Custom Pattern Chalk Brush

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Custom Pattern Chalk Brush

I'm new to the Painter and I'm trying to get the hand of its brush customizing but it definitely doesn't seem to be an intuitive learning process.

I've seen a couple of threads here about pattern chalk and people discuss it as something easy and casual but...

Is there any chance that someone could tell me how to set up chalk brush to paint using custom patterns?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am new to painter aswell Miran

But as far as i know only the pattern pens work with patterns(i could be wrong lol) the piece i am working on i am using the pattern chalk

i hope this helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_B View Post
    I am new to painter aswell Miran

But as far as i know only the pattern pens work with patterns(i could be wrong lol) the piece i am working on i am using the pattern chalk

i hope this helps
    You kind of got me confused but I appreciate your response anyways.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Miran View Post
    I'm new to the Painter and I'm trying to get the hand of its brush customizing but it definitely doesn't seem to be an intuitive learning process.

I've seen a couple of threads here about pattern chalk and people discuss it as something easy and casual but...

Is there any chance that someone could tell me how to set up chalk brush to paint using custom patterns?
    In order to know how the "pattern chalk" discussed in those threads was used, we'd need to read the threads and see some examples. Can you post the URLs to the threads so we can take a look?

In the meantime, there's one brush variant in the default Painter X Painter Brushes library named Pattern Chalk. It's found in the Pattern Pens brush category.

Here's how it paints when in its default state, then with Clone Color enabled:

Here's another example, painting with Patterns, this time using three brush variants, one from the Pattern Pens brush category and two from the Cloners brush category:

Needless to say, there are many ways to paint with Patterns (either the currently selected Pattern or any open image that's specified as the Clone Source image in the File > Clone Source flyout menu by checking its file name).

#

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    In order to know how the "pattern chalk" discussed in those threads was used, we'd need to read the threads and see some examples. Can you post the URLs to the threads so we can take a look?

#
    I don't think that this was the point of my thread but I do believe that you got me wrong. I was merely saying that people don't go into details when discussing this tool because they're obviously familiar with it. Nevertheless, if you're new to Painter as I am, it seems much more complex.

In the meantime, there's one brush variant in the default Painter X Painter Brushes library named Pattern Chalk. It's found in the Pattern Pens brush category.

Here's how it paints when in its default state, then with Clone Color enabled:

Here's another example, painting with Patterns, this time using three brush variants, one from the Pattern Pens brush category and two from the Cloners brush category:

Needless to say, there are many ways to paint with Patterns (either the currently selected Pattern or any open image that's specified as the Clone Source image in the File > Clone Source flyout menu by checking its file name).

#
    Thanks for the instructions. Last night I started to realize how the brush settings work. After I experimented a bit with Dab and Source settings, it finally worked.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While the dabs is an interesting way to create a brush with a unique tip, it's not how you switch the pattern in the pattern brush. Your going to want to open the file you want to capture a pattern from in Painter. Do a select all or use the marquee to isolate your pattern. Then go to your toolbox and you'll see six little images at the bottom of it 3x2. First row second from top depress that little square and a list of patterns will pop up. In the top right corner of the list is a tiny triangle pointing out to the right. Press that and you'll see another list pop up. That list will say capture pattern on it. Go ahead and click that one and another menu will pop up. Don't worry about anything just name the pattern and then go back and choose your pattern chalk from the brush selector bar. Now go back to that second square on the left in the bottom of the toolbox and pull your list of patterns up again. Choose your newly captured pattern, and draw with it using the pattern chalk.

I almost should have just said pull up the help file in corel and search capture pattern. You'll find if you take the time to use it the help files can be very handy. Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    forgive me, but i still don't understand the process of creating a brush (like the tree bark).. i have painter X and i have custom textures from photos i'd like to experiment with as brushes.... yet when i create a new brush category... all i get is a regular felt tip pen.. in a new category. no texture...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Onge View Post
    forgive me, but i still don't understand the process of creating a brush (like the tree bark).. i have painter X and i have custom textures from photos i'd like to experiment with as brushes.... yet when i create a new brush category... all i get is a regular felt tip pen.. in a new category. no texture...
    The tree bark example I showed you was painted using an existing Corel Painter brush variant (see the demo image) with the Redwood Bark Pattern currently selected.

The brush variant I used only knows to paint using the currently selected Pattern and that could be any Pattern. Again, see my examples above and read the notes in those examples.

If you have an image that can be used to paint a seamless Pattern, use the following steps:

NOTE: Though, in the following steps, I suggest using one of the Pattern Pens' brush variants, many other Painter brush variants can be used to paint Patterns, as long as the brush variant is set to Clone Color (click to depress the Clone Color icon at the bottom of the Colors palette... looks like a rubber stamp).

1. Open a new Canvas.
    2. Open the texture image.
    3. In the File menu, choose Clone Source and check the file name of the texture image.
    4. Choose the Pattern Chalk variant (or whichever Pattern Pens' variant paints the kind of brush stroke you want).
    5. Paint on the new Canvas and you should see your texture in the brush stroke.

If the pattern/texture in your source image isn't large to match the area in which you want to use it in another image, and you want a seamless Pattern, you'll need to capture part (or all) of the texture image, then edit it to make the edges seamless.

To learn how to edit images to create seamless Pattern tiles in Corel Painter X, read the following:

Painter X Help > Help Topics > Contents tab > Textures, Patterns, and Weaves

Click the plus sign to the left of Textures, Patterns, and Weaves, then click Using Patterns.

On the right panel, near the top of the page, click the link named Creating Seamless Tiles then read the two sub sections named b[]To minimize seams[/b] and To remove edge lines.
    If your Patterns palette won't allow you to save a Pattern you create to the currently loaded Patterns palette library (as mine doesn't), save the Pattern as you would any image. Then, with the Pattern image open on the Painter screen, use one of the two methods listed below to specify it as the Clone Source or define it as the Pattern:

• Use File > Clone Source and, in the flyout menu, check the file name of the image you want to use as a Pattern, or
    • (Providing your Patterns palette will allow you do do this... mine does even if the rest of the Patterns palette isn't working properly), Select > All (select the entire Pattern image Canvas) and in the Patterns palette menu, choose Define Pattern. This will (temporarily) allow you to use the image as a Pattern as long as you don't choose another Pattern in the Patterns palette or use Select > All, then Define Pattern to use another image as the Pattern.

#

Last edited by Jin; June 25th, 2008 at 07:44 PM.
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.