Hail from Angel Academy of Art (Florence)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Hail from Angel Academy of Art (Florence)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hail from Angel Academy of Art (Florence)

Hello people!

You might or might not have seen my work before. Here's some links to get you oriented: http://www.hennauoti.com/
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...f=31&t=581696/

I'm starting at the beautiful Angel Academy of Art in few months. I took a quick look around CA and noticed a general friendliness and interest towards learning basic representational art skills. I'm not planning on starting another Angel Academy CA thread - my friend Dorian already does it so well here. I have promised many people that I'd keep them updated with my news and projects and thought a cozy little blog might be just how to do it. So if you feel like it and think you've got some time, go and check it out. I hope to be able to update quite regularly when in Florence.

As for Florence, the school starts at 29th September. I'm planning to arrive there a week or so before the school starts and spend the remaining time looking for apartment and meeting new people. So if you know you are going to Florence next Fall (you perhaps study in one of the 3 ateliers), give me a shout and we can meet for a coffee!

I just registered, so I'm feeling little scared and newbie here. I'm sorry I don't yet have any works from school that I could use to attract you, but as I said I'm only just starting.

Henna

Last edited by Hennaha; August 10th, 2008 at 10:42 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Funny you should post this, I happened to stumble upon your blog/website the other day. I just wanted to say how impressed I am with your work, really lovely. I especially commend you on being so focused and hard working at such a relatively young age, it's always great to see someone my age with big dreams and the determination to carry them through. Best of luck at Angel, keep us posted!

-Ramon

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,571 Times in 2,180 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What a dream...to study art and nature in that city...

I would have loved to have such an opportunity.

Congrats.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Henna you have really good paintings in your site. I mean really strong stuff and the craziest thing is that you are just 19. I mean seriously having that kind of atelier training in your age is really great. I hear almost every one of the atelier students (including me ) saying that they should have started to practice seriously when they were younger

Iam student at the Florence Academy of Art in Via Delle Casine building, I had been there for one trimester and ill be contiuning to fall trimester. It is great that more finnish people go to ateliers. Have you ever seen Ninnis or Jussis works? They both studies in florence academy of art

http://www.jussipoyhonen.com/
    http://www.galleriat.net/works.asp?cid=828
    http://www.galleriat.net/works.asp?cid=1095
    http://www.artists.fi/painters/taite...nen/index.html

http://www.kuvataiteilijamatrikkeli....ja.asp?id=2344

Jussis Wife Paula Rubino is also living in Finland
    http://grenninggallery.com/index.php?cPath=320_316

If you want to PM me or meet me in Finland or in Florence to ask about anything feel free to do that. I dont know if I would be much help for you, but i maybe know something.

Olisin kai voinu pistää saman suomeks, mutta tuntu epäreilulta kun muut ei olis ymmärtäny ... no jokatapauksessa...

Sorry for my poor english
    My life drawings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ramon: I have seen your work before, I had no idea you were my age though. Thanks a lot for the kind words. For me there is still many areas that could use improving. Receiving a feedback like that sure keeps me inspired!

Jason: Well, if it's something you really want, you'll find a way to do it. These schools aren't there just for starters

baretul:
    Nice to hear from you! I already knew you are studying in FAA and have see Ninni's and Jussi's work too. I applied and received an invitation to start at the Florence Academy as well, but Angel Academy contacted me faster (though seriously, it wasn't just that - I'm a HUGE admirer of Michael John Angel's and also am already somewhat familiar with his methology). Anyway, both of the academies are just OUTSANDING and at this point I really don't feel it matters too much which of these schools you are attending. Importantly: I'd like to believe no school alone can just magically bake you a master painter. A lot of it has to do with your own dedication. What you put in is what you get. If you have what it takes, you'll be fine no matter which school or atelier you choose.

Thank you for the compliments!

Last edited by Hennaha; June 30th, 2008 at 10:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is totally true Henna. Both of the schools are great. And it is very important to choose the school that you like the most. I also thought about angel, but then i decided to go to FAA (althou i never get accepted to both ). I dont actually know why i chose to go to FAA. Both are really good, they have strong fundamentals of drawing. I never thought about Cecil, because it has more open/free drawing program I think.

I just read in your blog that there is another finnish student in angel academy. I guess the florence will be full of finns in the next fall then

My life drawings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry i messed up, or the computer somehow posted the same message twice... Sorry about spam...

My life drawings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there! Nice to see you around here Henna.

Jussi, thanks for these nice links. Your work is outstanding; I'm really looking forward to seeing how it will be after a few more trimesters.
    So Angel Art school actually has two buildings; one in the Via Fiesolana, and one in the Via delle Casine; am I correct? :o

Can't wait to meet you guys and girls there

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maidith: The Via delle Casine is where the Florence Academy of Art is located. I think you just missed that bit of info.

baretul: I'll drop you a line when I have settled in Florence. I'd love to hear your expreriences about the FAA!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hennauoti - What are housing costs like in Firenze these days? I lived there for a bit 10 years ago, and paid a couple hundred bucks (400? 500?) a month for a room on the outskirts of town, but I have no idea what it's like now? Did your school help you out on cheap housing? Are you sharing an apartment with other students or something? I am feeling a powerful call to ditch New York City (where I now live) and try to get myself into the Florence Academy of Art, but, at 32, the prospect of wiping out my savings to get it done makes me sweat a little. FAA is really expensive compared to say, the Grand Central Academy (founded by Jacob Collins - http://grandcentralacademy.classicist.org ) which is here in New York. I really feel Italia calling me though....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gdc: The academy does not provide or find housing for students. They can, however, recommend a professional housing agent to assist you. This information is provided to all new students enrolling in the program. It might be different at FAA though, at their page they say they offer help and guidance to students seeking housing.

I really doubt you could get a flat that cheap at Florence anymore. An American friend was just complaining how difficult it is right now for Americans to live in Florence with the dollar so low. I’m staying with a friend that goes to same school and we are currently looking for housing at Florence. Most of the 2 person apartments at the center start from 800 € (around 1.268 $). One person apartments start from 500 € (792 $). Every estate has perhaps 5-10 deals that are this cheap, then the prices start getting higher pretty quickly. I can however well imagine one could get much cheaper deal from the outskirts.

Maybe you should think what makes you that badly want to study in Florence than, let’s say, in the Grand Central Academy. The teaching can’t be that different. Most of the atelier schools at North America use bargues and sight-size. The work produced by students is BREATHTAKING no matter where they come from. I hear some of the former Angel Academy students are now taking classes in The Water Street Atelier. It really sounds wonderful to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I remember seeing your work a while ago. Quite impressive. Do you not have any traditional works?
    It's a dream of mine to study at either the Florence or Angel Academy at an early age. I opted to go to University for now, mostly because the Government can pay for pretty much all of it, but it's definitely on the list to go there after I complete University.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the update on current costs, Hennauoti. You're right, much the same training could be obtained in NYC. I guess I just miss Firenze. thanks and good luck!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Burl: Thank you. Up to date I have only been posting my digital works, but then that is likely to change at Angel Academy; after the Fall, with so busy learning stuff, traditional studies are pretty much all I ever have the time to post! Good luck with applying!

gdc: I don’t want, by any means bring down the experience to study in Italy. When people find out I’m studying classical painting in the Heart of historical Florence, the feedback often is them grasping: “What could be any better?” And I can completely understand the magic of it.

I’m going to wish you loads of luck, no matter what you decide! Should you later have any application related questions I’m happy to aswer those!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everybody!!!!! I know the post is a bit old and now we are in 2010.. but I would really like to know where did you choose to study in the end!!! Who is at the Angel's Academy of Art in Florence and who is at the Grand Central Academy of NY????
    My story is this: I searched for months and months the best place to study in NY, and I wanted absolutely to go to the Grand Central Academy, but they answered me that they're not able for the moment to accept international student... :''''''( and for this reason I couldn't go there... During my research I understood that the GCA was also one of the few places in NY I couuld be able to afford... so I changed plan and I found the Angel's Academy of Florence... Could you please tell me how is to study there?? I live in Rome since ever, and I think Florence is a great place... but my big dream was New York... I do hope to realize my dream after the Angel's Academy... but I wouldn't have no idea of how to go there and what to do.. where to start... could someone advice me also about this?
    Thank you to everyone

Love

Elena

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so I changed plan and I found the Angel's Academy of Florence... Could you please tell me how is to study there?? I live in Rome since ever, and I think Florence is a great place... but my big dream was New York... I do hope to realize my dream after the Angel's Academy... but I wouldn't have no idea of how to go there and what to do.. where to start... could someone advice me also about this?
    Read the info on http://www.angelartschool.com/enrolment.htm -
    there is also a link to the application form: http://www.angelartschool.com/AAA_ApplForm_R1.pdf

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Angel Academy of Art

Hi everyone...I'm new to this site and would like to say it is a great forum to get some helpful hints about art in general and also about the Angel Academy of Art...I've just been accepted and have deferred until Fall 2014. I am an archaeologist but have created art most of my life in some form or other. It was always a dream of mine to go to Florence and study art but never thought I would get in..can't wait to start!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hennaha View Post
    gdc: The academy does not provide or find housing for students. They can, however, recommend a professional housing agent to assist you. This information is provided to all new students enrolling in the program. It might be different at FAA though, at their page they say they offer help and guidance to students seeking housing.

I really doubt you could get a flat that cheap at Florence anymore. An American friend was just complaining how difficult it is right now for Americans to live in Florence with the dollar so low. I’m staying with a friend that goes to same school and we are currently looking for housing at Florence. Most of the 2 person apartments at the center start from 800 € (around 1.268 $). One person apartments start from 500 € (792 $). Every estate has perhaps 5-10 deals that are this cheap, then the prices start getting higher pretty quickly. I can however well imagine one could get much cheaper deal from the outskirts.

Maybe you should think what makes you that badly want to study in Florence than, let’s say, in the Grand Central Academy. The teaching can’t be that different. Most of the atelier schools at North America use bargues and sight-size. The work produced by students is BREATHTAKING no matter where they come from. I hear some of the former Angel Academy students are now taking classes in The Water Street Atelier. It really sounds wonderful to me.

Members who have read this thread: 5