Back in school, did you get bullied? :D

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Did you get bullied in school?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

79 51.63%
  • No

74 48.37%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Back in school, did you get bullied? :D

Just to prove my theory. I think that most kids who later grew up to be artists didn't exactly have the easiest time when they were in school, and that's why they got all, like artsy and awesome and stuff What about you?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It has no relevance... I had alot of friends who got bullied that hate art, and likewise a bunch of artists who were never bullied.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got a fair bit of stick from the more stupid of the people at school...

But no, generally I've just always done art, not particularly in reaction to anything, other than I like to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm...yeah got bullied for a few years and went into a lot of small fights. But the last years were pretty nice and i found lots of friends. But i don`t started with art because of the bulliing...i drew before that. It has more to do that I was the glasses wearing nerd...

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    I was bullied once or twice but nothing to pin my self down as a victim. In fact at times I was the bully due to who I was hanging with.

Most bullies would steer clear of me because I was tall and broad, about 6ft back then, aways the tall kid. Even when I stood up to the supposed toughest kid in our year, all he did was "okay, meet me in -insert location-", he did not hit me there and then and niether did he take up on his offer afterwords.

I have to admit, some bullying did go on through primary school (aged 5 - 11). But then again when I was that age my home village was 'rough'.

Good times I hardly care to think of.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, and interesting I didn't really expect anything different.

Same goes with me, I didn't have too much friends but even if I got into fights that wasn't what made me pick up art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nope, not really. Well, got in some trouble with a guy who was rather difficult at the time, but we turned best friends some time after, funny enough. The other, real bullies didn't care about me because I was pretty good at being invisible.

Also, stop making up theories about what artists are and how they became artists and how they couldn't be artists if some things in life didn't happen. Just do it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wasnt the most popluar kid in class but didnt get bullied either, but I gotta say I had some angry teachers cuz I always used to draw in the book and notebooks, answersheets...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, but I am anti-social you could say, so not doing much or going anywheres with people gave me time to draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When i was a child i was pretty "popular" funny little kid, and i really loved to do artsy things, drawing included, after that i stoped beign funny and popular and slowly i stoped beign so artsy, until just 2 years ago when i started to study how to draw. I think we like art stuff becase we find something in it that pleases us, thats why we do it, i have no idea actually .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wasn't bullied, but I was always the shy girl and spent most of my time either studying for school or drawing. I wouldn't say I'm shy anymore, but I'm not extroverted either, I still prefer spending a lot of time on my own. Mainly drawing, of course!

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i was adored. Bullied because of creativeness? I don't see the point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first i need to know what you mean by bullying.

Heres mine.

If you call someone concord because they have a long nose thats teasing. But once you use that long nose to open up a yogurt pot that becomes bullying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eh, 9 kids out of 10 could say they experienced some form of bullying or teasing, and no kid thinks he had it great growing up. Childhood is tough through that age, and I actually blame it on the fact that kids are mostly spending time with other kids, and ALL of them are immature and awkward and messed up in one way or another. It's unnatural, because kids are meant to be surrounded by adults to teach them societies norms and expectations.

Anyways, I think a better question is "What do you think is what started you drawing?"

My answer is besides a natural inclination towards it (creativity in the family), I also grew up in Maine where there wasn't a ton of other things to do. Early on we didn't have cable or video games (those were still pretty new in the late 70's early 80's) and so I drew to entertain myself. And read a ton, but a lot of drawing.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,554 Times in 3,739 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I went to 10 different schools in different countries. It wasn’t easy always being the ‘new’ kid but I coped by hanging out with the geeks and learning not to care. I was pretty happy in my own world.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was never bullied. But I never did 'fit in' if thats what you mean.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 906 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    never got bullied, gots lots of the "can you draw me a naked girl?" comments though.

'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How about some artsy bullies ? That would be a bizarre combination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mainly in my younger days I got bullied. I've always been "the punk rock loser". Dressing differently put a big target on my head for the groups of jocks who felt the need to pick on kids half their size and 3 years younger than them. Going out with a mohawk and vest covered in patches was almost a guarantee I'd run into trouble from someone who didn't like my choice of clothes.

As I got older tho, the taunting stopped, and the "bullying" only ever happened behind my back. Many of the people who would pick on me would still describe themselves as "an all around nice guy that everyone likes". Tho I still get angry at the thought of why I was picked on, the entire experience has taught me a lot. I've learned about the hypocritical nature of people, gained insight into why people do things like that, I learned to stand up for myself, learned not to be ashamed of being myself, to stand up for kids who're being bullied when no one else will, to not judge a book by its cover, and to never be the type of person to pick on others for being different

Every cloud has a silver lining as they say

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In high school I fell under the dark and brooding catagory (The Bruce Wayne, Clint Eastwood kind, not the Emo kind) and most bullies tended to shy away from me. I did have a good bit of friends from all over the spectrum.

If anything I would stop kids from being bullied and it also helped that I was into Mixed Martial Arts. I always hated it when people picked on others . . . especially those who were weak or different.

I figured if your going to draw figures fighting and stuff like that . . . you had to know how to do it yourself. Plus, if you place a 275 lb football player in an arm lock and drop him to the ground with out a single puch being thrown . . . you tend to get some respect!

Last edited by Musselfarmstudios; June 28th, 2008 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah its why I dont like girls only old ladies (past 40) or really little girls younger than 14 - this is all egotistical though i can transcend it if I dont get into my ego

i hated highschool but all of the boys were nice to me so I grew up to love men

---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have always been a loner, don´t think i was exactly bullied in a way of phisically messing with me, but i was rejected constantly, i had the same group of people during all gradeschool through highschool and i never fit in, i was pretty much an outcast.

I got picked on a few times when beginning middleschool i remember, but due to the simple fact that i never responded or really looked for trouble, or even reacted (just being unexpressive, like nothing happens) i was ignored. I would say is related to me being into drawing, i was never a dork, just a very serious guy who spent most of his time doing introspective kinds of things, like reading, studying or inventing something to pass the time, i learned to discover things by myself, to observe, to be able to be an individual with his own way if thinking and to read people beyond their expressions, hypocrites are everywhere.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I got picked on a lot, but it was because I moved around so I was perpetually the 'new' kid.

It stopped after I started to threaten to beat them up if they picked on me or my friends.

Highschool wasn't a problem - I went to an all girls school and just ignored the ones that were mean, and ended up making good friends.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    can you draw me a naked girl?"
    FOr me thats how it all started

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rist View Post
    I was bullied once or twice but nothing to pin my self down as a victim.
    Ditto. I was only hassled when I moved to a new town in grade school, where before that I was beating up bullies in my old home town and after grade school I stopped having problems all together.

I don't believe we become artistic because we are victimized.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had a few minor incidents through school, but i think i got off pretty light compared to a lot of others. My main problem was that it was my supposed 'friends' that were the people that caused the vast majority of any suffering i had during school and college. They werent a good crowd, and had no ambitions, and i think were a bit jealous that i did, and was developing exactly the skills i needed to follow those ambitions.
    The main thing they did was supress any urge to show creative flair. Luckily i found a great gal who inspired me and gave me the boost i needed to walk away and cut myself off from that group completely and follow my dreams.

We are still together now, and im studying for a BA in Visual Effects, and have a great group of mates now with similar interests and goals.

Ironically, i dont regret my past at all because it gave me a look at the darker side of life and there is nothing like it to keep me working hard and never end up back there. I dont think that what i went thru made me artistic as such, but it certainly feels good to be able to express myself now without fear.

Sorry, didnt mean to rant...

Nick

2008 - 2009 sketchbook:

Sketchbook

2007 - 2008 sketchbook:

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was bullied relentlessly in 4th, 5th, and 6th grade by two kids, until the 6th grade in which I snapped, got involved in a playground brawl, thankfully the teachers saw the other kids instigated, both were expelled, I was stuck in detention for awhile. But after that, never had an issue.

I wouldn't say being bullied made me artsy though. I don't view art as an anti-social, non-conformist thing at all. If anything, I view art as something that has expanded my horizons intellectually and socially, and if you were to ever meet me in person by the way I talk or look, you'd have no idea I paint pretty things for a living.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bullied in elementary school for a while until i made the kids bullying me stop. it wasn't be cause of my art though, it was because of my weight and because I was quiet.

i don't think that people turn to art because of being bullied, they turn to art, various forms, to express themselves. not everything can just be said, some things need to be displayed to be said.

I have always drawn, as long as i can remember i've had art supplies and would draw cartoons of whatever was in my head because it was fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Someone tried to bully me in 9th grade so I started bullying him in return. We became buddies after a while though.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Are you guys gay? I know some artists who are gay so I figured it applies to all of you. Just trying to prove a theory.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.