Accepted Portfolios? - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kuwakovski View Post
    Hahaha yeah. I was scared for a minute there; cause I think that should get in, studies or no studies
    I decided to go to SCAD Atlanta for computer animation. I submitted that portfolio plus or minus 3 or 4 newer things. I don't think that observational drawings are that important if you are applying for illustration. From What I hear from professors that I know, They just want your portfolio to feel like you have guts and stand out from the rest. It varies a lot.. depends on different schools. Most of my friends who are professors just want to see refinement and sense of identity and content. Hopefully if all goes well I will be attending SCAD in Atlanta in March =) I am pretty excited.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, catb! I can't read a word of vietnamese, but it seems like a really cool language.

MCM: Cool... Just out of curiosity, did that portfolio get accepted at sva?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine Schacker View Post
    I can't tell you how impressive it is that you are totally self taught and doing work at this level! You seem to have an innate sensitivity to composition and design, form, planar structure, color, and, in my opinion the most important quality - your work has genuine feeling.

They will be very lucky to have you as a student ! Do you live in New York?
    What are your career goals? Are you dependent on scholarship aid to go to school? Please let me know how things go for you...and good luck.
    Maxine - That's one of the nicest things someone has said about my work! Thanks so much. Your words are really encouraging.
    I live about four hours away from NY, near Boston. I would probably like to go into magazine or book illustration, though I am slightly interested in concept art. As far as scholarships - I'm not 100% dependent, but they will certainly help!

Last edited by Chief; January 16th, 2009 at 12:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never even sent it off.. I got caught up in some life issues.. then sort of just jumped back into looking for a school and settled on SVA. I imaging my portfolio would have raised some eyebrows. But I can't say definitively that it would have got me in. Srry.

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since I've already promised Maxine to post my artwork here, here's the part I initially was planning to submit as my portfolio for Capilano university;
    doesn't include all the digital pieces, but they're mostly on the same level, earlier ones are worse, later ones are more polished; doesn't include 10 pages of street marker sketches, they'll take tooo long to clean up (I'm on deadline atm)
    all the pieces, posted here, were made during a one year game art and design program at a small but competitive vancouver art-school;
    the program basically included 6 months of life-drawing (6 to 9 hours + 3 hours elective a week if I remember it correctly), 3 months of traditional concept art (3 hr/week @ 12 weeks), studio painting class (a bit of each medium, 3 hr/week @ 12 weeks) and 6 months of digital concept art (3 hr/week @ 12 weeks) - that's pretty much all for painting/drawing.
    By the middle of the course I was sure I'll have to continue my education, simply because 6 months of directed study brought much greater results than a year of self-studying before; also I'm only 20, and the average age of videogame industry newcomers is 23-24;
    However, my future studying plans are jeopardized because of WORLD ECONOMICAL CRYSIS, and tuition rates, that're trapping me this year. High hopes for private tutoring and ecomic balancing until 2010;

enough blablling, pictures:

Attached Images Attached Images                                                                
    Last edited by ikken; January 24th, 2009 at 07:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ikken, take a look at the reactivated thread on this forum, "Concept Art: What does it take?" It's excellent and has replies from recruiters, working concept artists and Jason Manley. It will give you a very real idea of the skills you need to acquire.

Learning visual language, as you know, requires discipline and practice. While your work does show a response to the figure, a feeling for color, and, in the later paintings (Photoshop?), a generally good sense of design, you need to focus on improving basic traditional fine art skills.

I'm sorry to hear that you will not be able to plan on going to school next year.
    However, you can get some good books (let me know if you need suggestions), you can find instructed or uninstructed life drawing classes, a good perspective and structural drawing class, and you can set to work drawing every day (with focus). Forget the computer for now. Walk before you run...and good luck to you.

I hope that you will always treat others, and their efforts, with respect and generosity of spirit. What goes around comes around.

Thank you for posting your work. I really like that last drawing of the tree !

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maxine
    thank you for taking time to reply;
    yes, the fine art foundation is totally essential, that's why I was hoping to continue my studies.
    I'm sticking to private tutoring with one of mentors from Stroganov's university in Moscow when I'm back.
    I'd be more careful with statements like "forget about computer" - working digitally does require a certain habit of working with tablet as it's still different in the way it's recognizing the users input - and this habit is not that difficult to be lost;
    but working both traditionally and applying the techniques you're learning into digital space gives a really good result.
    and at the end it's a matter of one's choice - it's not possible to learn all the foundation by means of digital media only, and it's possible to decide between the two when it comes to professional work

and I'm still too far away from working professionally at this point.

btw, could you please post the link at Jason's thread? Forum search gives too much unrelated topics, like, 17 pages of them.

Last edited by ikken; January 22nd, 2009 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just look at this forum- it's current- " Concept Art: What does it take?." The thread is right there!!!

Ikken, you are very much at the beginning and humility does not seem to be part of your mind set. Do read all the responses on that thread.

Last edited by Maxine Schacker; January 22nd, 2009 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Concept Artist: What does it take

Ikken, at the stage you're at drawing should be your primary focus, both from life and following through and applying what you've learned to imaginative drawing. The root of all realistic drawing is a working understanding of perspective and developing an eye to see how forms move through space. David Chelsea's Perspective for Comic Book Artists is a reasonably good start. Most concept work isn't the characters, but the environments and other objects laying around or being used. By your work here, it seems you already get this, which is great.

Improving your facility with perspective, both with rulers and freehand will actually improve your figure work, too.

Toward improving your figure work, more drawing from life is a given, but being able to work with a constructive manikin is a must. Loomis has a nice one to start with in Figure Drawing for All it's Worth, though I'm finding Reilly's abstraction easier to teach lately. You can find that in Faragasso's Mastering Drawing the Human Figure and I see hints of it, or at least similar thinking in Jack Hamm's Drawing the Head & Figure. Developing a process to work through simple figure development into complex surface interactions like costume and props that allows you to check proportion and perspective as you go allows you catch mistakes and control your work.

It's unfortunate the economy is biting the way it is, but it looks like you're planning accordingly.

Best of luck,

~Richard

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rpace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2 Maxine
    oh, sorry. I'm a bit retarded when it comes to forum navigation.
    Will be reading the thread right now.
    2 rpace
    thank you for the last two links - it's sad that none of Reily's own books were actually published; I'll check the books you've mentioned at the local chapters than;
    I've been working with Loomis books for about a year, prior to entering my current program - they were insightful, but stilll, they're making much more sense when combined with regular model drawing/painting sessions, art school essentially provides the best possible conditions for that. (Even if the schooling isn't that good, the facilities are still there.)
    And self-studying doesn't have that important communicative part in it, makes it less efficient.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by a la bapsi View Post
    probably,
    but i see nothing wrong with being strongly influenced by any artist or movement.
    Thank you very much..

Do you know what is a complete farce in terms of being a creative person? When it comes down to it institutions cram Art History down your throat and then expect you to become a martyr for individualism. I mean really.. make up your freaking minds? It is such a freshman argument and very cyclic in nature. Oh "Look at these guys and write essays.. yet don't be so influenced?" WTF? There is nothing worse than indecisiveness. Especially in an institution in which you pay for? Especially amongts people who are pressed to become mentors.

We look up to those who inspire us and yet get hung upon a cross for regurgitating kitsch ideologies? Isn't that what humans do by nature? As artists and creative people are we not pressed to observe? Isn't that what art history comes down to? A product of our time and the observations of what we have been conditioned to accept?

What has really got me twisted is this whole portfolio mess. All of these kids are so stressed about content and substance philosophically. Truth is that Philosophy and artistic abilities walk a shredded line. The days of the salon are over... Art has become a purely visual projection. No one cares about he artist's philosophies on life. They have become completely invalid. That is where art has failed the masses in general. Art has become a quick fix in a sense. What happened to the trust and admiration associated with art. Art has strayed far beyond it's pure intent an it has become a novelty.

Art majors have to come to some sort of internal realization that what we creat goes far beyond the expectations of the gallery or academic institutions which create us. It is like Frankenstein or something. Society creates us yet destroys us without a second thought if we fail to fit a guideline of perfection.

I am sick and tired of coming back to this site which projects a sense of tolerance only to be force fed a load of bs.

Look kids...

Do what you love to do. Send it to the schools that you feel will best inspire you. Surround yourself with a strong peer group. That is what matters... Not the money.. not the prestige or name recognition.

When you submit a portfolio represent only yourself and nothing else. When the school accepts you it will be base off of honesty and a sense of artistic maturity. They want life drawings? You don't do life drawings? Then it isn't the school for you.. Simple as that.

Negate me if you people want to.. I give a crap.

Art is serious.. it is competitive.. there is no room for weak b.s...

remember that.

Meh..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry about the type-o's. It is 3 am and there is an icestorm outside.Meh... I am not getting a grade. Consider my post as an Eastern portrayal in ceramics (production). It is honest and true. Truth is subjective. But art is not no matter what you believe? How do I grade art? uh.... would you buy it? When you submit a portfolio to the "school of your dreams" would you expect them to buy it? It is so simple yet so perverse. That is the beauty of it all.

Meh...

Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What are you talking about? I understand that it was 3 AM...but.... To get into animation or concept art programs one needs to show some grasp of the language of traditional drawing and painting, and demonstrate the likelihood that you are teachable. To make something move well you will need certain skills, and drawing (including structural drawing as well as life drawing) is one of them. Period.

That doesn't mean that people who don't have a leaning in this direction aren't artists or won't become artists. It just means that they aren't likely to become animators.

Similarly, the needs and demands of a career as a concept artist, or illustration, lead admissions teams to look for indications of certain kinds of potential.

The students looking at this thread want information about what work was acceptable to get individuals into certain specific departments...not fine art ( which doesn't mean their work won't or can't have aesthetic value). They have specific careers in mind.

We could also talk about fine art programs, but that's another subject.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well put, Maxine.

MCM, most art students applying to colleges are interested in the commercial arts, that is, artwork that will be marketed to a society's interests. This includes animation, illustration, fashion design, graphic design, etc...

So, commercial artists do not rely on society taking interest in the artist's personal work, like what you mentioned. The general public does not care about an artist's personal philosophies or individual artistic language. All they care about is if it looks good.

Consequentally, when colleges are looking at student's portfolios, they are looking for the students who's work looks good, i.e. demonstrates an understanding of the fundamentals. They are looking for potential in the students by seeing who has a grasp of the principles of art, because that's what matters most.

Now, if a student's portfolio can demonstrate the fundementals while also carrying deeper, conceptual themes and personal philosophies, all the better! But that should be secondary.

Also, teaching students art history is not to get them to copy artists from the past, it is to simply educate them on what artists have done for thousands of years so that students can make more sophisticated, unique works.

Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kuwakovski View Post
    I just got in early decision to the Illustration Dept at the School of Visual Arts (fall 09).
    Here are some pieces from my portfolio. Good luck to everyone waiting on a decision or yet to apply.
    i just applied to SVA for illustration as well, but for regular decision.
    i've taken various pre-college classes there and most teachers there told me I would have no problem getting in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post

MCM, most art students applying to colleges are interested in the commercial arts, that is, artwork that will be marketed to a society's interests. This includes animation, illustration, fashion design, graphic design, etc...
    Well, most students on conceptart. I don't think that holds true to art students as a whole.

[QUOTE=lowercase;2102880]So, commercial artists do not rely on society taking interest in the artist's personal work, like what you mentioned. The general public does not care about an artist's personal philosophies or individual artistic language. All they care about is if it looks good.

The public certainly takes interest in the philosophy of an animated film or illustration. However, if they can't tell what the philosiphy is due to poor skills, they won't care.

You can have a successful career as an animator or illustrator or whatever without good ideas. If you lack skill, it really doesn't matter how good your ideas are. But you need both to be great.

So basically, as you said, conceptual themes matter, but are secondary to fundamental skills.

And so as to make this post not too off-topic, here is my portfolio. It has been accepted by SVA; I'm still waiting to know from Ringling and CCA.

Attached Images Attached Images                          

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great portfolio meloncov, congratz on getting into sva.
    Im still waiting to hear from sva, haha the wait is killing me 3 of my friends already got in. hopefully i will get something tomorrow because my application was complete a week before me friend and she got her acceptance today. i will be running back and forth to the mailbox tomorrow!

My portfolio **crosses fingers**

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bklyndude326 View Post
    great portfolio meloncov, congratz on getting into sva.
    Thanks. Strictly speaking, I haven't gotten into SVA; the portfolio was accepted at a portfolio day, but I haven't formally been accepted.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOOO!!! got into SVA Computer Art!

http://tonysartwork.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats bklyndude326!

~R

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats Tony and everyone else who has been accepted so far

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah great job guys. All of your stuff looks terrific. Unfortunately I'm still getting my applications in so I won't hear back from colleges anytime soon. Here is a link to the portfolio I will be submitting to schools. I've recieved a letter from MICA after having my portfolio reviewed there that it was deemed acceptable. I'm still working on trying to make it better, so any help with it would be awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ACCEPTABLE? Good god, for an art school portfolio that is ridiculously advanced.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that is advanced Pyroclasm00, haha i got a letter from mica saying the same thing about my portfolio. They like sent me a letter everyday for a week telling me to apply lol but i didn't, i wanted to stay in NY and there animation dept. didn't look too good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    any word on scholarships? I want to know if any of the ones who got into SVA got a scholarship offered...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check out Current Portfolios. If you guys want to post your current portfolio like some have already here, please put it there

27. The Following User Says Thank You to eromenos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by poncem View Post
    any word on scholarships? I want to know if any of the ones who got into SVA got a scholarship offered...
    You have to apply for the scholarship separately for SVA, deadline is this sunday. But there is another scholarship SVA offers that you don't have to apply for seperately, Chairman's merit award, if your portfolio was good enough they send you something saying you were rewarded that scholarship.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going through the art school rigamarole again(ugh) right now trying to race against looming priority deadlines and figure out what paper needs to be sent where, while finishing up my new portfolio.

Anyway, I was looking at this thread it's great.

I figured I'd post my portfolio from last year. I was accepted to Minneapolis College of Art and Design and Ringling College of Art and design, both for illustration. I didn't get scholarship offers though so I turned both schools down .

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 4947
Size:  394.4 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 4898
Size:  218.6 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 4897
Size:  474.6 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 4892
Size:  331.2 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 4857
Size:  203.1 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 4860
Size:  187.2 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 4817
Size:  225.5 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 4827
Size:  276.6 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 4825
Size:  296.4 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 4811
Size:  242.8 KB

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 4780
Size:  120.7 KB

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Jtho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, great digital work Jtho! I love the colors in the first one D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude you didn't get any scholarship offers? That's not good for the rest of us applying, your portfolio looks really good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ringling has only like one scholarship though..

Sketch page coming soon.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 237