Best Colleges for Illustration major
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Best Colleges for Illustration major

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry Best Colleges for Illustration major

I just recently applied and got accepted to the Academy of Art univeristy in San Francisco CA and to me they seem to have a good illustration program, but its kinda pricey i was just wondering if anyone here knew of any schools out there that have really good illustration programs out there preferably a school that may be a little cheaper than AoA. I would really like something outside of CA but i'm open to any suggestions that anyone has. thnx

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    everyone raves about Sheridan in Toronto (or just outside, in Oakville)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm the Director of Max the Mutt in Toronto, so all I'm allowed to say is "check out our website." If you have any questions feel free to post on the Max the Mutt thread. We definitely offer high quality, affordable (about $10,000 a year), in depth training.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AoA's estimated expense is about $18.2k, this isn't bad for an art school. Have they offered you any scholarships or financial aid awards? You might try looking into "normal" state colleges with good art program reputations, they would probably be lower on the tuition. Or, if you have some schools that you're interested in, even if they are pricier at first-glance, you could always apply and see what sort of financial aid package you get. You may also want to talk to financial aid counselors at these schools, find out what your options are (grants, loans, work-study, etc).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well compared to that quote above, Sheridan is much cheaper. It's $7k at the moment, factor in cost of living and stuff and it'll still be cheaper than above.
    And you can be taught by Joe Morse

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPapaRaels View Post
    I just recently applied and got accepted to the Academy of Art univeristy in San Francisco CA and to me they seem to have a good illustration program, but its kinda pricey i was just wondering if anyone here knew of any schools out there that have really good illustration programs out there preferably a school that may be a little cheaper than AoA. I would really like something outside of CA but i'm open to any suggestions that anyone has. thnx
    As far as I can tell, Academy of Art is one of the more cheaper art schools out there. It's actually my last resort seeing as anyone who's everyone can get in there. My first choice would be the Art Center in Pasadena, though one semester there would equal to one year at Academy of Art as far as tuition goes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I spent almost 2yrs at AoA and learned a lot there. I had to leave because the cost of living in the Bay area was too much for me (among a couple personal issues as well that are a bit more private). I got more out of that time there than I ever did at university program that i studied at for 4yrs previous. I'd highly recommend it if you can afford to live out there. the Illustration program is very good and when I was there, a couple artists from Pixar were teaching courses. They tend to draw many 'working' professionals to come teach for a year or 2 quite often and that helps a lot with student morale. The student body had a very international flair to it with people from all over the world taking classes. Facilities are very good (they have a very good 3D and 2D animation programs, i actually studied Illustration with 2D animation). If I could work out a few things including being able to live out there I'd be back in a heartbeat (harder for me as well since I'm not a Cali resident, so I couldn't get state financial assistence, so that's another bonus if you live in CA).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've heard good things about School of Visual Arts in New York...D:

Members who have read this thread: 1