Limbo of the Lost Frankensteined from other games.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Limbo of the Lost Frankensteined from other games.

There’s a game that was released in the UK -- though it concieved in the 1990s -- for 30 GBP (60 USD) last summer that took environments from several other games and even a few movies, including Pirates of the Caribbean and Spawn. If I'd been one of the people who'd worked on those games I'd be fuming.

[…] some of the environments in Limbo of the Lost bear a striking resemblance to areas of Oblivion, from textures used to room layouts and the objects that populate them. Although the similarities in the screenshots are undeniable, the games themselves are quite different in practice. […]

A Tri Synergy representative addressed the matter for GameSpot, saying that the publisher had no previous knowledge of the issue. He also said a question had been raised about similar issues with Limbo of the Lost and Eidos' 2004 action adventure game Thief: Deadly Shadows. […]

"We're seeing this for the first time," the representative emphasized. "We had no idea any of this was going on."

Tri Synergy has already given Limbo of the Lost a limited release, and the representative said that it had not determined what to do regarding plans to release the game to major retailers such as Best Buy. So far, the publisher's attempts to reach the developer have not been successful, given that the team has apparently been on vacation after completing development on Limbo. The representative also said that Tri Synergy has not been in direct contact with Bethesda or Eidos yet. (1)
    Side by side comparisons are available here. The Limbo ones are on the top. Also, take note of the green bar at the top of Limbo’s screen. There’s a bigger shot here. Compare it to this WoW Wallpaper. But it doesn't stop there.

More comparisons surfaced overnight, revealing that Limbo of the Lost apparently contains background elements of Gray Matter's Return to Castle Wolfenstein, World of Warcraft artwork, and a shocking number of Unreal Tournament 2004 maps.(2)
    Were this a free game, it might not be an issue. Maybe the developers wanted to try something out and share, but as a real commercial title such theft equals legal problems.

Following accusations that PC title Limbo of the Lost used assets taken from The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Thief: Deadly Shadows, among other games, publisher Tri Synergy has discontinued distribution of the game. The company claims it had no knowledge that developer Majestic Studios reused the level designs and artwork without permission.[...]

The adventure game, which uses 2D screenshots of environments for its backdrops, seems to include pictures of games including The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Diablo II, Unreal Tournament 2004, Unreal Tournament 2003, Diablo II, Crysis, Silent Hill 4: The Room, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, World of Warcraft, Painkiller, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, and other titles.

According to Tri Synergy, at no point during its dealings with Majestic Studios did the publisher have any knowledge of these similarities. Tri Synergy has states that it has contacted Majestic and that it is awaiting the studio's response. Tri Synergy plans to release another statement once they know more about the alleged asset theft.

UK-based developer and publisher G2 Games, Limbo of the Lost's publisher in Europe, has yet to comment on the accusations.(3)
    The big trailer may be downloaded off their ftp server here: ftp://ftp.trisynergy.com/pub/LimboOf...tL-Trailer.zip

Note the ship on the water. It’s apparently from Pirates of the Caribbean. Take note as well of when the character falls overboard, how it changes from the outdated CG to a movie clip. And if you freeze it, you can see black bars that appear to be blocking out something.

It's become something of a game now for people to find where the various elements of LotL came from, although some are convinced it is a big joke or viral marketing ploy. If it is, they're going through a lot of work and had to get the approval of various game developers and studios as well as sites like Amazon.

Last edited by paramnesia; June 13th, 2008 at 09:22 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am at lost for words.....

My Website

My Blog

My Facebook

Currently for hire as freelancer!]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the initials of the game.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn I waited so long to play this on my phantom console.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow I had almost forgotten about the Phantom...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.