Sketchbook: It came from Slidell, Louisiana... - Page 31
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Thread: It came from Slidell, Louisiana...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you are still in school, you might look into whatever art program they have. I would definitely suggest studying life drawing/still life/anatomy. However that is just standard advice. The journey of an artist is a long one, so it's good to get a start on the basics early, it will make things easier later on. Don't stop drawing the stuff you love to draw though and keep posting here!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zhao7931de9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To Zhao: Good point, and thanks for visiting.

Here's something new and I need to draw and post more often.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New foot studies!

My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

That first foot study isn't bad at all. Unusual perspectives like that is always refreshing and good to take use of in your illustrations.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sometimes you make decent stuff, sometimes it looks really weird.
    The stuff that looks really weird are the things will a lot of balls and stuff then you redraw the thing but it still has no structure.

You need to look into actual anatomy and not rely on those shapes. I know they help in the beginning but it comes a time when you need to take those training-wheels off and start working at it for real. See how the actual bone structure look like, see how the muscle structure look like. I think you already understand the general shape of things and it's time to take the next step.

I've seen anatomy studies in this thread, but you don't seem to apply them in your drawings. Repeat your studies from imagination, else a lot gets lost.

Do the anatomy, repeat the anatomy. Draw figures and remember the anatomy and apply what you know to these. Draw figures from your imagination and apply all of this.

Stop rendering these simple shapes (boxes, spheres, etc). They look like they are done from imagination, that won't teach you anything. Put up some stuff on your desk, put on some lightning and draw/paint it. That's the only way you're going to wrap your mind around form. If you need simple objects to start off with, then use things that are simpler, like fruit. That's why you start off with that at artschool.

Your dedication is great and you should keep that up. Just put that focus on the right things. I'll be coming back and give you more critique later because it seems like you'd need it. There's too much asspatting in this thread and that's the last thing you need.. sadly that's the usual comments you get now days.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loathsome For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Conny, that is the kind of critique I was searching for. While the method that I use may be great for construction in cartoons and harder angles; it's not much of a substitute for actual anatomical study. There have been times that I thought that I haven't made a lot of progress, but times where I thought the exact opposite. This may not be an excuse, but just an explanation for what I have been doing for quite a while. Others include boredom, lack of inspiration, and not knowing what to do next.
    This isn't much, but it's better than nothing...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FightingSeraph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't done something like this for some time that turned out good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two pages from one of my new sketchbooks, and more will come later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More attempts at drawing from life, anatomy from imagination, and learning about composition and levels of variation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey fellow Louisianian! Nice seeing another somewhat local artist on the web no less.

The last picture on post #910 looks great. Keep working! I'd suggest instead of using lines, start working on form. Countless lines won't do anything unless you can study the form and the way a body looks. The point of anatomy studies is to memorize the body. In general, putting the whole thing together, repeatedly, in different ways, is key.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to feavre For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To Frostelle: Thanks for the advice, and which part of Louisiana are you from anyway?

As for the latest mannequin, I first did the gestures with markers, then went over them with a pencil in an attempt to correct any proportion mistakes.

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Loathsome View Post
    I think you already understand the general shape of things and it's time to take the next step.
    General shapes are most important in a composition. Work big to small; it's a heirarchy of shape, tone, and line. Anatomy is a detail; it may ultimately help you understand the overall shape, but the overall (big) shape is king.

Stop rendering these simple shapes (boxes, spheres, etc). They look like they are done from imagination, that won't teach you anything.
    Drawing shapes from imagination is definitely good practice, especially when you draw through the shapes. If you ever want to draw convincing figures from imagination, this is how it is done... you begin with 3D forms.

Put up some stuff on your desk, put on some lightning and draw/paint it.
    Yep; it is good to practice still life, because it is simpler than the human form.

That's the only way you're going to wrap your mind around form.
    Not sure I'd agree; I think you can approach form with many different techniques... one would be observation/still life/study/etc and another is rendering 3D shapes from the mind.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To P Sage: Nice counterpoint, but I would have liked some actual criticism from you.

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingSeraph View Post
    To P Sage: Nice counterpoint, but I would have liked some actual criticism from you.
    I won't pick out anything specific; but a general theme would be to draw things you like, and get critiques of those. Discover your weaknesses and eliminate them one by one.

Your studies seem to lack focus and they aren't as precise as they could be; but I think if you focused on drawing things you like (as described), you'd improve faster... at least in that way, you'd figure out what to focus your study on first... and you'd have less chance of becoming discouraged.

If you're trying to get better at the craft, you'll have to do the work and make most of the discoveries on your own.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

19. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks P Sage, that means a bit to me.

Here's some new stuff, and hopefully I'll get to draw & post more often.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quick observation of the poses in #917. The hips look too wide in most of the poses to be a guy. 1st 2nd and 5th to be exact. The arms look scrawny in the 3rd and maybe his calf muscles. Other than that he's perfect. The only thing I see wrong in #4 is that the leg closer to the viewer is smaller than the leg that is farther away. The forearm in pose 2 looks long.

Looks like you've progressed a lot since you've been here. Keep up the good work fellow Louisianian.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Dead Reckoning For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To Dead Reckoning: Thanks for being specific, and for having the balls to have such a generic-sounding screenname. By the way, which part of the state are you from?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some more mannequin studies, and more NG users worth checking out:

http://paragonx9.newgrounds.com
    http://nemesistheory.newgrounds.com
    http://kajet.newgrounds.com (Creator of the original Over 9000 video, but his music is excellent!)
    http://obsidiansnow.newgrounds.com
    http://a-n-d-y-j.newgrounds.com
    http://kgz.newgrounds.com
    http://box-killa.newgrounds.com (Also animates from time to time.)
    http://xarnor.newgrounds.com (He signed up there a few years back, but requested deletion due to some assholes spamming the "zero" vote.)
    http://guitarmasterx7.newgrounds.com (I don't agree with this guy at times, and him & his friends do nothing but goof off on YouTube. However, he's really funny and makes music.)
    http://waterflame.newgrounds.com (Also an adept artist.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New value studies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More practice with blending and multi-liners.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Introducing NapoleObama! A one-shot jab that is sorely needed these days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought these photos might give you some inspiration. It's from light show. I notice you been creating a lot of shapes to create forms. Basically they are like wire frames for construction. The better you are at creating basic shapes out of wire frames the more easier it combine them into complex forms. You can take the shapes and crop them, squish or pull. Vipplu is has a excellent book on this.

For your hand studies. Instead of using pure ovals, why not try a combination. Like spheres in between the joints and cylinders/rectangles that tamper for the finger bones. That way you can discover and manipulates shapes that best work for you. When at times you can't force shapes use contour to suggest subtle form. Always draw from life too, so you can associate the shapes and perspective from you 2d studies. If you have a chance to get into a figure drawing class or draw from live model, it makes the Loomis studies click that much faster.

Last edited by Pigeonkill; December 29th, 2011 at 12:31 AM.
    Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Pigeonkill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To Pigeonkill: Thanks for the suggestions on how to ameliorate my drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More random shit...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This isn't much, but I needed to practice with color theory and flash:
    http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/...81dff4af6048f0

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been so long since I did any Hogarth studies.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,425 Posts
    Follows
    Following

I am so happy that you are still working.
    You are a true warrior.

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

36. The Following User Says Thank You to LtPlissken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry

It's my b-day again...so far not a damn thing has changed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy Birthday! And do not be discouraged! Just draw draw draw.
    My advice is view other people's drawings and replicate them. It helps you understand certain aspects of form and value

Subscribed and can't wait to see your progress!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Kino_PuA For This Useful Post:

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 16