Thanks

New here, impressed so far!

I just joined today, and I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen here so far. What makes me especially happy is that there are sculptors here, whereas most art sites I've gone to consist almost totally of drawers, with some photography here and there.

Anyway, I've been sculpting on and off for the past nine years or so, but have never once taken a class on it, or even taken advice from other sculptors. So far, I'm 100% self-taught. I plan to change this when I enter college next fall, though. I've wanted to make it a profession someday, but there are some other things I'm also torn between.

Alright, so here is a picture of what I generally consider to be the best thing I've made. I haven't ever really had an opportunity to show this to other sculptors, so I'm not exactly sure how competent with sculpting I really am.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Welcome Archaedin,
    An interesting character you have made. I especially like the hands - are they done with armature underneath?
    The lower body is a bit hard to see - but overall you get a nice dark threatening feeling - which I guess is what you were aiming for.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aseyngel View Post
    Welcome Archaedin,
    An interesting character you have made. I especially like the hands - are they done with armature underneath?
    The lower body is a bit hard to see - but overall you get a nice dark threatening feeling - which I guess is what you were aiming for.
    Thanks. Yea, the previous time I had made this character, my friend said it wasn't "Dark" enough for what I was aiming for, so I switched up the color scheme quite a bit.

I just made a sort of cloud down there, there aren't any real legs or feet built in. I use wires now and then to help keep things in place, but only if I really have to. There are no wires in the arms or hands, just a few to keep it propped up and some to attach the head to the body.

Thanks
    Welcome archaedin,
    Cool sculpted creation you have there,im also self taught but when i started out there wasnt much information,there was no internet either lol,i had to go to libraries to find out how they did things,i think if your into making maquettes its really helpful to start out with a wire structure it just helps in the long run,theres a great site if you want to learn more its a forum by the sculpting geniuses the shiflett brothers,its all about sculpting,Q&A and helpful tips you might not be aware of,ive been sculpting for 25 years and im still learning lol.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by barbelith2000ad View Post
    Welcome archaedin,
    Cool sculpted creation you have there,im also self taught but when i started out there wasnt much information,there was no internet either lol,i had to go to libraries to find out how they did things,i think if your into making maquettes its really helpful to start out with a wire structure it just helps in the long run,theres a great site if you want to learn more its a forum by the sculpting geniuses the shiflett brothers,its all about sculpting,Q&A and helpful tips you might not be aware of,ive been sculpting for 25 years and im still learning lol.
    Thanks! I'll go check this website out sometime. What's it called? I'm sure it wont be hard to find, all I have to do is search a bit on google.

I'm entering Community College now, and plan to go to a normal University when I get my two year degree. I might go to the California College of the Arts, but I'll have to make a full decision on weather or not I want to do this for a living.

Thanks for the post!