketchbook is okay its cover isn't so important...

there was no light for decent shots, sorry.
    things I drew yesterday. some bridgman and facial features. I messed up the little japanese kid's proportions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some little things... I try to draw heads... it's not so easy prople may think it is.
    the weather is horrible, my mood isn't good and there's no light for decent shots. faces, doodle beings and Kevin Chen head studies.
    the 4th one has a far too tiny body, I almost ALWAYS do that if I draw the head first... I see this problem, but I couldn't get rid of it till now

oh, the half-anime face is meant to be an anime character, Reki/Haibane Renmei. I messed up her proportions a bit and poor girl isn't recognizable despite her anime eyes, but I knew it won't be an easy fight to make her more realistic. I don't know how she will look like in the future fanfic illustrations, but the anime look is far too simple, I don't wish for that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a few gestures and a geisha, spartan camp #59. not pleased at all.
    I hope I will draw far more (and better) this week.

I've found somewhere here in CA the link classicbodybuilders.com, it's funny and useful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not much, only two faces and my new SAW entries. power ups: health potion and some kind of ammo. I could do them a bit better, but I stopped after a few hours, I'm so slow... but I'm still pleased with them. the ammo anim has only 7 colors (+1 for transparency) and 4 different frames

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook, really appreciate it. Your faces have improved a little since the last time i was here, the construction technique is helping. Yes, heads are not easy, I make a mess of mine all the time, i'm deadly serious.

Your powerup items look really good, and the last head profile on the right is pretty decent. I don't know if this is any help, but try to stay loose when you draw, it doesn't matter if your lines end up really light. Hm, you're making progress already, even if its not obvious to you, and theres not much more that i can say other than keep it up, you're already at four pages - if you keep going, improvement is really inevitable.

It's good that you're doing a lot of studies, but don't be afraid to paint/draw something fun once in a while and apply what you've learnt to it, it can help keep these exercises interesting and you can learn a lot, even from dreadful mistakes! I'll be back to visit this SB...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude! You are improving i swear! I'm no artist to give good critiques but all i can say is, dont stop drawing and painting!

Not sure if you use photoshop to paint but it doesnt matter, you just gotta have a look at this. It got me started with digital painting! *THANK YOU bumskee*
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...107217&page=24

For anatomy, bridgeman and loomis are good stuff to look at! and if you dont have the book ----
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94571

Heh, i think i'm talking too much, i havent even gone through the pdfs yet!
    Take care ya!

Last edited by shamandalie; September 27th, 2008 at 01:57 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Farsh: faces aren't easy, it's okay, but... when I drew, I always drew faces. they're important for me. why am I so bad at them? sometimes they're simple, but nice, but I am able to mess up 3/4 view faces epically. *sigh*
    I should make some research. looking at faces, maybe? looking at them _really_. it seems to be so obvious, why do people tend to skip this step? not only me.
    and you're right, I feel I should make funny things, but I draw too little. I can't skip my weekly spartan camp and spite animation, thanks to them, I draw something

shamandalie: thanks I know I'm improving, this week I could draw a few decent poses from my own mind. it seems to be a tiny and natural thing, but it's my first time .
    yes, I use photoshop, thanks for the link!
    but I knew about Loomis and Bridgman, their books aren't exactly perfect for me, but I can learn from them. but my fav is Kevin Chan. and I know about some books I'd love to buy, but it's no so easy if one live in Hungary

I have so many nice links already. I should visit them all... especially the ones about drawing heads. some tutorials are so great, I'm improving slower alone.

a few pictures from this week... a DSG entry without a plan :-/ and some quick ones without enough motivation... missing eyes, I'm such a coward for a while, I lost my little confidence with faces but I won't give up, of course.
    I drew some hands too, they're between "will do" and "bad", you don't want to see them.

I try to draw something nicer today!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man!
    Sorry for being inactive,...
    Nice drawings, i see improvement.

Maybe a little tip for doing faces, dont draw them in front view, but try to do them from 3/4 view. Cause then its easier to see the different shapes.

Keep it up!

Help me improve my drawing skills by commenting my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the expression on that alien xenologist's face! He really looks happy with his discovery!
    Keep it up man!
    There really is some improvement from the first page to the last!

I SWEAR ON THE GRAVES OF ALL THE TALENTED FILIPINO ARTISTS WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE ME, THE FILIPINO ART LEGACY WILL CONTINUE!

MY DAY JOB http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=136204

MY ANGRY SKETCHBOOKhttp://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...129015&page=13

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Surion: you can see that I sometimes draw face in 3/4 view too, okay, the recent ones aren't here, they wasn't good and you're right, I need draw more of them... and that's my plan too, different faces from different angles. faces are highly important for me and my currently almost zero confidence with faces is unbearable.
    I hope you'll update your SB soon

the ANGRY filipino: thanks!

my gestures+quick birds for the spartan camp (I did them on Sunday evening in a tired state forgetting I had some gestures on some earlier page of my sb... but it was okay) and two faces I drew today.
    it's a mystery why people visit my very humble SB, almost only some quick pencil thingie, I slowly become tired of them... it's time to do something more funny and/or nice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

continuing inactivity - enough already!!! (I need another psychiatric session now)

my dear SB,
    I sick to death of this struggling. in the last few months my goal was: drawing. no matter how and what, but DOING it, dammit! I go home, cook or not, eat, a little chat with my Love, enjoying my home... and it's already 9pm. I have still time, but I have no energy... mood... force doesn't help here.
    it's not only about drawing.
    (weekends are worse, I dunno why)

a few days before I was in a good state I love such periods, I feel I have energy and I happily sketch even in 2am. the sketches weren't good, but I was still glad to have them I got new ideas for pictures, I was active, I was my real self... such periods rarely come and never last long. I want to change it. I dunno how.

I am still here, I update my sb in every few days, but it's so little. okay, I started to draw faces, it's good. I shot my sb pages this evening.

digital painting. I wished to make an "electric girl" for a dsg topic. I attach a face, fail, but with an interesting lips, the first figure is unreferenced and awful, the second one is referenced.
    I have no idea how I did about 30 dsg entries in the past. I don't know the basics. and my brush strokes are too sketchy. other people are able to make nice sketches with hard brushes. I'm not. I just search for the forms, but a bearable render is a dream.
    maybe I gave up dsgs for now and copy instead I can't do everything at once.

I bought two books! from ebay, one about portrait drawing (I don't know what is it like, someone recommended it here in CA and it was on ebay with shipping to Hungary... I needed one already) and one about perspective, I saw some pages on Amazon.com, it's a fine book. they were about 25 pounds together, with shipping I dunno about other countries, but one can buy a Harry Potter book for this money in Hungary... so it's not expensive at all. I'm waiting for them now... I'm excited.

Vilppu and my art classes in the past
    in my active period, I've read some Vilppu tutorials... I've heard about him already, of course, but now I really read a nice amount of his stuff. I LOVE his rounded boxes... I will make a picture with them and I wish I could have met such interesting approaches when I was a pupil.
    but we had 45 minutes to draw an apple. a cloth. a hand (whoa, part of a human, it was a rare thing)... slow copy, I got always good notes.
    and I never enjoyed it much and my drawing skills remained around zero.
    no interesting, playful exercises... no talk HOW to draw, only one boring object with the instruction "copy". composition? depth? lighting? radiosity or cooler shadows of a warm object? I remember nothing. we was told about complementary colors, addictive and substractive color mixing, something about perspective... we never drew with coal, I dunno why.
    I don't remember drawing humans, okay, it's not easy, but almost everyone is interested in humans, especially me. no humans, no animals, I don't remember many plants either.
    well, my memory isn't so good, but those classes could be better, I'm sure.

this week's Spartan Camp has "apples" as optional. this and Vilppu are the reasons I think of the past now. (the nursery school was good. I was too good at maths, more quicker than the others, so I became separated from the others and I drew happily for hours... then at the age of 7, something went wrong. I realized I'm no good, but maths is interesting. silly me. not because of the maths part )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, don't beat yourself up about not drawing all the time, I've found out that if I'm not in a mood to draw, making myself do it doesn't help since all of my drawings somehow end up looking bad, sometimes you're inspired an sometimes not, it'll be OK

As for your drawings, those gestures seem to be working for you

Another thing, don't be afraid of spending more time on a gesture sketch or a face until you get it really right, speed comes with skill, and if you make a drawing that you REALLY like and are proud of it'll only motivate you further

Keep up the good work!

Sketchbook .... Blog .... DevArt .... Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Whistler: not all the time... but I almost never draw. I do my gestures and a few things and nothing more. I have many hours a day for drawing and I don't draw even one. I will change it!
    and I'm not afraid, I know I should make longer drawings too, you're totally right. it's just... somehow... never happens... but I plan to. among many other things.

faces and more from this week (the little kid again, I added some strokes)! the faces are a bit better now. and there are some differences I'll go somewhere if I keep doing them. and I do. I have problems with starts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Improvement! Kid's face on the left is good, you did something right there. Watch the lower lip, a little too small/flat. The rest of your heads show a little improvement, but your lines have this scratchy quality about them as compared to your poses - which have far more pleasing lines. Follow through with the line more often i guess?

About taking pieces further/spending more time on them, i'd give you advice if i wasn't guilty of it myself. Is it impatience? That's the case with me, at any rate. I just get frustrated with a bad sketch/study and move on quickly to another, which doesn't end well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more stuff, and patience! it will go well in the end

more stuff

MY SKETCHBOOK IN BIG LETTERS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=116474
    COMPLETE LIST OF THE FORGOTTEN SKETCHBOOKS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1992378

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nettle Mountain: thanks for the visit! patience... I have not much, but I do what I can
    Farsh: well, the faces aren't referenced, that must be the reason. for now, I'm glad I do them. do them _well_ will be another step. and my gestures should be far more clearer too. but I'm not worried so much, I need time. I do them and that's good.

it's Sunday, another Spartan Camp deadline, so I have more gestures
    I took a step toward more detailed drawings... still rushed...
    this week's optional was "apples". I did them relatively quick, I'm full of doubts how should I use brushes (I prefer hard, sometimes soft low-opacity round brushes and I dunno if I should use sensitivity for opacity, size or nothing or vary them), I think I will read some tutorial and make experiments.

Last edited by shiNIN; October 5th, 2008 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dunno what's wrong with me lately, but I sleep very much. so I draw very little.
    just a few figures for now.
    I drew a few skulls and anime girls (there's a nice little forum and they like them ) too, but nothing that is worth to show here.

but here comes a nice weekend with sunshine...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

it wasn't my day

a dsg entry (it has so many flaws, but I couldn't do it better in a few hours )
    [it's the second version, in the first one the proportions of the head and neck was horribly messed up. proportions are like English: I just can't use them without attention, I make blatant mistakes and I don't even notice... it's so shameful and illogical. I have a pair of eyes and if I really look, I notice such things...]

and a few hands... it was surprising, I usually completely mess up my hands. almost every time is an epic fail and I don't put them here.
    now I just scribbled a bit at work and it went much better. most of them are referenced. the refs are drawings, I feel this is cheap... but it's the easiest this way and I need the easiest way if I draw hands. I still messed up them till now.
    I don't wish for realistic, detailed hands, just things that look like hands... I'm interested in cartoon hands too. capturing the "hand-ness"... I need it

I hope I will draw tomorrow. today I wasn't productive despite it's weekend

Last edited by shiNIN; October 12th, 2008 at 03:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I has a happee

well, some gestures for Spartan Camp #62. the optional was self portrait and I suck at that... so I skipped that.

and and and... MY BOOKS ARE HERE! I didn't open the packets yet... I bought a nice book about drawing in perspective and a recommended one about drawing portraits, I know nothing about it yet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, great hands!
    I think I can spot the gestures that have been thoroughly referenced too... I think this is your key to success!

Have fun with the books!

Continue the critique at Deviant Art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahnem Mee: thanks

8 day passed from the previous update... oh my god.
    I drew almost nothing and I have no excuse, I did nothing instead of drawing

but I did, as always, my gesture studies for Spartan Camp. I drew a few lolcats too
    the optional was "telephone", I did two very quick, impatient, bad sketches and a 40 minutes digital. the tricky shape of the oldschool phone was too much for me (I can't draw a proper circle in perspective), so it's a bit wonky, but I'm still glad. it was so good to paint something again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey mate! You show good progress! Just stick to it, your potential is infinite. It´s super you´ve picked up on Vilppu. He´s my god ^^

I think you´d find the lecturenotes by Walt Stanchfield greatly beneficial, I´m sure you´ll be able to find them as a torrent or book.

In my opininon, you should focus a bit more on weight, balance and gravity, as well as the mood of the people you´re drawing. Remember to apply squash and stretch (or "contra posto" as the italians called it ^^).

Keep drawing and have fun!

No pain, no gain.

Sketchblog
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kaktuzlime: oh, I am honored having you here thanks for all!
    I'll search for Walt Stanchfield, thanks
    you're right about my poses, I know they're not good. I always admire gestures with a nice flow, good balance and stuff, but it's not so easy to reach but I will draw more and I will be better, I'm sure!

some copy or other stuff. the face is from real.
    the last one is sketch and parts of a pic for my visitors of my topic on the Haibane Renmei forum. the girl represents me, though she's far cuter and anime style, HR is an anime, after all (though I try to draw more realistically the characters of the anime... oh yes, I like challenges... )
    that red thing is a bell nut, its meaning is "Thank you for taking care of me".

I need to draw far more. I need fight for it seriously.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some really nice stuff going on here =) I like your studies, I wish I had time to draw that many figures.

I would say, don't stress about not drawing every day. Some times the charge has to build up, like electricity, you know? And some days are just programming days. Actually I had an art teacher in grad school tell me that I should draw the equivalent of 30 minutes every day, but instead of actually doing that daily, save it up to a couple or three times a week in which I could devote an hour or two to the drawing. And draw from life, not from a photograph. Not from your brain. Your brain always has the tendency to distort things, and photographs have condensed information already into 2D, so you can't see 3D as well, but if you draw from life you can get better.

Something else I notice is that your shading seems rather flat. You might want to do some light/dark studies instead of simply doing studies of the outlines of figures. Your outlines look pretty nice, but until you get INTO the form and see what's going on there as far as shadows and everything, they can get distorted, again. I found some of my most helpful exercises were done in charcoal, where I was just supposed to draw the darkest parts of the scene I saw in front of me. Just still life studies, real simple. But it gets you thinking about light and about form, how big those shadows are, how far away they are from each other. It really improves your rendering capabilities. So, you might try some of that! =) Even if it's not with charcoal. Just try to draw exactly what you see, without letting your brain make too much "sense" out of it.

Anyway, hope this helps! Keep it up =)

My DeviantArt Page | Help me improve!! My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    meganite: thanks for the visit and the advices! I know I should make various studies, but I wrote I draw very little. I try to draw from life too (I have nice clever plans, I just suck at realizing them...), I always am amazed how better is a living model even if I make only a quick gesture study... my last and current spartan camp entry contains some real life drawing too
    shading. I know I can't grab the form with simple lines, but I can't draw 50 gestures with shading and I have problems with proportions too but maybe you're right, tones are so basical that I shouldn't neglect them.

I bought a charcoal pencil and I met that mysterious kneaded eraser (I never saw one till now) I dunno why, I felt like it. I have pastel pencils too. I hope I will make something with them some time...

today I drew pretty much... (of course, it's spartan camp deadline =))
    in the beginning it was horrible, I felt I can't do anything, I won't have my 50 gestures... but here they are

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey shiNIN! I'm back! now I'm the one missing yah! update when you have the time ok? You have improved since i last visited and I hope to see more!

I SWEAR ON THE GRAVES OF ALL THE TALENTED FILIPINO ARTISTS WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE ME, THE FILIPINO ART LEGACY WILL CONTINUE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm back... I dunno if I have showable stuff, I was fooling around in a completely different world, I studied for my driving licence (now comes the practical part, yay!) or didn't do anything...

at least, I had some fun AND while I haven't learn much, I got used (and addicted) to drawing. it was always my weak point, I drew so little.
    I learned I can do more than I suspected and sitting down to create a whole pic is far easier now. I lack knowledge and my pictures have many flaws, but I badly needed this attitude and "bravery".
    now I will focus on anatomy, gestures and other stuff again
    I feel I'm willing to research, learn and actually draw a lot. I will improve quicker now, I hope.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi shiNIN,
    Glad you're back! now lets get postin!

Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 32