Art: Hardware store epoxy putty?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hardware store epoxy putty?

I am working on a horse sculpture and I have been thinking of using epoxy putty on the legs and ears because they are probably going to crack if I make them out of sculpey, but I don't feel like waiting weeks for it to arrive if I order some online, so I was wondering if it would be possible to use epoxy putty from the hardware store instead of using the craft grade stuff.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

maddmaestro is offline conqueror of small fruit and large vegetables Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the difference between the two is this...the stuff you get at a hardware store sets in like five to ten mins. whereas the stuff that is craft grade sets in a couple of hours...giving you much more time to get your sculpting right. if you're lookingfor someplace to order from with a shorter wait time, i bought some magic sculpt from the compleat sculpter online, and i recieved it in less than a week. good luck!

Maddmaestro

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Maddmaestro, are there any specific brands of epoxy that you would recommend or are they all pretty much the same?

I don't trust the mail here, sometimes it takes months when it should only take weeks for something to arrive ....*sigh* I could go on and on about all the frustrating aspects of living in rural Alaska but its probably best that I don’t.

maddmaestro is offline conqueror of small fruit and large vegetables Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i bought magic sculpt...not by any preference but because the site i ordered from only carried that brand. i am new to sculpting myself...and was told epoxy is a must, i am told though that a majority of people find aves to be the best. i think that magic sculpt is decent, a bit sticky and tacky feel to it but that's any epoxy before it sets fully...take a look at my thread, i made the mask on the character out of magic sculpt. good luck my friend,

Maddmaestro

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try Aaves Clay . You can find it in most craft stores it has a 3 hour working time and you can get alot of detail work done. you can find them online.usually it takes about 3 days to get your stuff.The ladies woring there are very cool people too.

It's better to be remembered as the sand in the gears and not as the oil.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I buy Milliput from a hardware store - and it's exactly the same milliput as they sell in the art shop

Re: fast plumbers (epoxy) putty - I've never tried - but I'd confidently guess that you could just mix less hardener and get a slower cure time. Just make sure it's really well mixed (as usual).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not only does plumber's putty harden quickly but most also has stuff in it that adds strength which has a texture to it, making it impossible to sculpt.

However, its perfect for stregthening an armature for polymer clay sculptures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    agreed kobold, the problem with taking a part of the hardener out of plumbers putty is that it usually comes wrapped together not in two parts.

Maddaestro

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KoBold View Post
    has stuff in it that adds strength which has a texture to it, making it impossible to sculpt.
    Ah - right, didn't know that. Still blatantly going to get some now - I didn't appreciate it was as quick as it is, and a 15 minute cure time would be very handy!

Removing hardener wouldn't be that difficult - admittedly in roll type puttys it's usually the one in the middle, but that's what you knife is for.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i also noticed that two part epoxy loses some integrity when not properly mixed...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies everyone,
    I think that I will only use hardware store epoxy on the armature to strengthen the joints, and use craft putty for sculpting, but I am not sure which brand I should buy.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.