Digital Painting: Process - Miss Private H
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Digital Painting: Process - Miss Private H

Hello!

I drew this one for Neondevil's mentoring thread and I've decided to challenge myself and color this one in Photoshop, but first I wonder if you fell something is wrong with her, maybe anatomic issue or else?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Have a nice day!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! this is the second update, I've drew the guide-lines and now began coloring in Photoshop - puting up some rough colors

Last edited by Xinga; June 24th, 2008 at 07:04 AM.
    Have a nice day!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd step back a little to correct some issues with the original drawing. I'd highly recommend this because the wole pose just doesn't work as it is, and no detailwork can help this drawing if the base won't be (almost totally) redrawn.
    About the pose: What is she doing? As I can see she's kneeing and picking up a dagger from the ground... while holding that riffle... behind her neck...
    That doesn't make too much sense for me (and look really unnatural). Especially as she doesn't need to hold that riffle at all as it supposed to be hanging on her shoulder. About the kneeing part: Nobody tries to pick up anything from the ground that way. Just try to pick up something in this pose - very inconvenient, isn't it? When standing on one knee, the picker arm should be the one on the side of the kneeing leg - basically because that shoulder is in lower position.
    SO first of all you should switch her legs.
    Now we arriwed to the other problematic part. Her left thigh is too thin - especially in comparison with the left knee which is HUGE.
    Her right lower leg looks also very odd. It looks like it was longer than her left one, which is impossible (perspectivewise) as we see the left from its side. And her right knee is also misplaced. It could be there of course but only if we would watch this girl from above. (or if the ground isnt flat)
    Her left arm is too long, and her left hand is not really in "picking position" - we should see its back, not its side.
    Her torso should be more bent (and forshortened). Her right arm is also off. And the cloth on it is much longer than on her left.

I think there are so many issues with this piece, that it would be a good idea to start it all over instead of trying to correct. You have surely learn many things about this pose while creating this skech, so throw it away and use what you have learned in a new one. I also encourage you to take photos and use them as reference. This is a very good way to see how the pose you want to draw looks in real life (and also a good way to learn).

"Try again, fail again,
    fail better!"
    Samuel Beckett
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Novbert: Thank you for your crits! really useful!

Ok, some things might have been missunderstood - the main idea was her picking up a spare part on the ground for her rifle which is on her back - Therefore, she reaches for the rifle as she bends down to pick it up, in order to assemble her weapon (Because in war, you have to be quick), and then fire in a kneeling position.

Yeah, about her right arm: the cloth is only rolled up on her left (She is supposed to beed where her flesh exposes)

Finally, this was my ref.

thanks again!

Have a nice day!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Picture redrawn! I noticed that my other picture had alot of anatomic issues så i decided to keep the concept and start work on another image, This one is still being painted:

This is where I stand right now

Have a nice day!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.