Thanks

Question Any artist want to see their creations in 3d

Hi i'm dan woolley from Marionette Studios. You may have seen due to recent events that I'm in need of concept art.
    Firstly Marionette is not a company (yet!) and i'm using the name for my portfolio. At the moment i'm trying to build up a collection of hires models.

So what am I asking?

I'm looking for any concept artists out there who have some work they would like to see recreated in 3d! Any concepts I use will be displayed on my site (if the artist wishes it to) with the creators name and a link to there site/portfolio/email whatever they like!

I would like to have a section on my site where each design I've work from can be displayed. I'm very excited to work with different concepts

The idea is that if anyone looks at my work, they can find the appropriate concept artist and get in contact with them easily!

I warn you now, original artwork only please!!! (already gone down that road!)

I hope to hear from people soon :chug:
    Dan

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Question

I hope you don't take any offence at my question Dan but why aren't you making models of your own designs?

-Bad Mange
    If I ventured in the slipstream between the viaducts of your dreams
    Where immobile steel rims crack and the ditch in the back roads stop
    Could you find me?
    - Van Morrison, "Astral Weeks"

Thanks
    cause he's a modeller not a concept artist?
    Wanted: 30 chinamen and a zeppelin for an elaborate practical joke... can you help?

Thanks
    thats a good question! i could do some of my own designs but i want to be the best i can at animation and telling short animated stories. My first love is film and i want to be a film maker and at this moment i have chosen computer animation as my medium.
    Now if i was to create a animated short i could create everything myself but i have to be able to look at the project as a whole and be able to realise whats best and i have to say getting a person who's main skill is concept art would be better than using anything i could come up with.

I hope this answers your question.
    Dan

Thanks

Cool

Hi Dan, you did answer my question. The reason I asked is because I'm faced with the same dilemma. I'm about to get my degree 3d. I like modeling, but really love animation. I've been concentrating on drawing from life rather than drawing concepts, and tend to start modeling without any real "plans" or even sketches. To get better an animating I've been using some pre-rigged and skinned characters from Rigging101.com (for Maya users), since we haven't been taught rigging and skinning yet.

I've read threads over at CGTalk.com and elsewhere about animation demo reels. They don't care if you have simple stick figures or detailed character models, as long as you can animate. I'm sure the same goes for modeling. If you've got the skills, it doesn't matter what you model.

So do you need to get permission to use the concepts as a design and give credit on you website? Or just go ahead and make the model and give credit to the artist on your site? Does it matter as long as you give credit?

-Bad Mange
    Could you find me?

Thanks
    As far as i'm aware as long as you give credit where credits due then its just concidered as fanart.(as long as you don't make money).

But after the recent trouble I've been through I think I'd rather get permision first!

Is there anyone who does know the proper rules?

Cheers :cool:
    Dan

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    you are doing fine dan.

if you would like to model anything conceptual on the www.massiveblack.com site you may....for portfolio or whatever....thats fine. just put the copyright info from that piece and the link to where you got it from.

there are some characters and a couple robots and stuff....

jason

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    thiinking about it more...i hope some of you concept artists to be will work with him...it would be good experience to work with a 3d artist.

jason

Thanks
    dan--check your private messages

Thanks
    Good to hear your opinion, Jason. For the sake of courtesy, I'll be contacting artists about modeling/animating anything they've created. I need stuff for my demo reel as well...

-Bad Mange
    Could you find me?

Thanks
    Sorry about this long post but some people wanted to see my work and my sites down at the moment.

These 2 first pictures are from an animation I did about a year ago of a girl who visits a puppet theatre,

puppet one

puppet two

These pictures are more recent models, the first is a work in prog. of the Guyver (designed by Yoshiki Takaya),

Guyver

This is finished model that I model from a picture Sam Brade drew, now since the troble with Sam I am unsure where the actual design came from, purhaps someone could tell me?

plane

Also this next image was the last thing I was working on. This was also an image Sam had done but now I can tell you this was actually made from 2 other artists work not Sams! The real artists are Feng Zhu and Nathan Campbell. I only got as far as the legs which come from a picture by Nathan that can be found on conceptart from a link on the home page.

Legs

Its a shame because I was really enjoying modeling this one, now I doubt it will ever have a future.

Hope this is enough to satisfy you guys so far, hopefully I will be able to add lots more in the future and get my site back up.

Cheers guys,
    Last edited by danwoolley; October 27th, 2003 at 02:36 PM.
    Dan

Thanks
    hey dan--really nice models man. great stuff

well ill see what else i can dig up..but this thunderdome piece is probably the best thing i have that has the most info ( diff angles of poses) that would be good for modeling.

lemme know what you think.. if your looking for something different to model its cool--ty

also if you do end up modeling...i would love to take an attempt at painting/texturing later on

http://www.funktion-studios.com/tyler/thunderdome.jpg

(also--IF you are interested i could always provide more art if you needed it for any clarification on anything....or you could also interpret and change anything you wanted to)