Seth's Insanity : Need help with the WIP

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Seth's Insanity : Need help with the WIP

Hello,
    This is the very first time i post on ConceptArt.org's forum.
    So i feel a little intimidated....But I know that this is the best place to receive constructive criticism and advice. So thank you all in advance

Here is the picture, i really hope it uploaded correctly. I'm kinda desperate with this one. I don't know in what direction i should go.
    I know there are anatomical issues but the original drawing was done traditionnally and i don't think i'm going to rework on it...

however, for the colours i need help.
    It really lacks color contrast, the background is totally uninterresting and the character looks flat :/
    I think i started detailling too early, and focused on the face and only certain areas of the hair.

Perhaps i should add some blues in the shadows and greens in middle tones?
    And do something for the background..

Please help
    And thank you very much for looking.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that the hair gives the image alot of life, but there needs to be abit more shadow and tone around the face, rather than just using lines to show the form. Also the inside of the hair next to his eye seems abit too bright and could do with dimming down which would give the image abit more contrast.

I really like the piece though and that it does have alot of life in the form, especially the way he/she is running their fingers down the hair, reminds me of a beauty and the beast style of concept. Good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to conceptart.org Rh˙nn. Don't worry everyone feels that way the first time they post. Ok first off I really like what you have going on right here and it is a great start. For the anatomical issues I find it is better to plan a bit ahead of time, the reason I say this is that it looks to me your trying to figure out your composition as you go along. Sometimes that is OK but in this case you are starting to get stuck. I would have to say the first thing to catch my notice is his neck that is misaligned with his left shoulder. I would suggest perhaps having the neck curve more straight down and show that neck shoulder muscle, not sure what it is called. Now I am seeing a big decision where you are going to put his right hand shoulder. You could either bring it in like he was cold or sweep it back to suggest that he is striding forward. I really like the warm colors of this piece and to help with that contrast try bringing in those warm yellow highlights from his hair into his face a bit, but subtle like. You can use a very dark green, I suggest in the olive range, to help with the contrast but work it in slowly from the most shadowy areas.

Hopes this helps.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much.

Yes you're right the sketch wasn't exactly supposed to be a colored piece. I was just doodling and totally forgot about anatomy and and composition.
    That muscle you're talking about must me the sterno-cleido-mastoidian, yes it would have helped to see it...
    Now that you talk about it I see theses errors, a shame that i can't really change anything :/
    I should be careful next time...

And for color I'm going to do as you say, bring some yellows in the face and using blue/greens/purples in the shadow.
    I'm going to post the second WIP as soon as it looks better

Thank you very much !

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    on the left in the red stroke, a rotated version of your head to show how wacky the perspective on the ears is. On the right, how the ear should probably be positioned

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I kinda wanted the ear to look like it was muscleless.. I don't really know how to explain this. Like if one ear was normal and the other "broken".
    But I failed and It looks odd anyway...

As I said in the first comment i didn't really had the intention to touch the pencil sketch or drawing at this stage of the coloring phase. Because I have my lines on one layer and the colors on other layer, rotating the ear would mean to flaten it all :/
    But I should probably do it anyway in the end.. What do you think?

And thank you very much for your comment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by [Rh˙nn] View Post
    Well I kinda wanted the ear to look like it was muscleless.. I don't really know how to explain this. Like if one ear was normal and the other "broken".
    But I failed and It looks odd anyway...
    because you didn't painted it like it was folding

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the updated version i came up with.
    I still have to fix the ear, but as i said, i will do it at the very end after flatening the whole image.
    I added the second arm... Added colors in the hair, brought some yellows into the face and put some purple highlights in hair, darkened the background with dark greens and blues And put some details here and there...

But it still looks unfinished to me...The background is bothering me..
    Thank you very much for all your help but if you could give me some tips for that background it would be absolutely awesome.

Thank you very much again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You mentioned before that this piece was 'flat'. You're right, follow those instincts, and look for more shadow and highlight - it will help define the unique shapes of your creature. It's a bit overdone these days, but even a backlight might help pull the creature's form out a bit more. Thanks for your first post!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.