Sketchbook: Shoot Into The Stratosphere!

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Shoot Into The Stratosphere!

Hey all, this is my new sketchbook thread!
    Quick intro: I'm 20. I'm currently enrolled in the Technical/Scientific Illustration course at Sheridan College in Oakville, ON. I'll be graduating in 2011. I enjoy drawing and eating pancakes. Someday I hope to combine the two, either by drawing pancakes or eating my drawings.

I like critiques a lot and they're always appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Here's some fairly recent stuff I've done, around May-ish.
    Acrylic on canvas.

Ink.

Watercolour.

I have a tremendous crush on Daniel Day Lewis. :3

Trying to figure out how the hell to place a character in an environment..

Regular updates to come! MWA MWA!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ryn; August 16th, 2009 at 06:08 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Little update somethin somethin.

WIP digipaint Ive been chipping away at couple nights. It was largely an experiment in contrast: I rarely hit my darks and lights hard/soon enough and my paintings can get pretty washed out as a result. Im still picking at the background (going to play with methods for creating depth, maybe make it less abstract) and finish the legs.

Doodles. Ashley Wood inspired!

Core shadow study I bothered to polish up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Waaaa, I can't crit it at all. It's fantastic - have stars!

*runs off*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here, have some free stars on the house.

Seriously, your sketchbook is amazing. I'm so subscribing to it now. Post more plz.
    Also, I love that There Will Be Blood doodle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yayyyyyyyy for new sketchbook and updates!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    subscribed. Check the link in my sig - I gots a new sketcher too.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome back luv. keep up the good work.

Now I'm re-subscribing since you went and changed everything.

GUILD OF CALAMITOUS INTENT
    - BohemianChaos - | - Jska -
    Check out our sexy sketchbooks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a bundle for stopping in/giving support/being generally awesome, guys!

Some stuff:

Post-work sketch:

Sketch. (Wow I really need a new scanner D: )

Painting I did. Acrylic on Canvas.

Digipaint I've been noodling away at. WIP

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey buddy, i would work on giving your profiles of heads more.. to give them more pop. they seems to be flatter thus awkward compared to the rest of the figure in some pictures... also looks like your hands are a little too big in some.. i dunno maybe its intentional in that case cool. idunno just nitpick crits for now.. feels like forever since i critiqued someone

really like the third and forth sketchs of the first update would like to see these digi paintings when they are fully explored. keep it up!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to arghmisfit For This Useful Post:

Ryn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ryn -

Great stuff. I'm really liking the new sketchbook, and I am in the same place - trying to get my head back in the game, putting myself back on a routine, and finishing pieces instead of just sketching and studying.

That said, you're far ahead of me with the mad skillz. Proof of the value of hard work!

In the latest post, I love what you did with the sketch of the dancing/posing woman from earlier - the acrylic painting is definitely more powerful, albeit a bit scary - which I like. My only crit there is that, even though she's fairly distorted, her head seems a little too far away or perhaps her neck is shifted too far towards her left shoulder. Other than that, it's really nice, and impressively blended for acrylic.

Your brushwork has some nice elements to it - how long have you been painting? Ever do oils?

What I really love is this one:

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/9331/44078027fk0.jpg

Really great job on perspective, wardrobe, and I adore the hair and expression. What a lovely character!!

Your core shadow study is excellent as well.

It would be cool if you could also include some hint as to the time you put into each piece for critique purposes - I like to know if someone has a piece that looks rougher than usual if it's because they just whipped it out in less time than usual.

Your post-work sketch has a nice feel to it, but has some balance issues it seems like. love the costume, the hair is a little ... broom like (sorry, it's the best thing I could think of), and she seems to lean a bit to one side. But very interesting character, all the same. Love the shoes.

Great stuff - keep posting!

maldrin

d a v i d p i n e

ONLY CONNECT.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to maldrin For This Useful Post:

Ryn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG you are of the same age as me and your art is awesome!
    Love your works. Hope to see more!!

Take care

18. The Following User Says Thank You to shamandalie For This Useful Post:

Ryn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

Joel - Definitely good call on the profiles being flat, and that's actually come up before. I think my problem is that I tend to go to a 'formula for how to do a profile-shape' and don't consider the actual form. I'll keep the hands thing in mind too. I used to make them too small, then Stan told me one class that it's always better to make hands too big rather than too small. Guess I took it to heart?
    Anywho thanks for the feedback mate, very appreciated! Too bad you can't update your sb, I'd love to return the favour. Hope you're doing well.

Maldrin - Wow, awesome feedback! Thanks a lot!
    Lady painting.. I -totally- see what you mean about the neck and I absolutely agree that it looks off. I can't even believe I didn't notice that before! I'm going to touch it up on the actual painting. I super appreciate the comment on blending, it gave me a ton of trouble and I had to try lots of new stuff to get it to work. I have done oils before but have lately been doing acrylics since it's what I was taught in school. I've been painting for probably a year and a half at this point.
    I will include time estimates on uploads of finished stuff from now on, good idea.
    Good call on balance issue on the sketch too! I have had that problem for years so thanks for reminding me that I need to practice that to fix it once and for all.
    Again thanks for the GREAT feedback! I wish I could return the favour, but you don't have a sketchbook, do you? Looked through your website but there isn't much utility there for me to leave feedback.

shamandalie - Thank you very much!

Landscape! Another instance of trying to get colours right, and to hit the correct values quickly. Took about an hour.

I saw this lady at the bus stop. She was so funny I had to draw her. :3

The WIP I posted before is just nooot working out. Too many issues cropping up as a result of terrible/no planning, no thought to composition during the sketch, etc. To finish it would be a lot of backtracking so I'm going to let it die. Came to this conclusion after rendering the face, so I may as well post what I did. :3

Last edited by Ryn; April 4th, 2009 at 02:50 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this recent landscape is great, really like the divit of the path on the hill. nice colors too..

i have a new sketchbook thread in my sig, update semi-reguarly now.. return the favor. i need crits. im trying to pinpoint my major weaknesses

22. The Following User Says Thank You to arghmisfit For This Useful Post:

Ryn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ryn, glad to see you back!
    That last landscape looks great, as well as the There will be blood one and the one maldrin pointed out.

The only crit I can scrounge up is that some times you nail it, but a lot of the time you have inconsistent proportions. Just here and there there might be a long neck or some thick legs that don't quite seem to match up with the rest of the body.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Cup of Joe For This Useful Post:

Ryn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo and yay.
    Did a quickie PO on your nice environment to show you some options and ideasssss; hope you don't mind: http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...lpadjx5aj0.jpg

I think I recognized some of the brushes as ones I uploaded awhile back? They aren't anything special, most were just odd experimentations. You might enjoy using Mr. Jaime Jones's brushes - I use them pretty much 90% of the time these days. He may have a newer version in his sketchbook here, otherwise check out page two of this thread: http://www.redbeardead.com/c9/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1654

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Idiot Apathy For This Useful Post:

Ryn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You will be both epic and victorious.

I'm looking forward to it.

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

28. The Following User Says Thank You to IanE For This Useful Post:

Ryn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad my feedback was helpful - there's a lot of good stuff going on in here. On the balance thing, that's something I struggle with too. I try to keep it in mind, but it really has to be part of the planning/sketching phase. I usually don't notice it till the end. That's part of the benefit of stepping back from a piece and looking at it, even if it's a sketch. Throwing down a faint vertical where you think the center of gravity should be for the person is good too.

You don't struggle with it too much though, because most of your characters have good balance. The lady from the bus stop is awesome - so funny, such a good capture of character, and she's got good balance. You've also got really good lights and darks in that one. My only crit would be that the shadowed areas of her arms are a little light. But maybe I'm wrong - i mean, she's walking on a white floor, so it could be all that reflected light. I'm just comparing the shadowing on her face, which is perfect, to that on her arms, which seems a little faint.

That said, I think it kinda works because her figure, posture, and expression remain the focus - her arms shouldn't draw much attention, and they don't. Darker, they might.

The landscape looks good - colors are very close. Was this from life or from your head? Landscapes are not my area of expertise, but I know enough to be impressed that you pulled that together in an hour. I think there could be a touch more contrast, perhaps just a few more lights - maybe not even more darks. The thing I look for in a landscape is a sense of time of day, and the shadows look like either morning or evening (really, I think evening), but the colors are more mid-day. In morning and evening, the colors are muted and (i believe) tend towards blue or red. Ron Lemen and Jason Manley gave a lecture about that many moons ago at the Conceptart workshop in Austin, and I took copious notes, but never applied them because I don't do landscapes. yet.

edit - I just saw Idiot Apathy's paintover, which is kinda in line with what I was thinking. It's more dramatic than I had in mind, but the tilt towards the reddish end of the spectrum is kinda what I meant by evening. Great studd, IA!!

The clouds, by the way, are spec.tac.ular!

Thanks for trying to repay the feedback - but as you said I don't have a sketchbook on here currently. I had one a couple years ago, but then life got in the way of art. I LET life get in the way of art. I lost a lot of my local art contacts and without good artist friends, my corporate goon job took over a lot of my mind. I'm sick of not doing art though, so I'm back here where there are tons of friendly artists to interact with and make friends with, even if they're far far away.

I'll start a sketchbook soon, and when I do, I'll let you know.

maldrin

d a v i d p i n e

ONLY CONNECT.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to maldrin For This Useful Post:

Ryn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got an feeling of vague positivity and change about nearly everything, and it's wonderful!

Thanks again for the feedback guys!

Joel - Thanks! Absolutely, subscribed to the new SB and crits coming at'cha!

Cup of Joe
    - Oh hey! It's been forever! I see you're still going super strong on the work which is awesome (crit time!) I absolutely agree about the inconsistency on proportions. I think my results are currently relying too little on a strong foundation of studies and too much on 'if I'm feelin' it that day or not'. Surely something I need to work on. Duly noted and totally correct, thank you so much.

Idiot Apathy - You are suuuuch a winner. Of -course- I don't mind the paintover! I can't thank you enough for taking time out of your day to do one for me. Landscapes are a huge weakness of mine and that paintover has really helped me to piece together a few things that I'll be trying to expand upon.
    And yep, I was using some of your brushes. This has really been the first time since I've used anything but "round hard edge with pressure sensitivity" so it was pretty fun to play around with different settings. I will most definitely check out Jaime Jones's brushes, thanks a bundle for the link and being awesome in general!

IanE - Haha, thank you! I read this comment at like 5am when I was getting ready to go to my (boo, non-art!) job and it totally made my morning. Cheers. :3

Maldrin - Ah yes, I need to do the vertical test a lot more often. Gesture focusing wouldn't hurt either.
    Bus lady, arms are definitely off. Somehow did not notice that. I guess I definitely need to practice the art of 'taking a step back' more often.
    Landscape was photo ref, mostly trying to nail colours by sight.. Very right that landscapes should reflect time of day, and by extension, the mood. Once I get down the basics of landscapery (which I am so shaky at, haven't really done them before), I'm going to try and focus really heavily on mood and unifying the picture as a whole, as opposed to some seemingly randomly arranged things (ie, "oh there's a tree here, and a tree here, and a hill here" instead of "Oh hey a landscape").
    Please do let me know when your sketchbook is up and running! Your feedback has really got me considering things and thinking like crazy when I sit down to draw, to not repay that would be karmically wrong! Thanks and cheers!

Did some posemaniacs before work. 30 seconds mostly.

Sketch I did at the bus stop/on the bus.

Then I got home and decided I wanted to work on skin tones.. I spent a bunch of time looking at pictures closely, trying to figure out how light effects the skin specifically. It was really confusing and I felt kind of overwhelmed at times, trying to wrap my head around all the variables. However things are slowly starting to become clear to me, and I'll definitely be taking it much much further. All a part of the super slow, tedious, but immensely rewarding process of learning.

Blindly feeling around in the dark. Definitely not saturated enough, not enough temperature variations at all.

Skin and colour study. Anatomy very blobby and gooshy, gotta work on that.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that rabbit/owl/weirdo monster is fuckin funny haha!

keep it up, there is some really interesting drawings here!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Vorace For This Useful Post:

Ryn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vorace - Thanks!

From ref, trying to economy my lines.

Sketching is a lot more fun than playing rockband.

Widdle speedie

Silly doodle, wasn't feeling it but was drawing out of habit, hehe

Nother doodly habit sketch.. Thinking about sticking her in a painting.

Concept for the COW. Lots of stuff to work on... thanks greensock

Incredibly rough WIP for the COW

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaand here's the finished CoW entry. I feel super good about actually finishing an illustration for once.

I have a bunch of stuff in the sketchbook/moleskine but I am waaaay too tired to scan them right now.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hurray for updates!

Great COW piece. I love how the hunter focuses on destroying the one thing that makes a unicorn a unicorn. Something about where the unicorn's head meets the transparent sac of the hunter makes it look a little flat, though, like the horn is being bent off center...

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

39. The Following User Says Thank You to IanE For This Useful Post:

Ryn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the support and tips Ryn, really helpful and I couldn't disagree with any of your points, I'll certainly be taking them on board

I love your Cow peice, really impressive jump from your sketch to the final - Would love to see some more in-between steps if you have them to chew over

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Ryn!

I've been meaning to drop by and post again but almost every time I'm reading here, it's between one thing and another with not a lot of time to post.

Your updates back on the 25th are quite nice. The economy of your lines image is a good one (although I'm distracted by the amusing text) That is a very good thing to focus on, and you did it to pretty good effect. It actually reminded me a bit of a post on one of my favorite blogs, "Illustration Art" by David Apatoff. He had a post on the line economy and compared works with lots of fine detailed to works with dramatic blacks and much better use of value and economy of line. Nothing here you don't already know but you might find it interesting.

http://illustrationart.blogspot.com/...n-harmony.html

Your drawing of someone playing Rock Band and the initial concept for your Unicorn Hunter creature are my two favorite things from that post though. The Rock Band drawing is a really nice composition actually - good job putting that together - you have a good eye. Not only is it a good drawing (accurate, good anatomy, perspective, etc), it also has (intentionally or not) two very good interplays - dark/light and round/square. I like the contrast between the black drums and the white wall, and the shapes of the drums against the squares of the door or window that is in the background. Good stuff in both cases. I also like seeing your constructive lines around one of the drums because it shows you are able to do the work necessary to get it right, but yet still create a lively picture, not just something accurate but dead. That's the hard part I encounter, especially when finishing something up - is to make it look good but keep the life in it that it had at the sketch stage.

Your COW concept is just awesome - the creature by itself is awesome - I love the colors and the details and just the idea of it.

I wasn't sure about your rough WIP, but the final convinced me - it turned out really good. Excellent execution, great idea, great movement and colors in the piece. Good use of details in some areas and not others - that economy you were talking about.

Most importantly, I wholeheartedly agree with your comment about finishing an illustration for once. This is just a sketchbook, but it is good to see you take something all the way to the end. That's the hardest part - pushing an idea to the end, but the more you finish, the more you will get good at finishing. There's stuff that goes on mentally and technically at the end of a piece that practicing the START of pieces will never help you improve.

My only crit on the COW would be in line with what Ian E said, and I was wondering if it might need a little more shadow at the point where the creature meets the top of the Unicorn's head (above the eyes) to show that it rolls under a bit. Not sure, I've never had to try to render a Unicorn's head through the transparent belly of a horned flying jellyfish-like creature that eats horns. So, I can't tell ya what it needs, I can just be impressed.

Good stuff. Keep up the good work!

Maldrin

Last edited by maldrin; August 8th, 2008 at 01:21 PM.
    d a v i d p i n e

ONLY CONNECT.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 428 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/6521/picture2fv9.jpg

This little abomination is so cute, i want one of my own.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff going so far. Like how you are handling your pencils well. Was great seeing your previous sketchbook and at the same time see you progress a lot. Keep looking forward for more!

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have so many great different styles!
    My favourite is http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7997/35610831gp4.jpg
    it looks so fairy-tallish.
    Sometimes your proportions are a little bit off, you tend to draw the head a little bit too small for the rest of the body.
    for example the pic I like the best, I love the way you draw feet and legs, but her hand is way too big for such a small head and legs.
    I m definitely watching this sketchbook
    Keep it coming!

edit: you are also reallly pretty!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ryn,
    The 'lady at the bus stop' and http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7997/35610831gp4.jpg are quite good! Nice pencil work on alot of the other stuff too.

here's a link to Becca's sketchbook that you requested yesterday

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...51#post1827151

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, just throwing up a digipaint, will reply and have an actual update in the next day or so.
    Just a little somethin' somethin' I've been doing for fun. It's helped me acknowledge a lot of problems I have with digipainting but was also a blast to do. :3

Goddess of the Petstore!

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love this guy;
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/6521/picture2fv9.jpg
    and the latest

Hey, we're going to be a year older pretty soon 27thhhhhhhhhhh.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4