General criticism appreciated!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face General criticism appreciated!

Hallo, I'm Horatio, a fourteen-year old girl with a huge Oscar Wilde obssession. More with the entire 19th century, really. It's strange that this doesn't show very much in my drawings.

Anyway, as you've just read, I'm fourteen. I consider myself a reasonable artist sometimes, a shitty artist often, and I've seen people my age churn out amazing drawings. I'd like to do that too.
    Now, one of my most serious issues is, I think, that I started off with super kawaii animu, something that's fucking me over right now because I never really learned proper anatomy and I'm trying my hardest to distance myself from manga styles as much as possible. This sucks because I recently won a manga contest (undeserved victory, imo, even though I'm very happy to have won) and I have no idea what to do with all the free manga I'm going to receive D:

Anyway, on to the shitty art!

This was my second time using markers to colour an image. I see a bunch of faults, like the jaw being pretty damn big, the nose being too small and the perspective being way, way off.
    Still I was super proud of it when I finished it 2-4 months ago :/

Did I mention I do massive amounts of gay? Well, I do. Because I'm hormone fueled or something, I don't really care. Man on the bottom looks weird but I sort of like the other guy's face.
    Based on a Pet Shop Boys song because I love Eurofag Dancepop :I

This is one of my most recent drawings, even though my awesome scanner hasn't really made the colours look any good. They were already kind of bad but still.
    Peacebone's a pretty cool song.

This is just silly. And this is what my (even) more 'cartoony' style looks like. I'd lie if I said it was very original though :/

I love Richard Quest. I'm not total rubbish at semi-realism, I like to think.

Boris Jonhson, requsted by a friend.

I just noticed I don't seem to have any pictures where you can see my awful anatomy very well, so I'll try to scan some in and post them later. Meanwhile:
    This is a picture with pretty shitty anatomy, I think I can do better now. Plus he looks far too skinny and unmanly ):

I thought I wouldn't post a sketchbook thread yet, because I really think I could use more practice before that I did read the sketchbook forum rules and looked at other threads, but if I'm doing it wrong feel free to call me a dumbass, lock the thread and have me create another one in the proper forum.
    Anyway, critiques would be wonderful, since I'd love drawing professionally later on and I need all the help I can get.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love what you have posted. All of it. I would do like what you were talking about. If you know you need to work on anatomy, break out the books and start drawing from them, and drawing, and drawing. You definitely have skills. One thing that might help you overall...leave the self degradation behind you ("shitty" really isn't a good term in being critical anyway). It won't help you. You need to be your biggest fan. If you don't respect yourself (artistically speaking) it will be hard for others too. And even its pseudo-self suffering, it's not a good thing. Once again, great content!!

Check out my sketchbook!!

My web site gallery

Everything you ever said to me, very slowly, just drifted away...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jergrif73 View Post
    I love what you have posted. All of it. I would do like what you were talking about. If you know you need to work on anatomy, break out the books and start drawing from them, and drawing, and drawing. You definitely have skills. One thing that might help you overall...leave the self degradation behind you ("shitty" really isn't a good term in being critical anyway). It won't help you. You need to be your biggest fan. If you don't respect yourself (artistically speaking) it will be hard for others too. And even its pseudo-self suffering, it's not a good thing. Once again, great content!!
    Thank you very much! I definitely need to work on my anatomy, and I'm planning on buying a couple of reference books. The somewhat limited skills in it I have right now come from three days where I sketched nothing but nude models to get them right, so I really know it works and I should do it more often
    People keep saying I have to stop degrading myself, and I know I should, too. I just get all sorts of nervous when people post brilliant stuff miles above my level so I fell like my drawings look a bit silly and bad in comparision. I'll try to change, though!

If anyone was wondering, this is the comic I mentioned in the OP, I'll link it:
    http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8...lscoverwo7.jpg
    http://i29.tinypic.com/2qvz41i.jpg
    http://i29.tinypic.com/1zdm9me.jpg
    http://i29.tinypic.com/2nq9kz6.jpg
    http://i25.tinypic.com/6ps4uw.jpg
    http://i29.tinypic.com/2vnnd5e.jpg

I did it in a school week in a tearing rush to not submit it too late, in March. I can see all the flaws now, even though pages 4 and 5 were re-done for the contest at the last minute so they look better than these (they're in my other computer though). I think the worst thing is that I used Paint Tool SAI/Photoshop to make it, and I realize that I really need to master pencils before moving on to computer art.
    I didn't get this before though so I have a bunch of weird looking tablet drawings in my hard drive :/
    It also still looks super manga, but I like to think I've managed to my my stuff less like that and a little more American.

Also a mini-comic thing I drew a day before one of the infamous Anti-Scientology protests, which I attend because Scientology's fucking creepy and I have nothing else to do every other Saturday. Contains implied faps because hey:
    http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/2...isecopyme8.jpg
    Har har har give yourself a pat on the back for that one, Horatio.
    Look into that baby's eyes. Those dead, dead eyes.
    Suri.
    She's arguably the best thing in that strip c/d

No but seriously I usually don't do fap jokes but I'd seen people joking about this so :I Now that I see it again it isn't funny at all :/

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.