Sketchbook: Fridas random doodles. Harsh critique wanted. - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fridas random doodles. Harsh critique wanted.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    test test. I'm having issues posting today.
    Sorry about this, apparently it was working...Now lets see if I can add an attachement as well.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reeeally love your pencil work. I like the anatomy and the fact that your characters don't seem to suffer from the "stick-up-their-arse" syndrome that mine tend to do. And I love that you draw/paint from imagination and not only studies. AND (tjatigt värre ) I love your animal portraits.

I hope I'll get as good as you are when it comes to lineart, 'cause it's beautiful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fina bilder Frida!
    Vad var det för slags skola du gick i, om det är lugnt att jag frågar? Jag ska själv söka konstfack och en hel drös folkhögskolor till hösten.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PollyBoffin View Post
    Reeeally love your pencil work. I like the anatomy and the fact that your characters don't seem to suffer from the "stick-up-their-arse" syndrome that mine tend to do. And I love that you draw/paint from imagination and not only studies. AND (tjatigt värre ) I love your animal portraits.

I hope I'll get as good as you are when it comes to lineart, 'cause it's beautiful.
    Halloj! I didn't think about that the e-mail updates to threads that you follow is out of order so I completely missed your post. It feels a bit odd speaking to you in English when I know that you speak Swedish but it always bugs me when I can't understand the posts. Anyhow thank you very much. Getting some replyes here made me feel like posting here again since these sketches and drawings are really old by now.

I took a look at your sketchbook and I have to say that I don't understand what you mean with that "your characters got a stick up the arse syndrome." Do you mean their facial expression because that sounds painful or that they are stiff perhaps?

I think that it is important to draw both from life and from your imagination. Studies from life and using references is crucial to learn how things work and what looks right but it feels good to loosed up now and then. And I don't want to always depend on finding or creating the perfect reference.

I noticed that you have a special interest in animal pictures and I think that you draw animals very well atleast as well as I do. But I should make those kind of comments in your sketchbook instead I guess.
    Thank you very much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arnedahl View Post
    Fina bilder Frida!
    Vad var det för slags skola du gick i, om det är lugnt att jag frågar? Jag ska själv söka konstfack och en hel drös folkhögskolor till hösten.
    Tackar! Jag har inte gått i så många skolor. Jag gick estetisk bild och form i gymnasiet, sedan gick jag ett år på Österlens folkhögskola. Det var ett estetiskt basår där man gjorde lite all möjligt, lite som en fortsättning på gymnasiet. Vi hade keramik, kroki teckning två gånger i veckan, färglära, tryckteknik osv. Men den linjen är nedlagd ny. Därifrån sökte jag till Östra Grevie folkhögskola och gick där i två år. Jag gick grafisk design linjen eftersom jag ville bli illustratör. Jag kan rekommendera både skolan och den linjen. Grafisk design gav goda förutsättningar för att komma in på konstfack, nästan alla som sökte vidare kom in efter första eller andra året. Jag tyckte också att man fick bra praktiska kunskaper för att arbeta som grafisk designer eller med tryck och media. Det fanns också möjligheter att gå lite allmänna estetiska kurser som ingick i programmet som tex foto och extra kroki. Sedan blev det faktiskt aldrig av att jag sökte vidare till några högre instanser. Utan jag började jobba lite smått istället.
    Lycka till med dina ansökningar.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey really great line you have going miss, those dog portraits are awesome, really good rendering and observational skills, what i would like to see is for you to push your designs further, try different moods, and do some poses with purpose and use that to tell a story or something in particular cant wait to see more from ya!

my sketchbook! Drawing like a maniac!!

My Blog

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lionheartGFX View Post
    hey really great line you have going miss, those dog portraits are awesome, really good rendering and observational skills, what i would like to see is for you to push your designs further, try different moods, and do some poses with purpose and use that to tell a story or something in particular cant wait to see more from ya!
    Thank you I do have some more I got some more purpuose filled pictures coming up that has been a real leap forward for me. But first two self portraits drawn from the mirror.
    These are posted in roughly the size they were drawn in. I think that the most difficult thing with selfportraits are to not move your head slightly and not noticing that while you draw. So you end up with skewed features.

Here is a bunch of personal pictures. I have been busy with work and have only had time with doing simple portraits for my personal amusement.
    These are my own and my friends roleplaying characters. I'm a huge geek.

Name:  självporträtt Dec 2012.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  18.8 KBName:  självporträtt Jan 2013.jpg
Size:  33.1 KBName:  de unga ena.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  228.5 KBName:  Draksådd collage klar.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  417.7 KBName:  Firstborn.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  73.8 KBName:  Irmengard.jpg
Size:  68.7 KBName:  Ailith.jpg
Size:  200.8 KBName:  Mr E.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  67.0 KBName:  Erika porträtt färg.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  175.2 KBName:  Tjej i luva.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  121.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok here is some workstuff.
    Portraits of medieval/fantasy sailors for Kelestia publishing.

Any input questions or what not is as always most welcome.

Name:  Chippy apprentice sketch.jpg
Size:  105.4 KBName:  Chippy apprentice.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  112.2 KBName:  Deck boy sketch.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  111.9 KBName:  deck boy.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  113.1 KBName:  Korden sketch.jpg
Size:  80.0 KBName:  Fûren Korden small.jpg
Size:  271.3 KBName:  Gresala sketch.jpg
Size:  110.5 KBName:  Gresala.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  109.1 KBName:  Marden sketch.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  99.8 KBName:  Marden.jpg
Size:  109.2 KBName:  Masi sketch.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  93.4 KBName:  Masil.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  91.3 KBName:  Tara sketch.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  418.3 KBName:  Tara.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  95.4 KBName:  Narm sketch 1.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  52.3 KBName:  Narm.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  102.7 KBName:  Horl.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  138.2 KBName:  Kesel fixed barrel.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  69.7 KBName:  Kesel lighting sketch.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  78.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here is just a bunch of more or less random sketchbook pages.
    There are some live studies, drawings from photographs and some doodles from imagination. I didn't bother to clean them up sorry about that.

Name:  granny pannies.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  35.9 KBName:  skisser folk008.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  71.4 KBName:  skisser figge,pontus004.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  51.6 KBName:  skisser figge,pontus003.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  55.0 KBName:  orc skiss009.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  63.1 KBName:  skiss svärd010.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  41.6 KBName:  skiss slöja fågel011.jpg
Size:  26.7 KBName:  skiss peter006.jpg
Size:  40.4 KBName:  skiss armband005.jpg
Size:  44.5 KBName:  Shakti WIP.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  327.3 KBName:  shakti och skisser053.jpg
Size:  252.3 KBName:  marker and pencil doodles007.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  91.7 KBName:  Mermaid sketch.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  52.0 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Digging the tree monster on #69.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Digging the tree monster on #69.
    Ha ha! Thank's I'm rather fond of it myself. I'ts some sort of twig sprite that I designed for a story.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it weird that I really like your less finished sketchwork, like the braid elf? There's something very elegant about variations of finish and letting the viewer's eye complete the image... that particular one works wonderfully.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkLives View Post
    Is it weird that I really like your less finished sketchwork, like the braid elf? There's something very elegant about variations of finish and letting the viewer's eye complete the image... that particular one works wonderfully.
    No I don't think that it is weird at all. I often feel that my (and sometimes other peoples) work loose something in the process from sketch to finished piece. In my case it might be because I'm slighly better at showing form through linework rather than shading. I'm glad that you like it anyhow. I have no idea when I will find some time to finish it.

I did some more selfportraits and set up two mirrors. Unfortunately I only got one large mirror and my tiny make up mirror. I need to find something larger that I can see my whole head in. I noticed that I look a whole lot chunkier in my drawings when I'm using a softer pencil.

Anatomy studies from photographs. I think the front view ended up less flawed than the other. But I liked drawing a man in such a subtle pose.

Next we have a face I drew while watching Solomon Kane.

A drawing from an old photograph that I did for my parents in law.

And two studies of a medium sized plaster statue.
    Name:  självporträtt jan 2013.1.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  42.3 KBName:  självporträtt Jan 2013.2.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  55.6 KB
    Name:  naken man.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  54.5 KB
    Name:  liggande huvud skiss.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  48.5 KB
    Name:  peter.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  49.6 KB
    Name:  staty 1.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  38.8 KBName:  staty 2.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  51.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your pencil work is good, but I get the feeling that you've found a comfort zone with the medium. I'm seeing a lot of the same lines, the same strengths and the same weaknesses repeated in your work. I'd recommend you explore some other mediums like watercolor, pastels, charcoal, etc. Taking on a new challenge will force you to think differently and break away from habitual tendencies.

Here's some random inspiration:
    James Jean
    James Jean
    Craig Mullins
    Nathan Fowkes
    Nathan Fowkes
    John Singer Sargent

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane. View Post
    Your pencil work is good, but I get the feeling that you've found a comfort zone with the medium. I'm seeing a lot of the same lines, the same strengths and the same weaknesses repeated in your work. I'd recommend you explore some other mediums like watercolor, pastels, charcoal, etc. Taking on a new challenge will force you to think differently and break away from habitual tendencies.
    Oh definately. I'm really stuck in a rut. I can see your point about using the same lines. I decided to see if I can stay away from line work and focus on form and planes instead.
    Might I trouble you to point out some of the consistent weaknesses that you can see?

Thanks a lot of the lovely links. Now I'm going to dig through my boxes of artists materials that has been discarded for to long.
    I just moved to a new apartment so it's all a mess. But I think that I had some pastel crayons.

Nice to se you here on ConceptArt as well as DeviantArt btw and I really appretiate the advice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lets see.

Here is an odd character that is a mix of a human,deer,snake,bat and elephant. It was fun exloring facial expression in a non human looking critter.
    Name:  Stag-Bat normal.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  46.5 KBName:  Stag-Bat sad.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  45.4 KBName:  Stag-Bat angry and sad.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  46.9 KBName:  Stag-Bat angry.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  46.7 KBName:  Stag-Bat happy.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  46.5 KB

I thought that I might as well post a poster that I did for the medieval and renaissance choir that I sing in. I drew the illustration and my friend wrote the text. I really enjoy drawing in this style
    Name:  Amici Cantantes deviant version.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  151.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Frida. I finally got round to checking through your SB after reading your Lounge thread. Sorry it took me so long - slow browser and not a lot of time.

I can see a marked improvement in your skill and confidence over this last page, and I really like your style. It's clean, accurate and stylised which works well for what you're doing. The pet portraits are also stunning.

What I did notice though, and Arshes already commented on this in the Lounge, is that your girls don't look like they're suited to being warriors. The stylisation you use makes them appear too weak and feminine to hold their weapons or use them convincingly. So, maybe doing some specific studies of girls actually holding weapons would help with that. You also don't have to lose your stylisation, just make them appear more solid, grounded and capable, if that makes sense?

I'd also like to see some more form work using purely strong shadows and light to create shapes. But that's just personal preference really.

A lovely sketchbook all round. Lots of skill and imagination. Keep going with it and good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely works here, keep pushing, why dont you try for something more exotic? big contrast and dramatic lighting?!

<<<I R LUMINA R I>>>

How I eat pen everyday aka ma Sketchbook.

http://fxevo.blogspot.com/ The blog of city wanderer.
    Facebook: Duc. Truong Huyen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well done pencil drawin! Push them up!

sketchbook
    my web Looking for a work

Помогите c активностью форуму-скетчбуку mentalant.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Candra:
    I didn't write the thread to get more comments so there is certainly no need to be sorry about that. Although I am of course thrilled to get some excellent feedback.

I have been thinking a lot about what both you and Arshes Nei said about the postures and studied my work here and some of my older work. I have prided myself with thinking that I don't fall in to stereotypes on how I design the look of my characters. But your comments were an eye opener. With that being said I think that the issue has less to do with them being women rather than that I don't know how to make anyone look like a capable warrior ha ha! You might have noticed that I only got two men carrying weapons in my sketchbook.

I decided to make a greater effort in drawing postures that are more dynamic and assertive than what I usually do and make more studies of people being active.

Thank you very much for your thoughs Candra I really appreciate it.

fxEVo:
    Thank you very much. I was thinking that I should work on some thumbnails with strong composition and lighting and colour and the whole shebang. So many things to learn and so little time and just thinking doesn't help at all!

n1frit:
    Thank you very much, will do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to try out quickposes. http://www.quickposes.com/pages/gesture
    Not quite like lifedrawing but not bad.

30 seconds
    90 seconds
    And 20 warriors 2minutes each.

Some more of the random doodle that this thread is named after.

I drew a tiny little sketch about 6 months ago that I were happy with.
    Yesterday I repainted it so see if I would have done it differently now.

Attached Images Attached Images                    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your pencil work is very good. In fact some of the best I have seen. Maybe it is what you leave out that makes them so strong.
    A word about your weaponry. Make them as fine and as balanced as the person who is carrying them. Long, slim, elegant and deadly, is so much
    more appealing then chunky and heavy looking. Make them feminine, make them quick and purposeful.

We are remembered only by what we leave behind.

http://www.kilts.co.nz/WheelerKnives.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Waipunga View Post
    Your pencil work is very good. In fact some of the best I have seen. Maybe it is what you leave out that makes them so strong.
    A word about your weaponry. Make them as fine and as balanced as the person who is carrying them. Long, slim, elegant and deadly, is so much
    more appealing then chunky and heavy looking. Make them feminine, make them quick and purposeful.
    Thank you very much. And I really appreciate your input on weapons, I will keep in mind to think of them as an extension of the character.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm feeling very stressed out at the moment so I have retreated in to my happy little comfort zone with my trusty graphite pencil drawing nothing but faces. I plan to get out of it once I finish the painting that I'm currently stuck on. If you like to help me out I got a thread about it in the WIP section.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...r-update/page2

Anyhow I have been drawing the same old same old.
    Myself from a mirror, my dog and my husband sleeping and a bunch of imaginary people. Although I did have some fun coming up with exaggerated facial features for them.

Name:  face doodles 2.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  73.6 KBName:  face doodles.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  75.4 KB

Last edited by Frida Bergholtz; February 8th, 2013 at 08:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Me and my sketchbook thread will be taking a maternity leave for a few weeks. Expect me back with baby sketches.

Thank you everyone for stopping by.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still on a maternity leave since my drawing time is severely limited. But I managed to finally finish the last painting of the project that I have been working on for some time. The first mate Kesel.

I have also been sketching the baby. Mostly from life and one more detailed from a photograph to give to my mother for her birthday.

Crappy doodles were also produced but I didn't bother to scan them.

Thanks for visiting.

Name:  Ylva 2.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  71.4 KBName:  Ylva 1.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  54.6 KBName:  Ylva.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  187.3 KBName:  Kesel.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  94.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had this notion that I would have more time to spare as the baby got older...I was wrong! All the time that she previously spent sleeping is now focused on finding my pencils and shoving them up the nose and eating my paper.
    Eventually she will start going to day care so we shall see.

Here is some stuff that I found the time to scan.

I made this drawing as a birthday present for my mother in law.
    Name:  Ylva feb 2014.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  57.3 KB

This is actually a picture frame that I did as a birthday present for my grandmother.
    I will cut holes through the ovals and put photographs underneath.
    The bottom ovals look crummy so I might redoo it.
    Name:  Släktträd.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  197.1 KB

Soem fantasy character sketches.
    Name:  FlorenceRevaWilhelm.jpg
Size:  70.6 KB

My latest self portrait.
    Name:  självporträtt feb 2014.jpg
Size:  34.5 KB

Thanks for looking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had some time to spare and I drew an elf.

Whoopi!
    Name:  alvkvinna2.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  72.9 KB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 12