Sketchbook: Another go! (October 27, 2009)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Another go! (October 27, 2009)

Hello everyone, my name is William Justin King and I'm a recent graduate of the Art Institute of Boston with a degree in Animation. I'm currently just working on my reel and portfolio, hoping to work in feature animation someday. I'm open to any and all criticism, so feel free to be brutal Thanks for looking!

----

Another go! (October 27, 2009)Another go! (October 27, 2009)

The next group are mostly digital doodles I've done recently; I'm driving myself to get better at painting now, digital and traditional (though I haven't been able to get back into oils for going on a month now.. soon hopefully). The face and kitty are from photos, and the bottle, door/cabinet setup, and legs are both from life. These are in chronological ordering going left to right.

Another go! (October 27, 2009)Another go! (October 27, 2009)Another go! (October 27, 2009)
    Another go! (October 27, 2009)Another go! (October 27, 2009)Another go! (October 27, 2009)Another go! (October 27, 2009)

And this last one is just some sketches of my roommates' bikes.

Okay these last links are to a few of my animations I have on youtube (I also have a post here with them, and I'll probably update it when I actually have more recent work).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73FC90yDfJ8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r_yRmSdzHs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBos5WQDT7U
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDS8pmpjzVk

And that's about it! I'll definitely be updating again soon and please feel free to comment and crit my work. Thanks for looking

Name:  sketchsection_02.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  18.1 KB

Last edited by Onir; October 27th, 2009 at 12:01 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Neato arts man. Enjoy the painting of the waterbottles, it gives off a nice vibe. Don't forget that painting is the same as drawing ! also...more contrast in your pieces will doo lots. cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DUDEEEEE you updated! not much to crit, just keep posting =P

how is school?

*subscribes*

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    --------------------------------
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    niiiice stuff - i esp. like the still lifes in digital and traditional as well as the kitten head. I think the size is ok as well as the angle. Great stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Onir! Thanks for stopping by my book, I appreciate the crit. Looks like you're going in a good direction... the lighting studies are looking good, the transparent amber colored (medicine?) bottle one is definitely nice... keep it up man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Goog - Thanks man I hear ya on painting and drawing, I really need to get more consistent with both haha.. hopefully this thread will help keep me going. I agree about more contrast, something I always have trouble with (both knowing how much to use and when to stop haha).

hp - Hey Emily! Hope ya don't mind me calling you that Figured it's about time I tried to get back into this thing... School is going well; last year was pretty busy but it helped me learn how to manage my time a bit better. How're things going for you? Are you still working at that studio doing texturing and such?

Toffeeliz - Thanks, glad ya liked em hehe I've gotten into the habit of writing comments like the head one to myself when I'm drawing; the perfectionist in me gets a little irked when things are off even the slightest (when using ref. of course).

Jska - Thanks! I was pretty psyched with the way the medicine bottle turned out (happy it reads as a medicine bottle as well lol), it was the first time I had really sat down and painted something digitally in a while. Makes me happy that traditional methods definitely carry over

--

Back with another digital study. I would prefer to update with at least a few things, but I took a fall on my bike yesterday and though I'm not hurt in any major way, sketching is hurting my shoulder a little. I'll get more up here though, dontcha worry bout that!

This was a funky kind of setup, and I realize now how much my ellipses suck lol. I learned that water is very hard to paint as well. As a quick side note, when I shrank the image down lines appeared between some of the marks I made; I tried covering up most of them, but if you see some random lines they're probably a result of that.

Thanks for looking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Onir View Post
    Toffeeliz - Thanks, glad ya liked em hehe I've gotten into the habit of writing comments like the head one to myself when I'm drawing; the perfectionist in me gets a little irked when things are off even the slightest (when using ref. of course).
    I get annoyed when that sort of stuff happens too, but lately I've realised it takes the fun out of it if you get overly stressed over a few marks on paper. Time for masterpieces later lol.

I think you did well on the elipse and the glass, the shadows on the table? are a litte off around the glasses base though I think.Hope your shoulder feels ok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Toffeeliz - Time for masterpieces later, eh? Haha that's certainly a good way to think. When my sketches don't look right to me I usually get frustrated and start over/go back to doing studies... which is why I don't have much work for myself I agree that the shadows do look a bit off now that you mention it, shoulda put a bit more thought into them. And thank ya, my shoulder has gotten better

--

Well, back with a few sketches. I hate the way I draw faces that aren't from ref, so I was doodling around trying to figure some things out. A big part of my goal is to get to a point where what I'm drawing are things I'd actually like to animate. I've yet to succeed in achieving any style that I feel fits what I want to do. How I can achieve such a thing is beyond me at the moment.. I probably should do studies from styles that I like instead of purely from things that are realistic. A few faces here and there and the 3 top figures on the last page are reffed from characterdesigns.com, otherwise these are just doodles out of my head (a random face or two is from the Animators Survival Guide as well.

After these pages I got frustrated and felt brushing up on anatomy can't hurt. So I turned to Bridgman (I left my intense anatomy book at home, but Bridgman is definitely a great source either way) and did some torso studies. Took a few notes too.

Thanks for stopping in! Advice/crits are always welcome and appreciated

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. I see you have second sketchbook. It's great to finally see new updates after long time.
    I like those still life paintings. Good observation of proportions and really nice colors. After those many years of drawing my ellipses suck too . The best excercise would be to just draw tons of them on some big paper but it can be a bit boring.
    Maybe try to slow down a bit when shading. Here the cast shadow doesn't read well - http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...n/nsk_0002.jpg. I know it's all quick sketches but being too fast for very long time can lead to some bad habits.

Keep posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Farvus - Hey man, thanks for stopping by You're very right about me needing to slow down when I sketch.. I've got a reaally bad sense of time when I draw. Minutes feel much shorter than they really are, so I often feel as though I've been drawing for 10 minute when it's only been 5. That and trying to stay in gesture mode even in longer drawings makes things a bit harder than they should be hehe.

--

Back with a bunch of doodle pages; for some reason I haven't done much photo ref. work lately, outside of a few heads here and there (and the dog and figure quick studies from Ken Anderson on the page with the dude lounging). Trying to get better with quick life drawing as well as imaginative stuff, so gonna keep chugging in that direction. Got lots to work on (including animation stuff which I SHOULD be doing but am too lazy to start), so please feel free to crit the crap outta me on anything I post lol.

For some reason I really like the way the knees at the bottom of this first one came out...

I gotta try to format these images in a more attractive way...

Yea though, thanks for looking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello once again, back with a few things; couple of digital pieces, a pencil study, and a small animation done in Flash.

The face is from reference, done in about 30 minutes. I was just kinda going with the flow messing around, and when I saw 30 minutes had passed I decided to stop. Kinda like how it came out; gotta keep working at that... The second piece is just a doodle.

After looking at a drapery thread over in the Art Discussion (I think) forum and realizing that I need to improve my grasp of form and shape A LOT, I decided to draw a shirt I have on my door, as well as my jeans and towel in my closet

and this last one is a short animation I did as a gift to my Dad for his birthday. I still haven't given it to him, as I want to finish one for my brother as well (their birthdays are 4 days apart; last week as well ) and I'm slowly working away at that. It does have some VERY basic interactivity in the actual file, but I'm just posting the animation here. I suck at actionscript anyway

As a quick note, this was the first primarily straight ahead (no planning poses, just drawing frame after frame and deciding as you go) animation I've done for quite a while. Was lots of fun, gonna definitely keep screwing around with it.. see what I can come up with hehe.

Thanks for looking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks for giving feedback on my animation!

I like the birthday clip you did, nice and simple, fluid and nice key poses. I see your doing some photoreffing up there for poses, may I suggest that you get out there and do some cafe sketching? I bring a small watercolorset in an altoids can and a brush pen with water, plus a nice inkpen.=no erasing! I even put a small metal beltclip on the back of the altoids, so i can clip it to my SB, thus I am free to use both hands. Good for standing up to capture a quick pose.
    then just start sketching away! mentally tell yourself, "this is a 10 sec one of the action of getting coffee over there, this is 30 sec of the action of reading the menu" etc etc. After you have slaughtered a few sketchbook, you'll see immense improvement, both in line quality, confidence, and color. I really cant recommend it enough! I have some on my homepage.
    And keep the crap sketchbooks! Whenever I'm feeling like I just wanna give up, I pull out a SB three books back and realize that Im improving!

Keep It up mate!

Tim

Attached Images Attached Images  
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

14. The Following User Says Thank You to timpaatkins For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo dood. youve made some serious progress man in your book. your still life studies are great, especially the cat, keep it up man, drawing from life is so damn essential to.. to.. to-everything! im subscribed. rock on!

edit: this is great. brilliant example of what im talking about. you already know 4 quick rows of quick pencil dashing is enough to render the backdrop to all the lighter shadows present. . all a learning experience, and its looking good

my book o' doodles

Interested in some Team CHOW? i'm all for it :3

Thanks
    Thanked 5,554 Times in 3,739 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook; lots of variation. I’m sure I’ve seen your animations somewhere else as well, but forget where. Keep going.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    timpaatkins - thanks so much for the advice man I love going out and drawing in public, but I always find it hard to bring myself to; I also find that I suck at drawing in public lately so that doesn't help lol. I do know of some cafes I could go to around here, so I'll probably give what you're saying a go. Looking at your work I can definitely see that it pays off

fragmentedchimp - thanks much man You flatter me about that one sketch hehe, I was just kinda going with what felt good at the time. I'll definitely keep drawing from life though, certainly seems like it pays off in everything as you said

Black Spot - thank you Hmm I might have a similar style to someone I'm not sure of? lol I've only really shown my animations on here and on youtube.

--

Back again with some sketches and doodles. I sat outside of the mall on the 4th and drew for 30 - 40 minutes; got a decent number of drawings, though they aren't all that great. I can't seem to get a figure down quick enough.. I'm sure it'll come in time, so I'm just gonna keep choppin away!

I'm beginning to feel more comfortable doodling in Painter with the harder edged brushes, but I still suck pretty bad at blending. Things to work on.. hehe

Thanks for looking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello once again; back with some sketches in such.

Went to the doctor earlier this week and apparently the reason my shoulder was hurting is because I injured my rotator cuff Taking medicine to help bring down inflammation, and it's helping so far... luckily drawing never hurt my shoulder much so at least I've been able to do that hehe. Been doing a bunch of quick sketches lately (some in cafes as timpaatkins suggested), so that's what most of these are. I've also got some gestures from posemaniacs and a still life (both of which I did before the big batch of gestures I did yesterday and today).

Chair drawing I've got mixed feelings about; made me realize how much I suck at pencil rendering lol.

Posemaniac gestures; redrew a few poses with costumes at the end.

and quick sketches from yesterday and today. I've been reading about quick sketches and from what I'm gathering quantity + thoughtfulness = improved quality? lol Either way I'm going to try and fill up this little sketchbook with as many of these things as I can.

Had to bunch them all into one image (didn't really want to post up 13 pics hehe), so I apologize for the weird formatting.

Allrighty, thanks for looking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gah, been over 2 weeks? woops To be fair, the internet in my apartment was down for about 2 weeks so it wasn't as easy as I would have liked to update. Lately, though, I've just fallen back into that rut of not wanting to scan alot of things which, in turn, makes me not want to update.

So, I've got a few things, just to get the ball rolling again. All recent, just practice and stuff. The little guy up top is a sprite I made for Sinix's sprite animation weekly thread over in Community Activities. It's a lot of fun! I learned a good amount from it as well; go check it out!

Thanks for looking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Back with a few things; I went to the museum Wednesday night and drew a bunch of stuff. It took me a little bit to warm up (as the first drawing will show) but I felt pretty good by the last one (which is my favorite of the bunch). Also I've got a couple doodles and a flipbook I did when the internet was down.

I shot this with the equipment at my school; stupid me chose the one stand with a broken light, then I forgot to change the resolution of the pictures lol. Makes a decent gif though.

Thanks for looking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i keep trying to post in your sketchbook and then CA always goes down

cool animation...you should post more like that.

i think you've got line down pretty good, i would work more on form. as an animator you prolly are more about getting just a quick thing down though.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love the last animation bit! theres a lot of cool people studies in here and since they seem relevant mostly to animation I'm gonna ask this; do you film people when you're out and about? I think I've heard of some animators doing that...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...n/refsk_14.jpg that one made me interested - I think it was the 100%opacity that did it. Nice and bold....now go do it in real oil paints!! I got all excited when i saw your sketching watercolours set too lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hp - Ahh yea CA goes down a decent amount for me as well; sall good either way, thanks for stopping in either way Glad ya like the animation, I really should do more of those.. pretty relaxing actually hehe. I completely agree about my form though, been trying to figure out what to do to get better at it recently. Probably gonna go look at some Bridgman and continue doing still lives.

Toffeeliz - Thanks! Hmm I don't film people when I'm out and about, but that's a really good idea. People have lots of eccentricities that I'm sure I've wanted to take note of at a later point. Yea gonna have to keep that in mind Good to hear you like that painting as well, I'll have to mess around with that some more. Oh and sadly that isn't my watercolor set timpaatkins was just showing it to me as an example; I actually lost my little watercolors about two years ago lol, haven't gotten the will (or the money lately) to go and get some new ones. Soon though!

--

Cool well got a few more things; been trying to do at least one digital thing a day, regardless of whether or not it's a long study. Got some pencil reference sketches as well.

Going chronologically:

I wanted to paint something with a more simplistic shape, so I grabbed the thing I hold my night-time retainer in. Kinda of a funky shape, but it was good practice albeit harder than I would have thought. The bike is just a doodle that rose from a scribble.

These next two are both about 20 minutes each and are from photo references. I was going for a bit of color and a bit of shape. I suck at quickly rendering form so I think (maybe just hope) it helped in that a little bit lol.

Ref images here and here.

some fashion studies from one of the sites in the reference forum and a study from Alex Kanevsky (the guy with the pant leg rolled up is just a doodle, not from a photo).

aaaaand lastly my sprite for this week. Was lots of fun, though I wish I had spread it out over a few days

Okay! Thanks for looking as always

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, I like your little notebooks! Even your anatomy notes - of course, it's a requirement at Animation College that they beat the idea of 'a structured figure, not linear!' into your head.* I like your paintings too! Once you unlock the key to softening and blending, you ought to keep a balance between literal hard and soft edges between shadows, corners, light, etc. You're making great progress! BTW, you should make your little jumping action man-to-ball GIF into a user avatar, that'd be cool in showing your repetwah around the forums.

*Former casualty...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your retainer looks awesome! really nice values.

as for the landscape i would try using some more blending in a few select areas. since you like hard brushes you might try barontieri's watercolor brush (i'm not sure what the actual brush is called...it's relatively hard edged but it has good blending capabilities)

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Euphemism - Thanks! I kinda find it fun to write notes to myself when I'm out drawing and stuff; not sure why, just picked it up in high school and been doing it since lol. I really feel like I'm struggling with the structured figure lately; I've focused so much on line quality that my rendering and ability to put objects in space have fallen behind. I definitely agree about my edging as well, another thing I'm really trying to get better at hehe. Glad to hear I'm improving though Can't really feel it at times, ya know? And you flatter me about that little flipbook lol; I'd make an avatar but I don't think it's high enough rez, I'd have to crop it, and I think I'm a bit bashful for that

hp - Thank ya! Blending is a really good idea, I just really suck at it lol. Guess practice makes perfect though, eh? I'll definitely look for Barontieri's brushes as well, certainly sounds nice from what you're describing

--

Back with two digital studies. The first I did last night before bed; I only intended to spend a little bit on it but I got sucked in and went for over an hour on it. Lots of fun, though the setup I had was pretty strange. The second is a failed SP lol.

So yea I took a pill bottle (anti-inflammatories for my shoulder; it's much better now, but I still have a couple days left) and placed it on top of a small thing of gesso and put it in front of my second monitor. I put a black background up behind it and worked in the dark; got a neat subtle glow effect through the bottle. Hard stuff, I definitely made it lighter than it should be (greener as well), but was lots of fun.

And this is a self portrait I stopped on midway through (hence the roughness and the missing right pupil lol). Things were going alright, I was noticing alot of problems and was slowly chopping my way through the mess when I got distracted and stepped away for like 40 minutes lol. This took I'd say between 30 - 40 minutes; I take a while to get to a simplistic block-in stage, though I'm getting faster little by little.

Thanks for looking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the retainer box is fantastic! Lovely blue colours. The head looked like it was going along fine. I've tried to stop myself leaving a piece that has errors on now; I reckon they will always happen but my aim is to get more finished work done now - probably not what you're aiming for. Glad to hear that you don't have many more anti-inflammatories left, maybe you could have used a harder brush/ darker colour to define the pills inside more? keep it up man its great to see your updates.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to CarmelW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    don't forget the ear =P i hate ears myself.

maybe do what zord had to do in IA's mentoring thread. take a photo of yourself and use the cutout filter in photoshop to simplify it. then as you finish the simplistic one, maybe increase the number of pieces the cutout. might help in getting you to simplify the form faster, ionno

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

30. The Following User Says Thank You to hp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ow. I missed many updates here.
    When did you get so good at painting? Those still lifes look amazing! It's also great to see you're doing tons of life drawing. That's something on which you improve really fast. I think sometimes you don't pay enough attention to form. There's often just general silhouette of character and maybe gesture but shading lines doesn't show the the volume. Make the hatching wrap around the form and you'll get more 3d result.

Unless it's some specific excercise, you could allow yourself for some opacity in this self portrait. I mean different opacity in pen pressure. Blending values can be a bit spoiling thing for painting skills and I generally try to paint all planes with completely opaque strokes but you still have to show some difference between soft and hard edge.

Keep it up. I'll try to look here more often.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Toffeeliz - Thanks! Hmm I guess I'm aiming for both finished and more unfinished work; I almost feel like if I can stop part way through a piece and still have it work to some degree then I'm working in a good direction. Finished work is always nice to have, though, and I reaaaally need to start making some hehe. Goood point about the pills as well lol, they do kinda just look like blobs at the moment.

hp - I didn't notice the ear until you mentioned it! lol I really need to keep that in mind from now on. That cutout idea is pretty genius as well, sounds like a nice way to force you to see simpler shapes. Hmm gonna have to go find that thread Thanks!!

Farvus - Aww you flatter me hehe With the new school year starting and graduation beginning to loom over me, I've been feeling I really need to kick it in to gear if I want to survive after school lol. You're absolutely right, my work lacks form verrry badly most of the time; I'll definitely start working more structurally in my shading. I tried messing with the sensitivity on my tablet in painter after reading your post and I got some interesting results. Blending feels a bit easier now hehe, so hopefully I'm taking a step in a good direction.

--

Thanks much for stopping in guys, I appreciate it I'm back with some traditional and digital stuff; my roommate helped me to pick up the brush again so I've started using oils a bit more recently. It's kinda nice going between digital and traditional; very different approaches and feels, really helps me appreciate both of em hehe.

This first oil study was done a couple of weeks ago; just took me a while to upload the pics It was about a 2 hour session, was trying to get a better feel for wet in wet painting. The odd self portrait was about 1.5 to 2 hours long; I kinda started with a simple shape I saw and went from there (hence the baaad placement on the board). LOTS of mistakes anatomically (lips are too wide and I do NOT have a square jaw like that) and it kinda warped as I went (as my roommate said it's pretty pear shaped), but it was fun overall. Got a couple of close ups for details along side each.

Some digital doodles; I haven't done much observational stuff digitally lately (which will change soon), but these two doodles were lots of fun and I kinda feel like I learned something from both.

Thanks for looking as always!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the self-portrait is quite nice (if a little moody lol) the dragon doodle is really fun too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. I realised I got your old sketchbook in saved subscribtions. Now it's ok.

The oil painting self portrait looks good. Values could be better but the skintones are really well done.

The dragon has funny pose. As you see I have similar observations to Toffeeliz

Keep it up!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3