Sketchbook: Musings of an absent mind... (Image Heavy, nudity, On Hiatus) 10/4/08
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Musings of an absent mind... (Image Heavy, nudity, On Hiatus) 10/4/08

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Musings of an absent mind... (Image Heavy, nudity, On Hiatus) 10/4/08

Well, I've been reasonably terrified of posting anything here for the longest time. Most people here totally outshine me, but I'm finally confident enough to start a sketchbook. I'm 17, been drawing seriously for probably about two years. I carry a sketchbook with me everywhere. I have a terrible fear of people stealing my characters, so most of the stuff I post will be referenced or very quickly drawn.

Quick Note: The comments on images here refer to the images attached to the second post, before the second post image. I took all the attached images from this post and put them in the second post so that I could easily change the thread's thumbnail.

Assuming the attachment manager works the way I think it does, referenced work is first and it's ordered newest to old.

Next are some unreferenced digital paintings followed by quick sketches. They are newest to old to the best of my knowledge. My line quality is terrible.

Comments and crits welcome.

Most of the referenced pictures are from domai. I'll post model names, if they're wanted. Anything in color (at least in the first post) was done with Nintendo DS colors. http://www.collectingsmiles.com/colors/

I apologize in advance for the picture quality. I don't have a scanner.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kasumi; October 11th, 2008 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Changing Date
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Another Quick Referenced Painting

Quick Note: I moved all the images from the first post into this post, so I could change the thread thumbnail easily. Therefore, the comments in this post refer to the images attached AFTER the "Post Two" image.

So here's another quick nintendo DS referenced painting. I kind of gave up. I guess I'll try to get at least one thing up here a day.

Edit: Also here are some fast sketches I did. I took a picture of the amount time, and then each drawing in each picture after it took that amount of time. Then there will be a new time. Shouldn't be hard to figure out. I think the 30 and 60 second faces are the best personally.

As far as things go, I'm not sure what to do with the bodies when I fast sketch. When I'm doing the really fast ones, I kind of frantically go up and down trying to get the whole body as fast as possible, but when it gets to 60 seconds, doing that doesn't work that well. I end up with something that looks worse than the 30 seconds drawings. So am I supposed to focus on smooth lines at the point?

And... if you feel there's too many fast drawings here, I try and take some off.

Last edited by Kasumi; September 17th, 2008 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't post yesterday, or the day before. Didn't draw that much more anyway.

Here's a skeleton reference "painting" done with Colors! followed by some quick unreferenced doodles. I'm planning on drawing that skeleton as well, then trying to draw and digitally paint it without reference. See how much I can get memorized. Skeleton legs and hands coming soon. Hopefully tomorrow.

Last edited by Kasumi; July 17th, 2008 at 06:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Meh. Here's a bad post day. The skeleton drawn from reference (bad picture quality. I'll change it when I get to a computer I have more options on) and another digital painting with Colors! I made it in about thirty minutes while watching my brother play Bad Company for 360. The size is halved because I can't make it less than the forum's size limit for pngs any other way on this computer. Hopefully more tomorrow. Also, expect this post to be updated with better quality versions of these two pictures.

Edit: Pictures fixed.

Last edited by Kasumi; July 17th, 2008 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Fixing pictures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have not posted in a long while. I've haven't had convenient access to the net. This has not stopped me from drawing.

Oldest to newest referenced (Kinda. The box pictures aren't referenced), followed by newest to oldest from mind.

The from mind starts after the "Shoulder Girdle" and "Upper Limb" bones.

As for comments, The shoulder girdle and upper limb bones were done in a moving car. The second "from mind" picture with the two figures were also drawn in a moving car. The last from mind drawing was not really intended to be finished. (though it DOES show how much I need to work on faces) I was just messing around with mixing colors. The colors in the top left were all I used to make the other colors. (Not very impressive I know.)

That's all. Hopefully I'll be able to post more often, but I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited by Kasumi; July 17th, 2008 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Same as always...

Referenced oldest to newest, then colors! referenced pictures. Then unreferenced pictures oldest to newest.

The most interesting things here are probably the referenced things. The pictures I drew of my feet and the still life are all right. Then the torsos. The referenced Colors! paintings are all done fairly fast. The one of the person with their feet up was done in the movie theater before the movie was starting. I'd say three minutes. The self portrait with the DS was about 10-15 minutes. I was waiting for someone in a store, so I did that using a mirror. The woman was just a quick little thing. Probably wasn't worth uploading. The car was ten to fifteen minutes. I was waiting for a ride.

The unreferenced stuff is pretty blah. Shapes and whatnot. In the last image I tried to mess with reflection. It's probably done all wrong. I haven't studied light too much. I should be able to update more often now, so let's hope I can make more posts with less images, rather than less posts with more images.

As usual, any kind of response is welcome. Thanks for your time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New things

Another long period between updates. I haven't been drawing nearly as much as I should. There are no unreferenced pictures in this update, because I haven't made any worth posting. In any case, I've removed a few of the images from this sketchbook in hopes it'll cut down on some of the load time.

I've been trying new things, and hopefully that shows in this update. I've been working on my line confidence and drawing with my whole arm, as well as seeing shapes in the figure. I've posted my first nude male studies, as well as some fast drawings at the end, because I'm trying a new method with those as well. The first nude male is a tad light, but I hope you'll be able to see it. I'm rather proud of it, because I did better at drawing across the figure instead of outlining it.

Oh yeah, I've started to draw hands and faces when I draw the figure too. Hands more than faces though. (I still don't do it 100% of the time. I know, it's a horrible habit to not draw these things)

Fast drawings start at 15 seconds, then go to 30 unmarked. The 60 second drawings are last, and you can see when they start because there's a 60 on the top left page in the picture where they start.

As per the usual... any kind of response is certainly appreciated. Comments/critique on older posts, anything.

And now, the drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a while again. But now I have regular internet access, so I'm going to try to update at least every other day, if not daily.

I'm splitting this update into two posts, because there's already boatloads of images on this first page, and I want to get to page two so the loading won't be so bad.

This post will contain unreferenced images, oldest to newest, plus one referenced picture of Oswald in Nintendo DS Colors for fun. I had some young cousins around the house around the time I did most of these drawings and didn't have time for in depth stuff, so it's fast doodles. The Oswald picture was done while they were being quiet and watching the program.

Next post is the referenced stuff. There's more of it. I'm sorry the pictures from these two posts are even blurrier than usual. I'm taking them from bigger sketchbooks and it was hard to focus it correctly. I know, get a scanner.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now for referenced things. Oldest to Newest as usual.

(Mouseover picture for filename)
    DSC01982-1990,1993 Are referenced from domai. All the others are posemaniacs.

I've finally done two pages of hands (DSC01984,85). There are some arms and torsos around too. DSC01993 is a blind contour, DSC01998 and 1999 were done with posemaniacs negative space viewer. The others are just untimed drawings from posemaniacs.

I'm sorry the pictures from these two posts are even blurrier than usual. I'm taking them from bigger sketchbooks and it was hard to focus it correctly. I know, get a scanner.

As usual, any kind of comment would be appreciated. If you have any ideas of excercises you think I should be doing, shoot. Any tips on what exactly I'm supposed to be looking for when I draw from an anatomy book, give em to me. (I've been neglecting doing this because just copying doesn't seem to get me too far)

That's all from me today. Hopefully I'll have more tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I order to get myself drawing/digitally painting more things outside my comfort zone, I've opened up the floor to some of my friends to give me random things to do. Yesterday my friend asked me to digitally paint The Brain Bug from Starship Troopers. I had no idea what it was, and I'd never even heard of any of the movies. In other words, it was exactly the kind of request I wanted.

I worked from three different reference images, and did a "pose" that wasn't in any one of them. It's good practice to use multiple reference images in a drawing. I simply don't do it. So that was a nice change. It definitely took between an hour and two hours, but I was distraced a lot, so it's hard to get specific. Painted with Nintendo DS Colors! as per the usual.

There are some issues with banding and I didn't paint the little bugs that carry it, but I'm still pretty proud of it.

This is a smaller update than update than usual, but I don't think anyone will mind. This sketchbook already takes forever to load.

As usual, any kind of comment is appreciated. Though I've discovered that simply trying to get this thing updated daily is a good enough reminder of the times I don't draw as much as I should, and it's only been a day.

I'm actually kind of worried that my daily update streak will be broken after just one day. I'm busy tonight and tomorrow, and I barely drew when I had time last night. (Hence, why there's only one image)

Edit: Process pictures added on 9/21/08

Last edited by Kasumi; September 21st, 2008 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As expected, not a lot got done. Some quick things from posemaniacs negative space viewer, and one referenced domai picture. Hopefully more and better things tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So these daily updates are indeed forcing me to draw at times I normally wouldn't. However what I've been producing isn't exactly post worthy. Tomorrow will be better, I promise.

In any case, first picture is a quick random referenceless body, second is a referenced 20 minute picture.

Comments and critiques welcome. Tomorrow WILL be better.

Edit: ... And I submitted without attaching the pictures. Wait just a second.

Edit2: Okay, they're there.

Last edited by Kasumi; September 21st, 2008 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I couldn't let this not be updated for a day.

I drew a lot today, but it was all in my sketchbook and the pictures I took were much blurrier than usual, so today's update is some older stuff I never got around to putting up. Hopefully I can take less blurry pictures and you can see that stuff tomorrow.

First picture is painting I tried to duplicate while eating at a restaurant. It's from a while ago.

The last two are quick things I did from life in the mall several days ago. They're nothing special.

I lost my DS stylus at Panera, so there will be no more digital things until I buy another stylus or find a substitute that I can trust to not scratch my touch screen.

Also, I added some process pics to the post about the brain bug which are more worth checking out than the mall drawings here. (though the painting duplicate isn't so bad...)

Comments/critiques on anything in these 13 posts is certainly welcome.

Last edited by Kasumi; September 21st, 2008 at 11:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really need to start putting things up early in the day, if I want to get any responses. Today, some unreferenced pictures. It's been a while since I've had so much fun drawing. Just quick little things. I usually draw my legs really short unreferenced. Any other critique is welcome. (I probably need a lot). Yeah, I'll draw more hands/faces. I'm clearly quite uncomfortable with them.

In any case, the pictures:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All right, here's a WIP since I don't have time to finish it currently. Referenced. Comments are cool. Here's to post 15 of this sketchbook. It looks like I can actually manage daily updates. They won't all be winners, but meh.

Edit: Well damn, I missed a day. No update for 9/24 because I took a nap and didn't wake up in time to do this. Missed it by just a few minutes...

Last edited by Kasumi; September 25th, 2008 at 12:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More progress to this. I think I'm giving up. It's getting worse and she's faint as hell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some referenced pencil stuff today. I'm playing too much Tetris The Grandmaster 3... it's cutting into my drawing time. Comments/Critique welcome. I'll start to get discouraged after 20 or so posts with no replies. (Though I realize I need to start updating at different times when more people are around)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing much today. I went to rock climbing gym to watch my brother compete, and got a few quick sketches there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I sure as hell am liking this one better than the last attempt. I usually don't use construction lines. I think I'm going to start using them more often because A: They work, and B: I should.

So here's another referenced WIP type thing. Let's hope I actually finish this one. Nintendo DS Colors! as per the usual. I actually DO make pencil stuff too, but my pictures rarely come out right... anyway, comment or critique at your leisure. Or don't actually. I might have some record for most updates without a reply.

Edit: Oh yeah, the hands aren't actually in this picture. Not trying to hide them or anything. They're blocked by a bed of sand. As for the face... I'm working on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I figured I'd update earlier in the day, to see if I have better luck with replies. This is the updated image from yesterday. I removed most of the guidelines, and worked a lot on her arm. (I hope it shows) I plan to make her "pop" more from the background eventually. Also, I'm going to make her forearm's colors more even. Right now the elbow side is really dark, and the wrist side is really light. I'm probably going to resume working on this immediately after this post, so maybe tomorrow if I keep working, I'll have a different picture (maybe pictures) to show.

edit: Oh yeah. I've still not worked on the face... I'll get on that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At this point, this painting would have been better for the studies/works in progress center. I actually never intended to work on it for this long. Anyway, here are the latest updates. The first basically shows the updates I did to the entire body.I fixed her breasts, and repainted the butt. The second shows the face which I'm working on now. I realize now her leg is too short. I'm also going to try and fix the shading on her butt.

Any comments/critiques are cool. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm getting my update out of the way today, since I'll be busy tomorrow. I'm calling this picture "done" now, even though I didn't end up fixing the leg. More process, plus a "bonus" bikini version that I made so I could send the picture to some relatives. (The bikini is clearly hastily done. Luckily it looks about the same as the rest of picture when printed by my crappy printer) I don't know why, but I've got a hang up about showing my family my nude drawings. I'll show friends, strangers, whoever else. But not my family. I don't think my parents know I do nude drawings.

In case there's confusion, the finished version is colors_slot99.jpg.

Comments or critique certainly welcome, but I'll continue to update without it.

Edit: Regarding that statement, if I get through an entire page (30 posts, I think) and it's still just me, I may stop updating. Because I could use the time it takes to update to draw, if no one's commenting.

Even though I'm calling this picture "done", I might still work on it, so if you've got something you think I should fix, please say so.

Edit2: ... So I feel terrible not updating after my first comment, but I'm not going to update for the sake of updating. Sorry agelaos. No October 2nd update. 2 days missed so far.

Last edited by Kasumi; October 2nd, 2008 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, I see you dont get many comments around here and this can be very discouraging, So decided I would give you some c&c, Your dedication is strong and that is good at this point, and if you keep doing this, doing it everyday, drawing the whole day 8 hours or more, you are going to see dramatic improvements.

You've probably heard this before, but try to find some Andrew Loomis books, or Bridgeman, these books are free and can be found easily on the net. Try to go through these books, read everything, and take your time to copy the drawings in there. Make sure you spend as long as it takes, to get these drawings down perfectly. Dont rush through the book, you wanna spend as long as it takes until you can copy those drawings precisely and learn exactly what it says.

Learn things like, using angles
    (holding the pencil at the angle of a line or edge you see in a drawing, or photo, or life and putting it down at that angle on your paper) Learn proportions, and all those common basics you will find in the books. These are basics, but they are the most important things needed to be studied, more important than anything else you will study, because without the basics its hard to move on.

Now its fine you are playing with colors, but I would say, try to focus on drawing alot right now. Try to do alot of gestures. Currently I am doing this method where I will find a youtube video like basketball, Rhythmics, or boxing and pause a frame and draw the figures. Some youtube videos are really bad quality but this is good. In gestures you dont want detail. Focus on getting these down in a minute. Your gestures right now look like they have too much detail.

Dont focus on getting lines down so perfectly, thats not gestures. Go quick, be loose, you gotta swing around your hand like crazy. start with the head( small circle anything), find the spine real quick, get the ribcage get the arms and get the legs. You gotta beat your brain when it starts slowing down and trying to be precise, just dont do it. In gesture you are trying to capture the moment, the feel, the POSE. I say do them a minute or two each, then try some 30 second poses. Do like an hours worth each day. Time yourself and you will get faster. Also try to draw these small. You want to do alot of them, and when you draw so huge you are wasting the paper. If you are using too much time, try not to lift your hand while doing them, it helps sometimes.

Do alot of life drawing, I know its hard to go out sometimes, but try to do it whenever you can, if you got family draw them. Hell draw yourself in the mirror. Get naked and draw yourself, you dont have to post those haha.

Everytime you post, tell yourself, the next set is gonna be better, and do it. Tell yourself you are gonna post your ass off until you get so damn good comments will be pourin in here like hotcakes. Keep it up Kasumi you'll be rockin before you know it!

Last edited by agelaos; October 1st, 2008 at 06:57 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *insert all my excuses about why I didn't update yesterday, blah blah don't forgive me.*

Agelaos: Thanks a bunch. Not only for being my first comment, but also for being a detailed and constructive comment. I've gone through Loomis before, but never quite thoroughly enough. I've never really thought about doing gestures from still video frames, so I'll be doing a lot of that.

To you or others: Should I focus entirely on getting through some Loomis books, then go to gestures, or should I do more gestures now? Try and split my time evenly between them?

Today I have only two new things to post.

*insert all my excuses for why I don't draw enough in general/didn't draw enough today, wah wah don't forgive me*

The first is a very blurry picture of some naked mannequins from the GAP. The second is a much less blurry (I've started to draw darker when I KNOW that something will be posted here) copy from Loomis. It's all kinds of wrong right now. The right arm is very thin and there's a heavy lean going on. It only means I'll have to make a better one. Sadly that's all for today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ya I think you should do gesture, loomis/bridgeman studies with some life drawing, all within the same day. Keep working on those loomis studies, until you get it right. Spend as long as you have to on each drawing. Use the angles of your pencil to figure out all the angles in the drawing. keep doing it until it looks perfect. Do a page where you just do 18 of the same drawing over and over. Like the proportion drawing you've done, do that 18 times, on some pages, front an back.

I think you are copying the picture from head to toe without any guidelines or structure. If you do that, you don't know where your drawing will end up. Dont start with the head and work your way down, its really hard that way.

Try to see the whole figure and put down shapes to block it in on your paper. So maybe make a line down your paper somewhere, which will represent the whole figure, and start blocking in shapes, maybe a square for the head, maybe a circle, a square for the mid section and so on, just quick shapes, nothing fancy. Do these somewhat lightly. The point is these basic shapes you are plotting will help in determining the precise figure much easier. When you go to do the precise drawing your light lines will have disappeared and you will have something to work on top of instead of just working from one line to the next.

Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    agelaos: Thanks for sticking with me for another post.

Another day I did not draw enough. Here are gestures from the tiny gesture sketchbook. First two pictures are from a fifteen-seconds-each set. Last two are from a thirty-seconds-each set. I did more than I'm posting, but still not enough to feel satisfied.

Loomis proportion times 18 is coming in the next update, or I'll be ashamed. (Possibly some stuff from my anatomy book times 18 too, since it seems like a good way to remember stuff)

Trying to post here daily really hammers home that I don't draw enough. Hopefully soon the drawings will make me think of updating, instead of the thought of not having an update making me draw. (I reworded that sentence about 80 times. I hope it's understood)

Plan moving into tomorrow: After making this post I'm going to do some from imagination stuff for a half hour to an hour, because I haven't done a lot of it lately. This may or may not be posted tomorrow. Following this, I'll go to bed. I wake up 8 hours later and try to draw until noonish to hopefully have something to put up before 2 PM EST. I am waiting until the last minute to draw and this HAS to stop.

Edit: Weird. So my connection cut out as I was posting this. The post was made, but part of the forum seems to have not updated. I looked for it in the sketchbook section, and it still says the last post is by agelaos. Quirky.

Last edited by Kasumi; October 4th, 2008 at 11:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ya those are looking better, A few things that might help you with those gestures is looking at the shape that the figure is making. Try not to see it as a figure, but as a shape, and quickly get that down in a line or two. Also 15 seconds is a little quick for the beginning. If you are going to do 15 seconds, don't worry about any of the outer skin, just FOCUS on getting the SHAPE down CORRECTLY. Like if you see a running figure, you might see an S, some kind of shape, get that down first. Dont worry about making a mess with your pencil. Just scribble. SCRIBBLE intensely, dont worry about all the lines. I think when I see your gestures, your thinking too precise, and in the end it works against you. I wanna see lines everywhere, showing you mold that shape into a figure. You can save the precise lines for longer studies. For the gestures just try to go all out.

Also try filling up those pages more. There's a few blank spots where you could place a few more figures especially in the first and third pics you posted. You wanna do as many of these as you can, they will help you understand form better.

Setup a schedule for the time you have available, maybe 1 hour of gestures 1 minute each. 1 hour of loomis studies. 1 hour of life drawing. 1 hour of imagination drawings. Something like that and its only 4 hours. You could also change up the schedule anytime. Just work with the time you have. Doing them everyday. You'll get better and better.

gogo no time to be lazy! keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I'm a little proud of myself. I actually did get up early. And I actually did draw. But I was CRAZY to think I'd get 18 loomis copies done before 2 PM. First up are some imagination drawings I did last night as I said I would. I feel they're worth putting up. Following that are the seven loomis copies I did today. (I'm working on the ninth. I count that one I did yesterday as the first.) I think tonight I'm gonna chill, probably do a few gestures to cool down from Loomis copying.

agelaos: It'll probably be a long while before I start using more of the page for gestures. I absolutely detest having separate drawings overlap each other. I shouldn't care because they're gestures, but I just do. It's a complex.

As far as schedules go, I'm definitely going to set something up early in the morning. It takes pressure off to have something to put up here done before it gets really last minute. As usual, thanks for sticking with me. More copies of the Loomis proportion drawing will come tomorrow. If I'm super dedicated, the last ten will come.

Edit: Actually don't expect too much tomorrow. I have some things I need to take care of that may or may not last me the day.

Edit2: two days, no update. I might make it three. I'm still going to draw, but I won't be able to update.

Last edited by Kasumi; October 7th, 2008 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man get this thing going again

Members who have read this thread: 2