Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

I'm just giving up...

Every-time I try doing the skin tone, I end up cursing myself and unable to choose the next tone. The skin is too damn light for indoors yet here I wasted all that effort blotching in the details

I have no clue how to do the hair. I have no idea how to go about the hair pin. Detailed cloth for the hair and undergarments is out of my league, and I can't draw eyes (particularly irises) to save my life. She looks like a drugged-out hillbilly for Christ's sakes! She doesn't look attractive at all! She's suppose to have a cutesy, curious expression yet I even botched that too! Nothing I draw (anything I draw) comes out right and when it comes to coloring I botch it every-time.

What's the point of doing art anymore? There are even younger artists than I (I'm eighteen)who are way beyond my skill level.

Here's the shitty drawing. Feel free to help out anyway you can...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    dont be too hard on yourself. this is a great start. the only way i can suggest to help is look on the net for tutorials and keep practicing. if you fail just pick your self back up and start again. as for the artists who you feel are better than you that is always going to be the case. if you become the best at art straight away then you will stagnate and no longer improve. your character does look sexy but instead of focusing on the colours try focus on the light and shade on her then place the appropriate shade of what ever skin tone you feel you need. hope this helps.
    please don't give up in my opinion your half way there. tell me if you improve on this as i would love to keep track on it

Thanks
    Hehe, Phoenicorn is right, don't get too frustrated. I think you're at a rather natural stage of the process.

Everyone has wrestled with an image to try and get it to work. It's frustrating, but I think you have some good groundwork set here with your lines to make a good image, I would urge you not to abandon it just yet. Just take a break for awhile, a couple days, maybe a week...maybe a couple weeks.

In the mean time, if you haven't checked it out already http://www.furiae.com/ has both a great skin and great hair tutorial in the gallery section. Check it out!

Rock on man!

...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mute For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just redoing the coloring as a whole because of some errors in the construction of the face. Here's the original sketch.

What size should I make it for detailed coloring? The size of this picture is 884 x 1024.

Thanks
    don't overthink it. just blast away with a hard brush on high opacity until you've got something you like, THEN clean it up. go wild at first an then pull it back later- if you try to stay too neat at first you'll kill yourself with the pressure!
    chuck some different colours in there (blues/greens etc). try shrinking the window you are drawing in right down so you can't focus on the details until later.

Thanks
    You need to understand "values" - instead of worrying about colour at this point, put the drawing onto a mid-grey background, and paint in the shadows, and the lights, using darker greys/black, and lighter greys/white respectively. The insight you gain from doing this will help greatly with working in colour.

Thanks
    If your not having fun with this piece anymore then do a different painting and come back to this one later one. There have been countless times i've just wanted to give up on a piece, but its usually because when one thing goes wrong it just snowballs and gets worse, so by just taking a break from it you can start off with a fresh mind again and start to enjoy it because if your not enjoying it then your not going to be happy whatever the result.

Plus a good artist to listen to if you have any frustration with art is Bobby Chui, there are alot of his videos on youtube and just hearing him talk is alot of inspiration, or at least it is to me

btw mute thanks for the link, those are some great tutorials that I would probably have never found

Last edited by Fiori; June 26th, 2008 at 06:01 AM.

Thanks
    hey, if it was easy every body would be doing it. just take it easy and enjoy. it is the challenges (skin tone, clothing etc) that keeps us going. i agree with other comments that you should work on light and darkness. does not matter if it is the approppriate color if you put enough light and dark in it in approppriate places. cheers.

Thanks
    Thanks guys. Those tutorials were amazing, although I don't think the variations allotted in the skin tutorial fit for an indoors shot.

Thanks
    The problem is that I use Corel Painter and the tools in the Furaie tutorials don't seem recognizable among the brushes available to you.

rattsang is offline i am destructor bahhhhhhwwwaaaaaaaa!!!!!!
    Thanks
    hi Saigokarasu,

sorry to hear you feel like giving up, i know what it feels like and it sucks. when i feel stuck i usually do some study (loomis is always a good place to start, google it) this can give you the confidence to come back to piece with DETERMINATION. your drawing is good (i couldnt draw like that at 18) but if this is your first attemp at painting indoor lighting is much more difficult than outdoor. this is because indoor lighting has fall off- i.e. the light gets considerably weaker as it travels from the source, and to the untrained eye this 'gradiation' can be inperceptable. the result of this is all the values for light and shadow will be painted by the artist as being the same, when infact they are not. this makes the painting look patchy and 'odd' causing frustration. also if you havent studied anatomy and lighting you need you use reference. everyone needs reference at the begining even the pro's that dont use it anymore, reference is a form of study.

im gonna do a paintover in painter 9.5 here - hope you dont mind and ill explain the reasoning behind what i do. this is not the way i paint or is it the only way to paint but is a simple method you can use as a spring board to learn for yourself

first i lay in the local value of objects, this means there mid value- so black hair is not layed in as black but a dark grey.i do this on a new layer using the digital watercolor coarse mop brush on a multiply layer (uncheck pick up underlying color).
    then because its indoor lighting i layin a gradient using dark grey and white on a new multiply layer going in the same direction that our main light source points. this is to make me aware of the fall off i mentioned above, it is our lighting basis.

next you need to check your reference and block in your shadow areas on a new layer, here i used the digital airbrush tool and the same color.
    in diffused light the form turns very subtly so using the air brush saves time. rather than having to block in with a hard brush and waste time sofening almost everything, use an airbrush and then make a few bits sharp.

turn on pick up underlying color and make a new default layer. this will be our lights. this is where it gets slighlt more complicated. use the tinting basic round to paint. because your now painting opaquly you need you use roughly the righ values in the right areas. what i suggest you do<8 paying close attention to your reference) is to pick from the canvas a 'light area' slighlt closer to the light soure than the area you are about to paint on.

bear in mind i did this very quickly just to demonstrate (10 min) and my example is very rough but thats not the point. the point is you should be looking to define form by understanding the lighting instead of thinking in terms of value, this will greatly increase your chances of success. ive inclued a posterize version too- it helps you see the imperciable gradiation you need to strive for.

if you do these steps correctly you will have solid form, this is much more important than rendering skin or hair texture properly- with out form you have only flat texture. well im not gonna cover color here as i dont have time now- if you like this though i may come back later and post asome hints on skin color.

well good luck and bye for now.

its time to knuckle down and really lick boot!
    LOOK MOMMY! I laid a sketchbook!
    My Blog

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rattsang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Trying to look for a good reference photo for redoing the ski cap.

rattsang is offline i am destructor bahhhhhhwwwaaaaaaaa!!!!!!
    Thanks
    ok i will try to do a small tutorial on skin color today will post it here when its done. glad to see you found my ramblings useful

its time to knuckle down and really lick boot!
    LOOK MOMMY! I laid a sketchbook!
    My Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4