Sketchbook: Untouched24's Sketchbook

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Untouched24's Sketchbook

Hey everyone. I'm starting this sketch book after looking over these forums for the past few weeks and being inspired by all great work and progress so many people have made. Mile's and some other's sketchbooks I have browsed here have inspired me by allowing me to see how much someone can improve in such short periods with consistent practice. I'm now making a commitment to draw everyday (even if I only have time for a small sketch) and I'm going to also make an effort to be consistent with posting new work as often as I can.

I'm currently a student in a local community college and after some time I have figured out that I want a career in the 3D industry (leaning towards being a modeler). I finally figured out what school I want to attend and am planning on getting an AA in illustration at my current community college so that I can build up my traditional art skills enough to submit a portfolio that could be accepted to my desired school. I'm only really going to be posting traditional stuff, as thats what I need to work on a lot at this stage. I'm also extremely unfamiliar with photoshop (and painting) so hopefully down the line when I'm able to afford a tablet I can start beginning and progressing in digital paintings as well.

Any comments, suggestions, critiques, or help of any kind would be extremely appreciated. I have a long way to go with my skills and welcome all the help I can get. Thanks.

(I will be posting some sketches today, as soon as I get my scanner up.)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Untouched24; May 12th, 2011 at 05:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are a few sketches I've done today and yesterday. Let me know what I can do to improve. Also, regardless of how I draw lips, they seem to always look female, anyone know the defining characteristics between the two?

(Posting one first to make sure it works)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, it works. Heres a few more.

(I know my hands need a lot of work, one of those first ones is way off, but it was pen.)

Last edited by Untouched24; June 12th, 2008 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Added comment

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 370 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm looking forward to watching you progress man and thanks for the mention in your post

Just keep on drawing and updating, also don't forget to do imagination stuff 'swell. Keep it comin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Miles_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In this last one the forearm seems short and the head needs some work.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ash888 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies.

Miles: Thats a good idea, I need to make sure I balance out the studies with original stuff, I really don't do enough of that. Doing full original pieces really tests your understanding of everything without having a reference. I'm trying some gladiator guy right now, I'll post it when its finished.

Ash888: You're right. I think part of the reason the head seems off is the brow is too high, also I just need to practice.
    As for the arm, after looking at it for a bit, I seemed to have not drawn the back of the elbow, (the upper arm seems to connect directly with the forearm) so I think that makes it seem shorter. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, heres the gladiator I did. Didn't turn out as bad as I thought it might. I'm decently happy with it. It was done pretty much all without reference aside from the helmet.
    Took quite awhile to do as I work slow and am still not too confident in my work. Let me know what you guys think or how I can improve. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep the studies and the imaginative work coming dude! Looking forward to see more stuff!

Hey, Come visit:

And also:

SuiraDefiledVision Snobby

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dannelf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the support Dannelf.

Heres another little study. Legs this time. I didn't get too much time to draw over the weekend because of work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres another drawing from imagination. Anything I can improve in terms of rendering? I feel like it looks very similar to the gladiator. Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, good start to a sketchbook. Don't worry you won't probably see improvement from one pic to the next but it'll definately make its way if keep working like this.
    Don't forget to do full figure studies as well so you don't end up with body parts you can't attach in a believable way. some quick ones to convey movement are always helpful. keep it up and don't forget to have fun on your way!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to monotony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your figure are a really cool start : ) I too am practicing drawing the figure. It's hard work. Nice one keep it up.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sketchie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start.

The naked dude pulling those metal chains... ouch!

Keep it up. Keep drawing and you'll start getting the hang of it

The Eternity Wars
    My Sketchbook

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DreamstateIvory For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook so far! I like the guy with the chains, and the gladiator. Although there seems to be some kind of perspective problem with the gladiator's head. Not sure if it's just me. It should be almost 2/3 view, so his right eye should be sunken back more a bit or not visible at all. Not sure if I'm doing a good job at explaining. It looks too flat, too 2 dimensional.

I also wanted to applaud you on working on your traditional skills first, the 3d industry is very competitive and a lot of people want to skip the traditional part and get right into the computer programs (which are easy to learn). Having traditional skills will definitely give you an edge when you start working in 3d.

A: Because everybody knows that white is the default race.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Samurai_em For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Monotony: Thanks. Yeah I just need to keep at it and I'm sure I'll start seeing it over time. The full figure studies is also a good idea, I'll start doing some of those soon.

Sketchie: Thanks. Good luck to you too.

DreamstateIvory: Thanks, I'll have more coming.

Samurai_em: Yeah, I see what you mean, his eye looks off to me too, just not 100% sure why.
    And yeah, I really want to be where I need to be in my traditional art skills before I dive 100% into 3D.

Anyway, heres a few little crappy sketches I did while watching a Vilppu DvD on proportions. I need a lot of practice, theres not too much because I was mostly watching, not sketching too much.
    I also realized I need a lot of work on heads, so you'll probably see a lot more head sketches coming soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eh, didn't have too much time today, have to leave for work soon. But heres me continuing to struggle with heads. I'll get it soon, hopefully.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 906 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    good studies, double the pace and redouble the efforts! I hope to see you pumping multiple pieces out soon!

'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Delicious For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr. Delicious: Thanks, yeah I'm trying to use all the time I have. Trying to pick up the pace.

Anyway, heres a full body study like Monotony suggested, I'm also going to try to do multiple faster sketches soon. This one I spent a decent amount of time on.
    I'm also posting more head sketches, seems making the facial features bigger helps, I was making them pretty small.
    It's funny, I feel like my drawings are getting worse, but I'm pretty sure it's just me becoming more aware of my weaknesses. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your last head sketches, seem a little disproportionate.The eyes on the one on left are far right. But this you probably already know. I too have the same problem with drawing heads, especially from imagination. Good going though.

Although, Very Niiice. I can already see you improving. Your full figure sketch is very good & looks just right to my eye. Keep going, dont stop. I also need to heed that advice, he he. Niceone

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sketchie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Sketchie. Lol, its funny, I did know about the eyes being that way, but sense you pointed it out I'm more aware that I do it quite often. If you look at many of my faces the eyes seem to be at least a bit more towards the right. I'm going to start drawing vertical lines down the center before I do anything to try to fix that.

I'll try to get some stuff posted today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres some more heads, and some hands I referenced from my own hand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some improvement here.

I was directed to this website for studies and its helped me understand the hands and arms a bit more. If you get bored from just drawing your hand

http://www.archive.org/details/const...anat00briduoft

Keep on uploading

The Eternity Wars
    My Sketchbook

33. The Following User Says Thank You to DreamstateIvory For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DreamstateIvory: Hey, thanks for the comment. I tried going to that site you linked but got this error: "The item you have requested had an error: Exhausted all choices for locator URLs. Item cannot be found. which prevents us from displaying this page."

Here are a few more studies. I did a follow-up to the full body study I did before, but this time the back side. I did a few skulls, and two quick sketches of a mma fighter and boxer.

Oh, and a question I've been forgetting to ask. I remember reading a post or two some time back when I first started visiting this site. Someone was giving advice and said to never smudge the pencil with your fingerwhen shading, but to make sure to use the tip of the pencil instead. Is this a general idea when learning to draw? Is it a bad habit to get into, and if so, why? Thanks.

Last edited by Untouched24; June 26th, 2008 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Question

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't have as much time as I wanted today. So heres just a few sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, its Friday, which means I have to leave for work soon. I at least got in a few head sketches, but now I have to get ready to go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't get as much done this weekend as I was busy all Saturday, and worked Sunday, but heres a few things I did.
    I did a few heads from imagination as well as the profile of a body, about half of it was from reference.
    I then did some arm studies, and also a few more arms, as well as a leg and some heads from imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few really quick sketches without reference before I have to leave, with yet another angry guy. They didn't turn out too well and I need to become better at foreshortening.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're working hard! are you doing many anatomy studies from books? That would be good practice for you. in post #28 the tricep that you have drawn looks really straight. Try to get the curves in there. try to do more refernced drawing too. Good work dude, keep at it.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Hybrid_75 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like you are making some progress here. Keep up the good work. It's always good to draw every day even if you can only draw for a few minutes. That happens to me a lot.

I tried to look up "Smudging with your finger" but the search function on this site brings up every post with the word "with" in it. I did a google search and I got lots of Revlon Make-up tips

I did fine one website that just said "Never use your finger... use something dry... cotton ball, torillion etc. etc." Didn't really see a reason why not to use your finger. I guess because you will get oils from your hand mixed in with the pencil? I have some blending sticks that I bought at an art stor that work really good for smudging. You just need to some fine sand paper, or one of those sanding pads that they sell at art stores for when you need to resharpen/clean them off. Although right now I'm trying to get good at just shading with the pencil.

A: Because everybody knows that white is the default race.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Samurai_em For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there! things are getting better! Keep working!
    I don't really know if there is any other reason not to smudge with the finger except from it's good to get more confident with the pencil doing it with the edge of it.

Hey, Come visit:

And also:

SuiraDefiledVision Snobby

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Dannelf For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 12