Sketchbook: Carmel's sketchbook 15/ 4/ 2014 - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Carmel's sketchbook 15/ 4/ 2014

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice updates. I think I'm saying it again, but I really like your line quality, very clean and controlled. Also the digital painting seems to be moving along well, looks like you're starting to up the rendering a bit.

Your characters look good in my opinion; I'd say watch the proportions in spots, but overall they have nice personality and structure. Personally, I start to dislike my characters because they tend to look very similar (body structure and costume usually). It looks like on the right group of faces that you're starting to analyze the properties of the face you drew, which is a really good thing to do. Looking at fashion and things is always a good way to help as well, and also looking at other artists, trying a very shape oriented approach (this triangle can be a pant leg?), or just scribbling can help at times. You might do these things already, but just keep trying random things and you never know what sort of designs you'll start to come up with.

Was that a bit preachy? Hope not hehe. Either way just keep at it!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Onir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Onir View Post
    Hey, nice updates. I think I'm saying it again, but I really like your line quality, very clean and controlled. Also the digital painting seems to be moving along well, looks like you're starting to up the rendering a bit.

Your characters look good in my opinion; I'd say watch the proportions in spots, but overall they have nice personality and structure. Personally, I start to dislike my characters because they tend to look very similar (body structure and costume usually). It looks like on the right group of faces that you're starting to analyze the properties of the face you drew, which is a really good thing to do. Looking at fashion and things is always a good way to help as well, and also looking at other artists, trying a very shape oriented approach (this triangle can be a pant leg?), or just scribbling can help at times. You might do these things already, but just keep trying random things and you never know what sort of designs you'll start to come up with.

Was that a bit preachy? Hope not hehe. Either way just keep at it!
    Keep preaching - all your posts are really helpful - I'll try the shapes thing. I think the faces and consistency with them is my weakest point so I'm glad you think that someof the properties were getting expressed well enough

here's a WIP reffed from this photo http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1215536488 in Lake's post in the ref. photo section

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    done with the painting for now - the ref. is below

crit and brush tips are mainly what I'm asking for - also, does anyone know where I can get a nice set of PS brushes?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your colour work there is looking great!

In terms of PS brushes, I think there's a forum here handing some out. Or search for brushes on Deviantart. I'm getting into the habit of making my own from textures and other bits n' bobs...

I love your sketches muchly, so I don't even want to point out things like anatomy and that! Your sketches are hugely expressive and brave, I have no qualms with that. Keep it up!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Euphemism For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah hah! you can't hide from us! lol didn't expect to find a familiar face around these parts. You stepping it up a notch I see. I'm planning on doing the same since I'm going to be pooping it out full time because of uni. I think I'll feel better posting here now that I know the step can be made nice work in here by the way.

BTW it's fun to make your own brushes. Probably more likely to get the results you want that way too. I have some I got from Kwiix if you want them? PM me with your email address.

lurking

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 5te For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very imaginative and colourful work you got in your sketches. Keep it going.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Euphemism View Post
    Your colour work there is looking great!

In terms of PS brushes, I think there's a forum here handing some out. Or search for brushes on Deviantart. I'm getting into the habit of making my own from textures and other bits n' bobs...

I love your sketches muchly, so I don't even want to point out things like anatomy and that! Your sketches are hugely expressive and brave, I have no qualms with that. Keep it up!
    Thank you very much I shall check out the forum to look for free brushes. I made some novelty ones out of a scan of my actual face lol but as for brushes to use on work I have nada.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5te View Post
    ah hah! you can't hide from us! lol didn't expect to find a familiar face around these parts. You stepping it up a notch I see. I'm planning on doing the same since I'm going to be pooping it out full time because of uni. I think I'll feel better posting here now that I know the step can be made nice work in here by the way.

BTW it's fun to make your own brushes. Probably more likely to get the results you want that way too. I have some I got from Kwiix if you want them? PM me with your email address.
    Gah! 5te! how are you doing mate? muzzoid is on here as well lol. Hurry up and put your sketchbook up mate! have fun in uni too!
    Quote Originally Posted by starf1sh View Post
    Very imaginative and colourful work you got in your sketches. Keep it going.
    thank you very much

More random marks courtesy of moi....I'm gonna look through my old sketchbooks I think and see about developing some of the sketches more becuase all I did in my last boo k and even the one before that was experiment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice job on the reffed painting! You did great with the colors and you really got the form and shape of the clouds and the plane. I'm not much of a PS user so I can't really help you in that department, but I would pretty much echo what Euphemism is saying; check around this forum, DA, CGTalk and just see if you can find random brush sets or some tuts on how to make your own from images and such.

Nice sketches as always, experimentation is always good hehe. Good idea on going back and reworking older sketches, nice way to see progress and also look at your creative process/growth. Or something Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Make brushes from the faces you doodle here! There's also some kind of Pattern randomizer in PS to mix the shapes up also. Just play around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers for your helpful comment on my sketchbook bro, thought ı'll pop by in here and have a look. Your stuff is pretty good, very lose and colourful sketches, reminds me alot of my sketchbook from high school, which i loved. Only thing i would suggest is probably to do some studies on more technical stuff, so you can differentiate for what part on a painting you will need exact proportions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice job on the reffed painting! You did great with the colors and you really got the form and shape of the clouds and the plane. I'm not much of a PS user so I can't really help you in that department, but I would pretty much echo what Euphemism is saying; check around this forum, DA, CGTalk and just see if you can find random brush sets or some tuts on how to make your own from images and such.

Nice sketches as always, experimentation is always good hehe. Good idea on going back and reworking older sketches, nice way to see progress and also look at your creative process/growth. Or something Keep up the great work!
    I did a little bit of re-working on the sketchbook pages today and also downloaded a bus load of brushes Of course, experiemtnation is always present lol thanks mate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Euphemism View Post
    Make brushes from the faces you doodle here! There's also some kind of Pattern randomizer in PS to mix the shapes up also. Just play around.
    You could do a comic with all the same face - Rumiko takahashi's work has a lot of cookie-cutter heads lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by starf1sh View Post
    Cheers for your helpful comment on my sketchbook bro, thought ı'll pop by in here and have a look. Your stuff is pretty good, very lose and colourful sketches, reminds me alot of my sketchbook from high school, which i loved. Only thing i would suggest is probably to do some studies on more technical stuff, so you can differentiate for what part on a painting you will need exact proportions.
    technical stuff? Do you mean run through Burne Hogarth anatomy books and bulk up the anatomy? I have been meaning route through his books but they're so wordy and hard to follow! I do agree with you that I need more anatomy work if that is your meaning by technical....please tell me what you mean? thanks

Playing around with stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like you're having some problems with contrast, in several senses. On the painting of the guy with the... mouth... thing... they're in the same level of focus, if not backwards. The guy, assuming he's our fore/midground and point of focus, should be very sharp, while the mouth would be a little more subtle. Not necessarily blurry, but with more atmosphere between it and the guy. With some of your pen/ink/watercolor stuff I see very similar linework all around. try to vary it a little and the foci will jump off the page.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake View Post
    Looks like you're having some problems with contrast, in several senses. On the painting of the guy with the... mouth... thing... they're in the same level of focus, if not backwards. The guy, assuming he's our fore/midground and point of focus, should be very sharp, while the mouth would be a little more subtle. Not necessarily blurry, but with more atmosphere between it and the guy. With some of your pen/ink/watercolor stuff I see very similar linework all around. try to vary it a little and the foci will jump off the page.
    When i do my ink work in my sketchbooks it's mostly random doodles and the foreground/b/g isn;t really as planned, but in the guy and the mouth pic you are most right in saying so. I've had to adjust the contrast on my screen today to try and fix that - I'd done that picture beforehand and here's my last post for the day which i hope is a bit better I'll try and do some work with my lines to get the contrast in there!

A crappy camera that cost far too much LOMOGRAPHY SUCKS! lol
    took about 3 hours so far but am just too tired now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey nice updates; the digital paintings in the post before this last one look cool, nice unique compositions. Lake had some great crits so I won't really add on to that, but I will say you might want to try to use some larger, bolder strokes when you're doing things initially. This goes for this camera as well; it's looking great so far, and you've really punched in alot of contrast and details through the process. You nailed likeness as well, even early on (as you're process animation shows), so I'd say you might just want to try and block everything in big and simple to begin with. That way you have an easy base to work on top of, and you can start the refining process more quickly. If this is your approach then obviously disregard this hehe, but yea just figured I'd throw that out there Great work, keep at it!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Onir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey nice updates; the digital paintings in the post before this last one look cool, nice unique compositions. Lake had some great crits so I won't really add on to that, but I will say you might want to try to use some larger, bolder strokes when you're doing things initially. This goes for this camera as well; it's looking great so far, and you've really punched in alot of contrast and details through the process. You nailed likeness as well, even early on (as you're process animation shows), so I'd say you might just want to try and block everything in big and simple to begin with. That way you have an easy base to work on top of, and you can start the refining process more quickly. If this is your approach then obviously disregard this hehe, but yea just figured I'd throw that out there Great work, keep at it!
    I'm not too good with getting the colours exactly right so while I try to fix it the brushstrokes get a bit erratic I had what you are sayni in mind to beign with but it needs some practice. I appreciate the crit, especially as its something that has been put to good use in your own work

Here is the project as of now and I feel that i don't want to touch it much anymore. It is far from a finished product but for my excerice it is as I wish I guess. I'm going to make a brush to make small regular dots liek I wanted on the flash bulb...oh damn, i forgot something in the flash bulb - nevermind lessons learned - a days work is never done!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahh, your stuff is always so bold and colourful! I love it. nice job on the plane crash picture and on the delve into digital stuff overall! be bold and strong with those brushstrokes to make things look sharper (check out that plane picture: there are a few wispy bits in yours, but in the photo the clouds look a bit more solid, if you see what I mean)

keep up the lovely work

What an overwhelming lesson to all artists! Be not afraid of absurdity; do not shrink from the fantastic. Within a dilemma, choose the most unheard-of, the most dangerous, solution. Be brave, be brave! - Isak Dinesen

22. The Following User Says Thank You to gutss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    ahh, your stuff is always so bold and colourful! I love it. nice job on the plane crash picture and on the delve into digital stuff overall! be bold and strong with those brushstrokes to make things look sharper (check out that plane picture: there are a few wispy bits in yours, but in the photo the clouds look a bit more solid, if you see what I mean)

keep up the lovely work
    Bolder on the brushstrokes - got it! I think i have troubles getting to grips with the brush changes and I know that a big problem is I'm not all that confident with lighting and oclour all will come with practice and study!

My printer buggered which means I can;t use my scanner either =_= here's a character doodle that I'm working on so that I may improve my painting from imagination etc. character desigmn whatevr. Its a bit bland becuase I didn;t o any thumbnails beforehand. please crit - the arm is off and I would greatly appreciate a paint over to help point out the problem

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that's the spirit! also, sorry about your scanner. I hope it recovers

nice looking digital stuff though (neat character design!) and your painterly colouring is looking nice. I did a quick (maybe quite bad I APOLOGISE SRRY) paintover for you

all I can see is that his sword arm is a bit long, and that it looks ats though his elbow points inwards, when in fact it should be outwards if the arm is backwards. hope that helps a bit

good stuff!

What an overwhelming lesson to all artists! Be not afraid of absurdity; do not shrink from the fantastic. Within a dilemma, choose the most unheard-of, the most dangerous, solution. Be brave, be brave! - Isak Dinesen

25. The Following User Says Thank You to gutss For This Useful Post:

thek is offline climbing the shoulders of giants Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of dedication is showing through in your work - always a good sign! Your not scared to try the unfamiliar too which is very important.

I like the details you've managed to capture in the camera piece, but I think with pieces like that it's best to capture the general things right first before concentrating on the details. Just to elaborate a little on what Onir said, get the background down first, then paint the general block/silhouette of the camera over the top, then start throwing your light source down and making sure the forms are correct. Then start adding the details to finish up. I really like the details you've got there but some of the forms seem a little off, and it's never easy adding a background after your subject has been placed!

Keep going, you've got a lot of imagination. Fuel it with your drive

27. The Following User Says Thank You to thek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sketch book's great!
    Your compositions are very nice. I really like the piece with the clouds.The details really came alive on the last one and the colors are very pleasing.

----------------------------------------
    My sketchbook:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136427

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    that's the spirit! also, sorry about your scanner. I hope it recovers

nice looking digital stuff though (neat character design!) and your painterly colouring is looking nice. I did a quick (maybe quite bad I APOLOGISE SRRY) paintover for you

all I can see is that his sword arm is a bit long, and that it looks ats though his elbow points inwards, when in fact it should be outwards if the arm is backwards. hope that helps a bit

good stuff!
    Thanks for the paintover - it helps a bit it felt like a suspiciously easy pose to draw but ohhh no =_=
    Quote Originally Posted by thek View Post
    A lot of dedication is showing through in your work - always a good sign! Your not scared to try the unfamiliar too which is very important.

I like the details you've managed to capture in the camera piece, but I think with pieces like that it's best to capture the general things right first before concentrating on the details. Just to elaborate a little on what Onir said, get the background down first, then paint the general block/silhouette of the camera over the top, then start throwing your light source down and making sure the forms are correct. Then start adding the details to finish up. I really like the details you've got there but some of the forms seem a little off, and it's never easy adding a background after your subject has been placed!

Keep going, you've got a lot of imagination. Fuel it with your drive
    I'm not sure if I intended to do a background or not but it defintly wasn't well thought out i need to work on my light sources - thanks mate
    Quote Originally Posted by batang-gala View Post
    This sketch book's great!
    Your compositions are very nice. I really like the piece with the clouds.The details really came alive on the last one and the colors are very pleasing.
    Thanks you very much

guess who got a scanner!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, here is something else - oil on 6'' by 4'' board or so

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah hah! Mugen.
    Or is it?
    Looks fine, just keep in mind that placing warm colors next to cool ones on a small area makes things muddy up.
    I'd like to see some anatomy studies. Your figures are a little unproportional and too short.
    I lke the coloring and style of those sketches. Really loose and dynamic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitallyDumbfounded View Post
    Ah hah! Mugen.
    Or is it?
    Looks fine, just keep in mind that placing warm colors next to cool ones on a small area makes things muddy up.
    I'd like to see some anatomy studies. Your figures are a little unproportional and too short.
    I lke the coloring and style of those sketches. Really loose and dynamic.
    yeah, this is a really small piece lol. about 8'' tall. This self-portait is much bigger lol thank you very much. As for anatomy studies, I used to do them a lot. At the moment I'm wary of copying drawings by other people and anatomy books, I'm even wary of photographs! I'm trying to work on ideas and composition at the moment I think. ~ i'll keep it in mind though!

oil on canvas board

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heyyy miss liz!

I love your oil paints. and your shadows. and everything. lovelylovely always so lovely!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to gutss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tah gutss.

after a long absence. I'll post some of the good stuff from what I've been doing between then and now. All crit is greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really nice sketchbook..
    ok i think im just gonna be a lurker on this site...i now feel totally useless at art :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    loking at your DA your pretty good! just set up a sketchbook and be prepared for crit. its what helps you improve. thanks for checking this one out though hurry and set up one of your own here for people to see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey lookie its a toffeeliz.

nice work you have been doing recently, keep it up .
    Try and pay more attention to your values, they seem a bit lacking.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Muz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really lovely color pages! I like that one of the fat pig guy. and like muzzoid said, values could use some more work

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 66