When Gods Dance (need help pushing this more)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

When Gods Dance (need help pushing this more)

Hey all been working on this on and off between studying for my Art History class and stuff. I finally had some time to put some serious time into this and I would really like to push this more. Both Godzilla and Cthulhu are suppose to be very deep in the sea where almost no light reaches plus I wanted a chiaroscuro to come through strong like from Caravaggio or Gerrit Von Honthorst. I am concerned about making this scene feel more like underwater, I will be adding some bubbles and schools of fish later, but I am wondering what else I could do. Plus I am open to any other comments or suggestions.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Paintover time!

Solid image so far, but there's no chiaroscuro except for maybe the bottom part. In chiaroscuro there has to be a lot of darkness with only hints of lit objects. So, more black, more contrast between light and dark.

For a more underwater feel, remember that water is more dense than air, and not only is any light underwater is going to glow a lot, anything it hits will have a lot less contrast. So in the areas where the guys are getting hit with some glow light, I took down the contrast and made it more foggy.

Hope this helps;

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jason. I am not so sure that I am that much darkness because I have a lot of stuff going on and I really don't want to loose that. I wasn't going for total Chiaroscuro because I also wanted both figures to be luminescent to a certain extent, guess I should have mentioned that haha. I like the quick bubble placement as you hit some areas and formations I didn't think of. Gonna work on this a bit more after I do some chores and get something to eat.

Thanks.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ito Saith Webb View Post
    Thanks Jason. I am not so sure that I am that much darkness because I have a lot of stuff going on and I really don't want to loose that.
    That's your choice, but don't ever be afraid to hide something - sometimes a little can say much more than a lot, and large areas of nothing emphasize the smaller areas of interest

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post
    That's your choice, but don't ever be afraid to hide something - sometimes a little can say much more than a lot, and large areas of nothing emphasize the smaller areas of interest

Very True

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow I must have been stressed out or really tired cause I took a nap and it lasted for quite while. Anyways did some more touching up of the contrast of the shadows, added some more detail and tweaked some of the light. I am feeling pretty good but I would like some fresh eyes on this before I start posting it on sites on like DA. Like before I am open to any kind of feedback. Hope you like it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The figure on the right is so complicated and new to the eye (meaning it's more unknown) that I am not sure what I am looking at, it's harder to tell where it begins and ends. I'd not work anyone on this, already a good job, learn more in your next piece.
    ~M

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.