Art class, second try?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Art class, second try?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art class, second try?

I took a life drawing class at the Art Students' League late last year and wasn't too satisfied with the instruction. However, when I got the 2008-2009 book it said Michael Grimaldi will be teaching a life drawing class there. I am thinking of giving art class another shot and enroll in his class. He is an artist I've gotten into lately and I really like his works I've seen in his official website, such as:
    http://www.michaelgrimaldi.net/Galle...entofparis.jpg
    http://www.michaelgrimaldi.net/Galle.../surrogate.jpg
    http://www.michaelgrimaldi.net/Galle...ppelganger.jpg
    http://www.michaelgrimaldi.net/Galle.../vanitas-1.jpg

Do you think I should try out the class? I haven't taken that many art classes in my life and haven't had that good of an experience with the few ones I've taken. Also, I wonder if I should study up on the art concepts such as perspective, lighting, and some anatomy before I attempt such a class again. At the previous class I took at the ASL, everyone seemed leagues ahead of me. Another factor to consider is that if I take the class, I wont be able to get a job or do volunteer work (since afterwards I wouldn't have enough time before my Taxation class in the evenings), and I desperately need things to put on my resume.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The best sort of student is an interested and motivated student. If you think you can put aside your less than staisfactory previous experience, you should certainly take every opportunity to improve.

You should examine what is was you found disappointing in your previous art classes first. Being aware of what you didn't like might make it easier to take more out of another class.

Perspective, lighting and anatomy aren't art concepts, they're art fundamentals! Study them --the stronger your understanding of those elements the easier time you will have in any art class.

I don't think anyone can really advise you on the last part; if you want a career as an artist, then art studeies must take precedence, if it's a hobby, then it should fall further down your priority list.

~Richard

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rpace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I definitely am motivated, I'm seeing all this great art and it inspires me to want to produce great art too. Especially with a teacher whose art I've seen before and like, I would be extra receptive of the information he will dispense. Ideally, I would want to get a job in the art field but my abilities are not that good at the moment. I particularly lack creativity, which is something I have to work on. My dad's advice was to finish Accounting first and get a job in that, while working on my art on the side. Then, the money earned from that job would finance my artistic endeavors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eh, are you in grimaldi's class right now?
    I'm in his morning class and his instructions are pretty good. (If you're not in it, he does very nice demos [tons of comments] and I think he critiques pretty long once he gets to you [I didn't get any long critiques yet =x])

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sung-jae Kim View Post
    eh, are you in grimaldi's class right now?
    I'm in his morning class and his instructions are pretty good. (If you're not in it, he does very nice demos [tons of comments] and I think he critiques pretty long once he gets to you [I didn't get any long critiques yet =x])
    Awesome! I would especially like the demos, the last teacher didnt do any. The long critique would be very helpful too. I'm not in it now but I was going to register for July and/or August and maybe beyond.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I might not be able to do it now. My class for next semester will partially be during the time of Grimaldi's class *sigh* I could try again once again from September, if I can get a class that doesn't end up around that same time too. He really inspires me though, I'd love to be in his class and get his critique.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.