Sketchbook: Abernethy's sketchbook and life journey
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Abernethy's sketchbook and life journey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Abernethy's sketchbook and life journey

hello everyone. im hugely new here and at a crossroads in my life. i felt it would be important to start to post some of my work here as i try to grow into the artist i believe i can be. i am in love with comic art and yoji shinkawa/ ashley wood work, and partially inspired by all these. mostly my creativity comes from life experience; all its darkness, its light. dreams and real life. ive been trying real hard to get myself abroad to do some voluntary work and im getting my health in check. i only draw when i feel good and well, and due to numerous challenges in my life in the last year there was a huge gap where i neglected my passion for creating. now i feel my spirit is healing and i am looking back at what i did, looking down at what im doing and looking forward to compiling a sketchbook and dreaming one day ill show it to someone who cares, somehow, some day somewhere. i will be getting a scanner soon but ill put up some photos in the next 48 hours. i dont know how active this forum/ site is or who, if anyone will care. but i need to record something like this personally. if people can share in it and critic me and comment on my work, i would feel amazing about that. i have been a bit of a loner for a while now. i just dont fit in, i dont drink or smoke or do drugs so all my friends just kinda left me behind. having an unconventional diet and following eastern philosophies to a large degree also left me unpopular. im not awkward if you were to talk to me, and i can let anyone in. i do not wish to overexplain myself since i will be even less likely understood. i am simple. i am complicated. i dont feel like drawing every day. but when i do i feel truly alive and free to dream again. i wish to share in my passion with all of you, if you would have me. some of my old work is poor, but i am growing steadily. sometimes i slip, then i make sure i catch up. expect a post with pictures in the next day.

-Gaz~

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what i was trying to say has just hit me: im needing some slight inspiration, motivation and encouragement. keeping all my work and ideas in my head, it feels like it might explode! even if my art is ripped apart, at least it becomes more real as i share it. my family dont take an interest after i dropped out of art college over various twisted tutors

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these are all things i did late 2007, taken with a camera on paper that sometimes warped rather badly, so they look even less good. this was before the big gap where i just stopped drawing, i only started again this week and im reeling off very different and more confident stuff, im studying anatomy cos some of it is so very wrong. please pass comment

basically its a few vague samples of some comics i made and some things i drew for fun.
    now im moving toward my own style but trying to add realism. im really leaving behind the whole comic book thing.

Attached Images Attached Images          

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my first and last use of gouache paints [theyre pretty damn good but i have no drawing table or money to afford them again]

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i try to copy as liiiittle as possible, only for muscle reference to get it into my thick skull. none of these used reference and its painfully obvious on pyramid heads anatomy and helmet thing. ive really stepped up my study of anatomy and hope to post my really recent work by tonight.

for now, ill zip it

-Gaz~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as a side note, none of this is concept art other than the poses and environments i guess. i have a lot of quarter finished sketches that i did ages ago that im trying to flesh out in real life. THESE are what i will be posting as my new work. i wanted to have the bookend of my old work though so people know where i was, where i am, and then can better advise me where i go. todays been a bad day so i wont be drawing till near bedtime. ill get the camera out then and post once more. i want some people to keep up to date with this post, in fact that would instill in me a great sense of engagement and fulfillment. i want my art to grow taller, massively taller and i have the drive for it. this forum then, will be the stick that helps the plant reach for the sky- unbent and unbroken.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Garry,

Cool Pics! Brought me back to the time when I saved my lunch money to
    buy the latest Uncanny X-men issue.
    I like your drawing of Colossus the best. Most underated X-Man ever.
    Did you know he's a painter? (obviously, to know this trivia,I am a ccomicbook geek)
    Hang in there man. I know where you're coming from.( about not being able to afford art materials and stuff).
    Don't let circumstances beyond your control put out the flame that's
    in your heart. That flame tells you to draw and draw and draw.
    Push yourself to learn something everytime you put that pencil to paper.
    It will be a slow, frustrating process, but you will get there with enough
    dedication.
    See you around man!

I SWEAR ON THE GRAVES OF ALL THE TALENTED FILIPINO ARTISTS WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE ME, THE FILIPINO ART LEGACY WILL CONTINUE!

MY DAY JOB http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=136204

MY ANGRY SKETCHBOOKhttp://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...129015&page=13

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Garry!
    an updates about due man! how are you?
    don't let life get you down man, pick up that pencil and work for your dream!

I SWEAR ON THE GRAVES OF ALL THE TALENTED FILIPINO ARTISTS WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE ME, THE FILIPINO ART LEGACY WILL CONTINUE!

MY DAY JOB http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=136204

MY ANGRY SKETCHBOOKhttp://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...129015&page=13

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.