Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Accepted Portfolios?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    o.o
    the work here is fantastic :o
    In two years time I hope to apply for art college...now I see how much work I need to do. Congrats to everyone with such amazing portfolios!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the portfolio I applied to OCAd and got accepted with last year, for anyone interested: http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...D%20portfolio/ (the password is OCAD)

I ended up going to Sheridan instead, and that portfolio was slightly different, but a lot was used for both. I just didn't get that one back

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    does art center look down upon digital paintings? Im making a portfolio to apply to ACCD and I only have 1 oil portrait but a couple of digital paintings, alot of figure drawings, and some animal drawings...Im running out of time and I have no real experience in traditional painting, my first attempt of traditional painting was the portrait that i included in my portfolio, but I feel its a good portrait nonetheless...My digital paintings have no photographs in them and such, all done with a regular brush tool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Which major? I think digital painting isn't at all a problem unless you're going for the fine art major. I know a few accd students that are in the illustration major and their portfolio consists of a balance between the two. Stuff like ED is almost purely digital if you follow some of the student blogs.

You should ask that in the art center thread here to confirm though.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=24843&page=59

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacari View Post
    This is the portfolio I applied to OCAd and got accepted with last year, for anyone interested: http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...D%20portfolio/ (the password is OCAD)
    I contacted the admissions staff there to ask how many observational drawings they would recommend including in an illustration portfolio. All they told me in response was that I should look again at the requirements on the website, but the requirements don't say anything other than that the pieces can be done from either observation or imagination. Now I get mixed messages from this website telling that illustration portfolios have to consist purely of observational drawings. I don't know what to think anymore.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is an entrance portfolio, they don't expect you to do ballin' illustrations. They just want to see you're capable of drawing things from life

That's why most standard portfolios would ask for at least half of the pieces to be from life, you can't go wrong with all life drawings though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    See, the thing is that I'm actually much better at drawing from my imagination than I am at drawing from life. However, I'm going to make half of my presentation case consist of life drawings just to be safe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Academy of Art University: MFA in Illustration (Concept Art): 2011

The portfolio I submitted for admission into the MFA in Illustration (Concept Art) program at the Academy of Art University can be found here. Warning, this is a big file!

Note that for graduate students the only financial aid they offer is student loans and work study. I did, however, place out of one entrance level class with this portfolio and I came from a discipline outside of art with a BA in Psychology.

Alexandra Bond
    Studio Bond: studiobond.net
    Linked in: linkedin.com/in/studiobond
    Facebook: facebook.com/StudioBond

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Trisquel View Post
    I contacted the admissions staff there to ask how many observational drawings they would recommend including in an illustration portfolio. All they told me in response was that I should look again at the requirements on the website, but the requirements don't say anything other than that the pieces can be done from either observation or imagination. Now I get mixed messages from this website telling that illustration portfolios have to consist purely of observational drawings. I don't know what to think anymore.
    For OCAD, I'm honestly not sure how much they care. About 80% of my stuff wasn't observational AT ALL (photos....) and I got in no problem. The big thing for OCAD is INCLUDE THE PROCESS WORK. They love seeing how you got to your final piece.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sacari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I'm new to conceptart.org, so forgive me if I'm a little late on this thread. I'm in grade eleven and would be applying next year for university. You can find my portfolio here. I probably still have about eight months time to prepare before I send my applications in. Will anyone critique my portfolio, or give me some tips? What chances do I have of getting into a semi-good art school?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Okay I got an early acceptance into Sheridan for their Illustration Program with this portfolio. I only got a score of 80 though, and am really pissed at that (somewhere in my inflated head and ego I was hoping for over 90).

This should be a lesson to others: DON'T LEAVE IT ALL LAST MINUTE. I ended up throwing in a bunch of old stuff (some of it almost a year old!) because most of what I do breaks the rules of nothing from photos, no fantasy and I was told to not really include master copies. And for the drawing test...I did four of them the day of and the day before the deadline for mailing the portfolio.

EDIT: Oops, pen lifedrawing at very bottom should be up in the open section

DRAWING TEST:

#1A Seated figure from life
    Name:  IMG_9426.JPG
Views: 8665
Size:  341.0 KB
    #1B Standing figure from life
    Name:  IMG_9485.JPG
Views: 8619
Size:  261.1 KB
    #1C Figure involved in an everyday activity
    Name:  IMG_9410.JPG
Views: 8629
Size:  527.9 KB
    #2 Figure in an interior conveying a mood or feeling NOT in pencil (I did mine in ballpoint pen)
    Name:  IMG_9436.JPG
Views: 8611
Size:  474.4 KB
    #3 View out a window showing some of the interior of the room and perspective
    Name:  IMG_9465.JPG
Views: 8631
Size:  420.6 KB
    #4A Still life of objects resembling sphere, cylinder and rectangular prism
    Name:  IMG_9483.JPG
Views: 8558
Size:  500.1 KB
    #4B Same still life as above having undergone some sort of change
    Name:  IMG_9484.JPG
Views: 8346
Size:  364.9 KB

OPEN SECTION:
    Name:  Drapery.jpg
Views: 8277
Size:  505.5 KB
    Name:  Hands4.jpg
Views: 8247
Size:  353.4 KB
    Name:  hurdscreek_process1.jpg
Views: 8209
Size:  351.5 KB
    Name:  hurdscreekpainting2.jpg
Views: 8146
Size:  216.1 KB
    Name:  hurdscreekpainting3.jpg
Views: 8112
Size:  201.1 KB
    Name:  hurdscreek.jpg
Views: 8074
Size:  170.6 KB
    Name:  Image (9).jpg
Views: 8046
Size:  292.1 KB
    Name:  Image (30).jpg
Views: 8015
Size:  173.9 KB
    Name:  Image(21).jpg
Views: 7976
Size:  197.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_9047.JPG
Views: 7963
Size:  350.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_9179.JPG
Views: 7929
Size:  341.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_9181.JPG
Views: 7910
Size:  405.1 KB
    Name:  Lifedrawing10.jpg
Views: 7878
Size:  435.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_9431.JPG
Views: 7861
Size:  441.7 KB
    Name:  palmersrapids.jpg
Views: 7830
Size:  177.3 KB
    Name:  SelfPortraits.jpg
Views: 7804
Size:  415.0 KB
    Name:  SP3.jpg
Views: 7759
Size:  180.5 KB
    Name:  stilllife (1).jpg
Views: 7755
Size:  324.8 KB
    Name:  stilllife_detail1.jpg
Views: 7776
Size:  359.6 KB
    Name:  stilllife_detail2.jpg
Views: 7732
Size:  331.3 KB

SKETCHBOOK (I put them five to a page--first five were from imagination, last five were from reference):
    Name:  imaginarycar.jpg
Views: 7724
Size:  234.0 KB
    Name:  hellLarge.jpg
Views: 7712
Size:  272.9 KB
    Name:  Horses8.jpg
Views: 7680
Size:  186.4 KB
    Name:  imaginaryfigure.jpg
Views: 7661
Size:  93.6 KB
    Name:  ImaginaryPortrait.jpg
Views: 7639
Size:  170.7 KB
    Name:  Bammes2.jpg
Views: 7652
Size:  424.4 KB
    Name:  Frazetta.jpg
Views: 7657
Size:  163.0 KB
    Name:  Image (81).jpg
Views: 7626
Size:  460.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_9446.JPG
Views: 7597
Size:  456.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_9411.JPG
Views: 7585
Size:  374.8 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey All!

My portfolio for Sheridan's BAA (Animation) is in the first 3 posts on my blog:
    http://alisongchan.blogspot.com/

My score sheet scan is too tiny to read well, but my total score came to 3.93 out of 4 . Hope that this can help some future applicants.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys!

My portfolio can be found here. The password is "loweryi" (without the quotes). I got into Ringling, SCAD, and RIT with it but I've decided to attend Ringling out of all three of those.

Hope this helps any future applicants!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

accepted to LCAD fine art program

some of my portfolio pieces in chronological order (haven't scanned the more recent ones)

color pencils from life

color pencils from life

graphite 14 x 17

graphite 14 x 17 still life

graphite 14 x 17

self-portrait watercolor from mirror

color pencils from life

graphite 14 x 17

graphite 14 x 17 (need to re-scan, came out way too light)

graphite 14 x 17

graphite 18 x 24 still life

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey everyone so im have bit of a problem with portfolios,i just graduated from high school and will be going to a city college in nyc, i want to eventually go to LCAD or otis to be a concept artist. what do you guys think about my observational/still life drawings, portrait and some posters/book cover designs i did? also do you think there weak or strong and what do you think i need to work on. thanks. http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...sim0n409/5.jpg , http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...im0n409/14.jpg ,http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...im0n409/12.jpg , http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...im0n409/10.jpg , http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...sim0n409/8.jpg , http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...sim0n409/7.jpg , http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...sim0n409/6.jpg , http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...sim0n409/2.jpg , http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...sim0n409/1.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread is awesome. Thank you, you wonderful people. This has definitely given me some perspective on what I should include in my portfolio and what I should really be aiming for skill-wise. I still have a year left before I apply, so hopefully I'll get to the same level you guys are at before it's too late. There is some serious talent here!

Since I do have a year before sending out my portfolio, I've been wondering: should I not include pieces I made this year in my portfolio? I see a lot of you including your most recent stuff. Is it alright to include art that ranges from sophomore to senior year of high school? Only the exceptional pieces from sophomore/junior year though. I took AP art as a sophomore so I have a few strong pieces I might want to include.

Once again though, you're all awesome for posting this stuff. This is a fantastic thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Splendoodle View Post
    Since I do have a year before sending out my portfolio, I've been wondering: should I not include pieces I made this year in my portfolio? I see a lot of you including your most recent stuff. Is it alright to include art that ranges from sophomore to senior year of high school? Only the exceptional pieces from sophomore/junior year though. I took AP art as a sophomore so I have a few strong pieces I might want to include.

Once again though, you're all awesome for posting this stuff. This is a fantastic thread.
    I've had professors told me that the oldest you should go is 2 years. But even with that, it's VERY important to submit your more recent/current pieces. Without a doubt, you will have even stronger pieces your senior year, so don't even worry about those sophomore pieces. If you made good pieces your sophomore year, then you will make AMAZING pieces your senior year.

Focus, work hard, don't get lazy, and good luck.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to awsnif For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i got into the school of visual arts for graphic design. im waiting to see if i get a scholarship (i'm crossing my fingers).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gnomon

For the veterans of this forum. Do you know if someone post an accepted portfolio to enter gnomon school? Thank you! Im looking for Gnomon accepted portfolios.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nope! Not a single portfolio for Gnomon! Someone please post an accepted Gnomon portfolio. I guess they are looking for something similar to what I've seen here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everytime I need a serious reference for what art schools are looking for I look to threads like this one. Thankyou all for posting, it's inspiring and very helpful!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since people were asking for more portfolio's . Well here mine . So far the actual portfolio has been accepted in SAIC,Moore ( Small all girls art school ), Lyme ( another small school ) , NHIA, OCAD, and Fredonia.
    (some are not the best of quality sorry )

I honestly just want to get into MICA or Cooper Union . If anything else maybe RISD they all gave me really good reviews ( besides MICA the second time )
    Sorry for the image load . Im kind of /new/ here . I've only stalked around so ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think all of these were for my VCUarts portfolio. I got in with a deans scholarship, though I think the scholarship was more for academics/achievements.

Oh and I don't remember what the order was so these probably aren't in the order they were.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just received my acceptance to VCUarts today, but there's no info about scholarship yet. Has anyone been notified about scholarship?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the portfolio I sent to SCAD, Cleveland Institute of Art, SVA , and Massart, for an undergrad major in Illustration.
    Got my acceptance from SCAD today, along with the $20000 a year Distinguished Scholars award... still waiting to hear from the others

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've applied to SVA, Pratt, CCA, CalArts, MICA, and KCAI

So far I've been accepted to SVA, Pratt, and CCA
    Pratt I got $19,000/year; CCA at the moment I got $10,000/year

I won't know about other scholarships for a while, but I'll update this post with the rest of the school and scholarships after I've been accepted.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (first post lol) Hello! I'm applying to SVA, Art Center, MICA, RISD, Ringling, and OCAC (Oregon College of Art and Craft) I'll update with any acceptances and scholarship I receive, but from talking with reps a few weeks ago at national portfolio day is appears that at least my portfolio is acceptable. Here's a kinda combination of the portfolios I submitted to SVA and RISD.

UPDATE: so far got into SVA! scholarship info hasn't been sent out yet.
    UPDATEUPDATE: Got $15,000 from SVA, and got my MICA and Ringling acceptance letters today!
    Update: Art center acceptance also came in, now just waiting for RISD and OCAC..
    SUPERUPDATE: Ok, lots has happened lol. Full rides from RISD, Art Center (EEEE!), and OCAC! Still waiting to hear back on scholarship from MICA and Ringling. I'm most likely going to Art Center though, because they gave me a lil more than full, so I can afford an apartment! and they are my top school /cry

Last edited by Spikie; April 2nd, 2012 at 06:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

31. The Following User Says Thank You to finnianm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I'm...actually not even a senior, I'm a junior in highschool that is extremely interested in going to Ringling for Video game design to be a concept artist for... well video games lol.

I only have one image on this computer. I guess this is what I WOULD submit if I was applying to Ringling this year

It's not perfect...and I know I still have... A lot to learn... But hopefully i'm in a good place right now haha.

Be Amazing~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy shit. These portfolios are so amazing! Please don't tell me you're all high school seniors, too... I feel a bit ashamed of my portfolio now, haha. I'll put it up anyway, though! This is the portfolio I used to apply to Ringling (accepted to CA). I applied to a bunch of other schools too, but my portfolio was different for each of them. Right now I'm probably going to SCAD at least for one year because of the scholarship I got from them, though. /sigh/

I got 18k/yr from SCAD, 5k/yr from MICA for academics, roughly 13k/yr from SAIC, and 4k/yr from Ringling, though I haven't included any of the more "imaginative/creative" works in my portfolio simply because I don't have them on me.

My portfolio is a bit unimaginative, since I had been drawing pretty much only from observation and anime up until the beginning of senior year. I'm trying really hard to exercise my creative muscle right now though, hehehe.

Name:  IMG_5285 copy.jpg
Views: 4138
Size:  155.8 KB

Name:  Image copy.jpg
Views: 4137
Size:  249.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5252 copy.jpg
Views: 4145
Size:  223.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5255 copy.jpg
Views: 4149
Size:  379.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5258 copy.jpg
Views: 4135
Size:  249.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5260 copy.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  115.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5284 copy.jpg
Views: 4139
Size:  175.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5254 copy.jpg
Views: 4126
Size:  141.7 KB

There's a few more, but I don't have the files on me right now (I'm not staying at home) and they're not very interesting, either. xD These are just all the small files I have on my USB. I know my sketchbook (link in sig) has 2 more pictures I put into my Ringling portfolio (second study with multiple fish and the hallway drawing). I also included this picture to show uh, creativity (probably the only creative thing I've ever drawn, HAH!): http://fav.me/d4klygz (not sure if the link works though).

I'll edit with the rest if I can!

Last edited by letsgopangolin; April 8th, 2012 at 01:09 AM.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 233