a question about artist career

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a question about artist career

Hello people. It`s 2 years left before I leave school and I have been thinking for quite a long time about my future profession. In the end I realized that I want to become a concept artist and to work in a game industry. My personal reasons are: 1) it`s a wonderful thing to create using your imagination, soul, painting skill, etc 2) your own painted character, animal, etc.. can gain life by 3D modelling, animation 3) game industry is a perspective path. I do understand that to become one you must practise a lot, develop your skills and so on. So the point is: where should I start from to achieve my goal? I need at least basic knowledge from where should I start and how to spend my time efficiently to develop nescessary skills (traditional art, photshop, 3dmax) which are requiered for the profession. I`m planning to study in Scotland on a "Game arts" course. I would be grateful for all friendly answers and advices. P.s English is a foreign language for me so some mistakes are possible.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A good place to start would be the Weekly Challenge areas. They give you a basis of theme over many aspects that a concept art would be called on to draw. You can develop this traditionally or use it as an excuse to start learning digitally, but ultimately it will come down to your ability to create designs--not what you create them in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well before you can do any of this, we kinda need to see where your drawing skills are. Are you a long time artist who has just realized he wants to do concept art? Or are you a complete beginner to art with this as an ultimate goal? Your situation depends on where you stand now. If your very skilled, You would study some specifics, such as character design, illustration, etc. If your a beginner at art in general, put the idea of being a concept artist aside for a bit, because you need to gain general drafting skills first.

"We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams."

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2Mirana Thank you, I will check it

2biggjoe Yes, I`m a complete beginner. I do clearly understand that I must learn a lot of techinques before I would be able to paint something "nice" and that`s why I have started this topic. If you could, please give me an advice where should I start from in the first place? As I would do by myself, I would start from simple object copying something like an apple, learning how to put shades and everything like that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are a TON of threads with beginners asking how to begin learning art. Take an evening and really explore this site and I'm sure there will be a lot of useful advice for you. There aren't any shortcuts if you want to enter a highly competitve field like artist on computer games. Learn as much about drawing and painting as possible, learn the most professional software available, and in a few years put together the best portfolio you can. That will put you at the bare minimum for even being considered.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26636

This is one of those good advice threads.

Also Mindcandyman's sketchbook is a prototypical example of somebody starting out simple and ending up advanced.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi cloak, one advise if you are to go into 3d art path, is NOT to spend all the time learning the software and NEGLECTING your paper and pencil...

i myself stopped drawing since i got into multimedia university majoring in 3d animation... now not only my drawing skill, artistic sense, composition etc all the foundations suffering, i changed 3D software afterwards and basically wasted 3 years of my life learning all the buttons and bells and whistle my first 3d software had

keep drawing, sketches, play around with color, composition is BENEFITABLE in all artistic creation aspect in the long run, thoughtful concept for the character and environment before jumping to 3d modeling for example definitely gives you a clear goal towards your creation,
    rather than spending time learning what this tool does, because 3d software keeps updating and changing and after all they're 'just tools'

but im definitely not trying to stop you from learning the software, just advising you to keep it sufficient enough to enable you to create what you have in your sketch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsears View Post
    As far as long-term motivation goes... the rule of thumb that i've stated before is 10,000 hours before you're ready to start working professionally every day. some kids get that because they've been drawing non-stop since they were six years old. some people do that later. some people graduate college and still have to put in several years more work. but if you make it to that point where you're free to draw anything you want, however you want, in whatever style you want, then it's all worth it.

in a good way, 10,000 hours is a long time. there's more than enough time to spend some on thumbnails, and some on finished studies. Don't get in the habit of saying you're going to spend the next 10,000 hours doing 20 500-hour-long paintings. and don't defeat yourself by saying you're going to do 600,000 1-minute sketches either. you will eventually find the right mixture of practice and experimentation, quickness and deliberation to suit your needs and succeed.

You can read his entire post here.

It's not entirely on topic for what you're looking for, but its a great motivational speech for getting yourself to think about your long term goals and what it takes to achieve them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all for your help, nice people I think I have now all the information I need to begin. Now it`s up to me.. If someone decides to add something, please, feel free to do that. I look through this topic quite often.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.