Sketchbook: beginning of a long way... (mild nudity) - Page 31
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast

Thread: beginning of a long way... (mild nudity)

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    4 pages to catch up since I was last here. Keep on with the fruit & veg. If you don't understand their shadows, you're not grasping form. The shadows come from the form and where the light is. Revisit them and look again.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Black Spot: I think I talked about the shadows below them.. I dunno. I need to draw more still lifes, that's a given! I know near to nothing about lighting and it's really problematic.

I made a new brush (my fancy ones tend to be too soft) and some quick... things with it. Scribble and what you see, this game. I easily see things, I should make it in a more elaborated way, these were extremely quick, I saw nice details though.
    "why I see" it was supposed to be "what I saw", I was very tired and anyway, my absent-mindedness and bad English is not very limited.

After drawing a lot of gals using CA members's stuff lately, I drew a very simple contrapost one by myself. It was quick, lines for some reason, it was hard. I hope I understand figures a bit better than a few days before... Not like this one shows it.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by shiNIN; December 21st, 2011 at 06:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to show these too. I really worked on them, redrawing some of them several times.
    maeharrington has a cool sb here in CA, packed with simply flowy sexyness. I love the pencil sketches and the tidy digital ones, often made with just a few strokes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was away today, just a few things.
    Another scribble things, I tried out other brushes, didn't find a really good one but my imagination didn't complained, I'm more pleased with some this time I should draw the fiery dashing lion and the kissy mouthed fish properly. Maybe the sneaking monster too.

I drew some figures just to experience (not for the first time in my life but it was long ago) how much JPEG hates bright red... Even a high quality jpeg became horrible. It was cute before it though (I mean the effect due to the colors, not my stuff, but I kinda liked them too. My strokes are better nowadays I think, not so stiff. It's more apparent to me who see all the fails, not just the better part I put here.)

I could stand it and I overpainted them (not with the brush I used last time, apparently ). I lost some artistic mess but maybe these has some good points too. They are simpler and quicker. And I changed the gestures, I can't help it. Back then, in the school, when we was supposed to write our essays clean and nice, I was, well, messy, you know me I started write with no idea what the next word will be... Then I was ready and tried to copy my stuff, the words already were there, I just had to copy them. Oh, I changed the second sentence if not the first one, forgot the first paper and created another messy but pretty different text. That's why it's good for me repeating things, not just hammering it into my memory (is it such an expression? well I guess everyone understands *shrugs*). I change things. I play with them. Disassemble and assemble. Explore and try out things. Being a playful kid is a best I can do when I try to create some art. My inner self likes to play. Needs joy. Dislikes discipline and too many rules.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm low today, I tried to draw but I still feel I'm a huge antitalent. I wonder if I ever will start to do things right. I mean, the right steps, not the actual quality of my stuff.
    Even enthusiastic fanartists without skills whatsoever took their steps and produce own stuff, I feel so inferior, I just can't start, I'm here, finally out of my years long block, boiling and still not walking.

I so wanna draw great figures, I don't mind simple things but I still don't know why and where and how. Torso is my enemy right know. Slippery like an eel... I wanna find its secret so badly though.

But I actually drew something so this "being low" is so much more higher than my usual blocked state in the past

Pictures.

Name:  sc206misc.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  72.2 KB

My English is probably bad today.

Don't ask me. Oh and aside the horrible intended makeup, there's no proper balance and weight, well I'm bad with airheads to begin with (these big heads much be airheads, they couldn't walk with them if they had normal density). Silly stuff. {EDIT: I couldn't stand and changed it a bit but won't again. I actually wanted to draw this girl very differently... This is a weird day}
    Name:  pepperdrawme.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  45.6 KB Name:  pepperdrawme_v.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  45.7 KB

Messy stuff, heavily reffed (most of the face is totally copied, with lighting and all), I add this and that in a clumsy and careless way, I don't really mind, I want to design Teresa again. I think I've found her hairdo, my BF helped in it, he saw a cute "young Teresa" pic. Our Teresa is somewhat based on claymore-Teresa but different, Claymore is an anime and manga with pretty much stylized faces that are more weird than normal anime/manga faces I think.

I wanted to draw her as a simplified full figure carrying a rocket launcher... Whatever. I have no idea how her clothes and weapon look like yet anyway (aside that the latter is based on our Teresa's muffler. it looks like a vacuum cleaner though).
    I wanna draw our girls already It would be so useful and so much fun.

Last edited by shiNIN; December 23rd, 2011 at 08:55 PM.

Lav is offline Student Animationfilm Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Turn that frown upside down! I've been hearing from a lot of artists that it gets difficult before you start to get really good, so don't worry too much if you're having an off day, the important thing is to not give up.
    I really like the studies you've been doing, just don't but highly saturated red against green/blue, it's hard for the eyes to focus.
    So cheerio, keep up the good work and merry christmas

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my some eloquent lines with the recent figure studies... my lines on tablet and paper never fail to look like cockroach legs. how do you get those neat curves? I tried putting a piece of paper over it but it was still picking up those little tremors in my hands

Sink into syncronicity, thinking in links. Drinking ink, crinkling blank foreheads and squinting and blinking at things

My Sketchbook
    Mad Spartans!!!:
    Creusa
    n1frit
    Liberty
    Hu-ha
    Deviantart: http://raphire.deviantart.com/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Raphire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,425 Posts
    Follows
    Following

You are updating every day, you are working, drawing
    and painting everyday, that is just fantastic. Your focus
    on figures got yourself to a new level, you just keep on
    doing them. How's the spartan camp life?
    Feet studies- you should do them, one of the trickiest
    parts of the body, but definitely worth the time to learn,
    cause the figures seem to look lame if you draw the legs wrong.
    Same goes to the face. You can do an outstanding body and
    anatomy, but if you mess up the face, then it goes to waste.
    I am not sure about making new brushes, I think I never tried myself.
    After all there are so many downloadable ones on the net, I never
    seem to do my own version. I like how you implemented Arnold
    inbetween your other studies. He is the gummy bear of Candicornia.
    Figure studies in #906 are nice, however that green, pink color
    combination is a bit killer to the eyes because of the contrast I think.
    The last portrait is nice, except that her nose is a bit off and the mouth,
    you should flip your canvas from time to time to see the mistakes.
    It is still not too late to give her clothes and a rocket launcher.
    The painting that you did on the previous page, the naked chick,
    you shortened a bit her body. Remember the 8 head rule. Crotch area
    is the center. We should work more on that painting.
    My wall of text ends here for now.
    I wish you a Marry Christmas and all the happiness in the world.

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LtPlissken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The totally bright reddish pink/greenish was so totally intentional

My keyboard is problematic at the moment (I have no batteries that work), I'm tired, I guess I can't reply to everyone today. Lav's post require the less amount of text.

Lav: I feel (chance of) leveling up is close but I waited so much already, I'm impatient

Plissken: I prefer my own brushes, I feel my paintings more my own that way. It's fun too.
    I epically messed up our mutual girl indeed. Ahhh I must stop, I'll write later.

I was away then tired today, I will go to bed moderately early and fix my messed up biorhytm.

Simple but my own. My precious.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gang-sta San-ta!
    We could make a song about this!
    Siiiiiick!
    haha
    We will repaint that girl from the last page.
    Not a promise just a 'todo' stuff that
    I just wrote down in my schedule book.
    Take care and sleep tight.
    If you are going to sleep.

SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LtPlissken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha Gangsta Santa! Get some rest!! And see ya soon!

edit: Forgot to say I enjoyed yer updates above too! ^^^^^^^^^ Love the li'l girlie with the big head and tiny body! Ummm...she is over 18...right??!!

- A man diligent and skillful in his work will stand before kings -
    - All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty -

"You can't design what you don't know." Jeff Watts (as seen in Windmaker's SB)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jephyr X For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there! Nice things you have here. Lots of photo studies and anatomy learning. Lots of work, lots of improvement. I saw that sometimes your mood is not on the top, because of being dissatisfied of your work. You sometimes boring of "just copying". One thing I would advice if you don't mind. Do you have a paper sketchbook? A little one, which you can carry with yourself everywhere. If you have, use it. Anytime, anywhere if you have a little time for it. Go outside and draw. Do you travelling? Take a place in the bus, tram or metro and draw. I tell you why:
    1. It's really funny, first time maybe frightening, but if you do more it's becoming very funny
    2. You can learn a lot. Learning anatomy from books is necessary but the real learning is when you see a man in the tram and begin to draw it, you recognize what you learn from anatomy book, what is in your head, what else you should learn. In this way you get a deeper understand in anatomy.
    3. You are forced to draw quick. People in their natural habitat is always moving. Sometimes you have only 30 seconds for a draw. Drawing quick means you are going to simplify your forms, this means you get the key for making lot from a little line.
    4. Draw how they are moving, sitting, staring, sleeping. It's just so exciting! After a time you will feel how interesting all of them. Look them as if you were an alien, and you didn't saw a person before. When you draw from life you see that moment from your own point of view, filling with your own feelings, and you draw it with your own filters when a photo copy is something is that came from another people who has different filter.

And I could write more of this points, but I won't. Try it, and see it.

One more thing. Try to see this whole learning tour like a spiral. You learn from books if you're tired go out and draw from life to see what you learned and to get new impressions. If you are boring with it go, and draw something from your head. After that go again to anatomy if you are not satisfied, and you shouldn't. In this way you always improving and won't do always "just copying".

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macska For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I still owe some reply from last time...
    Raphire: I really don't know, I always was unpleased with my lines and don't think I can't mess up them epically but I got better. I experienced it depends on the brush too (horribly wavy lines always happened digitally), if the brush is okay, I just need to be quick and confident. I don't really think about it.

Plissken (the one before last post): I don't want to draw 8 heads tall girls and I usually take attetion to draw my boys shorter too. I want to draw mostly normal ones.
    My Teresa design is wonky indeed, it's not that important there (I wanted to find a face and hairstyle for her) but it's disheartening I still do such silly mistakes in such a trivial thing (front viewed face).

Jephyr X: Thanks! Well she probably is. I don't know about the original character she's based on but it doesn't matter I think. Flat chest seemed funnier when using this meme but I'm definitely not into lolies.

Macska: Yay, another one from Hungary
    I tried that already and failed epically. Before I could used to it, I lose all my motivation every time Maybe I will try again but I don't see people nowadays. But why don't I use myself or my boyfriend, I don't know... I totally should!
    Studies are okay, I dislike just the type when I don't use my brain...
    And I'm not bored with them, it's just hard to start to draw something
    You're right with the spiral thing but I don't control what I do. I'm obsessed with human anatomy at the moment and it's really slow and complicated, but I barely can do anything else. I need to break this wall already.
    Sorry for the blurb and thanks for your comment, unfortunately good advices aren't enough, I myself need to change.

I updated so long ago. It's hard. First, I fall asleep now and then during the day, I need some sunshine but at least a long walk. I hope there won't be any rain tomorrow.
    Second... I dunno about others but in my case, anatomy studies cost extremely much time. If I spend a week on something, I don't really learn anything through it. Maybe now that I'm not quite blocked, it will be a bit easier but still very hard. I never could memorize simple data (memorization time: forever. or hours for a little bit but I'll forget it in one day) just stuff I've found logic in (memorization time: in an instant after I heared/looked at/read it). Anatomy has logic but it's too complicated.

Too much blurb, I'm very tired.

Somewhat refd. I have some idea about the muscles but I probably never will learn their exact place.

I need to learn how to show form. Next time I'll use a real object in order to see its 3d form.

I should draw some simple comic strips, I keep getting ideas and it would be a good practice, I need to get used to draw by myself. I don't know if I will be able to do anything about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wow Indeed!
    Name:  xmasangel.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  44.3 KB
    This just shows how much you
    have improved your understanding
    of light, form and contrast in
    a miniature version.
    Way to go!

SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LtPlissken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel the same way about studying anatomy. It is really hard and time consuming and it is really difficult to get the things you learn to stick into your head. I think you've actually done pretty much anatomy studies lately, or so it seems based on your updates. I've been doing everything and anything else but anatomy. Like photostudies, movie studies. etc. For me, starting is always the hardest. And finding the time to start studying. Well maybe it's not about time, I think I would have it if I just started doing but well.. And oh yes the lack of sun is just depressing! It's been so dark these past weeks that it just kind of sucks you energy. Gotta hope for brighter days to come soon!

Anyways I like your latest updates. And the gansta santa is coolnes, haha. Keep pushing the studies but remember not to do just studies but also things that you really love doing!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Satu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff and a really broad spectrum, too.
    It's nice to see quite some jokes mixed in there. It makes learning more fun.
    Keep it up.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to shockowaffel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Plissken: I'm surprised myself how well it went... It would be cool to do something by my own too... Lighting, form... I'm soooo bad at it. I see and enjoy and even kinda understand in photos and whatnot but to create it... that's something different.

Satupeikko: I haven't even shown my anatomy studies for a long time, they were way too messy. I do a lot of them but it wasn't enough this far. I love anatomy, I just start and I get hooked (and neglect everything else that would be fun and would give better results)... And I think I'm the type who simply need a solid anatomy knowledge in order to draw any decent figures...

shockowaffel: No, broad spectrum would include enviros and comic strips and watercolor! *sigh* But I don't always copy now, it's cool
    My humor sense is quite developed and if I'm somewhat well, jokes are bound to happen

I'm in a great mood today but I woke up late and was busy and anyway, I started slowww. Maybe I won't sleep tonight, I don't lack sleeping at all, in the contrary.
    So nothing much yet... If you don't consider I'm awfully slow with figures...
    I'm relaxed and carefree, it feels good. Flaws happen but I just draw ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, cool sketchbook man, your killing those studies like a boss ;D There really paying off, i can see improvements in your work.
    I guess the two tips i could give, which have helped me recently are 1, to constantly apply your studies. You'll learn much more and faster that way, especially if you apply your studies from imagination straight after completing a study, and 2, is to always consider new ways of learning and thinking. For example, if learning figure don't just rely on Loomis, but try some Bridgman, Hogarth, Campman etc etc. This will open your mind to new ways to approach stuff and keep you on your toes.

Not the most helpful tips in the world, chances are you know these already, but keep up the great work regardless

28. The Following User Says Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No crits for you. Sorry I don't have anything wise to say ;<. But! I wish you eveything best in new year!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    logistic puppet: yay, a new visitor (my subscribed sbs went just below 100, how others manage them I wonder, I almost always subscribe if I visit one, at least temporarily... glancing at yours, I will like that too oh my. but it's always a joy to have someone who has some skills in my sb)! I knew those tips of course. I think I do the second one, I love to grab any info I stumble upon and like My favs are Bridgman (even though I rarely do Bridgman studies. I should), Kevin Chen, Hampton, aww I neglected Vilpuu for long.. I have mixed feelings about Loomis but I can't deny his books has usefulness. Hogarth scared me away when I first met his stuff, maybe I could use it now? Campman is a new name... Plus I have some beloved books.
    Applying what I've learned is tricky. I don't feel I learned much but I feel how much I'm lacking... I need to be more daring. I were here and probably failed, it's hard to say because I never do such things and it's a step forward in itself:

I stopped quickly, it's a bad feeling not knowing what am I doing.

Tricky portrait...
    The ref is low res and awesome, hardest combo. (He's Trym/Emperor, drummer btw.) I spent most time on the eyes and mouth.

Enviro wip. Refd.

ENVIRO. You have no idea how long I planned to draw enviros. Humans always got the better of me

Lav is offline Student Animationfilm Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great energy and good studies! I never get around making environments myself, always seem to be drawn to humans as well
    If you're going to draw something traditional in colour like that Santa, I'd suggest using a wider range of markers so you can add more value tho, but if you really want to study light and form i think digital, pencil and ink are the best tools to learn with (I have come across some people on CA who've been amazing with markers from the start tho, I don't understand them, I think they were born with a special gene in their bodies or I'm missing one because they're hard as hell when i try to use it )
    Anyways, happy new year!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Lav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lav: I think I already wrote why I think enviros are very important and useful for me. Less stress (I need a lot of anatomy knowledge for humans), I learn composition, I can focus on colors better, using fancy brushes, and I love natural enviros too (besides humanoids, mammals and shiny things).
    I have no more markers at the moment (but I chose them well I think, these are important colors, the orange is so stupid though). And it got ugly because the color changes when I use more layers . Oh I saw awesome marker stuff on others's SB too Mine are childish but I have almost zero experience with it, I definitely will try it other times too.

Just a little outline-and-some-tentative-values troll They are somewhat similar to witches and I like to draw both bunch I really need to draw full body trolls... I try to push myself forward. I don't just copy anymore. But I still go very slowly.

And I'm full with wips and ideas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And while I wasn't looking, a new year started. And a new onion soup for my aching throat.
    I don't know what to do with my anatomy studies!!!
    I know my main problem is I start to draw late but anatomy keeps me from doing things too. I'm hooked. I do it and never enough, no matter how low my standards are.

WHY can't I memorize the muscles quicker?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About anatomy: I wouldn't know for sure myself, but something occurred to me recently-- If you have difficulty remembering anatomy through repetition, maybe it'd be a good idea to remember their names.( a very boring approach) But I think when one approach doesn't work it's time to try another?

Sink into syncronicity, thinking in links. Drinking ink, crinkling blank foreheads and squinting and blinking at things

My Sketchbook
    Mad Spartans!!!:
    Creusa
    n1frit
    Liberty
    Hu-ha
    Deviantart: http://raphire.deviantart.com/

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Raphire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, i'm such a noob, ive been calling Michael Hampton 'martin campman' for ages heres a pdf download if you havnt got his book already - http://www.mediafire.com/?m60x33tmhsorcf0

I'm studying alot of Hamptons anatomy at the mo and its really beginners friendly and got some great stuff in there.

I struggled with Loomis for ages and i know what you mean, his stuff can be prity tough to digest, but stick with it, especially the heads and hands book, thats awesome.

My advice with the anatomy (Hampton goes through all this thoroughly) is dont get too obsessed with all the groups and different muscles at the moment, especially if your struggling to remember them all but focus more on the bigger shapes and forms. Once you begin to understand the figure in this respect you'll probably find learning the muscles will come much faster, because you'll have a deeper understanding of why they are there and what they do.

Your doing great regardless , keep pushing dude and all the best for 2012!

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boldog Új Évet! Keep it up!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to pixel cheetah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff!

Not sure if this will help but when I do anatomy I keep the ref open and draw from it until I feel comfortable. Then I turn the ref down and draw from memory. Afterwards I check the ref and draw little notes pointing to my errors. I keep doing this until I feel I've got it down.

Than I start applying what I've memorized onto my lifedrawings in photoshop ( I do life drawings in photoshop cause I'm too poor for paper) I turn the opacity down on the drawing layer and make a new on top, were I apply the anatomy. I do this alot and it seems to work.

Also start braking down the muscles into shapes. That seems to make it easier for me.

Hope this helps!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to bobmeatbag For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi matey

Love your recent posts especially the little troll guy! he's excellent, dont ask me why because I couldnt tell you, but somehow he reminds me of the little shoemaker elf in the brothers grimm story. Could be some long supressed memory of a story book from when i was but a toddler or something but thats way! way! in the past, either way its good darlin!

happy new year to you and your darlin man!

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why we all come here?
    Because YOU support us, and we are all here to support each other. So the result is that we support YOU too

I really like where you're heading.
    Your studies are really paying off. I also liked the 50 arms one. Should do exactly this by myself too.

As a little suggestion: Don't get stuck into too many studies as I did.
    It is really hard to break out of all these studies and get back to personal stuff again when you already did it for a loooong time.
    So experiment and to personal pieces.
    Try to draw and paint the things why you WANTED to become an artist.

I hope you didn't saw that yet.

Greetings,
    Silwynar

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lukas Esch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Justyna For This Useful Post:

Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 115