Illustrators vs. Fine Artist?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Illustrators vs. Fine Artist?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Illustrators vs. Fine Artist?

So I've heard some stories from people on both sides of the fence that there is sometimes a mutual contempt between people who are more "entertainment art" and people who consider themselves "fine artist." Specifically I've heard that there are many Illustrators and Fine Artist who disdain each others fields. For example that there are certain fine art galleries that would turn down any submission that seems to "illustrative" or ones that seem to imply to much storytelling. I have noticed at my own school that there seems to be a sharp (perhaps that's not the right word maybe distinct) division between the interests of our Fine Artist and those of us interested in doing work in the entertainment industry. It's not a serious point of contention, we make friends with people on the other side but it is something that I'm becoming more and more aware of.

For me it's a rather stupid distinction because I believe it's simply a line in the sand that people turn into a huge thing. I would consider most of the old masters who were painting Biblical and mythological themes to be "illustrators" and "Fine Artist."

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    each has its own stereotypes which are all equally valid and ridiculous as all stereotypes typically are. I've had experience with both and each has its good points and bad points. Generally speaking, illustration is what floats my boat, but good painting isn't exclusive to either side and it's all business in both cases. But hey, people love to have a group to complain about

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree. I have my own biases also. Fine artists are often to traditional and illustrators or graphic artists are to commercial. I put myself in the middle. I am more artistic than the graphic artists that I have worked with but fine art is to old fashioned for me.

Back in the times of the masters there wasn't really a division between commercial and fine art. The did what they were contracted to do. Not all of them had a focused expertise either. These days people seem to have more focused talents.

That's my two cents.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you do a search, you'll discover that this particular subject has been covered a number of times--in fact, it was the basis for some real fun "discussions" (which is probably the most polite term I could find to use...), something most of us don't want to go through again.

Try searching for Illustration vs Fine art, or just the words Illustration Fine Art in one request. I do agree with your statement, "For me it's a rather stupid distinction because I believe it's simply a line in the sand that people turn into a huge thing." I would add the words "moronic," "naive," and maybe "an absolute waste of time on all fronts" if you can possibly squeeze them in there without too much hassle.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a versus!?

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep. It comes right after "I'm a complete idiot" in the dictionary. that's probably why most people can't find it...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Stephen, you're at LAAFA, right? I would think there would be less of this crap there than at many places.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see a west side story-esque fight scene in an alley....get yer tap shoes on!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I get to play Maria! I just bought this really nice flouncy off-the-shoulder thing...

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dear kindly Sergeant Ilaekae,
    You gotta understand,
    It's just our bringin' up-kae
    That gets us out of hand.
    Our mothers all are junkaes,
    Our fathers all are drunks.
    Golly Moses, natcherly we're punks!

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 633 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't worry StephenJ, art discussions are merely a social disease!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At my school it was graphic design vs. fine arts . . . which didn't really make sense because most of the best graphic designers were in a lot of the upper level Fine Arts classes with most of us F/A folks meaning that most of us who knew better got along great it was those who were still kind of "wet behind the ears" that didn't know any better.

The big divide that was at my school dealt with the fact that only G/D students were the only ones allowed to take flash courses and the web design classes (any real computer intensive art program aside from intro stuff) . . . that was the part that sucked! and where the jealousy and things of that nature came from.

Oh . . . TIGERS . . . MEOW! . . . I'm getting ready for the rumble!

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Where would put Aubrey Beardsley? Clearly hes an illustrator but those lines are divine and are so much more. What about Toulouse-Lautrec? Hes an artist that did posters. Taking your argument about Bible illustrations where does that put Michelangelo? Long live art in all its forms and hugs to everyone.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a friend once told me "illustration IS fine arts, but with a career"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Illustrators are fine artists who get paid money.

But really, I don't personally don't care one way or the other. Good art is good art, in my book. Though, I do seem to notice that there is a little bitterness at RISD between Illustration majors and Painting majors. Rivalry has some benefits, at least.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Illustrators can afford to buy nicer shinier pointy-stabby things. Fine artists just plain fight dirty. So it all evens out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Stephen, you're at LAAFA, right? I would think there would be less of this crap there than at many places.

Indeed, of course not everyone thinks that way but there are a few people. Laafa tends to be a mixed bag, and it's not like we're so sectarian that the Fine Artist don't eat with the Entertainment art people and vice versa. The curriculim is sort of loosely based on 19th century academic ateliers, it's a great place to learn.

And I agree with Black Spot, what about the Michelangelo and the other 15th century artist? Are they "Illustrators" not "Fine Artist" for painting scenes from the Bible and Mythology? It's a really absurd distinction in my opinion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im very curious as to why this question is so troubling to so many CA-ers

far and away the most common thread, theme. it puzzles me that artists and illustrators wrestle over these lables....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    far and away the most common thread, theme
    oh oh oh! Don't forget "reference and cheating", "my significant other made me sad", and, of course, "I hate art, how do I make a living doing it?"

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DavePalumbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly, I think it stems from the fact that fine artists (nowadays) can't really draw... and they sit there, all gollum-like, and ponder the preciousness of being able to draw and render.... like all those nasty, evil, Illustrators do....

It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Nerahla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Which Wacam/pencil/computer system should I get to make my GF/BF love me more, but still allow me to switch between manga and "real" stuff without anybody knowing whether I'm self-taught or went to school, or getting caught up in that liberal/fundamentalist/incest/pets-or-no-pets thing?

I'm only asking this because I'm really confused by whether I'm really confused or not.

Damn! I forgot to mention that anyone who isn't an illustrator sucks...except maybe for those fine-arts guys...

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo View Post
    oh oh oh! Don't forget "reference and cheating", "my significant other made me sad", and, of course, "I hate art, how do I make a living doing it?"
    And "how do I develope a 'style'?" and "I'm just starting art... so where do I begin?"

My favorite is always the reference and cheating one though, because we all know every artist already knows what everything looks like.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "My eyedropper tool has gone all screwy, it switched to picking the background color!"
    And, of course...
    "Can someone design my tattoo?"

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "My artworks sucks . . . can anyone stroke my ego . . . and tell me why . . . without actually looking at my art or without anyone having any idea of what kind of artistic background I actually have?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...okay.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If this forum sticks around for a couple hundred years, maybe some poor art history archeologists of the future, will enjoy digging up all these fragmented threads and piecing them together again. You know I'm all for it

About the illustration fine arts thing… A couple years ago, when I was up in Sacramento, I was considering hanging some of my drawings in a local gallery, so I attended one of their showings and brought in some artwork for the curator to check out. I was surprised to discover how excited the guy got that it was not "commercial." He kept saying things like 'yeah, I like it, and you can tell it's not commercial...." with this snide grin that I can totally still picture in my head. I didn't go to art school, and had only been through like a semester or so of college, so I wasn't aware at that time of any great academic divides that artists are supposed to live and breathe. Instead I just thought he was taking a dig at me straight to my face, which really caught me off gaurd. I think I replied with something like, 'well if it's not commercial why would you even bother hanging it on the wall?' He seemed all shocked, and tried to recover by quickly blathering something about his clients, and then taking a bunch of subtle jabs at illustrators, I guess in some misguided effort to win me back over to his side. It was all highly awkward though, since most of my favorite artists are illustrators. Since then I'm becoming increasingly aware of how ubiquitous this attitude is, the whole 'illustration vs. fine arts' or 'commercial vs. intellectual' thing. I still don't understand where all the vitriol comes from though.

I can remember having a sense, even at pretty young age, that there were certain artworks, or artist, or types of art, that I didn’t really enjoy. I remember making fun of my dad, for hanging up a Nagel print that his girlfriend made him buy, when I was 12 for example. I also went through a big ‘abstract expressionism can go suck it’ phase when I was around 16 or so. I didn’t know anything, and didn’t care much for the intellectual scaffolding that propped up certain works. Either I thought it looked ‘cool’ or I didn’t, and that was about all you were going to get out of me. I can remember disliking Monet and Van Gogh pretty intensely when I was in high school, and had a very ‘meh’ attitude towards Picasso. Again though, that was mostly because I hadn't read any of the attendant history, and only really encountered what was in vogue during the late 80s early 90s by happenstance. The only reason I knew about Duchamp say, was because of a book that my grandpa had at his house, part of that The World of _ _ _ series that Time-Life put out at mid century. I always remembered liking the Durer and DaVinci books more, but I think the more I learned, the more I came to respect people and their innovations… even the artists I used to think were assholes.

It makes me want to don the white suite Tom Wolfe style, and hit the younger me with a cane. “Maybe you should crack a book, before I crack your head!” I’d say to me… or something along those lines. Try not to let all these distinctions sink in to deep I guess, because its mostly a matter of taste and the current trends in New York. It's unfortunate though that so many people are encountering all this bitterness in their art classes. Instructors at the intro level should probably just teach you what they know how to do, instead of trying to impress their personal aesthetic on you. Maybe that's not possible though

Last edited by Jasonwclark; June 30th, 2008 at 11:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a theme popular to newbies posting in the Finally Finished

"Hi, I just joined CA. These are my awesome works. Bow before me!"

then the follow-up.

"BAAAAAW. Youse just jealous of my 1337 skillz!"

35. The Following User Says Thank You to waranghira For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1