Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.
Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!
I don't know where but somehow I picked up the notion that it's possible to save a document in Photoshop, and have it automatically update in Painter (or vice versa). I can imagine this would be so useful (especially for those of us with slow machines).
So if this can be done, how? Is there 3rd-party software that updates all same-named documents open at the same time? Is there some advanced technique with Adobe Bridge or something?
Any other time-saving suggestions for moving between documents is appreciated!
It may be just a myth, whose source may be 3d. Atleast 3dsmax automatically updates .psd's set as maps when the viewport updates, so you can save the .psd and instantly see the changes on the model. I used to paint textures for objects that way: ps on first monitor, max running an animation (no motion, just for constant update of the viewport) on the second - the moment i hit ctrl+s, i see what it looks like in 3d.
Neither painter, nor ps seem to auto-update in this same way.
There may be 'reopen' hotkeys im not aware of, though.
[EDIT] just found out, PS, can auto-update files. Check Edit -> Preferences -> General -> "Auto-update open documents". And it appears it's possible to jump to another application using ImageReady's "jump to...", not sure about jumping directly out of ps, though.
[EDIT2] Ok, this is about as close as i can get to "an efficient painter-to-ps workflow", since imageready 'jump to' doesn't work and I haven't found an auto-update option in painter. Painter IX and PSCS:
1. have both apps and the same document(s) (.psd preferably) open in both of them.
2. make sure Edit -> Preferences -> General -> "Auto-update open documents" is checked in PS.
3. In Painter, go to Edit -> Preferences -> Customize Keys... and then map File -> Revert to some key - it's unmapped by default, I set mine to Ctrl+Alt+O.
4. Scribble in Painter, save, when you switch to PS, it'll auto-update from the newly saved .psd
5. Put a lense flare in PS, save, go back to Painter, hit your "revert" hotkey (+ 'revert' on the dialog that opens), and it'll update from the newly saved .psd
6. Repeate 4-5.
Last edited by Gerulaitis; July 1st, 2008 at 04:02 AM.