Watercolor Sets and Brushes

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Watercolor Sets and Brushes

If this is in the Wrong Forum, please tell me, or move it, or both.

Anyway, I am looking to buy another set of Watercolors ( an Opaic set) and was wondering if anyone has any good preferences

As for Brushes...SABLE. NOTHING ELSE COMES CLOSE.

I can get the same line with a 7 WITHOUT touching it that i get with a 00 that the school gave me ( HINT- prison grade brushes), and they will give you excellent control, the're just superior.

The aim of art is to project an inner vision into the world, to state in aesthetic creation the deepest psychic and personal experiences of a human being. It is to enable those experiences to be intelligible and generally recognized within the total framework of an ideal world. - Bruce Lee

It's really just Glorified juggling, except you get REALLY hurt when you drop one and it swings somewhere painful... - Me, on the Three Section Staff
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,489 Times in 3,695 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A whole set? Don’t you mean replace the odd block that you’ve used to destruction? Why a whole set?

Forget sable, finger tips and nail gouging is where it’s really at.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sable is kinda wobbly I'd buy the "white synthetic" ones instead of those if your looking for fine details, they have much more control then there "thread mimicking" counterparts, sable, is a bit lazy when it comes to loading a brush with paint that will last a little longer then a few strokes.

edit:thats comletly the wrong way round. typing error...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Natural hair has a certain springyness and memory that synthetics don't have. They also have a natural taper to each hair, that most synthetics don't have (there are a few brands that try to mimic it). As for paint load, they are usually considered much better there too. Because of that natural taper, you can hold a lot of paint in the belly of the brush, and then it comes out in the tight control of those fine tips. Since synthetics don't have those nice full bellys, they don't have as much holding power. Combine that with the way they grow tired and unshapely faster, good sables are an excellent tool.

That isn't to say synthetics are bad, they just are better for other things. Acrylic is one of those things. Acrylic tends to get stuck in the natural inconsistancies of real hair, where as synthetic brushes give them far fewer points to grab on. Synthetics are also great if your painting approach is abusive to brushes, since they are cheaper and more disposable. Synthetics are also very durable against certain surfaces that destroy real hair faster.

For watercolors though, I'd personally stick with natural hair brushes, sables being great for a variety of uses.

Opaque water colors are usually gouache. They are great for being very opaque, and coming in a wide range of fairly pigment intense colors. Most of the companies that make quality waatercolors also make gouache, so stick with the brands you already like in my opinion. Winsor and Newton is pretty widely available, and the quality is at least standard (I'm sure some true water media artists will have brands they like better though).

Last edited by J Wilson; June 25th, 2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Because!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.