Accepted Portfolios? - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Accepted Portfolios?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got in at Ringling for CA for fall 2008. Here's my portfolio. Oh, and...yeah, you need to be pretty intense to get the presidential scholarship. I was wondering who got it for 2008, awesome stuff lizzybeth, everyone actually o.0 I'm surprised I got in. Hope they're not pulling my chain...*must get better*

Attached Images Attached Images                                
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice portfolio, My favorite ones are the frog and the 3rd to last one.
    When i apply im not going to anticipate on getting any scholarships but if i do i would be happy. im more focused on just getting in. Actually this week im focused on passing my required regents exams or i wont be going to art school lol

Last edited by bklyndude326; June 18th, 2008 at 03:43 PM.
    My portfolio **crosses fingers**

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope.. I get in +_+ I have so much to improve on, and since my parents aren't paying for college.. i really need a scholarship +_+

Sketchbook Support Group:
    Hapun | Eerin | Eromenos

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That's some amazing figure work Mayumi.

Anyways, here's my application portfolio to RISD (actually the second time I applied... turned 'em down the first time). Transferring in as a sophomore in Illustration. Leaving in two days, actually. Oh, and they gave me about $20k in scholarship money. It's the only way I could go--art school is darn expensive.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=107012

Most of what's in there help get me into Ringling for Illustration for this year. Some of the realistic ones I had, the figure drawings, were removed by request of my family members. *sigh* Stupid happenings...

Sketchbook~Any comments much appreciated

Also known as Magamish, not to mention countless other "Maga" variants. It's an addiction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirana View Post
    NEVER, never, never, never send in originals. NEVER. Most college sites will even state that in their submission guidelines as well as the usual disclaimer: "Portfolio materials cannot be returned." Too expensive to ship, too easy to get damaged or lost, can't send to more than one college, etc.

You can scan small pieces and photograph large ones (outdoor light, sheet used as a background--or you can pay to have it done). Schools will generally give specific instructions on the types of portfolios you can send, and those will include: CD/DVD (as files or presentation in PowerPoint, Flash, HTML, etc.), slides, demo reels (DVD/VHS). Look up the ones you're interested in and see what instructions they provide.
    well actually, calarts requests originals for character animation. i do agree though, most schools prefer you send cds or slides.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kind of weird for me to look at this work, seems so long ago. I was interested in a very different kind of thing back then, more theoretical interested in packaging, design, interactivity, all the portraits are done from yearbooks and the like. And actually at the time I had no intention of going to art school because of the cost and I wasn't very good in traditional practice, I was planning on becoming an electrician like my dad but had some teachers that pushed me to submit to a couple of places.

The little boxes (all 88 of them) are converted tic-tac boxes with portraits, text that spools from the little tabbed slot. Then there's the dimebag portraits, did around 300 or so of those at the time, a lot of the backgrounds for them are cut from my photos or screenprints. The business man set, the portraits are stickers, little charts, a tiny office instruction manual and little handbuilt clay office worker. Other misc. stuff, if you're curious just ask...

Anyway. I used this stuff and some other images I can't track down right now in anything but slide form to apply to the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and the School of the Museum of Fine Arts Boston in 2005. They are both very theoretical experimental leaning schools without much in the way of traditional practice, which is what I was interested in at the time art wise. I received a full scholarship to Chicago and used that to leverage the 3/4 scholarship at Boston to a full one.

Then I discovered Conceptart.org and Wes Burt and el coro and the like and realized how far I was from what I realized I wanted to do but didn't feel I could. I was disillusioned with the School of the Museum of Fine Arts and left for a semester, went to a state school in Minnesota for industrial technology and didn't plan on studying art anymore. I realized even if the Boston school wasn't quite the right fit for my new plans, I could make it work.... so I returned and have been trying to do that since. Sorry for the lengthy post, but I felt I had some explaining to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good story. cool stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great idea for a thread. Haha I remember the first time I saw sinfulsaint's portfolio, I was just happy we weren't applying to the same school! lol

Here's my old folio http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76150 used it to apply to USC for animation, got full scholarship. However, I'm trying to get out of SC, and transfer to Art Center for Illustration, or Laguna for Drawing
    and Painting, hopefully with some sort of scholarship.These are the first pieces I'm considering so far, hope to produce much better stuff this summer.

More at http://highonturpentine.blogspot.com/search/label/Ramon

EDIT: Images weren't showing up before

Last edited by Ramon Hurtado; June 21st, 2008 at 05:25 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ramon Hurtado For This Useful Post:

Danuh is offline best taken with a pillar of salt. Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah that's what I was worrying about with the Calarts requirements for sending originals. I figured what I'd do was send them the originals and then send everyone else a CD (or prints, because I think Pratt requires that...). Hmmm. Thanks for the info, again *labors on portfolio drawings*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by edds_bestfriend View Post
    well actually, calarts requests originals for character animation. i do agree though, most schools prefer you send cds or slides.
    However, for every other major they state "do not send originals" and do provide for prospective animation students to send in slides instead. It makes no sense for them to request originals when the work they're asking for is the same as what they ask of other visual majors (obsevational, etc). I would not send an original portfolio unless I'd called to confirm their return policy (and length of time it takes) and/or was physically present at the portfolio review. Not that these pieces will mean a whole lot to you a yr from now, but for the time that you are submitting portfolios they can be crucial.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1340850195

I applied to RISD, Ringling, Parsons, Pratt, SVA, MICA, and Cornell as an incoming freshman for the 2008 fall semester. I was accepted into all of them, and was lucky enough to get scholarships from each of them too.

I think my portfolio was okay (it was crying for some figure drawing X__X; ) but could have been so much better. Overall, I think my portfolio was the main factor in my admittance. But a high GPA + financial need really helped out with the scholarships too.

Oh and I'm planning on going into illustration after foundation year at RISD, so that should be fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Odyism you're really good +_+ Your really good with folds and portraits. SOOOO JEALOUS XD

Sketchbook Support Group:
    Hapun | Eerin | Eromenos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got into RISD, LCAD (16k scholarship), MICA (60k), and UCLA Design|Media Arts (full tuition for freshman year; living expenses not considered). But of course, having a high GPA didn't hurt. I'm heading to AAU for Illustration.

These are some of the art pieces I submitted (I also sent UCLA a short animation clip I made in RISD Pre-College). My portfolio did vary somewhat with every school.

SSG Buddies
    Eerin | Hapun | Eromenos

Blog

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Eerin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Art Center College of Design, Entertainment Major for Fall 2008

This is as much in the right order as I can remember. The pieces that say "internship" are copyright Spacetime Studios LLC, by the way. There is 1 missing that I am not allowed to post due to NDA, but it's nothing spectacular.

I'm not terribly proud of the folio, I wish I had more time to work on it, I had about 6 other pages that I just couldn't finish in time for the deadline, so those are absent as well =\

Last edited by Justin.; April 26th, 2010 at 07:30 PM.

19. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Justin. For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got accepted aswell.

Entertainment Design at Art Center:

accepted Portfolio

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr.Bigdick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving your portfolio, Justin. Very professional presentation as well. Do I sense some subtle StarFox references?

Last edited by thesinfulsaint; June 27th, 2008 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no, not at all. I wish people wouldn't say that, as both characters tie into the story. There is a fox in the story (thus the fox), and because the setting is in the Sky, I figured a bird hero would be appropriate. It just happens to be sci-fi, too. I'm not angry at you- just alot of people have been saying that who don't know the context. Although a starfox redesign sounds pretty cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just got the letter, I did get scholarship!

Last edited by Justin.; May 20th, 2011 at 02:34 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    /////

Last edited by Gabriele; September 7th, 2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: delete post

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haaa...

People's portfolios here are too awesome...

Need to get better...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry Justin, didn't mean to offend. Congrats on the scholarship!

Everyone's work is looking crazy awesome.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to thesinfulsaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the general population of high school students who are planning to apply to some of these schools it would be very interesting to know where you studied and how you developed your skills. Did you go to publicly funded general high schools, special art high schools, or private schools? Did you attend paid pre-college programs to get a leg up? During the school year did you take private classes?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thesinfulsaint View Post
    Great idea!

I'm entering my sophomore year as a Computer Animation major at Ringling, and I got the annual presidential scholarship for $10k going in my freshman year (fall of 2007). Here's the portfolio I submitted.
    FUCK! that is GOOD! i mean... damn... you... you just... you go on with your bad self!

....... DAMN! good ::faints::

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the general population of high school students who are planning to apply to some of these schools it would be very interesting to know where you studied and how you developed your skills. Did you go to publicly funded general high schools, special art high schools, or private schools? Did you attend paid pre-college programs to get a leg up? During the school year did you take private classes?
    You don't need to go anywhere special... Most of the applicants I have talked to just worked really really hard, no private lessons or anything. All it takes is good work ethic.. like learning to ride a bicycle. A really, really difficult bicycle.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The people who show life drawing at a developed level definitely went somewhere to draw from the model, and it looks as if they've received instruction. It would be interesting if they would comment...and good for you if you are completely self taught. The work ethic is necessary of course no matter what path you follow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok. I'll just stay for the:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxine Schacker View Post
    I went to a large public high school with a visual and performing arts magnet which included music, dance, tv production, theater, and of course, art, which I was in for four years. Unfortunately that really didn't boil down to much in the years that I was there. Right before I came in as a freshman the drawing teacher was transferred to an elementary school, probably for budget reasons, and the jewelry teacher had to take over a lot of the classes and it didn't really work out too well to say the least. The ceramics teacher left, and soon after that the ap studio teacher left as well to go to another school, and they didn't replace her either. Needless to say, my classmates and I received next to no instruction in painting and drawing for our four years there. Our biggest assets in all this was our sincere interest in out, each other, and an hour of studio time each day. Other classes like ceramics and three years of graphic arts were pretty good though, especially for broadening our horizons and overall growth. Personally I haven't taken any private classes unless you count one week of art camp back in the seventh grade, and the only pre-college I went to was a state funded math/science one, although I must confess I skipped out on a few lunches to go throw pots at the university's art center. After I found out that figure drawing was of such huge importance for applying to CalArts I started going to weekly figure drawing sessions at Creald School of Art last September to improve as much as I could and rapidly build up a body of work before that oh so close deadline. These were just sessions with a model, no instruction whatsoever was provided.

My skills have developed from years of drawing and observation since I was a little kid, as I've always been into drawing, and from years of occasional tid bits I was lucky enough to pick up in class, skimming books, looking through tutorials, reading forums like concept art, and from peer feedback on forums and in person.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't go to an art high school--just a public high school with a very crappy art program. To this day the program bothers me; I missed my own senior show because it was scheduled at a time when my portfolio was competing in a scholarship competition that was supposedly for the tri-county area. I won that scholarship, so I guess that shows them a thing or two.

I found out about Ringling during my junior year during some hefty research about animation schools. After finding out about Ringling, I set out to find a good pre-college program. I wound up going to CCAD, and that's where all of the life drawings (my first time life drawing ever, actually), the collage self portrait, and the teapot painting in my portfolio came from. After that was over, I just set my mind to making a really good portfolio because I knew that I couldn't go to Ringling unless I got a scholarship.

Haha... Thank you kauser.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzybeth View Post
    I went to a large public high school with a visual and performing arts magnet which included music, dance, tv production, theater, and of course, art, which I was in for four years. Unfortunately that really didn't boil down to much in the years that I was there. Right before I came in as a freshman the drawing teacher was transferred to an elementary school, probably for budget reasons, and the jewelry teacher had to take over a lot of the classes and it didn't really work out too well to say the least. The ceramics teacher left, and soon after that the ap studio teacher left as well to go to another school, and they didn't replace her either. Needless to say, my classmates and I received next to no instruction in painting and drawing for our four years there. Our biggest assets in all this was our sincere interest in out, each other, and an hour of studio time each day. Other classes like ceramics and three years of graphic arts were pretty good though, especially for broadening our horizons and overall growth. Personally I haven't taken any private classes unless you count one week of art camp back in the seventh grade, and the only pre-college I went to was a state funded math/science one, although I must confess I skipped out on a few lunches to go throw pots at the university's art center. After I found out that figure drawing was of such huge importance for applying to CalArts I started going to weekly figure drawing sessions at Creald School of Art last September to improve as much as I could and rapidly build up a body of work before that oh so close deadline. These were just sessions with a model, no instruction whatsoever was provided.

My skills have developed from years of drawing and observation since I was a little kid, as I've always been into drawing, and from years of occasional tid bits I was lucky enough to pick up in class, skimming books, looking through tutorials, reading forums like concept art, and from peer feedback on forums and in person.
    o_O did you go to MSA? Sounds exactly the same...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 231