Accepted Portfolios? - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Accepted Portfolios?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin. View Post
    o_O did you go to MSA? Sounds exactly the same...
    MSA?... what? I guess not...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Public high school with an 'arts' focus in central florida, a little bit south of tampa.. we had almost the exact same scenario, one of the best art teachers got transferred to an elementary school, lots of graphic design courses, jewelry courses, etc..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, I didn't go there. I went to school across the street from universal studios in good ole o-town. I sorry to hear that the same thing is happening at other schools too... Too many people in schools and leadership care more about numbers and scores than the arts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's slowly becoming a world-wide thing, then again, the art programs are usually looked down upon at most places in America in the first place. The world wants you to be a "jack-of-all-trades" rather than specialize in one thing, especially the arts.

Over here in Michigan, my old high school is slowly getting rid of all of the art programs; music, dance, and theater included.
    What was once a large string program has now been reduced to a single class composed of beginners and advanced students.
    Band classes are slowly being reduced to marching band, freshmen class, intermediate, and college level. All the music classes are also taught by the same two teachers, by the way.
    Drawing/Art classes have taken a large hit, loosing 2-3 teachers, and several drawing and advanced classes. Luckily, there's still AP Art. Computer Art 1 and Photography are now one class.
    There are only...maybe 2-3 dance classes.
    I think only two theater classes.

This all happened last year too.
    BUT.
    The school didn't get rid of the classes to save money.
    Instead, they replaced them all with math and science classes. They're mostly just extra classes for kids who are to smart for the easy classes but to dumb for the normal&advanced classes. Instead of 4 years of math, you're required to take two years of two math classes. And I think the extra science classes are just general biology and such.

It's a sad world. D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all for sharing all of this. Unfortunately it's been this way for a very long time. However, you are all very lucky to have the internet and access to so much information. When I was young it was a treasure hunt. I'm so impressed by your dedication, passion and hard work! It also gives me great pleasure to see real quality in so much of the work.

The best of luck to all of you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's so awesome seeing other people's portfolios, really good idea making this thread! I have not actually seen anyone else's actual portfolio yet but I can now see mine is not all that good. There's a decent art college in my city called ACAD which held a day where you could bring in your portfolio and have it reviews for admission in person. Of course I went and waited in line for a few hours.

I was quite surprised how the lady really liked my portfolio and I was in on the spot o.o I did not feel it was enough to get an amazing scholarship for a high-end school so I decided I would go to school here for a year and see how I feel! Though at same time I was unsure what I am interested in at this time. Though the one that I look up to and "want to be like" is Makoto Shinkai, when I saw his movies they were a live changing experience. His backgrounds are so beautiful... Hey if you would like check out his first OVA he made by himself She and Her Cat
    I am exited to meet people like you in the fall, I have no art friends! T__T

*Edit* What's this Ringling school I frequently here about on this site haha! No matter I better start concussing on something soon, one thing I see in your portfolios which I don't see in mine is consistency. Oh my I better have something good by end of next year after seeing these I realized I have alot of compitition! (Duh)

Attached Images Attached Images                            
    Last edited by Menasha-ashd; July 4th, 2008 at 03:58 AM.

Danuh is offline best taken with a pillar of salt. Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a questions for Lizzybeth (I hope it isn't too late to post this) - You say you got into Calarts and was offered the Disney Scholarship. Did you apply to that separately or did they offer that to you based on just what you sent?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was just based on what I sent in. I didn't apply for any awards from the schools. Just sent in my application for admission and filed my fafsa on time and everything else showed up in my award packages.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In regards to Mayumi's (beautiful) portfolio, is it really possible to do cutouts? I can't fully understand how her portfolio is arranged but it seems as if there are cut outs on top of a black background (paper I think?). So is it pasted on or what? I would love to show that much diversity in my portfolio, but is that acceptable at all or is it just unique in Mayumi's case?

(Referring to Page 1, post #26, user: mayumi-chan)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow this thread is great.

i cant believe i'm seeing such high calibre of work for portfolios O__O

now i feel very nervous haha.`

Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    (on the topic of ART) She's a demanding bitch that wants ALL your time and gets angry and pulls away if you even LOOK at another creative endeavor! "What, I'm not GOOD enough for you now? hm? well guess what, BAM! now try to draw without me, ya bastard!"
    HELLO SKETCHBOOK.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Menasha-ashd View Post
    *Edit* What's this Ringling school I frequently here about on this site haha!
    It's pretty undisputably the best computer animation school in the country, and one of the best for illustration. Also, one of this sites founders went there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Moar Plz

iven is offline Animator/ Eco-artist/ Caricaturist Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Looking for BAA- Aniamtion

Hi eromenos what a very goood idea !!!

I am looking for some Portfolios from Students they´re in Sheridan College

I will apply for Bacheloar of Applied Arts - Animation.

I am really curious about some work from Animation Student´s
    I am also looking for some advice in my Critique center Thread,...

Last edited by iven; August 15th, 2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: wrong button
    Sketchbook - . Showreal - . Commission me - .

*critique* advice* help full links, is appreciated*

iven is offline Animator/ Eco-artist/ Caricaturist Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink Sheridan Portfolio examples

Hi there, I found something very goooood

http://sheridananimation.blogspot.com/

I guess I am the only one here how´s applying for Animation

Hi Miss. Schacker: I did a correspondence course in caricature, paid by my Mom
    and by Friends of my Grand Ma, my stuff looks more Cartoonisch I never liked
    Real life drawing until I realize that the schools want to see that stuff.

I have a question to everybody here:

Would you see my web site also as a Portfolio, I think my website show´s
    the why I am Creating and where I have my strengths !

I would love if you take some time to get lost in there to understand my
    question, tell me if you found my Movies and Photos Illust,...I am curious
    if you find my Navigation simple or not, oh if something is flying around press it !!

Last edited by iven; August 15th, 2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: adding something

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was an ingenious idea for a thread! Before I registered to be a user here (this morning lol) I was browsing around the forums looking for something just like this and it seems I hit the jackpot

Anyways, I'm blown away by the amazing work on here! I guess I shouldnt be surprised though But now I have a pretty good idea of how good my work should be if I want to up my chances of getting into a good art college... maybe even possibly get a good scholarship (haha we'll see). I actually took my first ever drawing classes during this summer at a pre-college program which definitely helped me out a lot.

I havent submitted a portfolio into any schools yet, but I thought I'd just post some of my work that's likely to be in my portfolio. All my work is done in pencil so nothing amazingly unique I guess. I also have several animations compiled into one video which I'll probably put onto Youtube soon. But yea... I'll put these up in the order that I completed them in, starting with the one I did in May.

Oh... and I really should figure out how to make these images smaller. I guess you can just right click and "view image" to get a more overall view...sorry about that.

Hand rabbit...

A scary man...

A thuggish lookin guy. I kinda screwed up on the eyes though...

Just practicing doing different eyes. Did a partial face at the bottom. Not really a finished piece.

I really enjoyed making this one. Probably my first big step out of the norm...

I drew this from a photograph I found on google. I'm guessing it's a Got Milk guy lol

This is just my own character design. I'd love trying to animate this guy's clothes and hair blowing in the wind.

And last but not least... this lonely/sad/depressed girl I drew. I dont normally draw females so I thought I'd give it a go. I just started and finished this one today actually. This was drawn from my head... no model or photo or anything.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jackpot_anjr90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well.. this is what I intend to submit for Ringling and SVA. I probably won't be able to afford it but it's worth a shot.. Anyways it's not accepted but at the very least it will some people what "not to do".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well.. this is what I intend to submit for Ringling and SVA
    Is this a School for Illustration, Animation,...?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I can get accepted into any one of those depts. I would be honored. I think I would like to go into computer animation though. I feel my drawings have all lead me towards that direction. I want to learn something new.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Portfolio Workshop

I think about this offer from the http://www.portfolioworkshop.com/

Does here anybody already joined the Prog. or my be there are some other offers for Portfolio Workshops.

Could you tell me something about this Portfolio Workshop.

I´ll apply for BAA- Animation for 2009

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work MCM! What did you use to make that artwork?
    Any critiques on my stuff? =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I have been kicking it old school and just using a plain old mechanical bic pencil.. I was trying to get back to the days when I was staring out the window and daydreaming in high school. The digital images are inked and then vectorized and colored with illustrator. The little framed ones are from my Senior Show for my Bachelors.They are mechanical pencil on old paper I tear out of books from the 1800's. They are 2.5 x 3 inch miniatures. They are smaller than what you see on the screen. I bought a bunch of old tin type cases and used them as frames. The doll and dog guy things are charcoal backgrounds and then I inked and then printed it on transparencies. Then I used acrylic paint and colored them in.. Just like an old school 2-d film. I'll be happy to check out your stuff and pm you what I think..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Iven,

The first year of all Max the Mutt diploma programs offers the strongest basic training in representational art skills that I've seen.

I do know Gerard and Vince very well (in fact, they both taught at Max the Mutt) and they are serious professionals: I'm sure their portfolio workshops will teach basics of life drawing, perspective and whatever else you'd need for portfolio. Since your aunt lives in Toronto, this is a real option for you.

Good luck in your search for the right program for you!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxine Schacker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In response to Sleep_Eden_sleep's post:

Indeed those are cutouts, pasted via spray-on-glue to the black papers that come in the plastic portfolio sheets. I can't really say if it's acceptable for all schools though. Calarts didn't seem to mind

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mayumi-chan View Post
    In response to Sleep_Eden_sleep's post:

Indeed those are cutouts, pasted via spray-on-glue to the black papers that come in the plastic portfolio sheets. I can't really say if it's acceptable for all schools though. Calarts didn't seem to mind
    Thanks Mayumi! I never really seen a portfolio physically but after seeing one in person I know what you mean. I might do that too. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd just like to say this is a great post and thanks to everyone who has posted their successful portfolios. It has really given me a good idea of what is expected when i apply later this year.

Toxdel is offline Yes, yes i do own a bar of soap Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you guys so much for these posts. I was feeling somewhat confident with what I have for my 2009 portfolio so far; but not anymore I needed a good kick in the ass early on. I'm going for probably Ringling, SCAD, and Calarts in either Game Art or Illustration. Ringling would be my top choice; it depends on what (if any) scholarships I can get though. God I love CA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is an awesome thread! As a likely transfer student to Ringling, this gives me a good idea of the kind of portforlios other students are sending in. does anyone know of scholarships that they give to transfer students? I'm currently working a full time job while at the same time going to school full time at a community college for the next year or so to pay off my first year at Ringling. I'll be an older freshman at Ringling with three years of college already under my belt once i get there.

Here is a link to my thread at the Finished section, this will give you an idea of where my level is and if it is worthy enough to get in
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=134330

Also for those who have gotten scholarships, if it is not too personal, did you also have high GPA's or were from a low income household. I know when i tried for scholarships in high school, i had an average GPA and was from a middle class high school, so i had little support except from my portfolio.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Equality, you portfolio looks nice, you shouldn't have an issue getting in, but don't stop pushing yourself! Personal growth is what it's all about.

As for me I had a really high gpa, and test scores and all that and came from a middle income household. After three years in college though, I'm sure Ringling is going to be much more interested in your recent grades.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im hoping i can get in Ringling CA with my portfolio. (sketchbook, older posts)
    Both deans i talked to said i shouldnt have problems. aah hope i make it!!

Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do 3d artists make more money than concept artists....not that it makes a difference but it would be nice to know

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 231