Sketchbook: My first sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My first sketchbook

Hello all!
    I found this wonderful community recently and i was overwhelmed with joy, but more so with a huge amount of valuable info.
    I doodled from an early age, now and then, but nothing serious, and certainly didn't have a proper training in the mystical ways o'the paintbrush. After my jaw got tired of looking through all these amazing stuff, I have to admit, i was somewhat intimidated, feeling out of place. Then i came across MindCandyMan's thread and that had a major impact on my attitude. As i said I love drawing, but my family had a say in me not making such a "foolish" choice as becoming an artist. So drawing faded in the background, becoming a mere hobby, doodling this and that when I got tired of my teacher's lectures . Oops, got carried away there.
    Long story short, I'm here, I'm willing, and hopefully able too digest this goldmine you call CA. Mostly i did reference drawings, so i can pretty much draw a picture i see, but i realized that i can not learn to draw from my imagination that way. So after i looked around the threads and heeded the advices of Seedling and others, i started off with the Loomis books. From what i feel that is vital for basics is the general knowledge of how lights and shadows work, and human anatomy (tough one). Also life drawings seem to help a lot, so i'll be doing that too. Will post my progress here.(hopefully i will be able to call it progress ).
    Here are some sketches I did recently, and some old ones I did when i was in school (back in the 7th grade).

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Galador; September 3rd, 2008 at 07:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some old reference sketches:
    Comments and criticism are more then welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first webcomic, and first use of Adobe Flash CS3.
    My first sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No reference used. Just a study of the human face. From what I can tell the eyes are wierd.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man you should draw from life as much as you can. set up a still life (I.E. some paint cans of different sizes on top of a cloth with a main light source like a directed lamp). The more you draw from life the better. I also find that drawing from life too much is dreadfully boring so i make sure to supplement my work with play. Any draw as much as you can and you'll be amazed.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to i dont know For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ i dont know : Hey man, thanks for your comment! And you're absolutely right. Even though i try to struggle with the technicalities, and doing the studies according to the book, it can get boring, so when it does, there's nothing more fun then to do a life drawing. And as i discovered you can learn lots from it if you think about it and don't just copy a reference drawing like a robot.

Last edited by Galador; April 6th, 2010 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there,
    You have a nice skecthbook going on here I particularly like the budgie works and the horses. There lovely

With the face study, The actual point I feel is throwing it off is the mouth. It's drawn like the peson is looking you square in the face, and not on the angle that it should be. The right sode of it should actually be smaller in propertion and curve around a little.
    If you ever want any input, let me know, i'd be glad to help

Karein

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Karein For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Karein View Post
    Hey there,
    You have a nice skecthbook going on here I particularly like the budgie works and the horses. There lovely

With the face study, The actual point I feel is throwing it off is the mouth. It's drawn like the peson is looking you square in the face, and not on the angle that it should be. The right sode of it should actually be smaller in propertion and curve around a little.
    If you ever want any input, let me know, i'd be glad to help

Karein
    Thanks alot Karein! The budgie is drawn from life, and about the face, i will try to work on that, indeed the mouth region seemed wierd, couldn't really tell what was off, and it would be great if you could help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there! Nice sketches. Horses are my favs so far... and more ww2 planes pleeeeez!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello

Your sketches are good. using references is really a good habit to start with
    for what i know about starting...

I like your web comic

keep it up mate

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    as Karein already told you, the parts of the face are from different angles. the eye, the nose and the mouth aren't good together. you are tend to draw a nose in profile even when the face is in 3/4 view. maybe partly because of it, your faces are too stiff, not those captivating ones with full of expression we all like... faces has a great importance, well, you know it for sure, it's just interesting for me that you're far better with bodies I'm the opposite.
    your horse studies are good! buy my fav this far is the guy with skull adornment your comic is okay too.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A new drawing of mine. I used a picture of a monkey as reference, from a National Geographic mag.

Last edited by Galador; October 3rd, 2008 at 09:20 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook, I see you had the opportunity to bump into MindCandyMan's thread I do agree it is pretty encouraging, anyways I see diversity and I like that, the last post is the best I think and that WW II plane looks nice. What I would like to see is more anatomy studies and that kind of stuff (I hope don't mind me saying that)

Cheers

"iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good start man, looks like you've got plenty of stuff you wanna draw, but it seems to me like you're a bit too dependant of reference for now...if that is the case, try and alternate referenced studies with construction studies, be it human or animal anatomy, so that you can build your base, and then work on it adding detail and the rest, using the reference as a looser guide that how you use it now...just my 2 cents

keep sharing!

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn exams. No time for drawing...although constantly on my mind it really bugs me that i have to do something lame, like learning math instead of doodling away, but who said life was easy, eh? So these are some random 5-10 minute scribbles, nothing fancy, hope to post on a regular basis from next week. Damn, i need to kick myself harder. This forum posting thing really helps though, it's like free therapy ). I can pour all my sorrows out. Lol..Oprah material .

The piece of cloth is drawn from life, i was studying the shades and folds of it. I'm not really satisfied with my current sketchbook, it has a really rough surface and my drawings look like they were drawn in a 1x1 pixel medium.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    therapy? then not I am the only who states "my sb is my psychiater"? I always face with the fact I draw faaar less I want to and it's a very unpleasant feeling...

the bird with the feather: it seems the feather is behind the beak, not in it but I like this drawing. 10 minutes? impressive...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Thanks again for stopping by my SB. I see you're into comic strips yourself. I seldom do them although I do get the urge from time to time. The thought of actually working as a comic artist and having to constantly come up with new ideas, scares the shit out of me. I think you're doing well so far. Using reference is good to get familiar with shapes and details, but you wont know if it sticks until you try without it. I really like the plane and the monkey - very nice details on that one. Keep studying and you'll notice a difference soon. I will be doing the same.

Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a refed warrior dude i finished up and an unrefed gladiator head thingy. Excuse the humongous amount of anatomy mistakes. I'm still very unskilled in that department.

Last edited by Galador; October 25th, 2008 at 01:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey...imi place maimuta , you have a lot to learn and I can't wait to see some progress from you!

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Galador, thanks for postin' on my SB today! You've gotta' post your drawings a lot more often. They don't need to be perfect or anything, but let the site help you draw more often by planning to post more (at least that's how I'm doin' it). You said you liked Loomis, then post your Loomis studies!

Anyways, I'm glad you didn't let your family's discouragement keep you out of art. Oh, and my favorite is the monkey drawing.

My path to improvement: a.k.a, my lame sketchbook.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Foolsauce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SinnerMan: Thanks for stopping by man.
    Foolsauce: You're soooo right dude. I'm trying to get my lazy ass to work and draw daily, even if they are small doodles or studies. I didn't post any studies till now, only sketches, but it's better then nothing i guess. So i will try to do more stuff, although it will be interesting to joggle work, college, social life (wazzat?) and drawing , but damn it, we must try, right?

So here are some I C U (eye see you) studies. Not much but better then nothing:

Last edited by Galador; November 27th, 2008 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today's ear study:

Last edited by Galador; December 4th, 2008 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm glad to see you workin' at posting again. And, yeah, something is always better than nothing in studying. I'm still trying to learn not to beat myself up if I don't get much done in a day, especially around the holidays (stupid thanksgiving...), where I think it'll be harder to keep focused.

I hope you can find time to keep at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Foolsauce: Yea I know what you mean, holidays don't help, and more to come soon is close by.

So here's a drawing i did of one of my GW miniature. I present to you, Joseph the Goblin Squig Rider:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like these last few studies [Civardi I believe?]. Much improvement in these few months, kudos. :] Keep working on the face as a whole, though, I'd like to see some studies of that.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaytea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's a GW miniature? All that means to me is Guild Wars Mini pet (never mind that). That poor Squig's forhead flesh is probably hurtin' quite a bit. Good job though. You conveyed form pretty well, and it's easy to tell what is infront of what throughout the drawing in a farely complex pose.

Just wondering, have you worked on perspective?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolsauce View Post
    What's a GW miniature? All that means to me is Guild Wars Mini pet (never mind that). That poor Squig's forhead flesh is probably hurtin' quite a bit. Good job though. You conveyed form pretty well, and it's easy to tell what is infront of what throughout the drawing in a farely complex pose.

Just wondering, have you worked on perspective?
    It's a Games Workshop miniature. Little 2 cm miniatures that you can paint. It's like 3D painting . You buy it, can be plastic or metal, you assemble it and paint it. Got like 200 of the little guys . And i drew this one:
    My first sketchbook

Here are more of the little rascals

And no, I am nowhere with perspective, haven't worked on it at all. This one came out alright i guess, just out of plain luck. I looked at the mini and drew it, so you could call it drawing from life ). Lol, i don't think that this is what Bargue or any of the others ment by drawing from life , but hey, it's 3d right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! Looks like you've made some nice progress yourself. Those studies are very nice. Great work. Keep at it and draw more often so you have something to show off. I've been procrastinating for a while now, but I've finally started drawing again. So expect un update from me soon. Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anatomy lots and lots of anatomy , and the life drawings from then on you will find out yourself what you need

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.