Mad Max - character design - feedback needed
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Lav is offline Student Animationfilm Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mad Max - character design - feedback needed

Hey, i'll provide a little bit of information to this project to give you an idea what i'm trying to do in case you are interested to provide feedback (which is very much appreciated )

Well i have a school project, for my exams actually, where i have to design both a female character as a male that would fit in the world of the mad max movies. One of them had to be evil, the other good, and one of them had to have a pet and the other one a designed weapon. Currently i'm still at the basic works and have uploaded some poses i would like to use for it.
    My male is suppose to be a sad man (wife got killed and daughter kidnapped), one of the "good guys".
    The female is young, a bit flirty and one of the "bad guys". The tumbs are just sketchy and so there are still a lot of anatomy mistakes in it. Alltho i will try to correct them when i make my final pose, feedback on the anatomy is already very much welcome, as is suggestion on which pose to take.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Lav; June 15th, 2008 at 04:03 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i picked the poses already here are some of the tumbs, feedback is greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are cool. For the guy's outfit, I like #4, and for the girl, I like # 5.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the suggestion, for the guy atm i just used a mixture of everything. Could really use some feedback at this point about mistakes that might be made in the drawing before i use inkt on it and start working on it in photoshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never seen Mad Max so I don't know how the outfit fits in that universe but I do see some stuff about the drawing that a little wonky.

His hand holding the bottle/telescope, looks too small. His feet don't line up, unless he's standing on a really smooth rock. Also I think the top part of his boots would flare out a bit, because of the pants that are bunched up around the knees. I think they would to be that form fitting.

If he's using that scarf as a hat too, there should be some of being seen going up the back of his neck/hanging fabric from his head if you're going to keep the head at that angle. Also, his arm is kinda long, usually the elbow lines up with the navel, so maybe move up his forearm - unless you're going with the style of Mad max too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kya Hill For This Useful Post:

Lav

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the feedback, i tried ti adjust it and started painting in photoshop already, i still need to try and create a bigger contrast between the different fabrics (from the waist down is still early stage) but it seems a bit more difficult then i thought. The male had to be black and white, will probably finish the male and then start working at my female.
    oh and forgot to mention, the hat isnt a scarf anymore i used the baggy hat for it

Last edited by Lav; June 17th, 2008 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like you're painting everything the same, the armor looks like cloth and the pants are starting to look like the scarf/poncho thngy. Also everything's blending into eachother. I'd say paint everything solid first, with a hard brush with 100 opacity/flow, then do your shadows/hi-lights one by one for each part of your guy.

If you're going for a painterly style, the skin should have the most shadows, while his clothes should have less shadows. You have your light source so no worries about that.

Did that make sense?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the good feedback again, here's an update. I'm not pleased with how i did the eyes but i have so much work left and the deadline is friday. Hopefully will have enough time to redo the eyes and perhaps some other mistakes that i don't see atm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is looking pretty good! I would say tone down the huge hilight on the pants and the hat, basically soften it up. The big hilight on the hat is starting ot make it look like it's part of the of Guy's forehead. The pant leg is looking washed out because of that bright spot and the fact that you're background is a bright white. Maybe you could fill your background up with a light solid gray.

Also his poncho could have more wrinkles where it gathers at his shoulders and around his collar bone/neck to give it more depth, but that's just extra. For the eyes, if you have time, just move his right eye away from the bridge of his nose and down just a little bit to make it line up better.

The eye also wouldn't look like that at that angle, I'd say look for a quick ref and see how it looks from that angle, IF you have the time before your deadline.

Another extra: give his boots soles to show that they are boots and not moccasins. You can just color it in, since I can see the little indent/line you already made for it.

Everything else is looking nice as far as I can see. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i wish i had more time to finish it. I'm not 100% pleased with my female (kinda had to rush it a little bit so wasn't able to post updates all the time), but deadline is a deadline. I don't think i would be able to change much anymore but feedback is still welcome, i'd still like to learn from my mistakes. Thank you spiralingvortex for following this thread and helping me with good feedback

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Overall they look good for only having a week(?) to do them both. Your woman looks too manly in the chest and neck area. Her face is really nice, though it could be a little softer, her chin wouldn't be as sharp hough, also her lips are a little big and tilted.

Her neck looks weird, even though she's turning her head, only one of those veins should be fully jutting out like that. I just tried it and it's the one on my right. The other one seems to be relaxed. I think she needs a small shadow between her breasts.

Her arm is too stiff. Add some curves to her arms. Her forearm is proportionate, but her upper arm is too long making the whole thing look a little funky. So maybe you can move it up some.

She needs a few wrinkles in her boots at the back of her knee to show that the boot is a boot and not part of her leg, even if it's super tight-leather it should have tiny wrinkles there.

Again, overall, this is pretty good for having a short deadline. I like their outfits. They look the parts they're supposed to play, and the dog/fox is cute~!

Hope you get a good grade!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i adjusted it on the digital version but it's too late to change it on the print, thanks for the tips and hopefully they'll be pleased with it
    And i really liked the fox as well omg they're so cute!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're welcome! BTW, If you have a portfolio review maybe you could add more changes if you're given that option.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.