Dan Smith, Illustrator, 1865-1934... Images, Info?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,188 Times in 1,721 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Dan Smith, Illustrator, 1865-1934... Images, Info?

Any images or information on Dan Smith, a great, but little known American illustrator from the "golden age" of American Illustration? He was a Philadelphia based illustrator and was originally a newspaper artist, (a contemporary of Joseph Clement Coll's who also cut his teeth drawing for newspapers.) Smith is best known for his western subjects and was probably tackling those subjects at the same time as Remington and Russell, a generation before Wyeth and Tenney Johnson.

I think I've probably found most images and information available online at the moment, which isn't much If anybody has any saved illos from him, tearsheets, or what have you, it would be awesome to have an online archive of it. He seems like the kind of talent people should know more about.

kev

Attached Images Attached Images                            
    Last edited by kev ferrara; June 15th, 2008 at 11:46 PM.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Magnificent, breathtaking work! Thanks for the post! Dan Smith's incredible dry brush technique has been an influence on Mark Schultz. I have been looking for a copy of the 1914 newspaper serialization (in World Magazine) of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Lost World illustrated by Dan Smith for almost two decades now. Anybody have a copy? I'd love to see the illustrations he did. All I've seen is the cover to the first installment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Bill!

I've contacted a friend of mine who is a big Dan Smith collector about your question. He's been involved, on and off, for a number of years in helping to put together a book on Smith and owns some originals which will blow the socks off anybody.

Until then, a quick search of the net reveals this link re: Arthur Conan Doyle and The Lost World in World Magazine circa 1914: http://www.uscomics.net/index.php?op...sale&Itemid=85

It may be that the illustrator mentioned here "knott" traded with Smith on illustration chores for the serialization?

Best wishes and if I find out anymore info, I'll post it up.]

kev

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 5,973 Times in 2,407 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know whats more interesting the Dan Smith images or the fact that the Bill Stout is reading necro threads on CA

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So...

It looks like the Dan Smith monograph is on hold for the moment, sadly.

And my friend, the Dan Smith aficianado has no information about the Conan Doyle Lost World serial in World Magazine circa 1914.

However, here's some more Dan Smith I've collected off the internet over the last few years...

Last edited by kev ferrara; October 25th, 2011 at 11:59 AM.
    At least Icarus tried!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's more Dan Smith color work...

At least Icarus tried!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another two...

Last edited by kev ferrara; October 25th, 2011 at 12:35 PM.
    At least Icarus tried!

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Jim Vadeboncoeur's "Black and White Images 2" has a page with 4 illustrations by Dan Smith. The caption reads: "Four drawings and an ornate framing device from The Lucky Bag, 1922 [...]"

http://www.bpib.com/imagesmagfolder/...es/annual.html

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

16. The Following User Says Thank You to squidmonk3j For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by William Stout View Post
    Magnificent, breathtaking work! Thanks for the post! Dan Smith's incredible dry brush technique has been an influence on Mark Schultz. I have been looking for a copy of the 1914 newspaper serialization (in World Magazine) of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Lost World illustrated by Dan Smith for almost two decades now. Anybody have a copy? I'd love to see the illustrations he did. All I've seen is the cover to the first installment.
    Check here (if you haven't). This fellow seems to be the source for printed illustration work. http://bpib.com/

****If I hadn't been replying to posts on WAY too little sleep, I might have noticed that the poster right above me gave you the same linked resource! Sorry for the redundancy.***

Last edited by sir jon; October 28th, 2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Adding to response

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for these! I love how clearly the silhouettes read.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dan Smith and George Herriman

Hello:

I followed this thread with much interest. Has anyone done much biographical work on Dan Smith? I am writing a biography of George Herriman and Smith was a lifelong friend, but less is known about their friendship than is known about other Herriman friends, such as Rudy Dirks or Jimmy Swinnerton. If anyone can point me to more biographical info on Smith it'd be much appreciated! He's got a difficult name to Google!

Michael Tisserand

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 682 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Talk to the publisher of Illustration magazine. He may have info on him considering the subjects he publishes.

www.illustration-magazine.com

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

21. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 737 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    Talk to the publisher of Illustration magazine. He may have info on him considering the subjects he publishes.

www.illustration-magazine.com
    Daniel Zimmer (the editor) is an extremely nice chap, and I'm sure would be more than happy with this sort of query.

I wasn't familiar with Dan Smith before, wonderful work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy sh..........

"Don't judge a book by it's cover" Frank Frazetta 1928-2010
    RIP Frank.

DA gallery http://michaelsyrigos.deviantart.com/gallery/

CA Sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=131601

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For Dan Smith fans: Dan Smith was a relative by marriage to my mother. His brother was Bill Smith, who was art director for King Features in the 30's and 40's. Bill Smith was married to my mother's aunt Eleanor. My mother has lots of Dan Smith effects, including an original watercolor, photographs (one of which includes George Herriman), copies of his work, and the testimonial book from his retirement luncheon (from the NY World newspaper) in 1915. (This book is amazing .. the list of attendees at his retirement luncheon includes Windsor McKay, George McManus, Rudy Dirks, Herb Roth, Arthur Jamieson, Modest Stein and approximately 75 others, whose names you would probably recognize .. and most of the attendees contributed funny artwork dedicated to Dan). My mom has cartoons by Rudy Dirks, Modest Stein, Julius Fireman, and many others.

It was upon his "retirement" from the World in 1915, he joined the Hearst empire and went out west to paint cowboys and Indians ! He died in NYC in 1934.

My mother would be happy to share information with you.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaynemunoz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I posted a message today on this thread about my mom and her connection to Dan Smith .. she can supply you with autobiographical info about him. (she even has an original photo of Dan and George Herriman together)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jaynemunoz View Post
    I posted a message today on this thread about my mom and her connection to Dan Smith .. she can supply you with autobiographical info about him. (she even has an original photo of Dan and George Herriman together)

That would be stupendously awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dan Smith info

Hi Kev .. I posted this yesterday ... but I am not very adept at forums, so maybe it didn't go to the right place:

For Dan Smith fans: Dan Smith was a relative by marriage to my mother. His brother was Bill Smith, who was art director for King Features in the 30's and 40's. Bill Smith was married to my mother's aunt Eleanor. My mother has lots of Dan Smith effects, including an original watercolor, photographs (one of which includes George Herriman), copies of his work, and the testimonial book from his retirement luncheon (from the NY World newspaper) in 1915. (This book is amazing .. the list of attendees at his retirement luncheon includes Windsor McKay, George McManus, Rudy Dirks, Herb Roth, Arthur Jamieson, Modest Stein and approximately 75 others, whose names you would probably recognize .. and most of the attendees contributed funny artwork dedicated to Dan). My mom has cartoons by Rudy Dirks, Modest Stein, Julius Fireman, and many others.

It was upon his "retirement" from the World in 1915, he joined the Hearst empire and went out west to paint cowboys and Indians ! He died in NYC in 1934.

My mother would be happy to share information with you.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 737 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jayne,

Don't worry, Kev might not be around right now, but he'll get an email saying someone has replied to this thread so should be along sometime.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dan Smith

Thank you, Ally. I am having a bit of trouble navigating my way around this forum !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Grandfather's Best Friend...

My grandfather's best friend was John Donald with King Features. I have an original Dan Smith ink drawing of a tiger and a crocodile in battle. It hung on the wall of Uncle John's apartment in NYC until his death in the mid-70s. I have had it since, along with a few others - including Geo McManus, C.D. Russell and the wonderful Nellie Brinkley. I suspect it was a working copy for something because it has whited-out portions and what appears to be food or drink stains. I am moving to a smaller place and need to find it a good home. Would you know anyone that might be interested?

Thanks, Lynn

Thanks
    Thanked 16,678 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    LynnO, I would suggest contacting Illustration House.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dan Smith

Hello Lynn,
    Thanks for sharing your information and the picture of your Dan Smith drawing. I am a long time Dan Smith admirer. I am going to be co-writing a book on him for Lost Art Press. I would at least like to get a good scan or photo of the drawing you have for the book. I would also be interested in owning the original. You can reach me at ab69991(atsymbol)gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dan Smith WWI poster for active/discharged soldiers

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any info on a poster I have. It is a WWI poster with empty fields for a soldiers name, date he joined the service, where he joined, and what branch of the military he was in, there is also an area to place a photo of the soldier. There is a photo of this poster in one of the earlier posts. But, mine is a little different and I'm not sure why... The poster shown in the earlier post has a line to list "Engagements" that the soldier participated in, under the line for "Branch of Service"...mine does not have the "Engagements" line. Everything about the poster is the same. Can anyone tell me why there are two different versions of this poster? I would assume that the other poster was released after the war, so the enlisted could write in all that they had done and where, and possibly my poster was released before the war was over. That's the only reasoning I can come up with to explain the difference. There are no markings on this poster to tell me a date except for the date of President Wilson's quote in a message to Congress from December 4, 1917. And, the only marking that shows where this poster was produced is located in the bottom left hand corner under the artwork where there is a copyright symbol and the text "Illustrated Postal Card & Nov. Co N. Y.", which I guess could be the Illustrated Postcard and Novelty Co based out of Albany(?) or New York(?), NY. I'm including a photo of my poster, any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Mark

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Smith 1.JPG
Views: 413
Size:  601.0 KB

Members who have read this thread: 1