Accepted Portfolios? - Page 11
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikie View Post

SUPERUPDATE: Ok, lots has happened lol. Full rides from RISD, Art Center (EEEE!), and OCAC! Still waiting to hear back on scholarship from MICA and Ringling. I'm most likely going to Art Center though, because they gave me a lil more than full, so I can afford an apartment! and they are my top school /cry
    WAT. Full ride to RISD and Art Center? I thought their biggest scholarship was 50% a year, for one person. WTF. Was it your portfolio, or GPA, or are you really in financial need (aka basically qualifying for food stamps level of financial status)?

BLAHBLAHBLAH
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was wondering the same thing. From what I've heard, RISD will offer up to 38 k per year scholarship wise excluding grants. Estimated tuition with room and board (personal expenses and activity fee) is 53 k. Congratulations!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello! haha, I just made an account here to post in this thread.
    I've been stalking this thread for like a year now, and seeing everyone's artwork really inspired me!! (and man, i'm just blown away at how talented everyone is!) so now that I've actually applied to art schools myself, I figured I might as well post my own portfolio.

I applied (and was accepted) to MICA, SVA, MassArt, Emily Carr, SCAD, and CCAD. I got 12k/year from MICA, 10k/year from Massart, 4k/year from Emily Carr, 19k/year from SCAD, and 11k/year from CCAD. Not sure which college I'll end up attending though!

anyway, here's the portfolio I submitted! click the thumbnails to see the images full size. c:

Last edited by Azeline; April 14th, 2012 at 12:54 AM.
    art blog: azaline.tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikie View Post
    SUPERUPDATE: Ok, lots has happened lol. Full rides from RISD, Art Center (EEEE!), and OCAC! Still waiting to hear back on scholarship from MICA and Ringling. I'm most likely going to Art Center though, because they gave me a lil more than full, so I can afford an apartment! and they are my top school /cry
    Hi Spikie
    Congratulations on your acceptances to those amazing art schools. Being someone in my situation, I would die to study at Art Center with a scholarship. You will know what I mean if you read my thread:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=239652

I am clueless when it comes to how to get accepted to art schools and I was wondering, is it just the portfolio and the GPA that they take into account or do they also consider age, financial status and other things when offering scholarships?

Thank you very much

PS: I will really appreciate if other fellow members can share their knowledge on this with me as well as Spikie. You can post here, PM me or post your answers in my thread whichever you like. Thank you so much

Last edited by pipboy; April 7th, 2012 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! I'd thought I'd put my portfolio in here because CA has been so helpful these past months! Anyways I ended up applying to SCAD, RISD, CCA, USC, MICA, CCAD, Ringling CA, and MassArt. I received 18k per year from SCAD, 34k for next year from RISD and 5k for next year from Ringling (these appear renewable and if so then 136k and 20k if that is the case), 5k per year from MICA at the moment from academics, full tuition at MassArt, half tuition at USC for animation, 13k per year from CCA, and 13k per year at CCAD. I don't know where I'm going, but it will probably be either USC, CCAD, RISD, or MassArt at the moment.

I sent different portfolios to diff schools (ie more observational work to Ringling than CCAD) but these are the pieces I most commonly used.

and Spikie, on your question, schools like RISD and Ringling will take in financial need in account along with merit. This is why you only receive scholarships on your financial aid statement. Other schools may give you a certain degree of merit aid and another scholarship factoring in need (CCA gave me 13k a year but added on 6k on my financial aid statement from need) Most scholarships are for incoming undergrads from highschool but there are a lot of transfer, in-school, and graduate level scholarships at schools.

And schools do consider more than your GPA and portfolio. I've been involved in numerous ECs and done a good deal of service work, and a lot of schools look at stuff like this for scholarships. Not all of them though. And some do take in SAT or ACT scores in account for scholarship too. Others like Ringling, won't even require them. And if you have been involved in Scholastic Art Awards or a Governor's Show, schools will give money for that as well. And judging by your work, I hope you did, because you would have done well at those

Sorry for rambling, but here is my portfolio. I've never attached photos by link so we'll see if this works. If it doesn't I'll come back later and fix it.

Attached Images Attached Images                                  
    Last edited by ifemora; April 7th, 2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: fixing pictures

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing work. This portflio will get you to your places my friend xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SCAD doesn't require a portfolio to get accepted. However, I got a 20k art scholarship from them. I intend to appeal it and submit another one with even better work.

http://thegeekling.wordpress.com/201...io-submission/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I recently got accepted into Reykjavík's School of Art (Myndlistaskólinn í Reykjavík), the department is a mix of Fine arts and Illustration (Teikning).

It might not have the same high standard as some of the schools in the US but hopefully this will be helpful for someone

Here are most of the artworks I submitted, I also submitted a sketchbook and a comic of mine http://www.uncommoncomic.com.
    By each picture in the portfolio there was a text including the idea of the work, media, if it was personal or school work and so on. I got this printed in a white hardcover book.

Does the walker choose the path or the path choose the walker?

Sketchbook

Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, this is kind of late, sorry for leaving you hanging with those questions. Each school takes different things into account, but I did have a pretty good GPA (a 5.3 weighted) so that helped a lot, I think. The most important thing that I can't stress enough is to talk to the reps, as theyre the ones fighting for you when it's time to give scholarship. email them with questions, send them some pieces you working on, ask for critiques, it all helps a lot. Also, get to National Portfolio day, it's super important! Meeting with them in person after having that email correspondance is great. Also, something else that will give you a big advantage is having a ton of work and having really good concepts, which is something you kind of need to figure out on your own. I advise making your work personal, as that tends to create good results for people around our skill level.

thanks, and I hope this helped!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So far I've been accepted to Art Center, SVA and SCAD -- waiting on RISD.

edit: Art Center has awarded me 15,000$ a year and SCAD has awarded 5,000$.

edit2: accepted to SVA, no scholarship.

My college GPA is 2.8 and my EFC is around 30,400 (and I won't be seeing any financial help from family since my widowed mom is saving for retirement). Boo won't be able to go anywhere probably due to financial reasons but it was worth seeing if I could accepted with my crappy stats.

I'm also happy to see Art Center basically upgraded my scholarship from 1/8th the tuition to basically half. Still can't go .

Last edited by Deadlyhazard; February 6th, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all, here is my portfolio! I got accepted on Canterbury Christ Church University in England, on Fine Arts course. I know fine arts are not exactly the illustration or concept art but I am trying to learn them these terms right now

Anyway here is my portfolio that got accepted:

http://jurcolart.blogspot.sk/?view=sidebar

I hope you like it and pls post a lot of crits! Thx guys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nobody who got accepted into The Art Department want to share the portfolios they sent in?

I've been looking all over for portfolios from people who have applied and got accepted (or rejected!) and if they got a scholarship. So, any brave souls out there? Or am I looking in the wrong place? I've spent hours scouring through the forums and I haven't found anything

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was accepted ED to RISD with a $36,500/yr scholarship but a total award of roughly $50,000/yr. I have a 4.6 GPA (out of 4.7), and I also attended their pre-college program last summer which seriously does help your chances of being admitted, especially if you arrange to have your portfolio reviewed by an admissions officer (this one-on-one review is only available to pre-college students). Spikie is completely right in saying that you need to have some correspondence with admissions officers. They are the ones that are deciding whether or not to admit you, after all.

I was accepted to SVA, no scholarship, and Pratt (not sure if I received a scholarship) but I had to withdraw my applications anyway haha

This is most of my RISD portfolio below (it was a little different from my Pratt and SVA submissions). I don't have my bike drawing nor my other home test to show you all, sorry. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Name:  2WPCoverFinal2.png
Views: 5166
Size:  186.2 KBName:  18.jpg
Views: 5165
Size:  235.4 KBName:  AnythingGoes.png
Views: 5145
Size:  162.3 KBName:  Bust.png
Views: 5134
Size:  325.0 KBName:  Buying Love.png
Views: 5115
Size:  176.1 KBName:  Drapery.png
Views: 5096
Size:  218.2 KBName:  FoxMask.jpg
Views: 5085
Size:  184.7 KBName:  HiddenMagic.png
Views: 5076
Size:  182.7 KBName:  HowlCombined.png
Views: 5057
Size:  217.9 KBName:  LiveModelFigure1.png
Views: 5031
Size:  115.1 KBName:  Port Town.png
Views: 5027
Size:  187.7 KBName:  SelfPortrait.png
Views: 5023
Size:  272.8 KBName:  The Wind Waker.png
Views: 5020
Size:  216.4 KBName:  trompeloiel.png
Views: 5008
Size:  198.6 KBName:  Unmasked.jpg
Views: 4997
Size:  159.5 KBName:  White Phoenix Character Concepts.png
Views: 5011
Size:  311.9 KBName:  White Phoenix Character Process.png
Views: 4999
Size:  116.5 KBName:  gestures.png
Views: 4970
Size:  116.4 KB

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to l'Aria For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Er... this is long

Hi guys, this is my first post here... I've been lurking for a long time, but I always felt this thread needed more in it. Now I can finally contribute!

I applied to RISD, MICA and SVA, all early decision for fall 2013.

I was accepted into RISD with a 33k/yr scholarship. RISD bases much of their award on financial need, unless you get one of the 10k/yr awards, which are based purely on merit. I also applied to MICA and was offered 16.5k/yr (Academic Achievement + Institute Grant + Recognition Award), and SVA (accepted but no scholarship - I believe they offer a limited number of 15k/yr merit scholarships and that's it). Along with govt. grants I should be able to mostly cover the cost of attending RISD, so that's where I'm gonna go!

Name:  Alisha2.jpg
Views: 4344
Size:  261.2 KB
    Name:  SHOOPEDandrewback2.jpg
Views: 4352
Size:  297.9 KB
    Name:  SHOOPEDfredportrait.jpg
Views: 4347
Size:  276.8 KB
    Name:  SHOOPEDlinesback.jpg
Views: 4325
Size:  162.9 KB
    Name:  Scanunicooorn1.jpg
Views: 4333
Size:  339.6 KB
    Name:  Scanfredkent3.jpg
Views: 4311
Size:  133.1 KB
    Name:  Alisha3.jpg
Views: 4307
Size:  305.0 KB
    Name:  Hannah-seated.jpg
Views: 4282
Size:  65.9 KB
    Name:  Hannahreclinign.jpg
Views: 4287
Size:  109.4 KB
    Name:  peterbackscan.jpg
Views: 4301
Size:  247.2 KB
    Name:  tumblr_m7n2x5eRGV1r2rmsbo3_1280.jpg
Views: 4286
Size:  220.4 KB
    Name:  sketchbook50.jpg
Views: 4274
Size:  303.8 KB
    Name:  sketchbook70.jpg
Views: 4262
Size:  162.1 KB
    Name:  tree.jpg
Views: 4259
Size:  384.8 KB
    Name:  forest.jpg
Views: 4250
Size:  168.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_1793.jpg
Views: 4262
Size:  476.9 KB
    Name:  okkvlt-beanie.jpg
Views: 4237
Size:  76.7 KB
    Name:  thumbnail-skulls.jpg
Views: 4240
Size:  103.0 KB
    Name:  photo-(5).jpg
Views: 4253
Size:  260.4 KB

sketchbook pages for RISD:
    Name:  sketchbook45.jpg
Views: 4235
Size:  365.6 KB
    Name:  sketchbook41.jpg
Views: 4209
Size:  214.6 KB
    Name:  INSIDE_OUTSIDE.jpg
Views: 4194
Size:  190.7 KB

Some other [probably] relevant, long-winded information:

My family is in a fair bit of financial need. I've been living in NZ since I was 4, but I'm a dual NZ/US citizen, so I haven't applied as an international student. I suppose it's possible that schools distribute aid differently to international and domestic students?

I did well at High School. I attended a CIE (Cambridge International Exams) school down here in Auckland, NZ, and received As and A*s for everything throughout the years except A2 Maths w/ Statistics (B+, godammit.) I only took one art class in my 'senior'/last year, AS painting, which is usually a 'junior'/2nd year class, and received 100%. My paintings weren't good by my standards... but high school art examination boards, am I right?
    I can write a decent essay, too, which helps with an application. Remember, these schools aren't just looking at your portfolio. Your marks and essays can help a fair bit.

I graduated from High School in 2010, and took a gap year to think really hard about whether or not I actually wanted to go to [read: deal with paying for] art school. EVERYONE thinking about art school should check out that fantastic "The reality of going to art school" thread here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone, your works seem pretty amazing! Very helpful!
    Has anyone of you submitted any animated/motion work ?
    Thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! I'm Kristine. Last spring I applied for the Animation Workshop in Viborg, Denmark, for the bachelor program as computer graphics artist (there is also a character animation line, as well as a new graphics novel line).

I was accepted with this portfolio http://kriscrash.dk/2012/
    (some sexy stuff, but thumbnails should warn you)

Some advice I can give for applicants; if you're familiar with digital tools already, show it! Have a lot of stuff in colour, because it really sells. Show progress steps and research too. Having more than one work related to the same idea can give a sense of depth and coherency; for instance one of my environments relates to another character design, and is inside the same idea as the storyboard. Your ideas and personality are as important as your technical skills. For a more personal advice, I think you should be very honest in your portfolio. Don't try to be something you are not. I also took a big risk and added some sexy drawings of mine (I felt they were some of my best stuff and would feel bad for leaving them out), and I know it got mixed receptions, but ultimately it made a portfolio to remember, and an honest one too.
    I'm told I had a good structure in it as well, so I recommend to do some layouting and add more than just a picture filling up the page. This is a prime opportunity to show progress or write a few thoughts. I don't think I would have thought about layout if I hadn't designed the portfolio with printing in mind.
    At the interview, be very receptive to critique, and show your enthusiasm for learning new things.

It's a great school. They get the best teachers they can find, and they really look after their students here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone!
    Senior in high school who recently got accepted to MICA! They are the first college I've heard back from so far, still waiting to hear back from Calarts, USC, SCAD, Laguna, Woodsbury. I am aiming for a degree in Animation.
    I was first interested in MICA based on a private invitation to a scholarship from them. I'm not sure if this means a half-ride, full-ride or what, but due to complications with mailing in my info I'm still waiting to hear about what scholarship I get.
    Here is my portfolio (yes, it's for USC, but I used basically the same art for almost all of my applications): http://mjapplication.daportfolio.com/

Good luck on getting in to your schools! Hopefully I can return with news from Calarts and the others.

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by krisCrash View Post
    Hi! I'm Kristine. Last spring I applied for the Animation Workshop in Viborg, Denmark, for the bachelor program as computer graphics artist (there is also a character animation line, as well as a new graphics novel line).

I was accepted with this portfolio http://kriscrash.dk/2012/
    (some sexy stuff, but thumbnails should warn you)
    hi, that's some really quality work you've prepared for AWV (cough-cough @ mangina fingering piece tho)

have you been under some fulltime mentoring for 2012 portfolio?
    there's a great leap in quality compared to '11 one, I wonder if there're some structured short-time classes in Europe that offer this kind of training.

ty ~

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!

This probably isn't the perfect place for this but I'd really rather not start another thread for a single question. I'm planning on applying in 2014.

Anywho, can anyone tell me what the exact portfolio requirements for entrance into Entertainment Design at Art Center College of Design (ACCD) ?

From the looks of it, it seems it's essentially recreating the Skillful Huntsman artbook but with a story of choice. Is there are and official .pdf or a written description of what exactly the portolio requires?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hot.fish I have an example of a ED portfolio. I don't know how perfect it is but I got accepted for Fall '13 (today!wooo). Art Center has a description of what its asking for on its website. If you google "art center entertainment design portfolios" you'll find quite a few examples too. I saw someone recommend 40 pages so that's what I did.

--
    I got accepted to Art Center ED, Otis, and LCAD. I got 10k a year from LCAD, 12k a year from Otis and 14k from Art Center. I more or less submitted the same thing to Otis and LCAD.
    Here's some sample pages. LINK TO FULL PORTFOLIO

Last edited by skMOP; March 28th, 2013 at 07:31 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to skMOP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks!

Your portfolio looks amazing by the way. Congrats on getting in - you deserved it.

I thought ACCD would send a some sort of outline expecting what exactly they want to do after you apply (almost all the schools had a specific requirement like, "2 example of life drawings, 2 examples of perspective drawings") but I guess not

By the way, for submission through Slideroom, are there specific dimensions/resolutions they are looking for? Again, thanks.

Also, for anyone else looking for info on ED at ACCD here's the info on the website:

ENTERTAINMENT DESIGN
    The task of a concept designer for the entertainment industry is to be able to provide an infinite number of design variations of characters, environments, vehicles and props for stories taking place in the past, present or future.
    Your admissions portfolio should reflect this interest and provide an example of your current abilities towards this task. Include examples of your original design ideas created for a story of your invention or an existing story. Your main focus should be in the creation of original designs that are well communicated through drawings and renderings.
    Examples of your range of skills in the designing of all four of the major subject topics, environments, characters, vehicles and props should be included in your portfolio. Please include both the early concept design sketches and more finished renderings of your design ideas. It is important to show your thinking process through a range of sketches and renderings that progress from rough to more finished. Emphasis should be placed more on well-drawn original design variations. Sketchbooks are a welcome addition, and can be included as one PDF.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello! :-)
    I'm not sure how useful my contribution will be to the majority of the viewers (I'm not from the states but from the Netherlands) but I hope it'll be of use to someone.
    I got accepted at ArtEZ in Zwolle (Illustration) and ArtEZ Arnhem (fine arts), but I decided to go with the illustration course (pretty much because I found I can't stand the people from fine arts.)

Here is some of the stuff I showed, You can see a bit more in my sketchbook.

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 3686
Size:  396.3 KBName:  kunstmunst 132.JPG
Views: 3686
Size:  78.7 KBName:  kunstmunst 126.JPG
Views: 3671
Size:  68.8 KBName:  kunstmunst 123.JPG
Views: 3667
Size:  126.3 KBName:  kunstmunst 116.JPG
Views: 3666
Size:  59.1 KBName:  kunstmunst 083.JPG
Views: 3661
Size:  91.9 KBName:  kunstmunst 079.JPG
Views: 3648
Size:  82.6 KBName:  c.JPG
Views: 3646
Size:  19.1 KBName:  6.JPG
Views: 3649
Size:  133.7 KBName:  4.JPG
Views: 3654
Size:  141.5 KBName:  8.JPG
Views: 3647
Size:  151.4 KBName:  9.JPG
Views: 3647
Size:  110.6 KBName:  laatst.jpg
Views: 3637
Size:  74.5 KB

Last edited by Lost My Marbles; July 6th, 2013 at 02:50 AM.
    My sketchbook Please drop by. :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice portfolios!!

Got accepted to art center for fall deferred it to spring term and unfortunately didnt get any scholarship.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k29hn00t6j8r3qv/GI0wZedx84

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got in to Art Center for Illustration. They gave me 6k scholarship per term? Tuition is $18,240, so I would still have to pay $12,240. Thats $97,920 to graduate.

Im a little confused as I know people who got 20k scholarship for the whole YEAR with the option to only attend 2 terms per year?

To my understanding, Art Center does not give more than 50%.
    $20k is not half of $54,720(3 terms), but if you only attend 2 terms which will cost $36,480 per year, 20k is definitely more than half.

One would then only have to pay $16,480(x4 years to graduate = $65,920)
    instead of $34,720 (x rougly 2 and 2/3 years to graduate = $92,586)??

Can somebody explain to me more about how this works?

Either way I still cant afford it so :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Syrtex I know several people running on full scholarship (From the beginning too) in both illustration and Entertainment design... if they want you enough they will offer it
    I also know people who have deferred for a year and come back with a revised portfolio to get more scholarship than originally offered.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gnomon School of VFX 3-year-program accepted portfolio:

http://irwen.deviantart.com/gallery/43375386

Hope it helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can back up what Finnian is saying about ACCD.

I'd also like to add there is more than just 50% and full ride. I know some people on a 70% tuition ride, 90%, etc....I personally got 7500$ a term award and will be attending this autumn.

The reason you didn't get higher could also be indicative of your EFC (expected family contribution) and your grades. They definitely take both into account -- I talked with them and they told me a large reason why I didn't get more was because my EFC is extremely high (and yet I'm not getting shit from my mom, Q_Q.)

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello! I have been following this thread for a while and finally made an account so I can contribute. I am applying to RISD, Pratt and Parsons. I was already admitted early to SAIC. I have my sights set on RISD. Please let me know what you think my chances are and if you have any advise on pieces I should exclude or keep in my portfolio ( I still havent submitted RISD's).
    Thank you!
    https://sites.google.com/site/mclempres1/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there, I'd love some comments on my portfolio. I'm currently studying in the full-time preparatory year of the Gerrit Rietveld Academy in Amsterdam, next academic year I want to do a BFA at the Royal Academy of Art in The Hague at the ArtScience department. It's not that competitive here, for the Rietveld Academy they accept about 1/10 people, for the ArtScience department in The Hague (where I want to go) they have around 50 applications a year and a maximum of 15 places. I already made it through the first round a while ago (I showed them a couple of works I've done and they liked it), they filter out about 20 people of the total admissions in round 1, so that means there are about 30 people left.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4ajza2foii1kejr/dwlsxVVBhL

Here's a link to a selection of the portfolio (sharing the whole thing would be madness). Being able to draw very well is not necessary to get into most art schools here by the way, and the department I want to go to is primarily about installations, light/sound/technology. I'd love to hear what you think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I got into SAIC with a 31k "Distinguished Scholar" scholarship, so about 8k/yr.
    Also got into RISD, with no scholarships :c

Are US art schools just super stingy with international students? My american friend was really surprised at how little I got.
    Maybe I can beg nicely for more? Haha.
    My portfolio: http://abbycao.wix.com/portfolio

@Lampres I love your sculptures o3o

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 234