Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Accepted Portfolios?

Thanks
    For the general population of high school students who are planning to apply to some of these schools it would be very interesting to know where you studied and how you developed your skills. Did you go to publicly funded general high schools, special art high schools, or private schools? Did you attend paid pre-college programs to get a leg up? During the school year did you take private classes?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thesinfulsaint View Post
    Great idea!

I'm entering my sophomore year as a Computer Animation major at Ringling, and I got the annual presidential scholarship for $10k going in my freshman year (fall of 2007). Here's the portfolio I submitted.
    FUCK! that is GOOD! i mean... damn... you... you just... you go on with your bad self!

....... DAMN! good ::faints::

Thanks
    For the general population of high school students who are planning to apply to some of these schools it would be very interesting to know where you studied and how you developed your skills. Did you go to publicly funded general high schools, special art high schools, or private schools? Did you attend paid pre-college programs to get a leg up? During the school year did you take private classes?
    You don't need to go anywhere special... Most of the applicants I have talked to just worked really really hard, no private lessons or anything. All it takes is good work ethic.. like learning to ride a bicycle. A really, really difficult bicycle.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The people who show life drawing at a developed level definitely went somewhere to draw from the model, and it looks as if they've received instruction. It would be interesting if they would comment...and good for you if you are completely self taught. The work ethic is necessary of course no matter what path you follow.

Thanks
    ok. I'll just stay for the:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxine Schacker View Post
    I went to a large public high school with a visual and performing arts magnet which included music, dance, tv production, theater, and of course, art, which I was in for four years. Unfortunately that really didn't boil down to much in the years that I was there. Right before I came in as a freshman the drawing teacher was transferred to an elementary school, probably for budget reasons, and the jewelry teacher had to take over a lot of the classes and it didn't really work out too well to say the least. The ceramics teacher left, and soon after that the ap studio teacher left as well to go to another school, and they didn't replace her either. Needless to say, my classmates and I received next to no instruction in painting and drawing for our four years there. Our biggest assets in all this was our sincere interest in out, each other, and an hour of studio time each day. Other classes like ceramics and three years of graphic arts were pretty good though, especially for broadening our horizons and overall growth. Personally I haven't taken any private classes unless you count one week of art camp back in the seventh grade, and the only pre-college I went to was a state funded math/science one, although I must confess I skipped out on a few lunches to go throw pots at the university's art center. After I found out that figure drawing was of such huge importance for applying to CalArts I started going to weekly figure drawing sessions at Crealdé School of Art last September to improve as much as I could and rapidly build up a body of work before that oh so close deadline. These were just sessions with a model, no instruction whatsoever was provided.

My skills have developed from years of drawing and observation since I was a little kid, as I've always been into drawing, and from years of occasional tid bits I was lucky enough to pick up in class, skimming books, looking through tutorials, reading forums like concept art, and from peer feedback on forums and in person.

Thanks
    I didn't go to an art high school--just a public high school with a very crappy art program. To this day the program bothers me; I missed my own senior show because it was scheduled at a time when my portfolio was competing in a scholarship competition that was supposedly for the tri-county area. I won that scholarship, so I guess that shows them a thing or two.

I found out about Ringling during my junior year during some hefty research about animation schools. After finding out about Ringling, I set out to find a good pre-college program. I wound up going to CCAD, and that's where all of the life drawings (my first time life drawing ever, actually), the collage self portrait, and the teapot painting in my portfolio came from. After that was over, I just set my mind to making a really good portfolio because I knew that I couldn't go to Ringling unless I got a scholarship.

Haha... Thank you kauser.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzybeth View Post
    I went to a large public high school with a visual and performing arts magnet which included music, dance, tv production, theater, and of course, art, which I was in for four years. Unfortunately that really didn't boil down to much in the years that I was there. Right before I came in as a freshman the drawing teacher was transferred to an elementary school, probably for budget reasons, and the jewelry teacher had to take over a lot of the classes and it didn't really work out too well to say the least. The ceramics teacher left, and soon after that the ap studio teacher left as well to go to another school, and they didn't replace her either. Needless to say, my classmates and I received next to no instruction in painting and drawing for our four years there. Our biggest assets in all this was our sincere interest in out, each other, and an hour of studio time each day. Other classes like ceramics and three years of graphic arts were pretty good though, especially for broadening our horizons and overall growth. Personally I haven't taken any private classes unless you count one week of art camp back in the seventh grade, and the only pre-college I went to was a state funded math/science one, although I must confess I skipped out on a few lunches to go throw pots at the university's art center. After I found out that figure drawing was of such huge importance for applying to CalArts I started going to weekly figure drawing sessions at Crealdé School of Art last September to improve as much as I could and rapidly build up a body of work before that oh so close deadline. These were just sessions with a model, no instruction whatsoever was provided.

My skills have developed from years of drawing and observation since I was a little kid, as I've always been into drawing, and from years of occasional tid bits I was lucky enough to pick up in class, skimming books, looking through tutorials, reading forums like concept art, and from peer feedback on forums and in person.
    o_O did you go to MSA? Sounds exactly the same...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin. View Post
    o_O did you go to MSA? Sounds exactly the same...
    MSA?... what? I guess not...

Thanks
    Public high school with an 'arts' focus in central florida, a little bit south of tampa.. we had almost the exact same scenario, one of the best art teachers got transferred to an elementary school, lots of graphic design courses, jewelry courses, etc..

Thanks
    yeah, I didn't go there. I went to school across the street from universal studios in good ole o-town. I sorry to hear that the same thing is happening at other schools too... Too many people in schools and leadership care more about numbers and scores than the arts.

Thanks
    I think it's slowly becoming a world-wide thing, then again, the art programs are usually looked down upon at most places in America in the first place. The world wants you to be a "jack-of-all-trades" rather than specialize in one thing, especially the arts.

Over here in Michigan, my old high school is slowly getting rid of all of the art programs; music, dance, and theater included.
    What was once a large string program has now been reduced to a single class composed of beginners and advanced students.
    Band classes are slowly being reduced to marching band, freshmen class, intermediate, and college level. All the music classes are also taught by the same two teachers, by the way.
    Drawing/Art classes have taken a large hit, loosing 2-3 teachers, and several drawing and advanced classes. Luckily, there's still AP Art. Computer Art 1 and Photography are now one class.
    There are only...maybe 2-3 dance classes.
    I think only two theater classes.

This all happened last year too.
    BUT.
    The school didn't get rid of the classes to save money.
    Instead, they replaced them all with math and science classes. They're mostly just extra classes for kids who are to smart for the easy classes but to dumb for the normal&advanced classes. Instead of 4 years of math, you're required to take two years of two math classes. And I think the extra science classes are just general biology and such.

It's a sad world. D:

Thanks
    Thank you all for sharing all of this. Unfortunately it's been this way for a very long time. However, you are all very lucky to have the internet and access to so much information. When I was young it was a treasure hunt. I'm so impressed by your dedication, passion and hard work! It also gives me great pleasure to see real quality in so much of the work.

The best of luck to all of you.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast