Sketchbook: Arne - Retro gaming, concept art and ideas - Page 25

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    And the third sheet. Edited the old ones a bit too.

Arne - Retro gaming, concept art and ideas

Of course, in all of the three games, the encounter pictures just represented the general notion of what an enemy looked like (i.e. Medusa, Scylla, Naga etc used the same picture). With monsters from all three games put into one bestiary, filling out the ranks like that might not be necessary. It's also possible to paint up variations of the original sprites, because they're kinda loose. I already did that with the mouse droids and a couple of other guys.

Overall, I've been pretty productive these last three days, with not much wrist problems, though I did stop to rest every now and then. Feels like things might turn out OK on the wrist front. I've even been able to do some pushups. I was able to do 60 consecutive this summer, now I'm own to like 10 due to lack of arm use ._.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Prometheus|ANJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    when Im in the mood and procrastinating on something, I like to act as if I was interested on the shit they want to sell and hang just before I close the deal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just don't want to waste time on them. I ran the experiment on today's caller. Stayed on for 2 minutes then I hung up. Maybe 30s was on the low end.

Star Frontiers. A PnP RPG from 1982. PDF's can be found online here, though they may contain some fanon.

Comments:
    This is my take on the main playable races. I changed a few things, like making the legs of the bug-like Vrusk of varied length. I think it transitions into the torso better. 4+4 equal sized legs felt crowded and pointless.

The Yazarians are some kinda tall flying squirrel-monkey. I thought they looked a bit too squat in the original artwork, and I changed the anatomy of the gliding wings to better accommodate for worn gear and melee combat.

The Dralasites are perhaps the most fun of the playable races. They're amoebas, but appear to have a preference for a sort of humanoid, tripod figure.

There are actually two kinds of worms, the S'sessu and Sathar. They remind me a bit of the Ur-Quan. Perhaps there's a connection.

I don't like my Mechanon drawing. It's too greebly and unfocused. The Mechanon's faces are sort of similar to the Mechan's of Starflight. The Mechanon were introduced along with a few other races in one of the expansions I think (Zebulon's Guide to the Frontier?).

I also drew a Queequeg, because it reminded me of a Lovecraft creature. I don't like how my version of it turned out though. There's another similar looking creature that's kinda fun, the Edestekai.

Edit: Added more figures. I wanted the Osakar to be more alien, so I moved the upper torso down. The Ifshnit were generic Dwarves which didn't seem to fit the setting. I changed them into beard-owls. The Humma were plain kangaroos. I didn't know what to do with them, but I thought they should look less like animals trying to handle human equipment. I added some sideburns and SWAT-gear, and erected the pose. Perhaps with some Raptor claws they could be good at close combat.

Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; December 7th, 2011 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    S'sessu's lookin great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The termite here is based on an old drawing by Erol Otus, and so is the cover (Gamma World GM screen).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if Sonic even works as a game concept. Maybe on a wide screen. I always thought sonic was too claustrophobic for its speed. I liked how the first games looked though. The robots and rescued animals are cute and the levels feel tangible. The Sonic design illustrates how mixing unusual ingredients can work to create something more memorable. I think a good design should be both familiar and strange. Blue cartoon hedgehog with punk spikes? Imagine if Sonic had been brown-gray and had more regular hedgehog spikes. Imagine the Alien without the banana head. Though... Nintendo somehow made the more generic Mario design work. Maybe that was more about persistence.

Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; December 10th, 2011 at 11:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sonic feels like it needs a lot more screen real estate to be properly playable without dropping your rings every time there's some spikes on a wall facing your direction of movement, though some people are scarily good at those games. I think it's more about rote-learning the levels than lightning fast reflexes though.

Loving the star frontiers designs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ View Post
    I don't know if Sonic even works as a game concept. Maybe on a wide screen. I always thought sonic was too claustrophobic for its speed. I liked how the first games looked though. The robots and rescued animals are cute and the levels feel tangible. The Sonic design illustrates how mixing unusual ingredients can work to create something more memorable. I think a good design should be both familiar and strange. Blue cartoon hedgehog with punk spikes? Imagine if Sonic had been brown-gray and had more regular hedgehog spikes. Imagine the Alien without the banana head. Though... Nintendo somehow made the more generic Mario design work. Maybe that was more about persistence.
    I agree with you, but despite being more generic than sonic, mario is still about a plumber who travels the world using pipes while gathering coins and killing turtles and walking mushroom thingies, also eating the neurotoxic amanita muscaria as a powerup. So that supports your theory.

the point is making the design unique, but I guess one should try to do so while not making something totally bizarre, so bizarre doesnt become a rule or a crutch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very interesting sketches man.
    Focus on your lines, try to have a flow by drawing soft and not doing too many lines only for a point.
    Keep up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Designing videogame stars and mascots (and a good game along with it) is not an easy thing. Ristar, Zool, Cool Spot, Pulseman... Even if successful, the mascot can still fail because it's on the wrong platform, lack of sequels or momentum.

These are paraphrases of the Sonic Badniks (for my imagined Sonja game) rather than "fan art". I like the idea of little animal pilots,though I'm not sure that's the mechanic in Sonic.

Edit: Random idea: The height of a ring-crystal over the ground determines pickup sound pitch (scale). Color determines instrument. Run through pickups, play a melody.

Gameplay: Tribes, run-skiing back and forth between your base and the baddie's base? This way you'll learn the level, and can eventually plan routes which allows you to keep your momentum. I think avoiding parallax for the BG (or have some sort of positional reference points) can be spatially helpful. Scaling or scroll ahead at high speeds can work too (and a mini-map / radar). Randomly placed enemies, the roaming mighty Dr Vial ship, and slowly respawing powerups (rings, boxes) can force the player to vary his path for return trips and such. Going into attack mode (spiky ball?) trades speed for safety.

Herzog Zwei style capturing of mini-bases (fill with animals)? Deployables?

Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; December 10th, 2011 at 11:10 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prometheus|ANJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man those sonic designs are SO COOL
    You've done a great job at giving them a really believable Game Boy feeling, and I just love the design of Dr. Vial's aircraft!

it occurs to me that both my emotions and reactions are ill-placed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the last lot, especially the shark(?) ship!.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. I'm not sure how the perspective guns would work in a 2D sidescroller. Maybe they only show when the ship yaws.

Here are some quick, probably failed, mascot drawings for LudumDare. These look like random Pokémon / critters more than anything else.

Aside from being charming and animated, I think a good mascot design should also be... clever without being contrived. I'm not sure how to pull that off. In some cases persistent exposure is enough though, but it's not ideal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dear Prom,
    please make one of your game ideas,
    and then I will buy it.
    Thanks,
    Andy.

Serious note; I think you have a really good head for seeing what that sort of 'catch' is that would make a game fun to play or interesting. The sonic idea is really interesting.
    My major problem was with sonic is that its asking you to play a super fast 'fluid' game, but when you play a level for the first time your never get it right and it gets broken up. Supplying a system for replaying/re-travelling the level seems pretty smart, without a 'gameover, you gotta try again'.

Keep up the excellent work dude.

PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm having some difficulties finishing stuff. Fingers crossed that this Ludum Dare goes well though.

Volturnian Creatures from Star Frontiers.

Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; December 13th, 2011 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was trying to do some of the Unreal characters, but they give me absolutely nothing to work with. They all have the same big-hand-feet muscle bodies, same silhouettes, and some variation on the head and minor texture bits. Normally I try to find some prominent feature then I exaggerate that and use it as a theme for the figure.

These were the only characters that I felt like I could do something with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice re-imagining of the Unreal-verse! I've always wanted to do a redesign myself but it's one of those things one keeps putting off.

Aaah fond memories of stepping off the vortex rikers, marvelling at the world's beauty and then plunging to my death off a cliff I didn't see while admiring the most stunning waterfall I'd seen in a game.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I gotta say, I've been a major fan of yours for years now. i'm always happy to see new designs of yours whenever I pop into concept art.org once in a blue moon.

I want to ask if you've uploaded your tutorial somewhere on the inter webs? Your website link has shut down, and I've no idea how to access it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    npmartin- This should work http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/

Prom- Last week I came across cave story, sure sounded familiar somehow but I did not quite from where that familiarity came. So playing through the game and entering the desert part I find this house. With a secret hallway containing .. PANTIES! It was your fan art in the back of my head all the time! Thanks for that ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Speaking of Cave Story, here's something I worked on for the LD 22 Jam. I did a bunch of other gfx too, but I'm gonna polish those up a bit. I also think I need to do some temple architecture tiles to break the stone block monotony.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prometheus|ANJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did you finish your LD game / make something playable?
    I can imagine youd do what I'd do and spend too much time making everything look super sexy, which I might add; it does look super sexy.

PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the pop of the foreground art over the background, that's a skill I need to develop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WOW!

As a beginner game programmer, amateur artist and an interested in game design, I am a big fan of your art and design style!

Last edited by aveRage; December 29th, 2011 at 09:29 AM.
    sketchbook? sketchbook! SKEEETCHBOOOOOHK!! GAAAAAH!!1
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=192132&page=2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For those who haven't found it yet, here's the LD entry: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum...review&uid=110

The tiles are gorgeous, but I think Aquaria-like big non-tiled chunks would be better at this resolution and level of detail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey arne, youre inspiring me for some years now - please make something playable out of these amazing designs
    http://androidarts.com/ludumdare/Chr...%20Utility.png

a 2d game designed by you would be a blast i guess!!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to RaphaelLuebke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I worked a bit more on Chromboid, but... derailed. Started looking into the Touhou games. You've probably run into the "bullet hell" game Perfect Cherry Blossom on youtube at some point if you're a gamer. It's actually the 7th game in the series of indie games made by a certain "ZUN" (he makes music, gfx and code alone). The characters in the Touhou-verse are quite popular and there's a lot of fan content.

Programming a bullet hell is not that hard. The tricky part is coming up with fun and varied bullet patterns and most of the time is spent programming new kinds of behaviors, effects, timings, and nudging stuff around. After having worn myself out struggling with these things, I decided to do some character art instead. At first I was going to do some 80's anime style, but eventually I decided to use proportions closer to those used by ZUN, though a bit more curvy. I'm not much for spaghetti/stick legs.

(These designs are all mine.)

I did these as the fireworks were going off outside, which is suitable because that's what a bullet hell looks like.

Edit:Updated image with some colors. Also, this is what my engine looked like after a few hours. I spent 3 more days on it but a screenshot now would look almost exactly the same.

Video of the sixth game.

Love the music.

Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; January 1st, 2012 at 04:42 PM.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prometheus|ANJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love watching you project-jumping. But seriously.. If you're gonna pick something to define yourself, there are better choices than "not finishing things." Besides, that's my thing. In all well-meaning ways to criticize a persons character...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just watched an episode of futurama with the flying spaghetti monster... Not sure if you came up with the actual design or not but when I saw that i just thought how bizarre it is the way it's taken off like that. Being part of a cultural movement in a really unexpected way.
    Also, great sketchbook, very inspiring.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bara View Post
    I just watched an episode of futurama with the flying spaghetti monster
    Arne, you better hit up Fox for royalty.

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 28