Doggy Summon concept

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Doggy Summon concept

I've gotten a lot of comments on this image that it feels very "okami" ish, and I really wasn't going for that. Does it seem like I copied many elements in order to make this image? I do not want to be seen as a hack or plagiarist and I actually wasn't referencing anything. I've never even played okami, I mean I know it looks nice and I'd like for those comments to be flattering but I'm just not sure if the likeness is a good or bad thing.

In any case I feel as finished as can be but still I wish I knew how to present my images better. I know some people make it appear as though it's drawn on tea-stained paper or they put vectorized details around the edges... I just never know what to do.
    What do you all think?

thanks for your time!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Azuma, Hironori; June 12th, 2008 at 01:49 PM. Reason: image too fucking big
    Here's my awesome, pro website.
    http://www.aoyamacraig.com

Character designer/Illustrator looking for studio work!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, it looks like Okami. I don't think it looks finished, though. You have smudges around the figure, is there a filter over top of the illustration?? The top of the pic is fuzzy... With the tail cropped, it looks like you ran out of room.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Orunitier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems I have a long way to go. Yeah, it's definitely missing that finished quality about it... When I draw using a tablet, rather than ctrl+z ing my mistakes, I just subtract from the shape with an eraser (or a white brush when doing just b&w). From time to time it leaves bits and pieces of the previous shape behind which, to me, can sometimes be picturesque and show a bit of process.

As for the fuzziness on top, i just slapped on a gradient white for a fading effect. guess it wasn't the best idea. I wanted to get the gems on his back to glow a little bit but without becoming a primary lightsource. I do understand that VERY few problems can be solved with a photoshop filter, which is why I'm not too sure why I did it.

As far as cropping goes, I think I simply did a bad job. I didn't really run out of space so much as chose a poor place to end the image. Its an easy fix I guess. I am trying to find that fine balance between solid concept and finished illustration. Can't seem to get it.

Your comments are appreciated most gratefully as it took 244 views to get any feedback. I will certainly take it to heart and improve.

As for looking like Okami... is it a good thing or a bad thing... should I change something about the construction or keep it for its familiarity?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, there's nothing wrong with Okami, and honestly it looks like a good integration at the very least. I mean there are some people that do patch jobs and that looks just BAD.

But this isn't bad. I would go and do more detail like you did on the legs and clean it up. Or maybe the dark parts get that more detailed and the 'ice' parts have lighter lines.

"I like doing stuff that interests me. What is it? Just anything that is new and different to old and traditional. There has to be an interesting aspect to things, but not same old run of the mill. There, I've told you everything, and it denotes nothing. Basically, give it a try. Give it a go. At least once. You know you want to. "

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Terriblis Gesserit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think one thing this would benefit from is a cohesive style throughout the piece. On the left side, your lines are very clean and refined, and the as it moves further right it looks like you decided to go more with a painterly/subtractive style. Both like fine in their own right, but when they sit there competing against each other, it makes everything confused, and unfinished looking. Gotta think about the visual language you want to use and everything will come together.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rustikof For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always had a problem with style consistency... I think I allow myself to become bored with one particular way of doing things and I'm impatient when I feel I'm not learning as much as I can so I see if I can complete it successfully with different strokes. I should stop. That's a great point though, I'll definitely be more aware of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doggy Summon concept

Another image from that series. Tried a bit harder with coloring. I feel like it's missing some patterns...

Either way I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I haven´t played Okami (if the "that series" refers to it) so I may talk over my head, but there are three things that could be bit better in my opinion.
    (I took the liberty to redline, it`s easier than trying to figure out my typo ridden wall of text)
    -The ribbon string when it curves
    -His other leg
    -The shadow in the headgear could be darker/with different colour

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't tell you enough how much it means to me that you took the time to do that. I'll definitely look into those changes during my revision of the work. I was also having a problem getting the glow in his stomach gem to not feel like a part of his body. I hate the phase of an image where you thought you were happy with it but when you look at it for much longer you start to dislike it greatly. Trying to avoid that. These minor changes shouldn't be too difficult.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Double post, my bad.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.