Accepted Portfolios? - Page 5

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can check my deviantart page to see my "portfolio" I showed to SAIC at a NPD - it was accepted. They accept a high percentage of applicants so it might not tell you much.

Parsons, SVA, Ringling, CCS and Otis all said I would get in as an illustration transfer if I applied but I'm working on a few updated pieces before I send it in officially. All schools told me to send fewer observational pieces and send more of my illustration work. That is probably because I'm a transfer though and am trying to place into the illustration program.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If any of you would like, I'd be glad to rummage through the accepted portfolios of our student's in the Animation Portfolio Workshop, and post a bunch of their work here for you to study.

Gerard Sternik / Director

Animation Portfolio Workshop

http://www.portfolioworkshop.com/

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gerard Sternik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please do, Gerard. Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We Must See More Accepted Portfolios! D:<

My sketchbook. Input and advice is, well, appreciated. :] http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=118556

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amoolie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by amoolie View Post
    We Must See More Accepted Portfolios! D:<
    Do you really??

Seriously, do you guys really need to see other people's portfolios to judge how well you're going to do? Why not just submit your best stuff and let the chips fall where they may?? It's one thing to ask questions and be curious about what School X is looking for but do you really need to see what one person or another is submitting?

I can dig the informational part of this thread but c'mon- do we really need to see one another's portfolios? Isn't there already a section to see one another's work already on CA?

Besides I'd much rather look at a professional's work or the great masters' work and strive for that as opposed to looking at peers' work. I'd prefer to go gunning for the people ahead of me and not worry about who's running alongside.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whizbang - I know from where you are coming from... but ... {you had to know it was coming} you have to remember there are people trying to get into schools that aren't that easy to get into...also, these same people might live in a very obscure place where it is hard to find out what other people are doing, and see if you are on the right track... I also think the comment you are referring to might have been to try and get the conversation back on topic...which is looking at and responding to accepted portfolios...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by WhizBang View Post

Besides I'd much rather look at a professional's work or the great masters' work and strive for that as opposed to looking at peers' work. I'd prefer to go gunning for the people ahead of me and not worry about who's running alongside.
    A peer who got accepted into the school we want to go to is a reasonable target to aim for in the months we have before sending in portfolios. Not so much a great master's.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by WhizBang View Post
    I'd prefer to go gunning for the people ahead of me and not worry about who's running alongside.

If art were linear, you're argument would be valid. But there is much to be learned from every artist. Portfolio's are like a statement a student makes upon entering college. It's more than just rendering and color and proper composition. It's where we've come from and where we want to go.

I think you're right to caution people against taking this thread too seriously. There is no way to judge whether you are going to get accepted by looking at other portfolios, but I think you would acknowledge that no two portfolio's that have been posted have been the same. They have all had something unique to offer, because of the unique individual creating the art. Refusing to look at someone elses portfolio is like slamming a door in their face. We're speaking our words through our images, with the collective goal of furthering our education at an art school. What's so wrong about that?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to emifinan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seeing accepted portfolios are sort of what this thread is about. Regardless of whether or not you think the intention is a valid one, that IS the thread's topic. We don't need to be talking about the importance of GPAs vs. Portfolios, or matching people's baby photos to their adult photos, or talking about what our favorite shapes of sliced carrots are

It's not about necessarily about comparing yourself to others that are applying. The thread is "Accepted Portfolios." It's for comparing yourself to those who the schools regard as good enough to attend, AND seeing what they submitted to be considered that. That applies to variety of work, media, and the balance of how much original art vs. life drawings.

This information IS important to me.

I've seen maybe 2, 3 portfolios in this thread

Should I start a new thread for portfolios? I dunno

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've seen maybe 2, 3 portfolios in this thread
    I counted 16.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're right, i lied. still, there haven't been any in the last few pages

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's probably due to the fact that people aren't applying to schools right now. Early next year people should be posting as we find out if we're accepted or not.

Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ember42 View Post
    Whizbang - I know from where you are coming from... but ... {you had to know it was coming} you have to remember there are people trying to get into schools that aren't that easy to get into...also, these same people might live in a very obscure place where it is hard to find out what other people are doing, and see if you are on the right track... I also think the comment you are referring to might have been to try and get the conversation back on topic...which is looking at and responding to accepted portfolios...
    Yes, I knew that this could be the beginning of a firestorm coming my way but I would also ask WHY are you looking at one another's portfolios? Is it seriously to make one feel better about their own portfolios? It's entirely different to ask for help about one's pieces to strengthen a portfolio prior to submission (there are numerous sections here in CA to do that) than it is to see what got an individual into a school.

I would also have to contend that people who are also living in obscure places still have access to the internet and can check out their prospective schools to look at their galleries. Again- aiming for a higher mark than their own peer network.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    A peer who got accepted into the school we want to go to is a reasonable target to aim for in the months we have before sending in portfolios. Not so much a great master's.
    But seeing as how portfolios are so diverse, how do you know that your portfolio is even comparable or better? I would still contend that you should be the best artist YOU can be as opposed to seeing what a peer is doing for motivation. As far as a target to aim for, why not a great master or a working professional? Shouldn't any artist at any level be striving to better themselves? I wouldn't shy away from studying or trying to dissect the knowledge gained from looking at a great masters work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by emifinan View Post
    If art were linear, you're argument would be valid. But there is much to be learned from every artist. Portfolio's are like a statement a student makes upon entering college. It's more than just rendering and color and proper composition. It's where we've come from and where we want to go.

I think you're right to caution people against taking this thread too seriously. There is no way to judge whether you are going to get accepted by looking at other portfolios, but I think you would acknowledge that no two portfolio's that have been posted have been the same. They have all had something unique to offer, because of the unique individual creating the art. Refusing to look at someone elses portfolio is like slamming a door in their face. We're speaking our words through our images, with the collective goal of furthering our education at an art school. What's so wrong about that?
    I agree emphatically to this! Every artist has something to offer. Looking at lots of art is great and encouraged to expand one's knowledge but please don't look at it as a motivator to be better than the next person in regards to getting into a quality art program.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking at accepted portfolios gives you an idea of what level you need to be to be accepted. Some schools offer more instruction than others in basic traditional skills and will therefore be looking for indications of potential that can be developed, a level of achievement on one's own that shows effort and interest, and character. Others want you to already be at a high level. It's actually both interesting and helpful to see the portfolios and know which schools accepted them as entry level.

Given the poor state of traditional skill based art education , and the fact that only an elite can afford special programs for pre-college training, why wouldn't people be anxious for this info? .(Then there are individuals who somehow have managed to teach themselves by using books, copying masters etc. Some people are better able to do this than others.)

How can it not be valid, if you are in the midst of applying to schools, to want to know just how good you have to be to have a chance of acceptance?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nobody is taking this thread ultra seriously.
    We are simply curious, like others have pointed out, as to where we stand in relation to our peers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can sorta see Whizbang's argument here. As a working professional I look at other people's work all the time- from peers to colleagues to classical art, but solely as reference. If I looked at it with the rationale of "I've gotta be a better painter than Brad Holland (or insert some other famous illustrator here)" then it's for the wrong reasons. I should want to be a better illustrator regardless of who's out there. I can't be Brad Holland, nor should I want to ape his style so closely that I get accused of plagiarism- but looking at any illustrator (whether they be students or working professionals) I should still be able to glean something from them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The problem here is, we're not talking about full-fledged illustrators. We are talking about mostly high-school kids who want to get into an illustration program to become illustrators. It is a long process and no school (with some exceptions) is expecting its entrants to be professionals when they enter. The point is to get into the school, and to get in you have to know where you stand in relation to other people.
    If someone barely got into the program, the next person behind them needs to look at that portfolio, see where they went wrong, and quickly correct those mistakes to help their chances.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RyerOrdStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    post your gd portfolios already!

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matsign For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It really would be interesting to see portfolios!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxine Schacker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've split most of the off-topic discussion off here.
    And will continue to do so.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since it was moved here is my portfolio again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not accepted yet, but here are a few pieces from my portfolio. I've applied to RISD early decision, and am going to apply to PAFA and SVA. I'm also considering AAU, but theirs is less of an application process than filling out forms and paying money. I did their pre-college program last summer, though.

http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ingroomhl6.jpg
    http://img354.imageshack.us/my.php?image=figurenr6.jpg
    http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=basketgj7.jpg
    http://img381.imageshack.us/my.php?image=figure1hk8.jpg
    http://img381.imageshack.us/my.php?image=juliali1.jpg
    http://img367.imageshack.us/my.php?i...drawingqs5.jpg
    http://img116.imageshack.us/my.php?image=oldmanag2.jpg
    http://img212.imageshack.us/my.php?image=teapotve9.jpg

There's more, but those are some of the highlights. For those interested, my GPA stands at about 3.3, without additional weighting for honors and AP courses. Literature and Art History are secondary passions, but math and science don't make much sense to me, and that's reflected in my grades. Hopefully my portfolio will be enough to carry me through.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, Julien. Some of those imageshack links aren't working, why not attach everything here?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Julien N. View Post
    Hopefully my portfolio will be enough to carry me through.
    I certainly hope so, you're portfolio is quite nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Julien N. View Post
    Not accepted yet, but here are a few pieces from my portfolio. I've applied to RISD early decision, and am going to apply to PAFA and SVA. I'm also considering AAU, but theirs is less of an application process than filling out forms and paying money. I did their pre-college program last summer, though.

http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ingroomhl6.jpg
    http://img354.imageshack.us/my.php?image=figurenr6.jpg
    http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=basketgj7.jpg
    http://img381.imageshack.us/my.php?image=figure1hk8.jpg
    http://img381.imageshack.us/my.php?image=juliali1.jpg
    http://img367.imageshack.us/my.php?i...drawingqs5.jpg
    http://img116.imageshack.us/my.php?image=oldmanag2.jpg
    http://img212.imageshack.us/my.php?image=teapotve9.jpg

There's more, but those are some of the highlights. For those interested, my GPA stands at about 3.3, without additional weighting for honors and AP courses. Literature and Art History are secondary passions, but math and science don't make much sense to me, and that's reflected in my grades. Hopefully my portfolio will be enough to carry me through.
    Wow, Julien, your portfolio is very nice, what major are you going to... major in ? I wish you were going to Ringling.

Look, Iam diet drama, want to spend tha night dont bring pajamas, man there's so much heat beneath clothes, you see me !

JesArt Sketchbook, go have a gander..

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110233

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Tristan. I'll reupload everything tomorrow. I was going to, but then it asked me for a thousand questions and I kind of gave up. :p

And thank you lowercase and JesArt. I think I'm going to major in either illustration or painting, but most likely illustration. I'm attracted to fine arts, but illustration programs seem to be much, much stronger, and I figure once I'm out of school I can decide which area to focus on. I haven't looked into Ringling much, do you go there?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can see why ur into illustration or painting. These are really good julien. keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For those interested, my GPA stands at about 3.3, without additional weighting for honors and AP courses
    Most art schools require a GPA of 2.0 or higher. You have nada to worry about. Your work shows a great amount of observational skill and I think that you will definitely get accepted to SVA (mainly because I am very familiar with that school, so I know)
    Good luck to you!!

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 193