Portfolio questions (About presentation not content)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Portfolio questions (About presentation not content)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portfolio questions (About presentation not content)

Hey guys.
    Getting ready for SDCC so here comes some questions about the almighty portfolio

1)
    I'm looking for a port' that has glossy, "glass" smooth/clean pockets. None of that bumpy textured, greyed out pockets that make your art look all dreary.
    What kind of brands sell the smooth glossy pockets?

2)
    What's the ideal size? I prefer 11x14. I feel 8.5x11 is too small and feels too much like an "office presentation"

3)
    My portfolio consists of both landscape and portrait format pieces.

I do not want the person reviewing to be flipping and rotating my portfolio AND I do not want to print a landscape format on a portrait page as it would be TINY!

What's the best solution?
    Group all the portrait formats together and the landscapes formats together?

Any other tips would rock. Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a lot harder to do so, but I'd stay away from sleeves. Whenever you look at the work, you always end up with overhead lighting reflecting over the sheets and I always end up adjusting my head a little to find the one sweet spot where I can just see the work without the reflection. I dunno. I guess, it's just a personal preference. But I think plastic sleeves aren't all together professional looking.

I just made my portfolio today actually. Try printing out your work at a photo print store. I get 8x10s, which is nice size. I then mount them to black photo album pages, which are a nice thick stock paper...but still reasonable. If I have to I may carefully punch a few holes along the side to line up with my portfolio ring binger for that group. I also leave the album pages with a 1/4 inch border, that way people can grab the page and not the art. (Because there's no protection of the print art, I try to stay careful with who's seeing it. It's not the kind of thing, that I'd pass around. I wouldn't want to get it dirty.)

Right now, I actually have 2 portfolios. One is a concept port, which I've layed out as a landscape portfolio. (I have environments, character shots, etc, and I just keep everything in the landscape mode.

My second one (the one I just made today) is a final illustration/character pose portfolio, which is done in the normal vertical mode.

total cost for each: around $40. (30 for the printing, 10 for the album pages)

Good Luck in at Comic-con. I'll be there too. That's what I'm making my portfolio for as well.

My Sketchbook :: Phantasmagoria
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Illustration Portfolio :: jasonsnair.carbonmade.com
    Design Portfolio :: jasonsnairdesign.carbonmade.com
    My Blog -- Feed Me Toast!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the idea of having no sleeves at all.
    Do you have any links to a portfolio that just has thick black pages w/ no sleeves?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.