Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: help with color... and everything else.

Thanks

help with color... and everything else.

I don't have a ref for the guy... I know, I know at this point I should be using one.

I'm really trying to get some color in there. I keep killing the color on accident as I add to it.

I don't really know what I'm looking for in responses, but every time I post, you guys make me better so here it is.

edit-- the goal was to get more comfortable with color, faces... well everything --
    Last edited by c4l3b; June 13th, 2008 at 01:09 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    playing with the face. if you look really really close... and use just a little bit of imagination... there is a hint of color!

Thanks

Thanks
    redid the hands to be more defined and have some color. dropped the tie a little bit.

Thanks
    The background is beautiful in my opinion. I would like to see more detail on the face and hands, so I could determine the mood of the figure.
    Gwenlyn Norton
    Gwenlynsgallery.com

Thanks
    Hey, looks pretty good so far; the pose is well done, though his head/face does seem a bit off (his face is rather flat compared to the angle his head is at). As you said ref is probably a good way to go in terms of the figure at this point but yea as you're looking for some color advice, I'd say that you should just take a step back and consider what exactly you're looking to achieve. Going with the background I'd assume he's in a very yellow area or a yellow mist of some sort; if so there would be a lot of yellow on him, as you have done. Overall the piece is very desaturated, which isn't a bad thing, but I'd say you should consider the intensity of the light and how that would effect the color around him. You can up the saturation of the yellow depending on where you want it to be stronger and, conversely, you could increase the saturation of the shadow shapes if you'd like the color to focus more in that direction. Also consider how his body is acting and reacting within this environment; is he hot or cold and how is his body handling this? I saw you added red to a subtle red to his facial area; you could take it further to describe his environment and compliment his pose if you wanted.

Obviously, just some things to think about (if you've already considered these things then I guess I'm just rambling ) and in the end I'd say just try being adventurous. Think of colors you like or don't like, throw them together, and see what you can come up with Keep working at it either way and best of luck!

Thanks
    Pushed the contrast. screwed some stuff up. fixed some stuff. Overall, I'd have to say that it is still very monochromatic. The little bit of color doesn't make me want to puke though, so I'll put this in the success column of learning experiences.

Oh, and in case you're curious this image popped into my head while listening to "fillipino box spring hog" by Tom Waits.
    --http://c4l3b.muxtape.com/ to hear the song. --

Thanks
    Gwenlyn Norton - thanks. the mood is hard to explain. vagabonds dancing and singing because they're cooking a pig.

Onir - yeah, the face is a little flat. I've gone in and tried to define more shape to the head, I think it was an improvement. Color is a sore spot with me, so keeping it low key is just a self defense mechanism I guess... I'm working on it.

thanks both, for your feedback.

Thanks
    a different approach to the color.. slightly less monotone I guess.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,868 Times in 3,972 Posts
    The hand on the right and the tie need to come down in tonal values a bit. The tie also needs to be lit further up to nearer the collar. That’s a nice gesture you’ve got going there.

Thanks
    thanks for the tips. I've toned down the hand and tie. also added some orange to the skin. WOW, I've learned so much on this one.

Thanks
    help with color... and everything else.

If I end up with a soft picture, I usually make a new layer and trace what I have to find my edges again and then use that as a guide. I hope you don't mind me painting over it for reference.

I'm not sure what hes looking at but if you want a more dynamic pose, I've outlined it in green.

Thanks
    haha, yeah it does look as though he is surprised doesn't it... the pose came from the idea that he is singing and grooving down. I guess I could have actually painted in some guys banging trash cans and playing banjos. This isn't ever going to be anything more than a practice image, so I'm not too concerned with the any composition or anything. Baby steps right?

on the bright side, he does look like a human(as opposed to some of my earlier attempts). that's a bonus!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast