Vicky and Simon
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Vicky and Simon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vicky and Simon

This was the first time I used Illustrator to Imp my work. I like how it worked.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Razorleaf is offline "Moving Forward" each and every day :) Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice! I used to love watching Digimon but then my kids grew up and we stopped watching it

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorleaf View Post
    Very nice! I used to love watching Digimon but then my kids grew up and we stopped watching it
    that's Cute and all but I am looking for a Critque

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your anatomy is really off, even for the "style" that is normally associated with digimon. There's no escaping the fact that the face is just poorly done, you're not following any sort of structural set-up whatsoever. What actual expression were you attempting to mimic?

visible hand is mutated. Other hand looks amputated due to the face you obviously didn't want to draw it and cut it off funny to try and create the illusion of going behind the head.

Your highlights make everything look plastic. They shine too much because you have too much of a jump from the next to highest tone and your semi-transparent highlight tone.

You basically gave every form the same treatment. Nothing is really in the shadow and pretty much everything has a highlight on it, making it look even more two dimensional then your drawing already did.

Is that shine some sort of lens flair or something?

The creature is just one big lump of paw printed leopard in the background. I"m reading almost no anatomical sense with that one.

Keep going. Keep us posted.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Quigleyer View Post
    Your anatomy is really off, even for the "style" that is normally associated with digimon. There's no escaping the fact that the face is just poorly done, you're not following any sort of structural set-up whatsoever. What actual expression were you attempting to mimic?

visible hand is mutated. Other hand looks amputated due to the face you obviously didn't want to draw it and cut it off funny to try and create the illusion of going behind the head.

Your highlights make everything look plastic. They shine too much because you have too much of a jump from the next to highest tone and your semi-transparent highlight tone.

You basically gave every form the same treatment. Nothing is really in the shadow and pretty much everything has a highlight on it, making it look even more two dimensional then your drawing already did. Could you please do a draw over of my image so i can See exactly what you are talking about.

Is that shine some sort of lens flair or something?

The creature is just one big lump of paw printed leopard in the background. I"m reading almost no anatomical sense with that one.

Keep going. Keep us posted.
    well I can't say I did not ask for it. that was a ruff read. Okay well that means I needs to work way more on anatomy and it is a jaguar. Could You please do a draw over so I can see Exacly what you are talking about. And thank you!

Last edited by BlademanUnitPi; June 20th, 2008 at 01:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing that's flattening things too is how the jaguar's right ear (the far ear) seems on the same plane as the head. It needs a line placed so the head is 'in front' of the ear the way it is in this Preston Blair bear head. See how it's a line drawing but looks nice and solid? On that same vein, if you make your jaguar's pawprint 'spots' follow the muscles and roundness of his body, it'll go a long way toward a convincing 3 dimensional look.

Attached Images Attached Images  

zephyri is offline professional guacamole maker Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You asked for a paintover to illustrate the points made about your anatomy. It is most definitely useful to have some basic anatomy knowledge to do this kind of style, but having a good grip on basic 3d shapes like spheres and cylinders is just as important, as that's one of the easier ways to break this kind of style down. You'll have to forgive me, since this is nowhere near my kind of usual style, so I'm by no means an expert! But making sure the features sit equally across the faces will help the solid feel to the figures, rather than flattening them off, and I've tweaked the jaguar to make it look more like an jaguar, as the pointy ears and beardy bits made him look more dog-like, almost wolfish. I'd lose some of the creases in the clothing too, or maybe take a look at some references of jacket to get an idea of the way it creases, as that's spoiling the believability a little.

Hope the paintover helps a little, and let me know if anything doesn't make sense.

Name:  digimonamends.gif
Views: 226
Size:  561.4 KB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zephyri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyri View Post
    You asked for a paintover to illustrate the points made about your anatomy. It is most definitely useful to have some basic anatomy knowledge to do this kind of style, but having a good grip on basic 3d shapes like spheres and cylinders is just as important, as that's one of the easier ways to break this kind of style down. You'll have to forgive me, since this is nowhere near my kind of usual style, so I'm by no means an expert! But making sure the features sit equally across the faces will help the solid feel to the figures, rather than flattening them off, and I've tweaked the jaguar to make it look more like an jaguar, as the pointy ears and beardy bits made him look more dog-like, almost wolfish. I'd lose some of the creases in the clothing too, or maybe take a look at some references of jacket to get an idea of the way it creases, as that's spoiling the believability a little.

Hope the paintover helps a little, and let me know if anything doesn't make sense.

Name:  digimonamends.gif
Views: 226
Size:  561.4 KB
    wow thanks that is really what I need to see. I think i get it I will try some more sketches. I saved it. thank you so much I will try something

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.