The Ropes

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Ropes

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Ropes

Simply put, I'm extraordinarily new to this site. I guess I'm looking for some sort of push in the right artistic direction, since I was just recommended to come here for the asking the same thing.

To the point. I am an amateur artist to the enth degree, but I am trying to get a taste of professionalism any way I can. Perhaps prematurely. However, the only viable option for someone at my skill level is to try and sell some commissions to con-goers seeking fan art of their favorite established characters. The problem is that I can't seem to unearth any work or even any interest on the forums at the sites that normally care about these kinds of things.

So, I suppose I am looking for a critique for my work as well as some advice on what I should try in order to actually do something with my artwork. I am a first year Illustration student and my (incomplete) portfolio is at www.definelive.blogspot.com.

Oh and one more thing. Although I'm unsure that I should be posting here at such a developmental level of my career, I'd like to extend a hearty hello to everyone here.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try starting a sketchbook thread or posting some of your work on the "Critique Center" board. Hopefully you'll get more answers that way.

By "do something" with your art work, do you mean improve your skill level? Or are you looking for ways make money off of it?

Either way, I think you came to the right place. There are a lot of amazing professionals on this site that are very helpful and tell you how it is. The trick is getting your posts in their radar, haha.

Sorry I can't help more, I'm an amateur too! But hello back!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Community Activities subforum or the Daily Sketch Group are good ways to pretend at being a professional. By that I mean you are given a brief of what a hypothetical client wants to see and then must produce a drawing to match that brief within a set period of time. (Deadlines are a big deal for illustrators.) You can then get feedback on what you produced so you can see how well you are performing and find out what else you need to practice on.

Daily sketch group is good if you want to draw about an hour a day and have a 24 hour deadline.

The other activities mostly have one week deadlines and the topics are usually a little less wacky. It looks to me like Character of the Week would be your favorite.

All those weekly activities (not daily sketch group) are currently united in the DEEP Undersea Utopia Challenge that ends on June 30. After that they resume their usual patterns. I would recommend reading the sticky rules and FAQs for any activity you want to jump into. That will save you from asking questions about things that have already been explained to others a million times.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, I think I'll hang around those boards you mentioned. Here's to seeing you around the forums.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.